New "Modify My Marty" Excel calculator. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 9 Post By Augerhandle
  • 2 Post By Augerhandle
  • 1 Post By Augerhandle
  • 3 Post By Augerhandle

post #1 of 28 Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
New "Modify My Marty" Excel calculator.

...(aka any slot-ported sub) Excel calculator.

Enter the exterior dimensions, port dimensions, etc that you need for your sub, and this will calculate net volume and part sizes.

After saving the file, just change the file extension back to .xlsx EDIT: .xlsm

EDIT: Latest version HERE: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post36488306

I made it possible to save the parts list as a text file compatible with Cutlist400.exe (which avoids the tedious work of entering the dimensions by hand), and listed step by step instructions on saving the parts list (my personal version has a command button linked to a macro for a one click data transfer to my Cutlist400 folder). I changed my original bracing arrangement, and if you want different bracing arrangement, just modify or delete the bracing dimensions in the Cutlist400 program. Cutlist program here: http://delphiforfun.org/programs/cutlist.htm

As in the "classic Marty" designs, the calculator assumes a double baffle, full width port with two port rails; top, bottom, front, and back panels fitting between the side panels, and front and back panels fitting between the top and bottom panels.

The lower depth braces (front to back), and the back height braces (top to bottom) automatically adjust length to either the port walls or outside walls depending on the port length (based on 1/4 point locations). The port rail and wall dimensions get a little buggy whenever the port is less than a port height away from the back wall, but other than that, it works pretty well. Please test it out and let me know of any bugs found.

EDIT: The height braces now export to Ccutlist400 properly. (ver. 1.03)

EDIT: Macro enabled version (ver. 1.04)

EDIT: Version 1.05. I corrected the width of a column in the parts list because it was too narrow to show the last parentheses

EDIT: Version 1.06. It is possible for the port to be short enough that no Port Back or Back Rails are required. The dimensions will show 0.00 x 0.00 for part size, but I added the notation "Not Used" in the parts list to avoid confusion.

TERMS OF USE:
This is for entertainment purposes only and is provided freely. No warranty is included or implied. It is the users responsibility to check that calculations are accurate. I am not responsible for wrong-sized parts, wasted wood, lost time, or anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutlist Capture.JPG
Views:	1958
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	878442  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Box Volume-Slot Port with cutlist file1.03.txt (42.1 KB, 341 views)

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 12-26-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I'll try and check it out tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and update it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #3 of 28 Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
I'll try and check it out tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and update it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You're welcome. I set it up to make my life easier, but figured others could use it as well. I've benefitted countless times from other members' hard work and knowledge and it's always nice to have a chance to give something back.
lovinthehd and dRwOOD73 like this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I don't have excel, but it seems to work in Libre Office as well. Does the image change or is that static?
post #5 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Looks like everything is working well so far. I've only messed around with it for a little while, but all the numbers are coming out correct so that's a good sign. I need to try exporting the cutlist to CutList400 and see if that works, but otherwise good job!!

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #6 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
I don't have excel, but it seems to work in Libre Office as well. Does the image change or is that static?

The image is static. I put it there just for reference.

post #7 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like everything is working well so far. I've only messed around with it for a little while, but all the numbers are coming out correct so that's a good sign. I need to try exporting the cutlist to CutList400 and see if that works, but otherwise good job!!
Thanks. The exporting directions are for Excel 2007 and Windows 7, but I imagine they are similar for other versions. I forgot to change a couple formulas in the original upload, so be sure you have the latest version (1.03).

Last edited by Augerhandle; 08-11-2015 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks!! Its amazing what people here can come up with to help out the community.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Thanks!! Its amazing what people here can come up with to help out the community.

