UXL Group Buy-The Sequel - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 636Likes

post #901 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
^
sorry I don't remember but google may tell you . . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
^
sorry I don't remember but google may tell you . . .
I looked online and the stuff is very difficult to find. I went to my local Lowes today and they didn't carry it. The only aerosol Loctite that they had was their regular spray adhesive which comes in 3 varieties... basically a light duty, high performance and professional performance (about $5, $8, $11 per can, respectively). I picked up a can of the mid-grade (high performance) and am going to give it a try later tonight.
post #903 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

let us know how that works

I used it, Duro, for the blue foam, topper 2", for the "usual" lining areas b on the 88 Special,
which I just finished clamping the baffle,
after "centering" and weighting it in the middle with 60#'s, I still had to shoot 4 brads to stabilize it before applying clamps
PL does require some extra attention wrt to making things stay where you want them

In other glue related news, when I covered my BF subs with 2mm. speaker cloth I used a water based contact cement ,
2coats on the wood and fabric, considering the total surface area
4 pieces 32"+ x 74"
4 pieces 20"+ x 74"

that's a lot of brushing, but in the long run was easier and cheaper than any spray (dump some on the wood and spread like crazy), the fabric required more care to not have the glue burn through
if you don't mind cleaning paint brushes A LOT!

L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm in the same boat as @BrutalBodyShots regarding needing sturdy grills for the UXLs. Plan on mounting on a pair of Stonehenges. Something that will withstand two small ones running around in the house.
post #905 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc12973 View Post
I'm in the same boat as @BrutalBodyShots regarding needing sturdy grills for the UXLs. Plan on mounting on a pair of Stonehenges. Something that will withstand two small ones running around in the house.
what about just turning them around so that the driver faces the wall?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #906 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
what about just turning them around so that the driver faces the wall?
I'll probably do that initially until I find another option, but I like to be able to see the driver from time to time and admire it I also plan on having the wires connect at the back of the cab, so that when front-facing they won't be seen... so if I rotate it 180 degrees I've got to stare at a wire hanging down which I know will annoy me, any my son will probably tug on them.
post #907 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The only 18" grills I've been able to find are the waffle style grills, which really don't look good IMO. Those grills are for the sub box in the trunk of your car, to keep your groceries from punching a hole in the cone. What I would like for my UXL's is the bar-style grill that PE sells. But they only go up to 15". This style:

I'm sure you could have a local metal guy fab a couple up for you, but who knows what the cost would be for a "one off, small batch job?" Even though my subs will probably be behind a screen wall, I'd still put a minimal grill like that bar grill over them because honestly, I'm clumsy.
post #908 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ wrt grills

sorry I forgot your handle with the triple "d" when I was talking about my 88 special build ( on my dueling lowarhorn build thread) and my appreciation of what you shared
right now I'm waiting for the pl'd baffle to set overnight so I can start a bit of paint
the question is: did you use any grills on the 8's and if so what was it or what did you consider using

post #909 of 2047 Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
UXL Group Buy-The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
The only 18" grills I've been able to find are the waffle style grills, which really don't look good IMO. Those grills are for the sub box in the trunk of your car, to keep your groceries from punching a hole in the cone. What I would like for my UXL's is the bar-style grill that PE sells. But they only go up to 15". This style:

I'm sure you could have a local metal guy fab a couple up for you, but who knows what the cost would be for a "one off, small batch job?" Even though my subs will probably be behind a screen wall, I'd still put a minimal grill like that bar grill over them because honestly, I'm clumsy.

If bars work for you you can get cabinet pulls. IKEA doesn't sell one large enough to span the center of an 18" driver but I happened upon this at lowes. Very simple. Get two of a smaller size for above and below. Only problem is only 25mm of clearance so you have to place a standoff or limit excursion if you go this route- or simply recess the driver appropriately from the front baffle.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio...t-Pull/4070651

