Took the Plunge - Dual Sealed 18" 460HO Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #91 of 99 Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post
So if I were to add two 15's with the 18's, I would think the procedure would to be eq them independently, and then level match them with tones through the AVR. Finally test the 15's at maximum listening levels with tones & material to ensure proper operation.
Do not EQ the subs separately. Treat them as one unit. There very few exceptions to this rule. You can take two sets of subs that are EQ'd nice and flat when run separately and when you combine them together the response will be very lumpy.

I would level match with test tones prior to EQ, sort out time alignment / delay, then EQ them all together as one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Do not EQ the subs separately. Treat them as one unit. There very few exceptions to this rule. You can take two sets of subs that are EQ'd nice and flat when run separately and when you combine them together the response will be very lumpy.

I would level match with test tones prior to EQ, sort out time alignment / delay, then EQ them all together as one.
Thanks so much -- and speaking of delay -- what is the proper procedure for setting this? This is something I am unsure about. I'm using the MiniDSP -- so the delay is in the final settings with the output level...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #93 of 99 Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yet another question as I consider adding these subs to the current 18's:

Will an amp rated at 750 watts/channel (Crown XLi2500) be sufficient for the 15" 390HO driver? The XLi3500 I have on the 18's is a beast (1,350 watts) and might be too much for the 15's....??

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #95 of 99 Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

So many many months late on an update to this thread, but I did ultimately build two more 15" 390HO sealed subs to go on each side of my sectional. In addition to this, two dedicated 15amp circuits were added. One for the Crown XLi3500 (1,350 watts a channel) for the 460HOS, and one for a Crown XLi2500 (750 watts a channel) for the 390HOs. I am VERY happy with the results -- watching the opening two scenes from San Andreas nearly brings the whole room down. And that is at -14 from reference, which I don't think I could ever approach in my small 11x16x10 room. Plenty of headroom and extension -- exactly what I was going for:

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #96 of 99 Old 06-09-2016, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
So many many months late on an update to this thread, but I did ultimately build two more 15" 390HO sealed subs to go on each side of my sectional. In addition to this, two dedicated 15amp circuits were added. One for the Crown XLi3500 (1,350 watts a channel) for the 460HOS, and one for a Crown XLi2500 (750 watts a channel) for the 390HOs. I am VERY happy with the results -- watching the opening two scenes from San Andreas nearly brings the whole room down. And that is at -14 from reference, which I don't think I could ever approach in my small 11x16x10 room. Plenty of headroom and extension -- exactly what I was going for:

Just ordered 2 of the 460HO's. How did it sound compared to the PB13U, 1 on 1. I'm sure it sounded good

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #97 of 99 Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless95 View Post
Just ordered 2 of the 460HO's. How did it sound compared to the PB13U, 1 on 1. I'm sure it sounded good
Reckless - there's not a real comparison in my book. Properly built, powered, and integrated through DSP the 460s are much more impressive than the PB13. Mind you I've owned two PB13s and an SB13 over the years. I've since added two 15" 390HOs near field to my seating, and the four can bring the room down.

Again it's all a matter of your space, listening habits, and room placement. But done well these things are fantastic...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #98 of 99 Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Reckless - there's not a real comparison in my book. Properly built, powered, and integrated through DSP the 460s are much more impressive than the PB13. Mind you I've owned two PB13s and an SB13 over the years. I've since added two 15" 390HOs near field to my seating, and the four can bring the room down.

Again it's all a matter of your space, listening habits, and room placement. But done well these things are fantastic...
Love that room, looks so comfortable. And those subs!!!
Chopin_Guy and chadsmith013 like this.

Joe
post #99 of 99 Old 06-10-2016, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAngelicchio View Post
Love that room, looks so comfortable. And those subs!!!
Thanks Joe - appreciate it!

Actually some changes afoot. I sold the sectional and the Sony projector. Now have a JVC RS400 waiting to be unboxed, and I should have a curved row of four theater seating coming in this week. Can't wait to get the room all out back together...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page