I know it may be redundant to have yet another Ultimax Sub build thread but I've been asked a lot of questions regarding the progress of my build by forum members/friends and I thought I'd share my experiences, mistakes and impressions in a dedicated thread instead of hijacking other threads/topics.
This kit is for my master bedroom where I have a gaming desktop computer set-up coupled with a Pioneer VSX-80 receiver and pair of Klipsch Synergy F-20 floor standing speakers. Initially, I was going to purchase a PSA S1500 and call it good. However, I couldn't quite justify the cost after I had just purchased two PSA V1500s back in March. This is the sole reason I decided to venture down the DIY route. In hindsight I am not entirely sure I would have done the DIY route again.... I would like to think that I would have considering I have learned a lot. Initially I wanted to do a veneer option, but after some research I determined it was going to make the process much more complicated for me as a beginner, especially considering the front baffle on the cabinet has rounded edges. I decided to go the Rust-Oleum route. The recent announcement by PSA regarding the veneer options for the S1500 left me with some regrets... Maybe next time!
PSAs S1500 veneer options - running $1249 a piece. Very beautiful subwoofers!
I ordered my kit from Parts-Express for $262 which included free shipping. Here is the link
. The next few lines are some of the other items I purchased for this build:
Rust-Oleum Restore 4x
one gallon found at Home Depot
. I wasn't able to find this at Lowes. I asked them to put the maximum amount of black color in the can that they could. The employee said he would put the maximum amount he could that his guide recommended. A side note about this paint... I found that it was extremely thick and took an incredible amount of mixing. I wish I would have used a drill paint mixer to mix the can of paint before I applied two coats. I have since purchased
a mixer and will use it before applying my last coat which I intend to do after a final sanding with 150 grit sand paper and an orbital sander. I used a six inch 3/8" nap roller to apply the coats of paint.
Neutrik NL4MPR Speakon Connector 4 Pole Round Chassis Mount
from PE as well. I was frustrated that this didn't come with disconnects but fortunately I found some at Autozone after searching Lowes and Home Depot. I would have ordered them from PE had I known better. Here
is the link for the disconnects at PE and below is a picture for the disconnects at Autozone. Also, I needed to buy a 15/16 Spade bit
to drill the hole for the connector.
Neutrik NL4FC Speakon Connector 4 Pole Cable Mount
- bought two of them
. I could have just purchased a 10ft 2-conductor NL4 Female to NL4 Female 12AWG Speaker Twist Connector Cable
and made things a heck of a lot easier. I'll need to wire the two connectors myself with speaker cable/wire.
I also purchased gasketing tape
and a speaker mounting kit
Lastly, I purchased a few clamps (I had none) and then borrowed the rest from a friend.
I have yet to purchase an amplifier... I am leaning toward Crown XLS but am also considering iNuke for their DSP functionality. This purchase will likely be tonight.
Fiberfill will be purchased from Wal-Mart tomorrow. Speaker wire will be ordered tonight once I find what I'm looking for (I kind of want something that is wrapped in a braided sheath... 14 gauge preferably).
More to come... as the night wears on I will post some pictures and some of the experiences (difficulties) that I had as a beginner assembling this thing.