2 way waveguide or coaxial for gaming surrounds? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 way waveguide or coaxial for gaming surrounds?

I've been doing a bit of reading on here to try and decide which way to go when I upgrade my surrounds, which I'm hoping to do fairly soon.

It looks like the consensus is coaxial for a more ambient sound, and waveguide for more directional sound. I do a lot of gaming, so I'm leaning towards the waveguide surrounds because at times I'll want them to sound like they are fronts if someone is trying to sneak up behind me for example.

I currently have Fusion-8 Alchemy towers and center channel for my front stage, Polk RTi 6 surrounds, and Polk RTi 4 rears, along with 2 18" martycubes for the rumbles. I've narrowed my choices down to Fusion 8s for all surrounds, volt 8s all around, or volt 10 surrounds and volt 8 rears.

I also watch a fair amount of movies, but I figured whatever I come up with will work great for that as well.

The room is an open living/dining/kitchen room. with the theater portion of it being about 15' wide by 25' deep. The couch is about 15 feet back from the front, with the surrounds slightly behind it about 15 feet apart, and the rears are mounted on the back wall about 9 feet apart.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've seen a lot of people say the coaxial's may be better suited, but with the only job being surrounds, and the quality of the DIYSG kits, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the options you listed.
Personally, I was going to go this route, but I found a pair of JBL 8340's for 100/each locally. I bought all 4 for 400 and that completely covered my surround duties.
If you are unfamiliar, these are angled cabinets, 2-ways with a waveguide that has a fairly wide dispersion, also the same speaker(s) you see on the wall in the cinema.
I find they work awesome as surrounds, but I can't give you any idea how the volt's would do.

There are 8330's (cheapest, lowest sens, not horn loaded, but still good), 8340's (horn loaded higher sens) and 8350 (highest sens and power handling but rare/expensive)
Erich actually ran a group by on the 8330's back in the day, I think you look enough you can find them as cheap as 50 bucks / each !

Not meant to deter you from DIY, (the rest of my system is all DIY), just shedding some light from someone in a similar situation.

Cheers
post #3 of 3 Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dang, that's one helluva deal you found. All I see is a pair of those going for just over a grand. I don't have that kind of cheddar, hence the gravitation towards a DIY solution.

I guess in the meantime I'll take that as one vote towards the waveguides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page