Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #31 of 246 Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I have the Fusion 10 Pure and my experience with the Eminence woofer is that it is very stiff when new, and the sound was a little flat, not punchy or full. Months later the Fusion sounds better than ever.

Make sure you give it some lengthy break-in time to hear it at its best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 246 Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
You probably already know this, but predrill the screw holes before putting them in. Also, when you're screwing them in, put your other hand flat down over the woofer's surround right next to the screw. That way if your screw driver slips you'll just need a band-aid on your index finger and not a new woofer surround.
lol, that's the reason I had damaged my cheap thrills woofer on one of them... live and learn
post #33 of 246 Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
I have the Fusion 10 Pure and my experience with the Eminence woofer is that it is very stiff when new, and the sound was a little flat, not punchy or full. Months later the Fusion sounds better than ever.

Make sure you give it some lengthy break-in time to hear it at its best.
Yes, they definitely need some stretching. Thats really the only weak spot in the speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 246 Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
Those are looking awesome... I really want to try some out, maybe replace my JTR'S.
I love the looks of the Noesis 228. The Max's have that same symmetry. Put a grill on these and nicer finish and they'd look great in the living room. Plus its 4 to 1 ratio cost wise.
post #35 of 246 Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Review Part 1: Speaker Specs

The Fusion 10 Max's overall dimensions are 32"x12.5"x12.5". Two Eminence/Denovo 10" midbass drivers bookend a Denovo 1" HF compression driver. Six ports, three each on the top and bottom, then bookend the driver array. The symmetrical layout makes for a very attractive speaker, even without grills. The dimensions are in good proportion. Internally there's a five element(2 resistors, 2 capacitors,1 inductor) PCB mounted crossover. The crossover is a Linkwitz Riley second order (12db an octave rolloff) though I think it's first order on the HF. Crossover point is at 1.5khz. The cabs were heavily stuffed with polyfill (one king size extra firm pillow from Walmart). The cabs have 4 braces, 2 full at the center and two more braces, one above and below the center bracing. The speakers weigh 65.5lbs. The middle three chambers were stuffed front to back and the remaining two chambers about half way so as to not interfere with the ports. While the edge of the LF drivers isn't flush with the baffle, they are level with the ports which protrude as well. In this case, I actually prefer this over a flush mounted driver. Frequency response is very flat per the designer's measurements. This was immediately evident in the first few minutes of listening. Due to the weight the makeshift shipping boxes I had them on began to crush, so I removed them and set them on the floor. Their positioned 42" from the front wall, eight feet apart and toed in fifteen degrees. To be in the correct listening plane I sat on the floor dead center between the speakers and ear level was center of top LF driver. The ideal listening plane is narrow in the vertical plane and wide in the horizontal plane. I first got a feel for the sound of the speakers than started moving around in the listening to area see how the response would change. I moved to 75-80 degrees of axis, essentially almost to the side of the speaker and surprisingly the imaging was tack sharp and kept its shape. Remarkable! I know this is quality of the waveguide but I didn't know that it could do it so far off axis. Likewise, the timbre stayed the same. I'm talking twenty feet to the outside of the listening area. Of course just the opposite was the case in the vertical plane. Highs would drop of very rapidly. The shape of the waveguide compounds the the attributes of the MTM design, namely quickly rolling off HF response as is typical of the MTM. Ceiling reflections are less of an issue. What I found really interesting is having the ability to physically equalize the speaker to my liking. I came real close to padding these but then figured I better leave them alone. What a mistake that would have been. Moving from being centered on the HF to the LF made a huge difference. I actually prefer the sound centered between the LF and HF drivers. Actually if you stay in the vertical plane of the baffle your good. Even as you move within the vertical plane of the baffle, only the high frequency is changed. Lower freqs stay locked and as you move horizontally around the room it sounds pretty much the same. That's a plus to me too be able to eQ a speaker by lowering, raising or tilting it. I saw the polar responses and whatnot, but to hear it in action is nice. I have a lot more to come.
Cam Man, LTD02, robseyes and 3 others like this.
post #36 of 246 Old 12-21-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #37 of 246 Old 12-22-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess its time for the nightly upload. I have several pics of the finished product. Never had the best lighting. Even tried outside but the sun was setting.

Al Toid likes this.
post #38 of 246 Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Excuse the mess, still moving in after 5 months. Closeup of the finis. Glidden flat blackrolled on over sealer/primer. Easy quick and does the job.

Finally finished the three Max's only to realize I have 8 volts and the 4 front subs waiting their turn. Sure glad the rear subs are carryovers.

post #39 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got center placed tonight. Pic of frame without screen for reference.

post #40 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Nice work!

Why so much fill?
post #41 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Finally got center placed tonight. Pic of frame without screen for reference.
]
Those look awesome.. How do they sound ?
post #42 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Nice work!

