Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie DIY

I'm new to HT and DIY projects.
I'm looking for a DIY set of towers and center channel that would be a good fit for my room. Room in 26x24 with 14ft ceilings. I have a sectional dividing up the room. I was think the Tritrix DIY but I'm not sure it would be good for the room size. I'd like a design that has cabinets because I have no woodworking skills yet. I like to keep the cost of the towers and center around 1K if possible.

I've read threw hundreds of post and seem to get more confused the more I read. Im sure you guys probably need more info but I'd like some help to point me in the right direction so I don't make a bad speaker choice. I current have no components so I'll be buying everything I need in the next month.
Just wanted to say thanks in advance for any help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Seems like 1099 are a good fit , or the new fusion 15. Both would be fantastic in your room.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I'll start reading up on both of them.
I'm open to other options as well. Is there a place or a forum member that sells
these?
I'd also like a few suggestion on a sub.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1k View Post
Thanks for the reply I'll start reading up on both of them.
I'm open to other options as well. Is there a place or a forum member that sells
these?
I'd also like a few suggestion on a sub.

Steve
Try looking here for some ideas. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

For subs you may want to start here. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...tysub-faq.html and here is another great read https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-projects.html

post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
I'm looking for a DIY set of towers ...I'd also like a few suggestion on a sub.
If you're going to run subs you don't want towers, you want dedicated tops that only go to 70Hz or so. Towers are for when you don't have subs handling the low end.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
If you're going to run subs you don't want towers, you want dedicated tops that only go to 70Hz or so. Towers are for when you don't have subs handling the low end.
I'm a little confused. I wanted towers or floor standing speakers to stand on the side of my tv stand. The plan would be to have a 5.1 or 5.2 setup but I wanted to start with the LRC first. What would be best for HT 80% and music 20%.

Steve
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice
Towers are for when you don't have subs handling the low end.
Or for when you don't want speakers on stands.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
I'm a little confused. I wanted towers or floor standing speakers to stand on the side of my tv stand. The plan would be to have a 5.1 or 5.2 setup but I wanted to start with the LRC first. What would be best for HT 80% and music 20%.
Look at the SPL chart for a floor stander and a dedicated top. Cover both of them below 80Hz. What's the advantage to the floor stander?
Floor standers are large because they have to be to provide adequate output below 80Hz. If you're not using them below 80Hz that added size, and higher driver/crossover costs, aren't doing anything useful. Floor standers typically don't go below 30Hz with any authority either, so if your main use is HT, where you want high output capability to at least 25Hz, you need subs anyway.
As for your esthetic concerns, decide right off which matters most, how your system sounds, or how it looks. There are those who don't care if their system sounds good, so long as it looks good. They tend not to be members of the DIY camp. Some of them even buy Bose.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Look at the SPL chart for a floor stander and a dedicated top. Cover both of them below 80Hz. What's the advantage to the floor stander?
Floor standers are large because they have to be to provide adequate output below 80Hz. If you're not using them below 80Hz that added size, and higher driver/crossover costs, aren't doing anything useful. Floor standers typically don't go below 30Hz with any authority either, so if your main use is HT, where you want high output capability to at least 25Hz, you need subs anyway.
As for your esthetic concerns, decide right off which matters most, how your system sounds, or how it looks. There are those who don't care if their system sounds good, so long as it looks good. They tend not to be members of the DIY camp. Some of them even buy Bose.
Ok this makes some sense to me. I still have a lot of reading to do.
Could you point me in the direction of some good dedicated tops and a center to match? Would it be good to do my surrounds the same as the front LR?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page