Awesome WAF/SAF Builds - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 323Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 233 Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
@CBdicX , nice job! What did you use for connectors? Those look just like some open screw banana plugs....
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 233 Old 06-15-2015, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
@CBdicX, nice job! What did you use for connectors? Those look just like some open screw banana plugs....
I used gold plated screw connectors that can take up to 7mm wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luidsprekeraansluiting-verguld-ja.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	777025   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2443.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	777033  
CBdicX is online now  
post #183 of 233 Old 06-18-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Going to build a second sub soon, ordered the (same) woofer but is going to be used "upside down".
The SL W330 is designed to be used with the front facing in.
Also a second Behringer A500 will drive the 2nd sub.
How and what i will soon post here.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL-W330.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	783026  
CBdicX is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 233 Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
PS. just thinking would having one sub "out of phase", so one is pushing and one is pulling, give a "better" bas respond then both in the same phase ?
One is located on the back wall in the middle 2 meter behinde the MLP, the other will be located on the front wall, right corner, also about 2 meters from the MLP.
Both locations give the best possible bass SPL in the MLP, i checked this with a SPL meter.
Your thoughts please about out of phase or not.........
CBdicX is online now  
post #185 of 233 Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
PS. just thinking would having one sub "out of phase", so one is pushing and one is pulling, give a "better" bas respond then both in the same phase ?
One is located on the back wall in the middle 2 meter behinde the MLP, the other will be located on the front wall, right corner, also about 2 meters from the MLP.
Both locations give the best possible bass SPL in the MLP, i checked this with a SPL meter.
Your thoughts please about out of phase or not.........
Not really. Phase ensures that the peaks from the subs are not cancelling each other out at a specific point in the room. It also helps to align the subs with the mains. This is also dependent on distance settings. If you have Audyssey, set both subs to 0 phase and run cal. During the cal, you can adjust the phase of the subs (one at a time) to get the best freq response at your MLP. Keep in mind that the phase adjustment may only improve FR at certain frequencies. You may boost a 40Hz tone and have a null at 80Hz. Bass is fickle and highly dependent on your room dimensions and sub placement with respect to the room modes (corners, walls, ceilings, etc.).

If you have two subs on opposite walls and adjust the phase on one to zero and the other to 180, and are standing exactly in the middle, you should get cancellation. With one sub near-field, you may need to adjust phase if you don't have a calibration program like Audyssey with SubEQ.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #186 of 233 Old 06-18-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Ok, thank you for your reply.
I will use the Behringer A500 for both subs so i can only revers + / - , think that will be the same as 0 vs 180 degree.
I will try if it will ad or remove bass from the MLP when i reverse one sub.
Thanks......
CBdicX is online now  
post #187 of 233 Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Ok, thank you for your reply.
I will use the Behringer A500 for both subs so i can only revers + / - , think that will be the same as 0 vs 180 degree.
I will try if it will ad or remove bass from the MLP when i reverse one sub.
Thanks......
Your situation will definitely benefit from phase adjustment. Make sure you run slow sweeps with voiceover stating the freq so you can determine where your peaks and nulls are.

Here's a link to the test tones:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php
climber07 is offline  
post #188 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Your situation will definitely benefit from phase adjustment. Make sure you run slow sweeps with voiceover stating the freq so you can determine where your peaks and nulls are.

Here's a link to the test tones:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...cychecklow.php
Thank you for the help.
I will sure give this a try
First i need to determen the design of the sub to keep myself and the wife happy


PS 2 questions:


1)
i use now 1 Behringer A500 to dirve 1 sub in mono mode (375 watt RMS).
The A500 can do also stereo at 125 watt RMS, would this also be "enough" to drive 2 subs or will a second A500 be better/usefull ?

2)
And must the woofer always be centered symmetric, or can it be also placed in a wide box and have the woofer more to the left of the (sealed) box, asymmetric ?

Last edited by CBdicX; 06-19-2015 at 02:47 AM.
CBdicX is online now  
post #189 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Thank you for the help.
I will sure give this a try
First i need to determen the design of the sub to keep myself and the wife happy


PS 2 questions:


1)
i use now 1 Behringer A500 to dirve 1 sub in mono mode (375 watt RMS).
The A500 can do also stereo at 125 watt RMS, would this also be "enough" to drive 2 subs or will a second A500 be better/usefull ?

2)
And must the woofer always be centered symmetric, or can it be also placed in a wide box and have the woofer more to the left of the (sealed) box, asymmetric ?
Can you post links to the specific drivers you are looking at? For subwoofers, especially sealed, you are going to want to be very close to their recommended RMS rating when selecting an amplifier. Too little wattage will cause the subwoofer not have adequate SPL.

