Mackie C200 - under the hood - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #91 of 121 Old 09-04-2016, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I had a couple nice compliments on the Mackie speakers and theater room in the last couple days.

A fellow off craigslist, who is a self proclaimed audio enthusiast, (who was currently traveling cross-country to pick up some full size towers) came over to buy a couple Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 car audio subwoofers, and while here, he listened to my system. He didn't say much at the time other than to ask the price of the speakers, and said they sounded really good. Just today, about a month after he listened to them, he texted me with some questions. He said my system was among the best full systems he's ever heard and he wanted to know more about it. During the demo, he asked how much the Mackie C200 speakers were, saying they sounded like high end monitors. I told him they cost $200 each street price, and were being powered off my AVR. He said he would have guessed they were $1k monitors, and couldn't believe I wasn't using separate amplification for the speakers other than the AVR.
This is a direct quote out of that cell phone text conversation -
"Your Mackies are impressive as anything else I've heard..including my $12k Polk SRTs..considered the pinnacle of HT speakers by many."

SRT speakers for reference -

Another forum member came by this weekend and listened to my current setup for the first time. He owns very highly respected ID dealer equipment - I won't mention the name, but the speakers he owns cost ~ $3.5K each and they are highly regarded on these forums. That means about $10K on just his front three speakers. He said the Mackie setup sounded really good, and he mused after listening to the 7.1.4 Mackie setup if he should sell his speakers, pocket the money, and use Mackies. You can buy 11 Mackie C200 speakers for a 7.1.4 setup at full MSRP for $2,200 -- less than a typical single audiophile speaker.

For both of these guests I did reference level auditions with multiple demo clips. As a third testament I've recently watched a custom Gravity rip with Atmos and 3d in my room. In my subjective experience --- it is the single best audio cinema experience I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I'm a couple years in at this point and still really enjoying these speakers... I've been to a lot of home theaters belonging to avsforum enthusiasts, and despite surely some home field advantage playing into my opinion, I still think this Mackie and DIY sub setup is one of the best full cinema setups I've heard --- comparatively also - it just happens to be one of the cheapest. These speakers are a overlooked jewel for cinema use.
carp, LTD02, Gooddoc and 7 others like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 09-05-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 09-04-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I have not been able to find the words yet to articulate my thoughts and feelings on the Mackies's YET..... I will try

But for now THANK YOU!!!!
LTD02 and Archaea like this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #93 of 121 Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I had a couple nice compliments on the Mackie speakers and theater room in the last couple days.

A fellow off craigslist, who is a self proclaimed audio enthusiast, (who was currently traveling cross-country to pick up some full size towers) came over to buy a couple Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 car audio subwoofers, and while here, he listened to my system. He didn't say much at the time other than to ask the price of the speakers, and said they sounded really good. Just today, about a month after he listened to them, he texted me with some questions. He said my system was the best full system he's ever heard and he wanted to know more about it. During the demo, he asked how much the Mackie C200 speakers were, saying they sounded like high end monitors. I told him they cost $200 each street price, and were being powered off my AVR. He said he would have guessed they were $1k monitors during the demo, and couldn't believe I wasn't using separate amplification for the speakers other than the AVR.

Another forum member came by this weekend and listened to my current setup for the first time. He owns very highly respected ID dealer equipment - I won't mention the name, but the speakers he owns cost ~ $3.5K each and they are highly regarded on these forums. That means about $10K on just his front three speakers. He said the Mackie setup sounded really good, and he mused after listening to the 7.1.4 Mackie setup if he should sell his speakers, pocket the money, and use Mackies. You can buy 11 Mackie C200 speakers for a 7.1.4 setup at full MSRP for $2,200 -- less than a typical single audiophile speaker.

For both of these guests I did reference level auditions with multiple demo clips. As a third testament I've recently watched a custom Gravity rip with Atmos and 3d in my room. In my subjective experience --- it is the single best audio cinema experience I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I'm a couple years in at this point and still really enjoying these speakers... I've been to a lot of home theaters belonging to avsforum enthusiasts, and despite surely some home field advantage playing into my opinion, I still think this Mackie and DIY sub setup is one of the best full cinema setups I've heard --- comparatively also - it just happens to be one of the cheapest. These speakers are a overlooked jewel for cinema use.

