Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Curved Volt 6's

With Erich temporarily shutting down the DIYSG site, I figured I better hurry up and get around to making rears. So now I'll have Curved Volt 6 bookshelfs to match my Curved Fronts

Materials: 3/4" MDF + 2 Layers per side of 1/8th Hardboard

Finish: Cherry Veneer with Mahogany Stain

Outer Measurements: 12 Tall X 8 Wide X 8 Deep

Internal volume: ~ .26 cubic feet (not including Woofer, brace, Port)

Port Size: .5 Tall X 4 Wide X 4.75 Deep (comes out to 9.5 Cubic Inches which is about the same as the kit's port. @mtg90 Said this should be fine)

Kits are ordered, but haven't arrived yet. Hopefully I can get the main parts cut up over the long weekend.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 12.17.36 AM.png
Views:	1853
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	451394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 12.12.20 AM.png
Views:	1793
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	451402  

Last edited by aaronlinkous; 01-03-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
I can't wait to see how these turn out Aaron!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sweet!... I'll be watching... Your MTMs turned out beautiful.
post #5 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 579 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
I just did some double checking of the port tuning, looks like it might come in a little low. I had assumed you were staying with 0.2 cuft. I would either cut the port down to 3.5" deep or make it 5" wide. Wider port has benefit of reducing port air velocity.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Oh great, another thread for the rest of us to drool and be jealous of the woodworking skills..

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #7 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I just did some double checking of the port tuning, looks like it might come in a little low. I had assumed you were staying with 0.2 cuft. I would either cut the port down to 3.5" deep or make it 5" wide. Wider port has benefit of reducing port air velocity.
Hmmm... Just checked and if I go wider it would run into the curved walls before the port ended, so I think a shorter length is my only option.... Well that and the Golden ration of 6.5" is ~4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Oh great, another thread for the rest of us to drool and be jealous of the woodworking skills..
Ha! My fronts were my first real woodworking project and I had a ton of help and fancy tools to learn with. Now I don't even have a table saw so this one will take a lot more patience and quadruple checking my measurements. I'll probably start making the dado router jig this afternoon.
post #8 of 41 Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Even though my DIY speaker building "DVR" is pretty full, whats one more series. Watching.
post #9 of 41 Old 01-02-2015, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Worked on them some today. Got the fronts and back cut out and their dados cut. Also got the top, bottom, and braces cut out (still need to cut out the middle part out of the braces though). Since I'm not using my buddies shop this time around and just using a circular saw, it took me a while to get the angle cut (20*) on the back panels. Lots of little nudges and test cuts.

To make the curved pieces, I had to rig something up with my sander. So I cut a slot out of my bench and then shimmed it up to 90*. After I rough cut with a jig saw, I just sanded it down nice and slow.

(No idea why some pictures are sideways or upside down???)

And this just my garage where Im doing it. I dont really even have light besides that one flood light. And my trusty TV tray for cutting

Last edited by aaronlinkous; 01-02-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #10 of 41 Old 01-02-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Bravo! This is my favorite kind of DIY. Don't have the tool....make one.

I'll have that same 5 channel setup eventually. Although I ordered the newer alchemy towers instead of your converted MTMs. the volts were out just a few days before I ordered so that'll have to wait. Mine won't be curved either. I imagine there is a build thread for those? I'll go look for it.
post #11 of 41 Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Great job so far! Your finished veneered MTM's are gorgeous so I'm happy to see your drawing from the same design. My wife saw this thread and said to me "You shouldn't have bought the flat packs (for the Vokt-10's)." HAHA. That's ok, I think all curved 1099's and curved SI 18's along the front are enough!
Keep up the good work, man!
post #12 of 41 Old 01-03-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Bravo! This is my favorite kind of DIY. Don't have the tool....make one.
Thanks @Samps ! This is definitly more challenging than when I used my buddies $75K Table saw, but it's more challenging and is pretty fun coming up with all the little jigs and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Great job so far! Your finished veneered MTM's are gorgeous so I'm happy to see your drawing from the same design. My wife saw this thread and said to me "You shouldn't have bought the flat packs (for the Vokt-10's)." HAHA. That's ok, I think all curved 1099's and curved SI 18's along the front are enough!
Keep up the good work, man!
@dtsdig , your curved 1099's were part of the motivation to get off my butt and get these done. That build is coming along stellar thus far. Tell your wife that while you may have flatpack rears, you at least have a curvy SI 18. My SI 18 is just in a big cube. I might rebuild it one of these days though...
post #13 of 41 Old 01-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post
This design looks exactly like what I had sketched up for my surrounds -- except that your slot port on the bottom is much more professional looking than the stock DIYSG one I had planned to use.

Would you be willing to share more details from your 3D model? I would love to get the same kind of look for the surrounds in my upcoming build.
post #14 of 41 Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by op-center View Post
This design looks exactly like what I had sketched up for my surrounds -- except that your slot port on the bottom is much more professional looking than the stock DIYSG one I had planned to use.

Would you be willing to share more details from your 3D model? I would love to get the same kind of look for the surrounds in my upcoming build.
Here is the sketchup file:

http://aaronlinko.us/speakers/rears/bookshelf.skp

FYI, the speaker cut out is just for visual representation. I don't know what the exact cutout size is since my speakers aren't here yet.
post #15 of 41 Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Update!