As far as box design, sealed is much more forgiving than ported with regard to box size. When ported, the internal dimensions and port size/location play a critical part in tuning the box to the driver and the amplifier.

Here are some recommended links for designing boxes: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #190 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Hi, here the info of the woofers i used on pag 6.
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/...live-SL-W330-4-

And the T/S, it "wants" 74 liter, thats no problem ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-S-W330.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	785202  
CBdicX is online now  
post #191 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
squiers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newport, OR
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Hi, here the info of the woofers i used on pag 6.
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/...live-SL-W330-4-

And the T/S, it "wants" 74 liter, thats no problem ;-)
This doesn't list the power handling which would help to determine a compatible amp.

Also, so as not to get this thread any farther off track, could you please start your own thread so we can help you there and allow others to post there WAF/SAF builds in here. Thanks.
BacHolz likes this.

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
squiers007 is offline  
post #192 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
This doesn't list the power handling which would help to determine a compatible amp.

Also, so as not to get this thread any farther off track, could you please start your own thread so we can help you there and allow others to post there WAF/SAF builds in here. Thanks.
Maybe my questions are not interesting for you but are related to "WAF/SAF builds" as i am in the process of building a 2nd sub and just finished one.
I see no differents in asking about wood, size, used woofer, ect, and my questions.
I am very happy that i get answers and/or corections to my ideas to help me build a better sub !
Thank you.........
CBdicX is online now  
post #193 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
squiers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newport, OR
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Maybe my questions are not interesting for you but are related to "WAF/SAF builds" as i am in the process of building a 2nd sub and just finished one.
I see no differents in asking about wood, size, used woofer, ect, and my questions.
I am very happy that i get answers and/or corections to my ideas to help me build a better sub !
Thank you.........
I have no problem with your questions and I'm more than happy to provide my opinions and help you out, as I have been doing...

However, my thinking was that this thread was a place for people to post the builds they have already completed that are WAF/SAF type builds so others could view them in one place and use them as inspiration for there own builds...

Maybe I'm wrong and that was not the original intent of this thread since I was not the one to start it, I am no moderator so do as you please. I was simply trying to keep the thread on the topic I thought it was about.

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
squiers007 is offline  
post #194 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
I have no problem with your questions and I'm more than happy to provide my opinions and help you out, as I have been doing...

However, my thinking was that this thread was a place for people to post the builds they have already completed that are WAF/SAF type builds so others could view them in one place and use them as inspiration for there own builds...

Maybe I'm wrong and that was not the original intent of this thread since I was not the one to start it, I am no moderator so do as you please. I was simply trying to keep the thread on the topic I thought it was about.

Clear, so just pics and no, or less, questions/anwers.
Hope that who ever can answer my questions will do this with a PM then, and thank you and climber07 for the info you did get me !
I placed my first DIY sub in this thread, received some questions and answered them, will not do this in this thread with the second sub to keep the thread like it was started as you and the "likes" want.
To bad, there goes fallible information source.
Side tracking a topic can be good or bad and is difficult to stop, but you try, hope you can keep this thread "clean" to the level you want or think it needs to be.......
I for sure will stay here and enjoi all the nice pics of the DIY subs
And PLEASE PM me if anyone can help !
azz7686 likes this.

Last edited by CBdicX; 06-19-2015 at 10:45 PM.
CBdicX is online now  
post #195 of 233 Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,722
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Clear, so just pics and no, or less, questions/anwers.
Hope that who ever can answer my questions will do this with a PM then, and thank you and climber07 for the info you did get me !
I placed my first DIY sub in this thread, received some questions and answered them, will not do this in this thread with the second sub to keep the thread like it was started as you and the "likes" want.
To bad, there goes fallible information source.
Side tracking a topic can be good or bad and is difficult to stop, but you try, hope you can keep this thread "clean" to the level you want or think it needs to be.......
I for sure will stay here and enjoi all the nice pics of the DIY subs
And PLEASE PM me if anyone can help !

Easiest thing to do would be to start a build thread in the DIY sub section. You'll get tons of help


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is offline  
post #196 of 233 Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Made a second Subwoofer in a "Piet Mondriaan / Rietveld" style.
Very different from the first one, the Ikea Lack table Subwoofer, technical the same, same woofer, same amplifier, near the same size (+/- 74 liter).
(https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post35031689)
Here the build pics and the final sub, not everyones "cup of tea", i like it but i am a long time fan of Mondriaan and Rietveld.
Both styles are used in this subwoofer..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2469.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	802322   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2470.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	802330   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2471.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	802338   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2471b.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	802346   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2475.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	802354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2476.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	802362   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2479.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	802370   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2483.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	802378   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2484.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	802386   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2485.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	802394  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2486.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	802410   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2487.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	802418   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2488.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	802426   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2489.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	802434   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2493.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	802442  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2494.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	802450   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2496.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	802458  
jlmoon, lovinthehd and squiers007 like this.