Hey, when you compare them to others do you find them lacking in sound stage or big sound? I have found the only thing lacking from 10inch driver speakers is the size of the sound. The 15s sound so big to me. I know technically a 10 has better or wider dispersion than a 15 but 15s always sound bigger with bigger dynamics.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 121 Old 09-05-2016, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Hey, when you compare them to others do you find them lacking in sound stage or big sound? I have found the only thing lacking from 10inch driver speakers is the size of the sound. The 15s sound so big to me. I know technically a 10 has better or wider dispersion than a 15 but 15s always sound bigger with bigger dynamics.
Hey James,

I can't say I've noticed the speakers sounding "small". But in way of full disclosure - a local friend, @Scrappydue said he though they sounded smaller than his double 15" Klipsch cinema speakers (IIRC?) installed in his theater. Think something along the lines of the JBL 4722n speaker is what he has, but made by Klipsch. He can poke in here and give you the model number for reference.

Small sounding to me is 6.5" drivers (or smaller) in audiophile speakers. Where as volume increases towards reference (even -6dB levels), they start sounding tin filled, the sound character changes, and they start sounding a bit like hearing something out of a can. I'm repulsed by that. One of the first tests I do on a SPL calibrated system is turn it up to -6dB and play some demo clips. I've found through quite a few demos that you can pretty much use that volume to separate the chaff from the wheat - without going fully to reference. Typical audiophile center channels start sounding relatively bad at about -6dB.

I don't get that audible feeling, personally, out of the Mackie C200 all the way to reference levels in most every clip. I think some content inherently has that sound - so of course you get it there, but I don't think a large speaker would fix it. Take the Jericho missle strike demo for instance in Ironman. Ironman's character's voice during the missle introduction always sounds a bit small and boxy on that particular clip - regardless of speakers I've heard it on --- so yeah you still have media/source issues.

As far as sounding big, one of the guys visiting this weekend, with the $3,500 mains, specifically commented on the gunshots of a clip played at reference stating he thought the Mackie system (using Audyssey XT32) was really dynamic for gunshots. I'd think if he thought they sounded 'small' relative to his experiences that would have been an entirely different comment. I've never had mains with 15" drivers in my theater room - so I can't comment on the other side of this conversation as far as ownership. I have experienced a few speakers with 12" drivers in my theater rooms, and I don't think I lack "big sound based on woofer size" as compared to those experiences. (JTR 212HT (Borrowed), Mackie C300Z (owned and returned because I couldn't tell the difference against the C200 and the C300Z cost more), eD Cinema 12 (owned and sold)).

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 09-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.
post #95 of 121 Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM

I am just curious. I periodically listen to the SHO-10s and that particular setup always sound great but lacking that big cinema sound although very detailed and dynamic. I wonder how much of a difference the subs make. I know my Dr-200 with 8 inch woofs sound really big and dynamic but that is fully horn loaded so a different beast. I remember you saying the truths playing much less than specs but I think they performed their specs. You mentioned you lose 10dB at the seats from the wall and Behringer has them listed at 110 dB Max Spl. Their 116 dB rating is for a pair! So in your room the max they will play is 100 dB or so. Basically falling way short of true reference. The Mackies are listed at 118 dB so they would play at 108 dB. They compress at the upper register at 105 but nobody would notice in the blind. There is always compression before max output for any speaker. I lose 6 dB at my seats so it gives me more options. I really like the 20khz extension rather than falling off at 15khz but most won't notice but it looks so awesome in sweeps!
post #96 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
The models I have are the kpt-904. They have dual 15's and a very nice b&c compression driver mates to the k-510 horn (which is a pretty good horn). Since having these speakers I have yet to go demo at someone's house and leave wishing I had what they have. Before, when I first moved to Kansas City, I visited carp, then archea, and a couple others. I wanted JTR bad. But I knew I couldn't afford it. So I stayed with my brand and kept trying various setups. Finally got to try these cinema speakers. So with the JTR I think the thing I liked at first was how loud they could play. First time I ever seen anyone go to 0 on the volume. Is this what high sensitivity speakers can do? Seemed that way. So I went home and tried the same thing and none of my stuff did it as easily. Then Jonathon and I figured out Klipsch specs were way off. Fast forward a year and I got the chance to buy a cinema setup at a price I could afford. Got it all hooked up and loved it. Everyone that's heard them thought they were great. Been to everyone's house since and never left thinking I made the wrong decision. Even carps 215 jtr's, I left there thinking they have a different sound than mine but not really better or worse. Maybe more refined with music. But with movies, the big pro paper cone woofers just do it for me. And not sure if it's those or the 2" throat on my huge HF driver that provides the "huge" sound. Like mk said. That "theater" sound. I just enjoy it.
post #97 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
I am just curious. I periodically listen to the SHO-10s and that particular setup always sound great but lacking that big cinema sound although very detailed and dynamic. I wonder how much of a difference the subs make. I know my Dr-200 with 8 inch woofs sound really big and dynamic but that is fully horn loaded so a different beast. I remember you saying the truths playing much less than specs but I think they performed their specs. You mentioned you lose 10dB at the seats from the wall and Behringer has them listed at 110 dB Max Spl. Their 116 dB rating is for a pair! So in your room the max they will play is 100 dB or so. Basically falling way short of true reference. The Mackies are listed at 118 dB so they would play at 108 dB. They compress at the upper register at 105 but nobody would notice in the blind. There is always compression before max output for any speaker. I lose 6 dB at my seats so it gives me more options. I really like the 20khz extension rather than falling off at 15khz but most won't notice but it looks so awesome in sweeps!