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio...t-Pull/4070649

Last edited by chrisslone; 03-10-2015 at 09:13 PM.
post #910 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ wrt grills

sorry I forgot your handle with the triple "d" when I was talking about my 88 special build ( on my dueling lowarhorn build thread) and my appreciation of what you shared
right now I'm waiting for the pl'd baffle to set overnight so I can start a bit of paint
the question is: did you use any grills on the 8's and if so what was it or what did you consider using
No worries. I did not put any grills on the 88 Specials, which hopefully will not bite me in the butt if my plans for a screen wall don't work out. BUT, I am 90% sure the screen wall will happen so I'm not too worried. Because of the roundovers on the edges and the ports, there just isn't a lot of space (any, really) to work out the attachment scheme for the grill. Magnets, plastic inserts, etc all require mounting space. I did see one guy here on AVS who put a rectangular grill on his...that works, but wasn't the look I was after.
post #911 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ wrt grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisslone View Post
If bars work for you you can get cabinet pulls. IKEA doesn't sell one large enough to span the center of an 18" driver but I happened upon this at lowes. Very simple. Get two of a smaller size for above and below. Only problem is only 25mm of clearance so you have to place a standoff or limit excursion if you go this route- or simply recess the driver appropriately from the front baffle.

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks very much! This will work for me. I'll just paint them flat black. Not going for looks, but to keep my big feet out of $400 driver, plus accidents during handling, etc. I will have my non-geeky friends help me move these things upstairs. To them, the nice, round foam surround on the driver makes for a good grabbing point when lifting such a big box. Ah, no. Need a grill!
post #912 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisslone View Post

I like the idea, but how would you install them? They screw in from behind, so you could only access that space with the driver uninstalled, but couldn't install the driver after because the bars would be in the way. You'd have to fabricate some kind of mounting tab or block that could front-screw into the baffle.
post #913 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
I like the idea, but how would you install them? They screw in from behind, so you could only access that space with the driver uninstalled, but couldn't install the driver after because the bars would be in the way. You'd have to fabricate some kind of mounting tab or block that could front-screw into the baffle.
Good call, might be difficult to pull off. The bars might work against dogs and/or human beings being able to hit a driver, but not against a toddler. They'll find long objects to put between the bars to try and poke the driver. Something more like a mesh metal grill would be more ideal in this situation.
post #914 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
Good call, might be difficult to pull off. The bars might work against dogs and/or human beings being able to hit a driver, but not against a toddler. They'll find long objects to put between the bars to try and poke the driver. Something more like a mesh metal grill would be more ideal in this situation.

I have been tossing around this idea for something simple for a grill that might work for you.
Please excuse my poor attempt at paint. My idea was to get some 1 inch hardwood dowels and drill a pilot hole in one end and attached a 2 sided screw. Then drill another hole on the opposite side and attached a magnet by gluing it in flush with end of dowel. Then build a wood frame or use a thin piece of ply or hardboard with a circle cut out. Match that frame/ply/hardboard to the magnets with another magnet or a small piece of steel. Cover with speaker cloth and then cut a thin strip of speaker cloth to wrap around the dowels on the cabinet. This would keep hands out, but would also allow for you to take frame off to view woof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill frame.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	596801  
RH55 likes this.

post #915 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have been tossing around this idea for something simple for a grill that might work for you.
Please excuse my poor attempt at paint. My idea was to get some 1 inch hardwood dowels and drill a pilot hole in one end and attached a 2 sided screw. Then drill another hole on the opposite side and attached a magnet by gluing it in flush with end of dowel. Then build a wood frame or use a thin piece of ply or hardboard with a circle cut out. Match that frame/ply/hardboard to the magnets with another magnet or a small piece of steel. Cover with speaker cloth and then cut a thin strip of speaker cloth to wrap around the dowels on the cabinet. This would keep hands out, but would also allow for you to take frame off to view woof.
I have no doubt that one could make some sexy looking grills with the method described above. However, that only leaves cloth as the material between the woofer and any shrapnel that may come along. Cloth would not stand up to a toddler, dogs or a clumsy human being. You'd have to attach something sturdier in the circle cut out prior to wrapping it in cloth; either mesh steel or at the very least some durable plastic mesh.
post #916 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post

Good point- if you aren't putting a second or third baffle on then one way would be to imbed a magnet or two- one of these works- two is very strong.