Speaker kits finally got here today. Do we even need to talk about the impeccable packing anymore? I means besides the minor inconvenience of chasing my lady friend's cat all over the living room with some of the packing material, couldn't be happier.

Will probably start cutting the driver holes this weekend and trying to finish these guys up. Just picked a Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector, so I'm building the 102" screen tonight.

(yes, I know I need to sand and veneer the marty still :P)

(Just sitting on my lap about 30 seconds after I walked in the door )
Boxozaxu likes this.
post #16 of 41 Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 901
That looks deeper than I thought it was. I was imagining the CD sitting flush. It's going to be tough to build shallow cabs for those unless you angle them. My wife is not going to be happy when I hang those suckers off the wall. But I'm gonna do it anyways. Looking forward to this build.
post #17 of 41 Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #18 of 41 Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I really like your curved builds. I'm inspired to do a Cinema 8 curved and veneered like yours some day.
post #19 of 41 Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rodriguez View Post
I really like your curved builds. I'm inspired to do a Cinema 8 curved and veneered like yours some day.
Thanks Michael. I'm hoping to get out to the garage tonight to work on the front baffles. I pretty much slacked off all weekend. Unfortunately, my time is going to be limited coming up very soon as one of our main client's busy season is VDay and have lots of traveling lined up. My Goal is to have these built, veneered, and stained (along with my minimarty) by the GoT season premier.
Michael Rodriguez likes this.
post #20 of 41 Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Holes for the drivers cut. Thank god I did a practice cut on a piece of scrap. I was off by almost 3/16 the first try. I really should look into a proper hole cutting jig soon.
post #21 of 41 Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Got them glued up last night. Was not as smooth as I had hoped it would go but should be ok. I have also just realized that I haven't cut the port opening yet.... whoops!

post #22 of 41 Old 01-25-2015, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Got the slots cut out, ports made, and mounted in.

Also learned not to to jerry rig your router with clamps to the work bench as a make shift router table. Bad things happen.

Spoiler!
post #23 of 41 Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 579 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Ouch!

My worst accidents seem to come from the drill press, though I have had some close calls that could have gone much worse with the table saw and router table. All three are tools where you handle the material and the tool remains stationary, much easier to get your hands in a position they should not be vs. handling the tool w/stationary material.
post #24 of 41 Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Got the slots cut out, ports made, and mounted in.

Also learned not to to jerry rig your router with clamps to the work bench as a make shift router table. Bad things happen.

Spoiler!
Router scares me more than my table saw or chainsaw. The image of losing control and my router bouncing around with a spinning bit pops into my head every time I pick it up.

Really nice work so far though! Are you going to use the screw and glue method like dtsdig or straps? I couldn't find an easy way to do it with just straps.
post #25 of 41 Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Router scares me more than my table saw or chainsaw. The image of losing control and my router bouncing around with a spinning bit pops into my head every time I pick it up.

Really nice work so far though! Are you going to use the screw and glue method like dtsdig or straps? I couldn't find an easy way to do it with just straps.
Whenever I did my towers, I used titebond with staples and then used packing clear stretch wrap. This held it extremely well and didn't have to worry about any shifting (and that was with 56" of height vs 8.5")

post #26 of 41 Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@aaronlinkous You've mentioned that you used staples to hold down the curved layers in addition to the stretch wrap? How much holding power do the staples have in an application like this? Do you think they would hold down my curved layers adequately or do I need to stick with screws? I see there are 18 gauge narrow crown staplers available for around $30 so if that would work, I might do it to save the time (and my shoulders killing me) compared to using 90 screws.
post #27 of 41 Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
@aaronlinkous You've mentioned that you used staples to hold down the curved layers in addition to the stretch wrap? How much holding power do the staples have in an application like this? Do you think they would hold down my curved layers adequately or do I need to stick with screws? I see there are 18 gauge narrow crown staplers available for around $30 so if that would work, I might do it to save the time (and my shoulders killing me) compared to using 90 screws.
They should be plenty. We had zero issues with mine but in reality it's probably more the shrinkwrap that is doing the holding. After about 5 or so wraps of that stuff, it has plenty of clamping power for the glue to grab hold.
post #28 of 41 Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They should be plenty. We had zero issues with mine but in reality it's probably more the shrinkwrap that is doing the holding. After about 5 or so wraps of that stuff, it has plenty of clamping power for the glue to grab hold.
Thanks! I am going to pick this stapler up tonight and give it a try. Besides, I love buying tools!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-...stomer_reviews

If the staples can hold the panel down while I work from front to back, then I can use ratchet straps just as backup if need be.
post #29 of 41 Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Awesome build so far. I sketched up a very similar design to that but still have yet to even start building, even though I bought all the components.
post #30 of 41 Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

So long time, no update... Been traveling just about every other week since mid January and been sick. However, I have gotten these guys pretty much finished up. Learned a very valuable lesson: Always buy paperbacked veneer! I bought the same stuff (or so I thought) as I did for my other speakers. Same shelf at the same store. NOPE! This was just raw veneer without any backing and was brittle as all hell. Thankfully, most of the splits and cracks are on the backside edges just because of the way I laid it down, but still... quite annoying. The particle board you see in the back is there just to make sure I had something a bit more solid to attach the XO to. Kind of ran out of room with the port at the bottom and the curved sides.

Should go off to my buddies shop this week for stain (where I will try to find out what brand/colors he used last time are) and clear.

Now I just need to get off my butt and unhook my sub and get it sanded and buy more veener :/
Michael Rodriguez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page