I had a similar experience with small speakers sounding "small". I loved my SEOS12/Delta 10" speakers and thought they sounded great...until my first GTG in 2013.

Jeff brought a trio of Triple12 for the LCR for the GTG. Near the end of the day Jeff packed them up and we put the SEOS12 in their place, and holy cow what a difference. That huge soundstage was gone.

I was surprised but thought it was probably just the unfinished room we had just thrown everything in the night before, so I didn’t really give much thought to an upgrade.

Once the new room was finished, the MLP was about 20ft back vs. the 10ft it was in the old room, and I could definitely tell the SEOS12s were starting to struggling at reference. I shortly after upgraded to Yorkville U215 and BAM that huge soundstage was back. Then Jeff brought the 215RT next year and it was quite noticeable when we tried the SEOS12s again. Whole GTG crew commented that they sounded good but had a “small” sound.

Maybe the baffle wall helps with this?
post #98 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Yes, the big sound is one of the first things one notices when it is gone. The question becomes how big of a difference it makes from different drivers. I keep reading about how great the LSR 305s are but are they comparing them in a setting better for them or better for a cinema. I would guess better for them. If the Mackie has the same drivers as the SEOS 10 that can't be much different from one another. I owned the pures and although a great speaker(I did really like the sound) it lacked that big sound.
post #99 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Yes, the big sound is one of the first things one notices when it is gone. The question becomes how big of a difference it makes from different drivers. I keep reading about how great the LSR 305s are but are they comparing them in a setting better for them or better for a cinema. I would guess better for them. If the Mackie has the same drivers as the SEOS 10 that can't be much different from one another. I owned the pures and although a great speaker(I did really like the sound) it lacked that big sound.

Were your SEOS in the baffle wall?
post #100 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM

No it was not and why I want to give them another shot, but the sentinel. For some reason the berries in my wall work extremely well. There has not been one speaker I have owned for my room that plays as loud as smooth. Of course I need to try more.
post #101 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 1990
Quote:
Of course I need to try more.
Of course!

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #102 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I own LSR 305 connected to a Onkyo 5508 and a Jamo Sub650 (which is flat to 20hz). I bought a set from Randy Bessinger to try them out when I sold the Behringer Truth after reading all the rave reviews about the JBL on here.

Quite frankly - I liked the Truths better, but the JBL LSR 305's are half the cost, smaller, and just fine for what I use in my bedroom setup. They sound good - but they are no where near any kind of cinema speaker. They are overated on these forums IMO for anything but simple low volume use. They sound good for the money and good for the size. So you can't complain about those characteristics - but that's the full story. They aren't ground breakingly good - IMO, and I've listened to them as much as I had the Truths.

