Need Help Designing Box for 15" Infinity Beta DVC Sub - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Help Designing Box for 15" Infinity Beta DVC Sub

I'm on a tight budget and wanted to use an Infinity Beta 15 DVC sub (BNIB) which I bought many years ago. Here is a link to the sub's specs: http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...BETA15Xdvc.pdf

I downloaded WinISWD and it told me to use a 49.9 liter (1.7622 cubic feet) sealed box (if using sealed). I chose a sealed box as I want the sub to be tight and power is not an issue (planning on using a 500 watt Dayton amp). If sealed is not the way to go please advise what you would recommend (I would still desire as "tight" a sub as can be had with this 15).

My room is roughly 15'WX20'Lx9'H and the room does not have a back wall as it is an open floor plan with a breakfast area and kitchen "connected" to the room. The breakfast area and kitchen are roughly (combined measurements) 15'WX20'LX9'H. The flooring is wood and we do not have any carpet/rugs (I can buy some if needed). I can draw/load a to scale floor plan with dimensions including furniture/window/door/etc placement if desired. Currently, we have a 50" wide cabinet in the middle of the room on the front stage wall directly under the TV.

My primary intended use is a 50/50 split with music and home theater. WAF is a priority (I can make the box look nice).

My current speaker setup is as follows (not the greatest...but it's what I have) The front Left/Right are Celestion AVF-302s and a Celestion speaker in a box system (AVP-305 ) for center, surrounds and rear surround in a 7.2 configuration. I'm curently using two (2) Polk PSW10 with modified ports to reduce chuff/huff (cheap stop-gap measure).

If this particular sub is a complete waste of time I will scrap the project and find another use for the sub.

If any additional information is needed, or, if this sub is a complete waste of my time please let me know.

Last edited by mobilebyrd; 08-18-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
That sub would be put to much better use in a car where you can get some benefit from cabin gain. Even in a ported enclosure you'll be lucky to reach down below 30hz with any authority. The xmax is listed at only 5.2mm which is very small, because of this, even in a smallish sealed enclosure the sub will only take ~100w before reaching xmax (unless you apply a pretty high HPF which negates the benefit of a sealed sub).

I'd say let us know your budget and size constraints and we can recommend some other options for you. Sell the sub to some high school kid and use the funds to get a proper HT sub!!

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebyrd View Post
I downloaded WinISWD and it told me to use a 49.9 cubic foot sealed box (if using sealed).

I'm sure @squiers007 would have no problem whipping up a 46" cube flatpack for you...

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post

I'm sure @squiers007 would have no problem whipping up a 46" cube flatpack for you...
LOL!!! Wouldn't that be a site to behold!! Might as well just buy a pre-fab shed from Lowe's and mount the sub in the door!

OP, I think you may have messed up your units a bit... 49 liters is what I'm guessing you meant to say.

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post

I edited the OP to correct my mistake. 49.9 liters/1.76 cubic foot box.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
...let us know your budget and size constraints and we can recommend some other options for you.

Regarding budget, I was looking to stay in the $200-$250 range with a box no larger than 20"L X 20"W x 24"H. I'm just looking for a decent sub to hold me over until I replace my front stage with something warmer sounding with better midrange/midbass at which point I will likely build a custom to complement my new front stage.

I'm considering the Bic F12 and Dayton Audio's Sub-1200 and Sub-1500.
I have a line on a great deal for the F12 but if either of the Dayton products are substantially better for my room/situation I'll buy one of those instead.
I realize these aren't great subs, but I'm looking for a good value to hold me over until the new front stage is chosen.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Last edited by mobilebyrd; 04-26-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added additional information.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
I bet you could find someone selling a stereo integrity HT18 that you could drive with your Dayton amp.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
I bet you could find someone selling a stereo integrity HT18 that you could drive with your Dayton amp.
I didn't buy the amp as the above speaker would not get the job done.
At the moment, I don't have a lot of spare time so I'm looking for prebuilt boom in a box. PS: I LOVE the build and progress thread on your HT setup. Great job on the boxes...they look amazing.

Quick Question...I have a 150 gallon aquarium in the middle of the living room (5 feet from the sub's intended location). Should I be worried about vibrations and the aquarium glass/seals at all or is that not a concern unless one is running a beast of a setup in a more sealed environment where the SPL can really build up?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebyrd View Post
I didn't buy the amp as the above speaker would not get the job done.
At the moment, I don't have a lot of spare time so I'm looking for prebuilt boom in a box. PS: I LOVE the build and progress thread on your HT setup. Great job on the boxes...they look amazing.

Quick Question...I have a 150 gallon aquarium in the middle of the living room (5 feet from the sub's intended location). Should I be worried about vibrations and the aquarium glass/seals at all or is that not a concern unless one is running a beast of a setup in a more sealed environment where the SPL can really build up?

Thank you!

For where you are at the moment, I wouldn't worry about that level of vibration doing any damage.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

As the title of this thread is no longer related to the topic of this thread I'm going to create a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page