• 1 Post By ozziedog
  • 2 Post By pgwalsh

post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Computer forums or advice?

I need some advice on buying a computer for my son this Christmas. Does anyone recommend any computer forums or does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a desktop gaming computer for my 9 year old son. He does NOT need a monitor at this time. The budget is no more than $500 (preferably lower). IT will primarily be used for gaming but I also want him to be able to do his school work going forward.

Sorry to ask on here, but this is the only forum I get on so I don't know where else to ask..

Thanks
Russ
Bombelman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I could be of some service. I own many gaming computers and build them for friends and family whenever possible. However I do suggest you check out Linus Tech Tips forum!

May I ask what resolution his monitor is and what games he intends to play? May I ask if you are willing to build the PC from parts or must it already be built? Personally I build every computer and would not build one pre assembled. but that is me.

Phill
post #3 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
650ti boost for graphics card, i5 or amd equivalent, 7200 rpm hard drive or solid state if you have the budget. 8gbs ram and an Asus or asrock mobo. Go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Search online stores, you'll find what you want.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 97
http://www.anandtech.com/ is a pretty good site. I am thinking of doing the same for my niece and nephews.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
this one is 550 but exceeds the specs mentioned above....
has usb 3, a quad core cpu, 1tb storage, 16gigs of ram, full hd resolution, dedicated graphics...

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-...ref=cnt_wp_4_3
post #7 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post
I need some advice on buying a computer for my son this Christmas. Does anyone recommend any computer forums or does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a desktop gaming computer for my 9 year old son. He does NOT need a monitor at this time. The budget is no more than $500 (preferably lower). IT will primarily be used for gaming but I also want him to be able to do his school work going forward.

Sorry to ask on here, but this is the only forum I get on so I don't know where else to ask..

Thanks
Russ
My advice is to go to HardOCP.com and register. Those guys are dedicated to gaming and building computers. They're very helpful and I'm sure they could find you an excellent setup. I've been on the site for nearly 10 years and they're full of excellent advice.
cardoski and Archaea like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I could help as well. HardOCP / Hard Forum is a great recommendation.

Will you be building the computer part by part; or are you looking for a pre-built computer?

Advantages of part by part are that you can pick and choose exactly what you want.

Advantages of pre-built are that they are cheaper because they usually use inferior products in certain parts (possibly weak psu/mobo .. etc). Not a rule, but personal experience.

You could also check out websites like ibuypower.com, where you select each component on their site and they build it. I haven't used them before, but I see them all over the place. $500 as a budget is probably harder on websites such as these.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ghtyun1t View Post
I could be of some service. I own many gaming computers and build them for friends and family whenever possible. However I do suggest you check out Linus Tech Tips forum!

May I ask what resolution his monitor is and what games he intends to play? May I ask if you are willing to build the PC from parts or must it already be built? Personally I build every computer and would not build one pre assembled. but that is me.

Phill
I don't know on the monitor yet. We will get that later for his birthday. Right now he can hook it up to his tv.

I wouldn't mind advice on some monitors too, if you have some suggestions.

Right now he plays Minecraft a lot and that is the only computer game he plays, for now. He is turning 9 so I'm sure there are a lot more to come.

I am more than willing to build it. Might need some guidance though.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
www.slickdeals.net for finding a good deal on a major vendor brand like Dell, HP, Toshiba, IBM, etc. This time of year there is a lot of good deals with Black Friday coming up shortly.
www.bensbargains.net is another one
www.gotapex.com is another one.
www.spoofee.com yet another.

www.hardforum.com (HARD OCP's forum) for assistance picking out parts and building your own.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

TigerDirect often offers full DIY barebone kits with rebates that are great deals and if you are unconfident in the parts acquisition - at least you'll know what you are getting is all compatible.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=31

These days - it's hard to argue for a custom built PC unless you are an extreme enthusiast, or just want the experience. It's the opposite of DIY in the audio world - in that building it yourself costs probably 20-40% more than buying them from the major vendors at decent sale price - especially when considering the operating system is included in a major brand PC, and you'd have to pay about >$100 for an OEM license for Windows 7 or 8.