Last edited by CBdicX; 06-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
CBdicX is online now  
post #197 of 233 Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Made a small change to the 2nd 4 Ohm wire that runs on the front of the woofer.
Now it runs to the back and around, a much cleaner setup this way.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2497.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	802498   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2498.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	802506   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2499.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	802514  
ambesolman likes this.
CBdicX is online now  
post #198 of 233 Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
wasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
not everyones "cup of tea"
Definitely not my cup of tea...but I'm compelled to drink it! That's a work of art: unique, beautiful, awesome. Is that angled aluminum on the corners?
wasser is offline  
post #199 of 233 Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
Definitely not my cup of tea...but I'm compelled to drink it! That's a work of art: unique, beautiful, awesome.
Is that angled aluminum on the corners?

Yes it is.......
CBdicX is online now  
post #200 of 233 Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Made a second Subwoofer in a "Piet Mondriaan / Rietveld" style.
Very different from the first one, the Ikea Lack table Subwoofer, technical the same, same woofer, same amplifier, near the same size (+/- 74 liter).
(https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post35031689)
Here the build pics and the final sub, not everyones "cup of tea", i like it but i am a long time fan of Mondriaan and Rietveld.
Both styles are used in this subwoofer..........
Lol. I used to ride my bike by a Mondrian house in San Francisco all the time, always got a kick out of it, never saw the insides until I googled just now, your sub would be a welcome addition no doubt...https://www.google.com/search?q=mond...A&ved=0CB0QsAQ
azz7686 likes this.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #201 of 233 Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
manuetdeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Very nice @CBdicX I have seen several modern rooms that would fit perfectly in!

manuetdeo is offline  
post #202 of 233 Old 08-18-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
squiers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newport, OR
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Been a while so I thought I'd bump this thread... what's everyone been up to? Lets see those builds!

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
squiers007 is offline  
post #203 of 233 Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
DustinF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Because I couldn't have any subs showing- gluing real wood over mdf was my solution. Old builds but they get the job done. 3 in living room helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	895018   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub2.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	895026   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub3.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	895034  
DustinF is offline  
post #204 of 233 Old 08-18-2015, 07:05 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post
Because I couldn't have any subs showing- gluing real wood over mdf was my solution. Old builds but they get the job done. 3 in living room helps.
Nice looking work! Like the insert idea on the top.... By gluing real wood you mean veneering? Or another way? Build thread?
lovinthehd is offline  
post #205 of 233 Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
Been a while so I thought I'd bump this thread... what's everyone been up to? Lets see those builds!
Does my addition of brass corners earn me any props/qualify? 3rd one and they're all similar. Next one is going to get more creative and put some of the inspiration here to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	and final touch brass corners.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	895082  
lovinthehd is offline  
post #206 of 233 Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Senior Member
 
DustinF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Nice looking work! Like the insert idea on the top.... By gluing real wood you mean veneering? Or another way? Build thread?
No veneer, although that would work just as well.
I used 1/4" and 3/4" wood.
All the doors are just 1/4" pieces with another 1/4" glued on top of that for the rails and stiles to make it look like a frame and panel door, even though it isn't.
None of the doors open as it's just glued to the mdf.
Legs and top are 3/4".

It's actually fairly easy to do as you aren't dealing with joints or structural integrity.
lovinthehd likes this.
DustinF is offline  
post #207 of 233 Old 08-20-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post
Because I couldn't have any subs showing- gluing real wood over mdf was my solution. Old builds but they get the job done. 3 in living room helps.
Dustin,

Beautiful work. The craftsmanship and quality are obvious.
kevings is offline  
post #208 of 233 Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sigma722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Anyone else made any stealth subs? This thread is super awesome.
sigma722 is offline  
post #209 of 233 Old 03-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Al Toid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Pa
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 217
This is what I love about DIY! If it wasn't for you guys, none of us would have awesome setups. But due to your ingenuity and forward thinking, we can have a nice looking room and sound that matches

Now I have one for those who want sound in that last room. You know the kitchen or downstairs on the bar. The wife has said no a thousand times, until you come home with this It looks nice, is small and compact and gives you the ability to have sound in that last room that otherwise wouldn't. Best of all, it's bluetooth.



Al Toid is offline  
post #210 of 233 Old 03-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Dual BMS 18N862 in 4,5 cf, in a walnut veneer:







First sub Finished (subs will be placed with driver facing the wall)



In the near future, the purpose is to build a full furniture for placing all the gear, using the same walnut veneer, with the subs at each extreme, as if everything is part of the furniture.
Maklar, ORIF and lovinthehd like this.
neo_2009 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off