YW

post #10 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Great job!
Thank you!
post #11 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is cool wish I had that two weeks ago. Thanks for the effort.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thanks for doing this. Will have a play when I have access to excel tomorrow.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Great job!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreb14 View Post
This is cool wish I had that two weeks ago. Thanks for the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymiles View Post
Thanks for doing this. Will have a play when I have access to excel tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Update in next post!

post #14 of 28 Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, here's the latest version. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1517942564

Just change the extension back to .xlsm (macros need to be allowed in Excel).

EDIT: Latest version is 1.06. It is possible for the port to be short enough that no Port Back or Back Rails are required. The dimensions will show 0.00 x 0.00 for part size, but I added the notation "Not Used" in the parts list to avoid confusion.

EDIT: Latest version is 1.05. I corrected the width of a column in the parts list because it was too narrow to show the last parentheses (see thumbnail).

Enter the exterior dimensions, port dimensions, etc that you need for your sub and this will calculate net volume and part sizes.

Click the button, and the part sizes are exported to a text file that Cutlist400 can use to provide a parts layout on sheet(s) of MDF or plywood.

This file (ver. 1.04) utilizes a Command Button which calls a macro that saves the output of the cut list to the current folder as 1 Preliminary Cutlist.txt for use in the Cutlist400 program. It is exactly the same as ver. 1.03 except for the addition of this macro and button.

If the Excel file is saved in the same folder that Cutlist400.exe is located, the text file generated will be easier to access, because Cutlist400’s File>Open command defaults to its own folder location. After exporting the 1Preliminary Cutlist.txt, simply open it with Cutlist400.exe to search for cut list solutions, and re-save it with any filename. As always, one needs to verify the port size and its relationship to net box volume with another program such as WinISD to confirm that box tune, First Port Resonance, and Port Air Velocity are acceptable.

NOTE: By default, 1 Preliminary Cutlist.txt lists TWO sheets of material, 49”x 97” (shown under “Material pieces” in Cutlist400). If two sheets are too much or too little, or the sheets are not the size you are using, simply edit them in Cutlist400.

Click on the thumbnail below to view screenshot (red arrow points to command button)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Box VolumeCapture.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	885514  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Box Volume-Slot Port with cutlist file1.06.txt (34.5 KB, 624 views)

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Latest version is 1.05.(see post above). It's just an aesthetic change. I corrected the width of a column in the parts list because it was too narrow to show the last parentheses (see thumbnail).
EDIT: Latest version is 1.06.(see post above). It's just an aesthetic change. If the port is short enough, no Port Back or Back Rails are required. The dimensions will show 0.00 x 0.00, but I added a notation in the quantity column of the Parts list to read "Not Used" instead of "1 piece" or "2 pieces"
Shadowed likes this.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-06-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #16 of 28 Old 08-23-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
post #17 of 28 Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How would I determine the port tune? Think I should be around 17 – 20hz.
Think this will give me about 19.33hz and can't get much lower with this size of box:
Height 34
Width 29
Depth 22
Port height 3 X 26
Zeroing out the port length I get 9.993 net volume
Calc port length to be about 49 from here:
http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com...0lenth%201.htm

Other notes:
Wanted HD to cut all strait cuts.
To take less time at HD, leave out all brace cuts and just use dowels I cut myself for bracing.
I'm guessing HD won't do the round speaker cut so will need to buy a jig saw. On the front baffle, any benefit to countersinking the driver? Thinking it's easier to cut both pieces the same size and mount the driver on the outside. In the end, speaker should be hidden so visually not an issue.
Speaker selection is between the Stereo Integrity HT18 dual 2ohm or the Dayton Ultimax 18 (out of stock currently). Prob only going to have enough room for one sub and just want clean low sound, not high SPL's.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-27-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_mn View Post
How would I determine the port tune? Think I should be around 17 – 20hz.
Think this will give me about 19.33hz and can't get much lower with this size of box:
Height 34
Width 29
Depth 22
Port height 3 X 26
Zeroing out the port length I get 9.993 net volume
Calc port length to be about 49 from here:
http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com...0lenth%201.htm

Other notes:
Wanted HD to cut all strait cuts.
To take less time at HD, leave out all brace cuts and just use dowels I cut myself for bracing.
I'm guessing HD won't do the round speaker cut so will need to buy a jig saw. On the front baffle, any benefit to countersinking the driver? Thinking it's easier to cut both pieces the same size and mount the driver on the outside. In the end, speaker should be hidden so visually not an issue.
Speaker selection is between the Stereo Integrity HT18 dual 2ohm or the Dayton Ultimax 18 (out of stock currently). Prob only going to have enough room for one sub and just want clean low sound, not high SPL's.

