Originally Posted by popalock
I just downloaded the Akabak program a few months back, but in all honesty, I have yet to spend the time figuring out the basics with Hornresp, much less make the time to get into the weeds with Akabak.
This link got me up and running very fast. Within two hours I could draw out a schematic and write a script for fairly complex enclosures. This thread deserves some kind of award, I haven't found any resource better for a quick start guide.
So, based on the sims (I understand sims are not the end-all-be-all), I should technically be good to go with the design as it currently stands, correct? That is great!
You can if you like or you can modify it, remember, no matter what you do the room is going to dominate the response, but it is nice to start with a design that doesn't have any massive notches in response. I don't see anything needing fixing the way it is now.
That said, I am willing (if there is a tangible/simulated benefit) to put my track saw to use and hollow out the two most inner panels where it is pretty much just a 2" border. Would be able to knock that out with minimal effort...
Not sure what benefit that would provide, and it would also make the brace much less effective. The velocity through the side chamber holes is already very low, this modification would lower it further but probably make the response a bit worse. (I already ran a quick sim with one large side chamber instead of three separate small ones just to see what would happen and the response was a bit worse.)
Since you've already helped me out and put in all of the information to model in Akabak, would it be quick exercise to change that one parameter?
Man, this is really good stuff... Thanks again to everyone for their assistance.
Think about what change you would like to see (I don't recommend the change you suggested, that's going too far IMO) and let me know. If I can find a few minutes I'll run the sim again tomorrow with the changes. And just to be really sure include a picture. Akabak doesn't have a schematic drawing so if you can't read Akabak and I misunderstand what you want neither of us will know that I didn't accurately sim what you wanted.
Also, you might want to shoot me some proper plans to make sure the dimensions I used are all accurate. Or you might be able to verify those details in tthe script I posted along with the Hornresp drawing and the description of what I added in Hornresp.
To be honest, what I would recommend is leaving the braces alone, finishing it, putting it in place, putting the top on, listening and measuring. If you can't find any obvious problems I don't see any need to change anything. If there is a problem, rip the braces at that point. Do it right where it sits when no one is home. No problem.
If there is a problem I think it will probably be port exit velocity, not an internal issue.