DIY Dolby ATMOS module - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #511 of 515 Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks good. Keep us updated.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Richard Wilson
Custom Installer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 515 Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
crossover

Love the speakers, did you use any kind of crossover? I'm guessing, no..

Craig
post #513 of 515 Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The biggest difference for me though is they seem far better at aiming the sound at the ceiling, what I mean by that is its virtually impossible now for me to localise that the sound is coming from the boxes. They most definitely sound like there are speakers in my ceiling.
This is how my Pioneer Atmos modules sound and it's why I can't relate to people putting down these speakers and dismissing them due to the "bouncing off the ceiling" effect. And I still say not localizing the speaker is the main objective to increase immersion... that's why I always paste that quote from Andrew Jones and his preference for enabled over ceiling installations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones
I got involved in doing an enabled system because of what I heard when Dolby showed it to me. I preferred the sound of the enabled. And it’s interesting since that time as more and more film mixes have been exposed to the enabled type approach. They prefer the enabled sound, because in the theatrical movies and any theater, the speakers are way above you; in a home they’re not. If there’s physical speakers in the ceiling, it’s 7.5 feet to 8 feet typically - it’s a bit too close. And as you move around the listening locations, you’re getting closer to one speaker than the other, the image is shifting, you’re aware of a physical speaker.

From up there with the bounced signal from the enabled, this appears upside down six feet above the ceiling. So the source that you’re aware of, that’s giving you the encoding information to give height, is 6 foot above an 8 foot ceiling and it doesn’t change as you move around. So the sound field, I think, becomes more immersive, more continuous, maybe not quite as discrete, but the real fun aspect of Atmos is the immersion in the sound field.

Last edited by SuperFist; 10-24-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 515 Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore66982 View Post
Love the speakers, did you use any kind of crossover? I'm guessing, no..

Craig
They don't need crossovers if using full range drivers. The AVR can do any tweaking needed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #515 of 515 Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah, thats what I thought...

Thanks

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version