My Volt 10 Build (painted to match trim) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By mlah384
  • 1 Post By mlah384

post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 229
My Volt 10 Build (painted to match trim)

I built these a year ago. I recently ran across the pics for these, as well as my 1099's and realized I hadn't posted build threads yet! Unfortunately, I'm missing some pics. Hopefully I will find them, but for now these are the shots I got. Please forgive the crappy cel phone quality pics!

My room is an open concept. It has 12ft ceilings. I can really only do a 5.X setup since I have no side walls for surrounds. I can only do rear surrounds, and they have to be on ceiling

Here is a pic of where I will put them. I planned to put them in each corner on the ceiling. I have to consider WAF, so I will paint them the same color as the trim.

The Volts are super easy to assemble. The CNC is so clean, the enclosure can be dry fitted without using tape, etc to keep the pieces from falling.

I just used glue and clamps. No need for nail gun.

Glue dry, clamps removed, here's what it looks like before prep and paint:

The crossover is really simple and easy to assemble.

I used these connectors to connect the crossovers to the speaker leads. I just cut off the blue cover and soldered them to the wire. No lazy crimping here!

I painted them with Kiltz PRO X. I had Lowes (or HomeDepot, i forget which!) make it the same color as my trim. I painted 4 coats and it turned out nice! I was going to try Duratex in the same color as trim, but I didn't want to wait!

I mounted them using the white version of the PanaVise 110120W Speaker Mount.

Finished!

They sound really clear. It's hilarious when we order Pizza, because you can see one of the Volt 10's from the front door view. The Pizza delivery guys and gals all comment on them.
BCRSS, gogothedodo and RLBURNSIDE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 788
That's a really nice look. Well done!

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
How enveloping does it all sound from that height and angle?

What sort of REQ have you tried?

Those 10's have a hefty output, as does the rest of that good looking stuff . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 548 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 5005
post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All I've done so far is run Audyssey. They sound awesome! They aren't as loud as the 1099's but for surround duty they really are incredible. You don't notice how enveloped you are in the sound until you get up during a movie and walk around the room. My room is open to the kitchen. The other night we were watching a movie and I ran to the bathroom, when i was walking back into room, i was facing the kitchen and the volts, and I thought something was going on in the kitchen. The sound was so realistic and clear it sounded as if it was originating from the kitchen.

I would say these are the ultimate surround speakers. I don't know what would be better? You would have to get 1099's or the 88 Special for surrounds to top the Volt 10... and I'm not sure how much better, if at all better, they would be in a surround position. The Volt 10 in my opinion is the surround speaker sweet spot, definitely best bang for the buck.
eng-399 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-21-2015, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
All I've done so far is run Audyssey. They sound awesome! They aren't as loud as the 1099's but for surround duty they really are incredible. You don't notice how enveloped you are in the sound until you get up during a movie and walk around the room. My room is open to the kitchen. The other night we were watching a movie and I ran to the bathroom, when i was walking back into room, i was facing the kitchen and the volts, and I thought something was going on in the kitchen. The sound was so realistic and clear it sounded as if it was originating from the kitchen.

I would say these are the ultimate surround speakers. I don't know what would be better? You would have to get 1099's or the 88 Special for surrounds to top the Volt 10... and I'm not sure how much better, if at all better, they would be in a surround position. The Volt 10 in my opinion is the surround speaker sweet spot, definitely best bang for the buck.
Great job. They look awesome. How do you fee about the Kilz coverage, on the seems, etc?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
This is pretty sweet! I really liked all your pics and will subscribe... for future reference

What do those puppies weigh?

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #9 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fine looking craftsmanship all around . . .

could you post a link or any info wrt those mounts? they look strong

L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
post #10 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
@asarose247

Perhaps this one? http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-11012.../dp/B0002BBNEE

They're rated for up to 20 lbs. PanaVisa also has ones rated to up to 40 lbs: http://www.panavise.com/?id1=22&star...ECTIONSword=ww

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #11 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^

thanks much , added both to the wish list for future reference,

who doesn't love more access to more gadgets . . .

post #12 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
You don't notice how enveloped you are in the sound until you get up during a movie and walk around the room. My room is open to the kitchen. The other night we were watching a movie and I ran to the bathroom, when i was walking back into room, i was facing the kitchen and the volts, and I thought something was going on in the kitchen. The sound was so realistic and clear it sounded as if it was originating from the kitchen.
I am glad I am not the only one to get fooled into hearing something that isn't there. I was outside my front door the other day while playing a youtube music video, kinda loud and I thought I heard my cell phone ringing , rushed in and apparently it was on the music video. I could have swore it was my cell.
I really like the look of your Volts in white. Great job and now what is next?

post #13 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They are the 20lb mounts, but I think they can hold more weight than that... They are nice and beefy, very strong. They hold the Volt 10's with no problem. Just make sure you hit a stud with the screws!