Agreed this is more for looks and not running into or running something into the driver. Not going to keep curious hands out of the driver.

via Tapatalk
post #917 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Lots of innovative ideas going around! While I would love to have them facing outwards for the sheer awesomeness of 2 18s bumpin' hard, I'll probably do as suggested and just turn mine around so they're facing the wall for the next few years while the kids are young.
post #918 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
for thought. For a random project (aeroponics ) I have used the plastic ceiling tile from Home Depot - the kind with 1/2" squares. Believe goes into flourescent light fixture..they are in the building material isle. You could spray paint that white and cut it to the size of the front baffle. Its super light and fairly strong...might give a cool look.

pic from google here https://encrypted.google.com/search?...f5%3B660%3B660
post #919 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam2881 View Post
for thought. For a random project (aeroponics ) I have used the plastic ceiling tile from Home Depot - the kind with 1/2" squares. Believe goes into flourescent light fixture..they are in the building material isle. You could spray paint that white and cut it to the size of the front baffle. Its super light and fairly strong...might give a cool look.

pic from google here https://encrypted.google.com/search?...f5%3B660%3B660
Could work... but why white? I would think you would want it black, no?
post #920 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 218
So why won't the regular metal grilles work? Doesn't PE have an 18" grille? Thought I read they did. If it is just an excursion issue, just cut out a 1/2" or so ring out of some nice hardwood or mdf to step the grill off the baffle a bit to allow the extra excursion of the UXL.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #921 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Could work... but why white? I would think you would want it black, no?
comes in white - meant to type black. Cheers.
post #922 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
So why won't the regular metal grilles work? Doesn't PE have an 18" grille? Thought I read they did. If it is just an excursion issue, just cut out a 1/2" or so ring out of some nice hardwood or mdf to step the grill off the baffle a bit to allow the extra excursion of the UXL.
PE says that they may not fit unless you buy the next size grill up from the speaker you are using meaning they suggest a >18" grill, which they don't have near as I can tell.
post #923 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Just call them and get the inside diameter of their 18" grilles. If they will fit around the uxl, then wouldn't be tough to add any depth needed for the drivers excursion.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #924 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Juts use Chicken wire around the frame such as BRCSS has shown and put the Cloth on it. I would think you can stick it on the frame with a few staples and it is very light and with he cloth it could look very decorative. Amazon has a couple of different types that are 24 inch wide by several feet long.
post #925 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

found this :http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lig.../B-EGG-375X2X4

BLACK egg crate, 1/2 x 1/2 by 3/8 thick about $16 - 2 x 4 panel

This is DIY mentality at work, cut it and it is still black
and when it gets dusty, at least the horizontal sections will, you can vacuum it
and not ever worry about how do I touch it up when bad things happen . . .

and in a related question
would a section of this maybe at about a 1 inch standoff have any noticeable impact on audio performance if used on a build such as an 88 Special or Fusion 15, ,
guess i'm thinking about horn sections of speakers . . .
certainly would work for exposed 18's
feedback please

post #926 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
would a section of this maybe at about a 1 inch standoff have any noticeable impact on audio performance if used on a build such as an 88 Special or Fusion 15, ,
feedback please
Good find, that would work well for the subs. I imagine that type of grill would have a measurable impact on a waveguide though. Maybe not so much for on axis response but off axis I can see it doing some funny things.
post #927 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks devon
I was considering this for my 88 build, maybe the 8" drivers only, then
but being all black, some removal of material in the on/off axis dimensions is possible but how that would help, IDK

any news wrt to drivers/construction/shipping for the first group for the GB?

when you know something, you'll be the first to spread the wo

post #928 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
found this :http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lig.../B-EGG-375X2X4

BLACK egg crate, 1/2 x 1/2 by 3/8 thick about $16 - 2 x 4 panel

This is DIY mentality at work, cut it and it is still black
and when it gets dusty, at least the horizontal sections will, you can vacuum it
and not ever worry about how do I touch it up when bad things happen . . .

feedback please

Nice - thats the stuff I used (white one)...I actually have a bit of weight on it and they are pretty strong... I used a small washer and a screw on each corner to attach to a frame I build for my system. You can probably buy a few bolts/screws, spacers and washers from the depot and you would be all set! I cut my pieces with scissors I believe - some pieces break - so I cut the square size one bigger and just flicked off the bits with a razor that were left. good luck.
post #929 of 2047 Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Just call them and get the inside diameter of their 18" grilles. If they will fit around the uxl, then wouldn't be tough to add any depth needed for the drivers excursion.
Agreed, this would work. I have had good and bad experiences with the PE waffles grills. Their 12" for example, was actually 12 inches in diameter, which meant it was the same diameter as the basket. So the grill will sit on top of the basket, not AROUND the driver like we're looking for in this application.
post #930 of 2047 Old 03-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question about firing the Driver at the Wall. How much space should one have between the Driver and the wall besides the excursion?? Does that affect the sound to some level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page