324Likes

post #1111 of 1238 Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Get the Ryobi. I own it. I bought that Ryobi last week. I've owned one before. I did a lot of drywall sanding with it and it eventually burned out. It's not a bad sander for $29. I got way more than the money I spent out of it. I would not at all suggest your's will burn out. I think we had more than a few rooms of drywall sanding on it, in addition to a couple years of normal sanding jobs. I have a $70 Makita that's not really any better for what it's worth.
I have complete collection of the Ryobi One+ tools. They use a common 18 volt battery system. Once you have a couple of batteries and a charger the bare toolso are quite reasonable. They work great. The drill/impact driver combo kit with batteries and charger is a great starter and can usually be found around any holiday on sale for around $99. After that I just added tools as I need them. Their random orbital sander is quite nice. The lithium ion batteries last quite a while and will charge completely in about 1/2 an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1238 Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
For anyone in the market for some of the best cabinet clamps, Woodcraft has the Bessey Revo 18" + 31" (2 each) sets on sale for $159 right now. That's a good $40-50 savings per set. I had to pick up a couple of sets while I could.

My local Woodcraft has these clamps in a 4-pack on sale for Labor Day for $159. Just passing the world along incase other stores are the same.
post #1113 of 1238 Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Anyone have thoughts on laser level devices? I'm not even sure what I need yet, but I'll be doing lots of assorted home handy tasks, including some framing and flooring to finish the laundry room, basement, and some theater type construction. What features should I be looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1238 Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
I made a dust hood for my drill press today. It works pretty well, clears about 75% of the dust as it is formed (and allows for better visibility in the hole). I could get it to 95% if I built a hood that encloses more of the bit, but I'm worried it would get in the way too much. I think this is going to suit my needs for now. The hood press fits under the fence so it can easily move with it. This hood was modified from the original port on my planer, I am building a new one with a 6 inch connection for it.

@trevordj

I have a clearvue cyclone and spent the last couple of weekends upgrading a couple of 4" lines to 6" and am amazed at how much difference the 6" line makes. I really like your drill press dust collection solution. I am currently just clamping a 4" flex line to the table near the bit to catch as much dust as I can at the drill press. This gives me some ideas. Thank you for sharing.
trevordj likes this.
post #1115 of 1238 Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Anyone have thoughts on laser level devices? I'm not even sure what I need yet, but I'll be doing lots of assorted home handy tasks, including some framing and flooring to finish the laundry room, basement, and some theater type construction. What features should I be looking for?
I bought one, then another more expensive one, then kept using my chalk line. lmao. Depends on the task but I find a chalk line is more simple. Example: Prepping for my garage pour I tried to shoot a laser line across and mark the foundation and set pins for depth of grade- but it just didn't work out well. I ran strings, used an old fashioned level, and snapped chalk lines and it was so much easier and more simple.

I shoot lasers across walls to even up stuff. Oddly the one laser I use most is the cheapest one. The Ryobi you can get refurb for like $8 and has the battery operated suction to stick to the wall.
post #1116 of 1238 Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Lasers are great for hanging cabinets, or leveling base cabinets, or hanging a bunch of pictures.
I'd rather use a bubble level to check for plumb.
post #1117 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
I have this laser level. DEWALT DW088K I like it. Good build quality and accurate. It's self-Leveling and you can throw it on a 1/4" tripod or use the strong magnet to hang it on the wall. I have a small piece of sheet metal I screw into the wall when there's only wood or drywall. I have a cheap one with the vials and I never use it. Suction functionality looks like it's a soon to break feature and only works on surfaces that don't exist in the real world. I could be wrong.

Most cases it's easier to snap a chalk line or tie up some masonry line but I installed some rafter ties recently and the laser level was the way to go. Line would have been in the way and there was no good way to snap a level chalk line. I also used it when I trimmed my brick fireplace. The water and dust would have washed away or obscured any type of markings/chalk.
post #1118 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a Delta Unisaw but I don't have a miter gauge for it. My plan is to get a basic gauge and then buy this setup jig from MiterSet. Seems like an easy, quick and accurate way to dial in some common angles. Anyone have any experience with it? Suggestions?
Mfusick likes this.
post #1119 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Never seen the Miterset before, great idea.

it gets uniformly excellent reviews https://www.google.com/search?q=MITE...hrome&ie=UTF-8

sounds like a winner

Noah
post #1120 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Here is the one that I have on my cabinet saw. I highly recommend it.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c47/s...-gauge-system/
post #1121 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I bought a Delta Unisaw but I don't have a miter gauge for it. My plan is to get a basic gauge and then buy this setup jig from MiterSet. Seems like an easy, quick and accurate way to dial in some common angles. Anyone have any experience with it? Suggestions?
Did anyone do a write up of our last audio GTG and I missed it ? Just curious I didn't see one. Nice seeing you again.
post #1122 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Never seen the Miterset before, great idea.

it gets uniformly excellent reviews https://www.google.com/search?q=MITE...hrome&ie=UTF-8

sounds like a winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Here is the one that I have on my cabinet saw. I highly recommend it.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c47/s...-gauge-system/
Thanks guys. I think I can get my hands on a old miter gauge and if I do I I'll go with the Miterset. I like the simple, elegant solution it provides not to mention 25 year warranty and US made. If not, the Kreg looks like a great alternative between the cheap stuff and the expensive Incra. Is it me or do others wish Incra used a different color scheme?
post #1123 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did anyone do a write up of our last audio GTG and I missed it ? Just curious I didn't see one. Nice seeing you again.
Ha! Who wants to read about a GTG where a pair of $250 JBL LSR305s* bested some of the most highly regarded speakers brands around.

