V8's are the guinea pigs - never veneered anything before. Many thanks to @chalugadp
for the YouTube videos!
Note pieces of grill frame used to help position veneer.
Seems to have turned out OK
Center getting the treatment
Disaster strikes! Trim router bearing slipped off the front edge at the top of the WG opening and scooped out the top/front edge of the cabinet
Flaw hidden - whew!! Ending up cutting a new top piece of veneer, re-veneering the top and *very carefully* setting the router depth and trimming the front edge. When the front piece of veneer went on, it matched up perfectly. Damn lucky
LCR ready for sanding
The finish work is definitely the weakest part of my game, and I got a bit paranoid reading all of the "blotchy cherry" posts on the web, so when the local Woodcraft store had a one-day class advertised, I signed up. The instructor had 40 years of experience making furniture and guitars and really seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I ended up changing my original plan of just using Tung oil to the oil-based General Finishes stuff based on the mini projects we did during the eight hour class.
Here is what I ended up with:
1) Clean up all the glue boogers on the faces and edges with small scraper and P100 sandpaper where needed <-- ack, hardest/longest part!
2) Sand 20 strokes with Norton 3X P220 (the instructor was a sanding fanatic and had us count strokes - prep work FTW!!)
3) Sand 20 strokes with Norton 3X P320
4) Apply General Finishes Seal-A-Cell Clear - brush on, wipe off, let dry 24 hours
5) Scuff with 0000 steel wool, apply General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Satin top coat - brush on, wipe off, let dry 12-24 hours
6) Repeat Step 5 twice more for three top coats total
7) Final light scuff with 0000 steel wool for matte/satin finish
Sanding - four down, one to go
Sanding complete, seal applied.
L & R:
Really happy with the color so far. Was going for a honey/amber that will show the grain and let the cherry naturally age to a slightly darker pink/red underneath, and this is right on track with that. My sample ended up a bit darker after three top coats, but that also sat in the sun a bit, so picked up some of the natural coloration already. Looking forward to see how the bigger faces compare.
All I need is a bit of steel wool dust to find the grill magnets - they pull the stuff right out of the air...
Finishing done - now on to the fun part!!