Why so much fill?
It works as a bass absorber/trap. Helps smooth modal response.
post #43 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
It works as a bass absorber/trap. Helps smooth modal response.
Did you try it with VS without that much fill? With ported, I figured a little was all that was needed.

I'm asking asking selfishly since I have some cinema 88s that I only put a little in... Perhaps I should fill em up except for behind the ports
post #44 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
How big is the screen. It makes those speakers look small. I can't wait to hear how you like them. What sub are you running?
post #45 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Did you try it with VS without that much fill? With ported, I figured a little was all that was needed.

I'm asking asking selfishly since I have some cinema 88s that I only put a little in... Perhaps I should fill em up except for behind the ports
Oops I think your referring to the damping in the speaker cabs and not the baffle wall, wrt your earlier question. I always start maxed out with the damping then take away later if needed. Leave 3-4" clear of the ports then stuff it tight. I will wait a couple hundred hours before making any changes to cab fill. It also lowers system Q, which is a good thing. Actually it primarily suppresses the peaky midrange, smoothing the response. Then again lowering q below port resonance could cost me some db's. I did go with a slightly smaller box and the baffle should compensate. Way too much to think about.

Last edited by coolrda; 12-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.
post #46 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
looking awesome seos waveguides will definitely be my next upgrade I head nothing but good thing about them. Can't wait to hear your impressions
post #47 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doradoguy View Post
How big is the screen. It makes those speakers look small. I can't wait to hear how you like them. What sub are you running?
The viewable is 50" high by 118.5" wide. It does make them look smaller than in the LR. Funny thing the same thing happens when the screen frame is in the LR. Looks huge there.
TheGiantPeach likes this.
post #48 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doradoguy View Post
I have 4 Dayton 15's that are carryover from prior system. Will put those in back of room for response smoothing and tactile. I'm adding 4 SI 18's up front at the bottom, two on each side.
post #49 of 246 Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Wow, they came out really awesome. Good work!
post #50 of 246 Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Is that waveguide available in a flat finish?

I can't believe that model is not more popular.
post #51 of 246 Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Is that waveguide available in a flat finish?

I can't believe that model is not more popular.
The waveguide comes in flat or gloss. Mine are flat. It's a brand new model. Give it time. I think it'll be a popular choice.

Last edited by coolrda; 12-25-2014 at 01:20 AM.
post #52 of 246 Old 12-25-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, got the Max's loaded up and hooked up Tues evening and listening to 2ch from some disc i scrounged up. Old Wyndham hill and GRP discs, not music I particularly wanted to listen to. This room/equipment made a huge difference in sound. Love the sound of this room. Despite that, something was off. Imaging was blurred so I toed the L&R as much as possible from 10 degrees to about 15 and that helped a little but clearly something was amiss, phasing, etc. Anyway I listened for about two hours.

Yesterday I was super busy all day so didn't get to room until late. And more importantly I've finally found my laptop. Bought a little mini laptop years ago just for use with my colorimeter, omnimic and WinISD. Been looking for it for months. So first ran omnimic to checkout. Found cause of the sound issues was RCA's reversed. Fixed it and were good now. I was concerned about getting the center broken as I have about 25hrs on the L&R and have yet to fire up the center. Here's a graph of the center @1M(black), then at the MLP(red), then with the left channel only(blue), I overlaid them as theres a 8.5db difference between the 1 meter and the MLP level. By looking at the graphs I now think that odyssey was engaged. I tried to avoid that as much as possible by using the pure mode. I didn't level match but I did set levels back to zero. No room corrections done because room isn't done, only the mains are installed and hooked up and I don't have the display in the room yet to even accomplish it. In fact playing DVD-audio wasn't an options. All the movie and music library is still in the garage but I did manage to find Steely Dan-Gaucho in DTS5.1 or in my case DTS3.0. Sound was GOOD. Crisp but smooth and extended. Time to wring these out. started cranking it. Got it up to about 5 db's before the system ran outa gas. Sound was shockingly clean with no distortion. I thought wow thats loud but its not driving from the room or volume knob. I don't have the remote out yet and I wasn't getting up for nothing. After about 15 mins I had to check the sound level. This was loud but my ears weren't ringing! I had no fatigue what so ever. Distortion sound loud but its grating and fatiguing. I've listened to a cut or two from this album loud before but after 2 minutes it was too much. Not this time. I listened to the whole album without touching the volume. Then again. Thats over an hour. Of all the the thousands of hours I've listened to music, from going to concerts and gigging and serious listening and movie watching, tens of thousand of hours, I'm sure, I've never done this without being deaf for hours or days afterwards. When the music was over I was ready for a third go around. Nothing was out place the whole time. Not a note. The Max's were effortless sounding at this extreme volume. How? Maybe it was putting a good speaker in a very good environment for it or who knows. I know the room and its different components has a big impact on sound, these units are taking care of their part. Heres the other aspect I want to comment on, Tactile Sound. There was a significant tactile impact with the fronts only. It easily matched what I had with my corner loaded 4x15 subs in the last house. Granted the Riser makes all the difference but the speakers still have to perform. The tactile response was stunning. Overwhelming. Anyway the average level was 113-118dbs continuous and effortlessly. They'll hit 130 [email protected] Thats it for now. More to come. And some video too.