Use the net volume and the port dimensions with another modeling program, such as WinISD.. Make sure you check port air velocity and first port resonance before deciding on the final design. The dowel idea is fine.

Post your questions here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post26653761 or start your own thread. Title it Help Designing the Benny Sub. I'm sure you will get plenty of help. See you there.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 08-28-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Latest version is 1.06.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1517942564

It's just an aesthetic change. If the port is short enough, no Port Back or Back Rails are required. The dimensions will show 0.00 x 0.00, but I added a notation in the quantity column of the Parts list to read "Not Used" instead of "1 piece" or "2 pieces"
kaiforce, Sekosche and ame9895 like this.

post #20 of 28 Old 12-25-2018, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Latest version is 1.06.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...4&d=1517942564

It's just an aesthetic change. If the port is short enough, no Port Back or Back Rails are required. The dimensions will show 0.00 x 0.00, but I added a notation in the quantity column of the Parts list to read "Not Used" instead of "1 piece" or "2 pieces"
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've downloaded 1.06, changed the extension to xlsx and Excel says that the file is corrupted. Am I doing something wrong or is the file bad?
post #21 of 28 Old 12-26-2018, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrf View Post
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've downloaded 1.06, changed the extension to xlsx and Excel says that the file is corrupted. Am I doing something wrong or is the file bad?
Just downloaded and did the same. Works fine for me, so maybe something wrong your end?

NAD T758 V3, Nakamichi AVP1 Power amp, DIY LCR, 4 x DIYSG Volt 8 Surrounds, AT IC-6.3 Atmos, 2 x DIY BMS 18N862 Sealed Subs, Twin CS1214 NF Subs .
post #22 of 28 Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrf View Post
Try changing the extention to xlsm.

Quote:
Okay, here's the latest version. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...4&d=1517942564

Just change the extension back to .xlsm (macros need to be allowed in Excel).

post #23 of 28 Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
There it is! I Forgot about the macro flag. Thanks again!
post #24 of 28 Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I downlaoded your txt file and saved it as "Box Volume-Slot Port with cutlist file1.06.xlsm" but, Excel keeps giving me an error... saying "...file format or file extension is not valid." help please....
post #25 of 28 Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
I downlaoded your txt file and saved it as "Box Volume-Slot Port with cutlist file1.06.xlsm" but, Excel keeps giving me an error... saying "...file format or file extension is not valid." help please....
Don't save it as that (.xlsm). Save it as is, and then just highlight the txt extension itself, and change it to xlsm

post #26 of 28 Old 03-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Don't save it as that (.xlsm). Save it as is, and then just highlight the txt extension itself, and change it to xlsm

I will give it a try when I get home from work. Sorry, I am not very good with Excel or computer code/coding. Thank you for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 28 Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
I will give it a try when I get home from work. Sorry, I am not very good with Excel or computer code/coding. Thank you for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont feel bad, wouldnt work for me either lol- Would have been easier to upload as intended file. Also could be Excel Version- im stuck using 2016 and It wont play nice with others like woofer box

What I had to do was use Notepad++- open and save as and that worked.

Last edited by Remy.Alexander; 06-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #28 of 28 Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Fantastic work! Makes changing the sizes a breeze.

One question, is there any chance the metric values can be listed, side by side, with the imperial values? If you like, I volunteer to do the mods and send the sheet back to you if I can get an unlocked version.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page