The Behringer Truths had an aspect to them that made me just relax and melt into my chair for two channel use. I've never got that subjective ohhhhh ahhhh feeling from the JBL. I don't listen to the two channel system enough to matter though because anytime I would listen to them the Baby's asleep in the bedroom. I'll probably sell the JBL LSR 305 at some point, when I get to use the two channel setup more, and try the Truths that have the ribbon tweeter.
LTD02, Gooddoc, MKtheater and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-06-2016 at 08:06 PM.
post #103 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's super lame that the Truths say 116dB "for a pair" on that max SPL rating - that seems atypical and like marketing BS. I don't recall seeing that before, but I just looked it up and see you are correct in the product manual.
https://media.music-group.com/media/...30A_QSG_WW.pdf
post #104 of 121 Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Just when I am about to jump out the plane Archaea pulls me back in! Thank you! The only time we have disagreed was with the DR-250s but my room has lots of absorbtion and I EQd them to be super flat and not harsh. I literally made sure they rolled off the highs at the seat and were flat until 105 dB peaks which means I made them about 99-100 dB sensitive to do so. They won't fit anymore but I would love try a compression driver version as I love the design. I have owned many speakers that sound great but many can get a little overbearing at reference or above including the U215s I borrowed. The berries and the pure 10s were the only two speakers that were relaxed or smooth sounding at reference but the difference is size of sound. My DRs were bigger sounding than the pures by a wide margin and my DIY JBLs sound just as big as well as the berries when compared to the JBLs. I still wonder how my berries would sound with a SEOS horn and 1000hz crossover.
EarlK likes this.
post #105 of 121 Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
I own LSR 305 connected to a Onkyo 5508 and a Jamo Sub650 (which is flat to 20hz). I bought a set from Randy Bessinger to try them out when I sold the Behringer Truth after reading all the rave reviews about the JBL on here.

Quite frankly - I liked the Truths better, but the JBL LSR 305's are half the cost, smaller, and just fine for what I use in my bedroom setup. They sound good - but they are no where near any kind of cinema speaker. They are overated on these forums IMO for anything but simple low volume use. They sound good for the money and good for the size. So you can't complain about those characteristics - but that's the full story. They aren't ground breakingly good - IMO, and I've listened to them as much as I had the Truths.

The Behringer Truths had an aspect to them that made me just relax and melt into my chair for two channel use. I've never got that subjective ohhhhh ahhhh feeling from the JBL. I don't listen to the two channel system enough to matter though because anytime I would listen to them the Baby's asleep in the bedroom. I'll probably sell the JBL LSR 305 at some point, when I get to use the two channel setup more, and try the Truths that have the ribbon tweeter.

I didn't remember that you had the 305's. I bought a pair to try out that will get here tomorrow, maybe to use on my screened porch. I may try out the Behringer Truth's too, I remember really liking them at the park. Supposedly the 305's have the M2 sound without the output obviously. I guess the M2's aren't for you!
post #106 of 121 Old 09-07-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I didn't remember that you had the 305's. I bought a pair to try out that will get here tomorrow, maybe to use on my screened porch. I may try out the Behringer Truth's too, I remember really liking them at the park. Supposedly the 305's have the M2 sound without the output obviously. I guess the M2's aren't for you!
@Gooddoc ,

Doc, I think you've heard the LSR 305's right? Aside from output how do you think they compare to you M2???

My impression of them is they don't really sound like they try to be a flat/netural speaker. The difference between the 305 sound and the truth sound was pretty significant. There was more bass on the 305 (within reason for a 5" driver) and it didn't sound as neutral - sounded more like a preference curve built in on the 305.

Also when I turn mine up they get a plastic creaking port sound - like a lose port or something. Nothing too serious, and obviously at a volume they aren't intended to be played at (even for a two channel bedroom setup) I think they sound good for their cost and size - but...

Well you'll see Sheldon. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. If we had one more we could demo a little 5.1 setup for the benefit of science. I think they'd be a fun little 5.1 bedroom setup for sure.

post #107 of 121 Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
@Archaea

Will you be able to plot a polar map for C200 ? In the same format as
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post36292882
[the one in their manual is different representation and anyways not a 3rd party measurement]

Thanks!

post #108 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
@Gooddoc ,

Doc, I think you've heard the LSR 305's right? Aside from output how do you think they compare to you M2???