(*I'm sure it didn't hurt the trim was turned up to +2 but I won't mention it)
post #1124 of 1238 Old 09-06-2016, 06:31 PM

On flat it won too I told you they magic
post #1125 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
You are going to love that Delta UniSaw. Those things are some of the best cabinet saws in the world.
post #1126 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I think I can get my hands on a old miter gauge and if I do I I'll go with the Miterset. I like the simple, elegant solution it provides not to mention 25 year warranty and US made. If not, the Kreg looks like a great alternative between the cheap stuff and the expensive Incra. Is it me or do others wish Incra used a different color scheme?

I like the Kreg or Incra. Generally I'm not an Incra fan. I think they almost have too many adjustments. However this is the 1 incra tool I have, and I have no complaints. The 1000hd is about the same price as the Kreg.

Fwiw, I like Incra's color scheme, but I'm also a Powermatic fan.
post #1127 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
I bought the Incra Miter 3000 and it has been very nice. It has a good system for adjusting angles and it's pretty straightforward to use. The stop block setup on it is very good.

@JohnDean I agree with you that some of Incra's products almost have too many adjustments. I have looked at their table saw fence system but then it just becomes overwhelming.
JohnDean likes this.
post #1128 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
I like the Kreg or Incra. Generally I'm not an Incra fan. I think they almost have too many adjustments. However this is the 1 incra tool I have, and I have no complaints. The 1000hd is about the same price as the Kreg.

Fwiw, I like Incra's color scheme, but I'm also a Powermatic fan.
I had my eye on the Incra fence but it seemed too complicated for what I wanted to do, so I ended up going with a VEGA PRO 42" fence and could not be happier. It's accurate, but also simple and bulletproof. Sometimes "just works" is better than all the fine adjustment stuff for me, I don't always require that kind of accuracy.

I have my eye on a solution for a router table. I have a cheap basic stand up router table from Grizzly and I would like to pimp it out, what you guys think? Incra? Something else??
post #1129 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had my eye on the Incra fence but it seemed too complicated for what I wanted to do, so I ended up going with a VEGA PRO 42" fence and could not be happier. It's accurate, but also simple and bulletproof. Sometimes "just works" is better than all the fine adjustment stuff for me, I don't always require that kind of accuracy.

I have my eye on a solution for a router table. I have a cheap basic stand up router table from Grizzly and I would like to pimp it out, what you guys think? Incra? Something else??

Yep. I only have the Incra miter slide. I couldn't imagine all the adjustments on their fence. Usually I'm more concerned with consistency than accuracy to the 32nd.

Router tables/fences/lifts....Jessem is the only option for me.
post #1130 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have a cheap basic stand up router table from Grizzly and I would like to pimp it out, what you guys think?
Beware SES (sow's ear syndrome).

Check out what Rockler and MCLS have, and/or google "best router table".

Pay special attention to user friendliness of the lift (a must), i.e. can bit changes be done from the top.

Noah
post #1131 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Beware SES (sow's ear syndrome).

Is that like putting lipstick on a pig? I've never heard of SES
post #1132 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Silk purse from a sows ear?

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #1133 of 1238 Old 09-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of SES
you heard it here first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Silk purse from a sows ear?
you got it

Noah
post #1134 of 1238 Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep. I only have the Incra miter slide. I couldn't imagine all the adjustments on their fence. Usually I'm more concerned with consistency than accuracy to the 32nd.

Router tables/fences/lifts....Jessem is the only option for me.
I've been trying to talk myself into buying their clear stock guides for the router table.

PS I like the powermatic yellow...I think the problem with the Incra might be it reminds me of someone who happened to own an Incra setup for his router table. Taints the entire brand for me.

Last edited by Boxozaxu; 09-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
post #1135 of 1238 Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
You are going to love that Delta UniSaw. Those things are some of the best cabinet saws in the world.
It's a nice 3hp 220v model. Ran a new outlet in the Garage and now when I flip the switch and all she does is purr.

It's not brand new but not a vintage either. Probably a good thing it's not vintage because I removed the existing meh Jet Lock fence and replaced it with a Biesemeyer type fence. I made up some 7' rails and right now I'm waiting for the paint to harden a few more days before throwing them on. I also bought a SharkGuard for improved dust collection and for the splitter.

Hopefully I don't have sow's ear syndrome.
JohnDean likes this.
post #1136 of 1238 Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM

Those guards look cool
post #1137 of 1238 Old 09-09-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those guards look cool
I haven't noticed them before. They do look cool but kinda pricey in my opinion. I guess that's no different than the rest of their stuff.
post #1138 of 1238 Old 09-12-2016, 04:29 PM

well, bummer - after spending hundred$ on the air dryer materials and redoing the piping, my dessicant (middle of pic to right of air dryer unit) lasts no longer before needing to be recharged.

guess I'll have to get an aftercooler too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	1657337  

Noah
post #1139 of 1238 Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looking to speed up how fast I can chop up boards, I broke down and bought a Festool track saw. Then the other day I say this rule from Incra and it seemed promising. Meant to be used with a .5mm mechanical pencil you can quickly mark the boards exactly, and/or slide the rule and draw the line at the same time. I'm thinking I'll be about twice as fast using the Incra rule and track saw.

post #1140 of 1238 Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Looking to speed up how fast I can chop up boards, I broke down and bought a Festool track saw. Then the other day I say this rule from Incra and it seemed promising. Meant to be used with a .5mm mechanical pencil you can quickly mark the boards exactly, and/or slide the rule and draw the line at the same time. I'm thinking I'll be about twice as fast using the Incra rule and track saw.

I have the 18" version of the ruler. Its awesome. Worth every penny!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part!"

My Audio Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/triticumaudio
Instagram: http://instagram.com/triticumaudio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page