AVS Forum banner

Cheap Crown Amp Power $99

57K views 637 replies 111 participants last post by  Marc Alexander 
#1 ·
#625 ·
I bought these 2 of these amps a while ago and I just had the time to finally hook them up an play with them. I also had a really bad hum coming from my Klipsch speakers but I followed Archeas advice on using the phono ground on the back of my 4311 to help cure the hum. I hooked a wire up to both amps, using a screw on the case itself. Then tied it to the Denon Phone ground. My hum went from pretty loud to very soft hum. Not as annoying anymore. As far as playback, for music I noticed a big change on how the speakers opened up. I know this could all be in my head (placebo) but I do notice some change. For movies, I only noticed a difference when I was playing above -30 MV. For $99 dollars a piece, this was probably the 'cheapest' upgrade to my home theater.

#629 ·
I went from powering my fronts with my Denon AVR to the Crown X1000 powering them and the difference is night and day. MUCH more presence from the speakers with the X1000 and the clarity seems better. To me, it felt like it woke up the fronts big time. I know the X1000 is capable of giving the speakers about twice the power of the Denon, but even at moderate listening levels it just sounds WAY better.

I did have to do the ground wire from the amp to the AVR fix, though to obtain these results.

#630 ·
It's all gonna depend on the avr and the speakers really, but klipsch are generally high enough sensitivity to not need that much power. The higher end denons have decent amp and power supply sections as well.

Easy enough to measure distortion w/ a mic between the two if you have em running at the same level. Was just saying would prob be better w/ the receiver if you're stuck with a ground loop that you can't get rid of. That's annoying.

#635 ·
I bought an x3000 a few weeks ago from MF at the 249 price. I'm using it to drive a pair of Magnepan 3.6r I purchased used a month ago. Using an Pioneer SC35 for the preamp. The x3000 really sounds nice! The fan noise is very very minimal with no signal playing. Its quieter than my Toshiba hd-xa1 fan! It doesn't run hot playing the maggies at a loud signal at all, just alittle warm air out the back of the amp. No fan mod needed with this amp at all! Never heard or felt the fans running hard anytime.

Reactions: Jay1
#638 ·
Well...I voided the warranty on two amps by swapping fans from a X2000 into the X4000. The fans in the X1000, X2000, and X3000 are all the same. I'll either buy new fans for the X2000 or run the X2000 and X3000 with one fan each (taking up the empty exhaust ports). The fan noise on these is cumulative and becomes slightly noticeable when you have a stack of 3 or 4.

I am going to sell one of my 3000s. I don't need it. I have an Outlaw 7075 for my rear surrounds and ceiling speakers.

The X4000 fan is the second set of fans in the attachment.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.