I say this as an IT professional who has built his own custom machines for nearly 20 years now and still runs his own custom machines - just because...

On the monitor front just look for something with an IPS panel preferably - 24" 1920 x 1200, or 1920 x 1080 (1080P). You can find those for about $160 on slickdeals.net reguarly.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #11 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4294
I'm not really up to date on how good laptops are for gaming, but for $500 I'd bet you could get a decent one.

All you'd need is one with an HDMI output and 2-3 USB ports.
Plug a regular keyboard and mouse into the USB; and the monitor or a AVR/1080P/4K TV into the HDMI.
Bamn indistinguishable from a desktop. Problem solved!

Laptops have progressed far enough that desktops are only needed for HARD CORE gamers and OLD PEOPLE!

This one looks good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152586
post #12 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
Desktop or laptop?

For desktop best to go and DIY or build yourself (it's not hard and youtube shows you how).

Or recruit a forum member to help you out. I'll do it for free if you cover shipping.

You can get any CPU basically these days, for gaming the GPU matters the most. Any R9 Radeon is a good choice, as is a 750ti or higher Nvidia based card. If you go retail then get at least an i3 cpu, and add the GPU card seperate. So like a $350 tower, and drop in a $150 GPU card like a RADEON and you are there.

Personally I would not reccomend, own or operate a PC without an SSD for the OS boot drive. That would be my other advice. Once you upgrade to this and a GPU card, might as well go DIY IMO.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
www.tomshardware.com is a good site.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Laptops have progressed far enough that desktops are only needed for HARD CORE gamers and OLD PEOPLE!

Spec for spec, a desktop will outperform a laptop. Laptops are limited by power consumption, whereas desktops are not. They limit the power consumption for the CPU to lengthen the amount of time that the battery last. Besides, laptops are extremely limited as far as upgrades go. If you don't need the portability, desktops are the way to go.

There are some good recommendations here. I would build. They are very easy to do these days and you get exactly what you want. I HIGHLY recommend using a SSD drive. It is literally a night and day difference compared to a conventional platter HD. Even the Velociraptors are slow compared to SSDs. Also, they have come down in prices lately. You can get a good name brand (Samsung, Intel, Crucial) 240-256 gb drive for around $100 now.

Here is a good site to compare CPU performance before you buy: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Also, if you use the Hover Hound plugin, when you shop on Newegg, it will pop up a tab that compares the price at Amazon and Tiger Direct for you and it will also show the CPU benchmark score from the previous site that I listed. It's very handy for comparing prices and performance.

Good luck.

Last edited by zeus33; 11-19-2014 at 09:58 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
Since you are putting together a mchine with some gaming in mind - check out this little hierarchy chart to get a quick idea of how different video card options tier out -- both against their own family competitors and different vendors - IE - AMD, Nvidia, Intel.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #16 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Since you are putting together a mchine with some gaming in mind - check out this little hierarchy chart to get a quick idea of how different video card options tier out -- both against their own family competitors and different vendors - IE - AMD, Nvidia, Intel.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

More good info^. Also, check the previous pages in the article and they will give you the best recommendations for each price range.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
i keep up with the newest computer gear.

id start with a 750ti. its the newest nvidia architecture.
a haswell i3 processor (minecraft only uses one core) check what model numbers are the revision 2 of haswell.
asrock matx motherboard for haswell.
ill have to check on the power supply, they can be tricky. brands dont mean crap. you have to check who manufactures the power supply for them.
whatever matx case you want.
ram 8 gigs 1600 ddr3
whatever harddrive (check the reviews on what is most reliable)
post #18 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
for monitor, my aoc 1080p ips at work seems to work well. if you really want to spoil em look at QNIX QX2710 on ebay. i love my Crossover version.
or for funzies, SAMSUNG UD590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page