My next projects will be two end tables each containing dual opposed 21" (or 18" depending on how the FTW-21 GB goes), then I will tackle a MBM setup underneath my 1099's, then I will work on 4 Volt 10's in ceiling for atmos!
post #14 of 17 Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:

Nice comments. My thoughts exactly about my solid year with them running surround duty for JTR Triple 8's and dual Submersives. All is sold and moving on but if I'm unsatisfied with new surround speaker endeavors I will come back to the Volts in a hurry. The big debate in 4722 thread was a smaller surround speaker cannot have the effect a large surround speaker can. I personally have not tried large speakers like the 4722 in surround positions but I (God's honest truth) can't imagine how something could sound larger than I had with the Volts. IT was staggering how "Enveloping" it was with just 5 channel surround. Opposite of small sounding or weak. Sounded huge, detailed and slashing effects and transition to mains were seamless with no gaps in sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
How enveloping does it all sound from that height and angle?

What sort of REQ have you tried?

Those 10's have a hefty output, as does the rest of that good looking stuff . .
I just sold my two Volts I built. I ran just two on side walls at about 110 degrees and ear height while standing (I'm 5'10"). I will always praise how damn good I thought they were. They were my absolute intentions to go with JBL 4722's in planned new room in standard 7 channel for starters. I have plenty of time and spent a good month on reading about surround options that could possibly be better and fit within my budget and desired size/sound quality. Concentric 8's seemed to be the winner but mentally I'm still attached to the Volts.

Of course if you spent any time in the 4722 thread the last couple days little 8" or 10" surrounds don't cut it
post #15 of 17 Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Nice comments. My thoughts exactly about my solid year with them running surround duty for JTR Triple 8's and dual Submersives. All is sold and moving on but if I'm unsatisfied with new surround speaker endeavors I will come back to the Volts in a hurry. The big debate in 4722 thread was a smaller surround speaker cannot have the effect a large surround speaker can. I personally have not tried large speakers like the 4722 in surround positions but I (God's honest truth) can't imagine how something could sound larger than I had with the Volts. IT was staggering how "Enveloping" it was with just 5 channel surround. Opposite of small sounding or weak. Sounded huge, detailed and slashing effects and transition to mains were seamless with no gaps in sound.

I just sold my two Volts I built. I ran just two on side walls at about 110 degrees and ear height while standing (I'm 5'10"). I will always praise how damn good I thought they were. They were my absolute intentions to go with JBL 4722's in planned new room in standard 7 channel for starters. I have plenty of time and spent a good month on reading about surround options that could possibly be better and fit within my budget and desired size/sound quality. Concentric 8's seemed to be the winner but mentally I'm still attached to the Volts.

Of course if you spent any time in the 4722 thread the last couple days little 8" or 10" surrounds don't cut it
The fact that the volt 10's were even compared to the jbl 4722's attests to how good the volts are! Hell, the 4722 is over three times the size and 10x the cost!
post #16 of 17 Old 11-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
The fact that the volt 10's were even compared to the jbl 4722's attests to how good the volts are! Hell, the 4722 is over three times the size and 10x the cost!
Oh yea for sure I just wanted to discuss such a speaker in the surround position vs a Volt, Concentric 8. Or something like a JTR Triple 8 or Reaction Audio CX-8. Point source coaxial designs have always been "said" to make very good surround speakers with point source design, dispersion patterns are fairly wide and all are decently sensitive. I would consider a couple 4722 surrounds if it really was THAT MUCH better despite the cost. But I'm not totally convinced its nothing more than a smaller 5-10% performance gain vs what it's made out to be. I certainly accept if I'm wrong as I'm nowhere near the brains some around here on AVS. I just know what I experienced before with a finely tuned system, methodically treated room was HUGE surround sound and effect. Bass and surrounds were 100% seamless and worked amazing together. I also accept if I am in denial and trying to justify settling for such a "smaller" surround speaker like a Volt #sarcasm
post #17 of 17 Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Oh yea for sure I just wanted to discuss such a speaker in the surround position vs a Volt, Concentric 8. Or something like a JTR Triple 8 or Reaction Audio CX-8. Point source coaxial designs have always been "said" to make very good surround speakers with point source design, dispersion patterns are fairly wide and all are decently sensitive. I would consider a couple 4722 surrounds if it really was THAT MUCH better despite the cost. But I'm not totally convinced its nothing more than a smaller 5-10% performance gain vs what it's made out to be. I certainly accept if I'm wrong as I'm nowhere near the brains some around here on AVS. I just know what I experienced before with a finely tuned system, methodically treated room was HUGE surround sound and effect. Bass and surrounds were 100% seamless and worked amazing together. I also accept if I am in denial and trying to justify settling for such a "smaller" surround speaker like a Volt #sarcasm
Technically a Volt 10" is a big ass surround speaker. When people walk into my room, they noticed the volts first because it's so unusual to have such a substantial surround. The jbl 4722 will definitely outperform it but at one hell of a cost both in size and money. And for a surround, I honestly don't think the human ear would notice a big difference between the two in a home environment. Maybe in a large room, but not the size rooms you normally see. The volt can handle up to 500w Rms when crossed at 80hz+, at 100watts you probably couldn't stay in the room with it. Same for the highly sensitive jbl. Both are capable of hearing damage. The only plus I see with the jbl is better low frequency response... I can see where strong upper mid bass would be attractive in a surround... If money and space were no object, I'd pick the JBL for sure... But the volt is such a damn sweet deal... Insane for the size and money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page