My impression of them is they don't really sound like they try to be a flat/netural speaker. The difference between the 305 sound and the truth sound was pretty significant. There was more bass on the 305 (within reason for a 5" driver) and it didn't sound as neutral - sounded more like a preference curve built in on the 305.

Also when I turn mine up they get a plastic creaking port sound - like a lose port or something. Nothing too serious, and obviously at a volume they aren't intended to be played at (even for a two channel bedroom setup) I think they sound good for their cost and size - but...

Well you'll see Sheldon. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. If we had one more we could demo a little 5.1 setup for the benefit of science. I think they'd be a fun little 5.1 bedroom setup for sure.
I've heard the 305's many times. I don't think they compare at all. They are a nice speaker for the price, but the M2 is on another level.

This isn't about volume. The M2 sounds better than the 305 at all volumes IMO. I am very confident of the outcome of a blind A/B of the 305 vs. the M2.

In fact, I pretty much feel the same about the 305's as you do.
Quote:

The 705/708 are the speakers that you need to listen to if you want to get closer to the M2, not the 305/308.

And I wouldn't trade out my M2's for those either.
post #109 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I just told Archaea, the 305's are not a mini M2. Not sure how that whole perception was started, but I have enough experience with both to say it's just not the case.

There is no doubt the waveguide of the 305 makes it hit way above it's price point IMO, and once you get to the point of the 305 or the Mackie, the delta between speakers shrinks dramatically. But the differences are real and notable compared to the M2, even if arguably not worth whatever price differentials exist.
post #110 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:

The Behringer Truths had an aspect to them that made me just relax and melt into my chair for two channel use. I've never got that subjective ohhhhh ahhhh feeling from the JBL.....
How do you find C200s for 2 channel, music only, listening ?

post #111 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
As I just told Archaea, the 305's are not a mini M2. Not sure how that whole perception was started, but I have enough experience with both to say it's just not the case.

There is no doubt the waveguide of the 305 makes it hit way above it's price point IMO, and once you get to the point of the 305 or the Mackie, the delta between speakers shrinks dramatically. But the differences are real and notable compared to the M2, even if arguably not worth whatever price differentials exist.
Well, I guess I'm not surprised. Even though diminishing returns happen pretty quickly with speakers, at some point you do get what you pay for and I got these off Amazon for 125 a piece with free shipping - crazy cheap for all the praise they get and it made me curious enough to check them out.
post #112 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm not surprised. Even though diminishing returns happen pretty quickly with speakers, at some point you do get what you pay for and I got these off Amazon for 125 a piece with free shipping - crazy cheap for all the praise they get and it made me curious enough to check them out.
I don't think you made a mistake at all. They're a nice speaker, and a fantastic value IMO.

I haven't heard the Truth's or mackies, so I can't say where they land there.
carp likes this.
post #113 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound View Post
How do you find C200s for 2 channel, music only, listening ?
Like PA speakers.

They need subs as they start to roll off at 90Hz - so if you mean 2.1 channel you might be okay.

They get 5 star reviews everywhere for DJ/PA use - but that's definitely obviously using subwoofers.

If you just want a dedicated 2 channel bookshelf or tower system probably look elsewhere.

post #114 of 121 Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Like PA speakers.

They need subs as they start to roll off at 90Hz - so if you mean 2.1 channel you might be okay.

They get 5 star reviews everywhere for DJ/PA use - but that's definitely obviously using subwoofers.
I meant with subs. Would be needed with any of the above discussed spks. No point avoiding subs
post #115 of 121 Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

We recently held the 2017 Kansas City Home Theater Crawl. > 50 people attended.

The Matching Mackie C200 setup received some nice compliments.

