LLT vs. Tapped Horn vs. 2 Martysubs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Large Ported vs. Tapped Horn

I realize that this is a pretty open ended question, so I'll try to give more info.

I've been craving a large increase in output over my single SVS PC12-NSD, and I've realized that my idea of sealed is not the way to get there. My room is between 2000-2500 cu. ft, so high output isn't that hard to achieve. I'm looking for 125db from 16hz+. My only issue is that in my current sub position (and the only ethical single sub spot), 30hz+ is awesome but all of the bass below that builds up only in the back of the room, though I sit in the front. This brought me to the conclusion that I'd need 2 subs to even that out, but I don't have the room to put two gigantic enclosures at either ends of the room. My other fear is that by using two smaller subs (martysub), I won't meet the amount of output I want. Am I over thinking this?

Last edited by notaghost47; 10-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Well a marty sub is tuned to 17-18 so I don't think you're going to hit your requirement from 16hz on up.

That being said, I went from something comparable to your PC12 to a single full marty that I lengthened the port on to get a 15hz tune. It's SO vastly different and better than my old sub that it's not even funny. I don't know exactly how loud it will play, but I know that I can hit 15hz at 100dB at my listening position no problem.

My point is, what are you basing your 125dB requirement on? I think it will take something like multiple LLT's or horns with UXL-18's to even have a shot at hitting that. On the other hand, going from a single PC12 to two marty subs, I can't imagine you would be disappointed.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
Well a marty sub is tuned to 17-18 so I don't think you're going to hit your requirement from 16hz on up.

That being said, I went from something comparable to your PC12 to a single full marty that I lengthened the port on to get a 15hz tune. It's SO vastly different and better than my old sub that it's not even funny. I don't know exactly how loud it will play, but I know that I can hit 15hz at 100dB at my listening position no problem.

My point is, what are you basing your 125dB requirement on? I think it will take something like multiple LLT's or horns with UXL-18's to even have a shot at hitting that. On the other hand, going from a single PC12 to two marty subs, I can't imagine you would be disappointed.
My basis of being able to hit 125db from that point up is to have a large amount of headroom to match my mains. This seems like a good example of build I'd be interested in: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1638561-berstuck-box-2xum18-22-25-cubic-feet-16hz.html

Last edited by notaghost47; 10-16-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaghost47 View Post
I'm looking for 125db from 16hz+.
Is this something you have actually experienced and decided is what you want? Or is it based on something you've read? Or has someone on the forum told you this is reference level? Why 125db?

An LLT is usually around 10hz. So that doesn't seem to fit your requirements. A common lowish tuned ported sub is around 16 to 20hz. Horns have a tough time getting below 20hz without very large enclosures.

Given your space restrictions, SPL desires, and room size, this is what I would do. But keep in mind you didn't mention a budget. Dual opposed ported in a non-optimal sized enclosure tuned to 17hz with a lot of power and dsp (inuke 6000dsp perhaps). The dual opposed will give you additional output. The undersizing will reduce output near tuning, but we will rely on your small room to pick that back up with RG below ~30hz. Also, the additional power and dsp can re-shape things into place if needed.

For instance, if we're talking about the SI 18 as used commonly around here. You could do 2 SI18s in 350L with a 500cm2 port mouth 1.2m long. You'll find the length of the port would be the biggest challenge. It'll require a bend and will dictate the dimensions of two sides of your box. Give each driver 1500watts and high pass them BW3 at 15hz.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Ghorn, or ported sub with a 16hz tune would be my suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page