• 1 Post By MKtheater

post #1 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hearing damage

I wanted to ask all you DIY subwoofer guys on this forum:

How do you all build such high SPL subs without incurring hearing damage? I just built two 480L sonosubs with UM18-22 and after a few days of testing I my ears ache... I realize I sound like a noob but TBH I am. I have never had subs play 15hz never mind at high ouput. Now I do and I am concerned about hearing damage.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	393785  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I want you to know that I'm worried for your long term hearing. So why don't you just hand me over one of those monsters and we can both feel better about it. Not sure how I'd get it home, but I'll figure something out.

Those things are big. You're either single or that's the smelly room you're wife won't go in. I love it!
post #3 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Below 20 hz it's nearly impossible to damage hearing , 20-80 hz it's possible but it's still way harder than say 1khz. Sure if you're blasting music with your subs cranked you can easily damage your hearing, but when blasting your subs while watching a movie, there's only a few, generally short loud bass scenes, so your hearing is fine. And people with a large amount of subs have that many for the extra SPL generally below 20 hz, as even one or two good DIY subs can do loud enough above 20 hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 921

This is on my door

Beautiful towers you got there...

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
I want you to know that I'm worried for your long term hearing. So why don't you just hand me over one of those monsters and we can both feel better about it. Not sure how I'd get it home, but I'll figure something out.

Those things are big. You're either single or that's the smelly room you're wife won't go in. I love it!

Thanks for the concern.

My wife gets all the credit. She is amazing!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Beautiful towers you got there...

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment because I see so much nicer stuff being built here.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Below 20 hz it's nearly impossible to damage hearing , 20-80 hz it's possible but it's still way harder than say 1khz.
This I knew but I thought that perhaps my towers are producing enough SPL to cause damage anyway. I should really measure my in room response but alas I am new to this level of output and I am not familiar with REW or have a mic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
And people with a large amount of subs have that many for the extra SPL generally below 20 hz, as even one or two good DIY subs can do loud enough above 20 hz.
Ok I thought that was the case. At 15hz my towers put out enough to make me feel really weird. Feeling that pressure is good I like it... I cannot imagine wanting more. I know I know, around here that is crazy talk.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Mids and highs hurt my ears a lot more than bass. Anything over 100hz and 100db could potentially be a problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yea hearing loss and mega theater systems.
I find that the local mega plex hurts my ears way more than the my theater ever does.
The mega plex plays the whole movie at reference or more and at the end of the movie I am ready to get out of there.
That sustained volume level for 2 plus hours is hard on my ears.

At home my theater is more capable but I play movies about 6 db softer and can be in the theater for hours with zero fatigue.
Part of having huge subs is playing able to hear/feel all the effects that are in the sound track.
I do occasionally crank it up REALLY loud but that is for one scene or song and then it is back to normal levels.

I find that hearing damage is more likely for me when working with mower or at the shooting range.
I invested in a few pair of these years ago and really like them.
The good hearing protection is a must for me, I love good sound and can't imagine not being able the hear/enjoy the music.

http://www.parts-express.com/peltor-...muffs--372-300
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Just because you have all that power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. I typically only blast it full boar when some friends come over and they want a demo.

Or if the wife and I have some drinks and decide to have a dance party. The toilet lids in the down stairs bathrooms vibrate along with all of the glasses in my kitchen cabinets.
Face2 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 2627
If you can cause hearing damage with your subs then you were successful! Meaning it is very hard to cause damage with sub frequencies. Most of the time you get concerned with the room before yourself with sub frequencies.
Fatshaft likes this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
Having more subs increases the total efficiency (the first watt of bass gets more dynamic), so you don't need to crank it so much because you are getting full bandwidth sound and dynamic expression at just 80-90db.
(Of course it can go louder too, if you want to.)

Some people are more susceptible to ear damage than others, like people with: weak bones, bad teeth and a bad heart. We all aren't made the same.

That said, when you see the SPL safety charts on google images, those are in dbA, which is limited to >100hz.
So reference level in their chart is like pink-noise at 85dbA.
dbC can be upwards of 10-30db louder depending on how many subs.
and dbZ which has no-shaping, even louder... (in theory)

The first part of your hearing to go is generally 12khz-20khz (this happens naturally with age too!).
People with severe hearing damage can only hear to about 7khz (with a bunch of tinnitus added for fun).
But usually you never lose FULL hearing (unless you get hit in the earhole with a nailgun. LOL!!!)

Things like mowers, wackers, chain saws, guns and routers will kill your ears just as fast as super loud music does.

Bass below 120dbZ is fairly harmless to your ears, but just THX Reference level treble (85-105dbA) can cause ear damage over the years.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Just because you have all that power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. I typically only blast it full boar when some friends come over and they want a demo.

Or if the wife and I have some drinks and decide to have a dance party. The toilet lids in the down stairs bathrooms vibrate along with all of the glasses in my kitchen cabinets.
This. WOW factor.

Then watch at a more moderate volume prolonged.

It's basically impossible to get too much bass in the sub 40hz regions with subwoofers in a theater setting. Most people can't afford it. 130db from LCR is totally different though... so depending on if you are talking about subs or full range speakers- it might be too loud or not loud enough.

The LFE channel on a movie sountrack is actuaally recorded to be 115db at reference, when the other channels are only 105db. Even the LFE channel itself is intended to be +10db.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This. WOW factor.

Then watch at a more moderate volume prolonged.

It's basically impossible to get too much bass in the sub 40hz regions with subwoofers in a theater setting. Most people can't afford it. 130db from LCR is totally different though... so depending on if you are talking about subs or full range speakers- it might be too loud or not loud enough.

The LFE channel on a movie sountrack is actuaally recorded to be 115db at reference, when the other channels are only 105db. Even the LFE channel itself is intended to be +10db.
And if sending the bass from all the other channels to your subs, it goes up to 127 dB for reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page