A couple of my favorite, repeat worthy comments, were that the matched Mackie C200 system had the best sound of the crawl from one well known out of state forum member who texted me the message, and another that the matched Mackie system had the best surround sound and Atmos integration of any system he'd ever heard, that comment was publically posted in the crawl thread by beastaudio in post 1180, so I feel fine mentioning his name here.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post51027545

These comments were at my auditioned SPL levels during the crawl of anywhere between actual reference (0) MLV and -4dB MLV based on the individual demo clip played. (= high end commercial movie theater loudness equivalent)

FWIW, I purposely took my Sherbourn 7-350 amplifier out of the mix because I wanted there to be no question for the greenhorns of "was it because he had a audiophile $4000 amp that the Mackie's sounded good?" No the L/R were driven by a Crown XLS-402, and the center by a bridged Crown XLS-202. I would have used 100% AVR power, if the Denon had enough channels of internal amplification. It does not. It only drives 9 channels, the other channels you have to use external amplification. So I drove everything but L/C/R off the Denon AVR in the 9.1.4 setup to remove the amp question from the demo.

I had recently picked up a Sherbourn 7-350 amplifier again because one of the locals was selling it for a good deal at $800. (I originally had one of the Sherbourn 7-350 from the Emotiva closeout deal for my JTR 228HT, but the senstivity of the JTR was too high and Audyssey pegged speaker levels to -12 in my smaller former home theater room, so I sold it)

Anyway, I hooked it up to the Mackies before the meet, and of course couldn't' tell a difference, so in talking with a friend, @stitch1 , he questioned why muddy the water with a premium amp attached to value speakers for the attendees who are just learning. Good point. I haven't decided if I will keep the amp or not. I'm tempted to keep it for future proofing purposes -- ie when 9.1.4 AVRs are available for less than house mortgage expense levels, they may not internally power all the channels, like my Denon does not now. In that instance it would be nice to have a single amp to power the extra channels. If I never was going to upgrade anything I'd just resell it since it doesn't make an audible difference with the Mackies. I still can't get a clear answer if 9.1.4 based immersive audio is actually in the pipeline? There is some discussion that we may only get more ceiling channels but the bed channels will remain restricted to 7 channels. I don't need more than 4 ceiling speakers since I only have one row, but I wouldn't mind having 9 bed channels if such were actually available.

post #116 of 121 Old 02-27-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I dunno, I'm tempted to go find my sold CHT SHO-10s that are laying around in Omaha and bring them down to KC.

For old times sake, of course. Or if they fare well, find 8 more?

@Archaea

In all seriousness though, I need to come here kcnitro and yours again.

Last edited by HuskerOmaha; 02-27-2017 at 06:21 PM.
post #117 of 121 Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Thought I would share my little "review" of the Mackies C200's that I posted in my build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
The Mackies
I wanted to start with these as they continue to surprise and amaze me at the dynamics and clarity that is produced from this relatively inexpensive speaker. I was able to get these 3 for $250 each CAD.... and think that I would be hard pressed to find a comparable speaker in this price range. Now price isn't everything (I am thrifty but willing to spend where needed) the sound needs to be there.... and it is. When listening to 2 channel music I have caught myself wondering if the center is on by accident.... but nope it's always off... the depth of the sound image is spectacular.... all the musician are where they are supposed to be and the lead singer forward.... on some tracks almost like they're sitting in a chair in front of the screen singing to me. I can not say enough great things about these speakers and don't see them leaving my system for a very long time. Thanks @Archaea for introducing me to these speakers
Archaea likes this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #118 of 121 Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Listening to Pandora today on the Mackie C200. Did I mention lately, that I'm still really impressed with these Mackie C200 speakers?
With the Ultimax subs and Dolby Surround mode on my Denon x7200wa all tuned in with Audyssey multiEQ XT32 --- it all sounds incredible to my ears, and puts a big goofy grin on my face.
carp, LTD02, Waterboy77 and 3 others like this.

post #119 of 121 Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 PM

That is a good thing!
post #120 of 121 Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Listening to Pandora today on the Mackie C200. Did I mention lately, that I'm still really impressed with these Mackie C200 speakers?
With the Ultimax subs and Dolby Surround mode on my Denon x7200wa all tuned in with Audyssey multiEQ XT32 --- it all sounds incredible to my ears, and puts a big goofy grin on my face.
. You have me very interested in 3 of these for LCR channels behind a screen. I currently have 3 very well reviewed 5" British speakers the q acoustic 3020's up front. My room is small at L16feet w8.2feet h7.4feet. Do you think that the mackies would over power my room? Also would not be able to have matching surrounds because of the room size, what would you recommend that would work well with these at normal bookshelf size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page