post #53 of 246 Old 12-27-2014, 01:20 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Coolrda, apologies if it is posted in this thread already. But what other speakers have you used either in that room or in the past in general? Just curious what you're coming from and/or have experienced by way of comparison. Obviously acoustic memory and different rooms come into effect big time but am curious how these compare to other speakers you've heard regardless!

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #54 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Speakers I've owned: JBL L5, L7, Polk, NHT Super Ones, MB Quart, Deftech BP10b, BP30, Focal and currently Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B. Hundreds of hours on close friends Mirage M3's x7

What I've auditioned: pretty much all mid and hifi gear including the exotics.
Atlantic tech, paradigm, Polk, Deftech, Golden Ear though never a good seat, Revel all models, B&W all models, Focus audio, Focal/Jim lab all models, Macintosh, Von schweikart probably spelled wrong, Vandersteen all models, YG Acoustics, Hansens, Wilson Audio all models, Magico several models, MBL's several models ( probably my fav speaker of all time is the 101E) Aerial Acoustics all models(a fav as well, obviously, still waiting on my 20's). And a hundred more. Diapasons, Usher, PSB, Dunlavy, Genelac all models and DTS's speaker of choice for demos for many many years. If someone asked what the Max's sound like I would probably start by telling them to go listen to the Genelac HT210B's.

Last edited by coolrda; 12-28-2014 at 02:14 AM.
post #55 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Speakers I've owned: JBL L5, L7, Polk, NHT Super Ones, MB Quart, Deftech BP10b, BP30, Focal and currently Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B. Hundreds of hours on close friends Mirage M3's x7

What I've auditioned: pretty much all mid and hifi gear including the exotics.
Atlantic tech, paradigm, Polk, Deftech, Golden Ear though never a good seat, Revel all models, B&W all models, Focus audio, Focal/Jim lab all models, Macintosh, Von schweikert probably spelled wrong, Vandersteen all models, YG Acoustics, Hansens, Wilson Audio all models, Magico several model!, MBL's several models ( probably my fav speaker of all time is the 101E) Aerial Acoustics all models(a fav as well, obviously, still waiting on my 20's). And a hundred more. Diapasons, Usher, PSB, Dunlavy, Genelac all models and DTS's speaker of choice for demos for many many years. If someone asked what the Max's sound like I would probably start by telling them to go listen to the Genelac HT10b's.
That makes you qualified and sick. I had that same disease 15 years ago; just turned off all music. The problem is it's back or should I say it I can't contain it anymore.
post #56 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

Ok, got the Max's loaded up and hooked up Tues evening and listening to 2ch from some disc i scrounged up. Old Wyndham hill and GRP discs, not music I particularly wanted to listen to. This room/equipment made a huge difference in sound. Love the sound of this room. Despite that, something was off. Imaging was blurred so I toed the L&R as much as possible from 10 degrees to about 15 and that helped a little but clearly something was amiss, phasing, etc. Anyway I listened for about two hours.

(BIG respectful snip!, I just wanted to reference your post)

YP. Thats it for now. More to come. And some video too.
Excellent review. With some minor editing, I suggest you post that as a review on the DIYsoundgroup site. I would also include your resume (speakers owned/auditioned) which I also thought was a great point of reference for readers.

Last edited by wvu80; 12-28-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #57 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Wvu80, he did mention there was a wiring error that led to the problem mentioned in your quote. Wasn't sure if you noticed that?
post #58 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What is the black acoustic treatment on the front wall called?
post #59 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post
What is the black acoustic treatment on the front wall called?
Its dust cover which is the material found underneath most chairs and couches. Its cheap and makes good blackout cloth. Its placed over one inch Owens 703 acoustic panels.
post #60 of 246 Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
Excellent review. With some minor editing, I suggest you post that as a review on the DIYsoundgroup site. I would also include your resume (speakers owned/auditioned) which I also thought was a great point of reference for readers.
Thanks too all for the kind words. Yes, as Samps mentioned this was my fault. New Monoprice RCA's are known for being to tight. Couldn't get them plugged in so removed and loosened them up. I flipped the left and right RCA's when I plugged them in. Something I would have caught if I would have hooked everything up and did a proper channel ID. I guess the fact that could be heard is a further testament to this speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page