Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
@DS-21

It's a fantastic driver. Wish I had some of these.
corradizo likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 of them. Each driver in its own Sealed Box and about 170litres.

Sadly, I cant compare them to any other SI or TC drivers as I havent experienced them, but the driver itself is one of the most clean-sounding woofer I have ever experienced.

Running them now With a high pass @ about 5Hz and up to 40Hz where I have 2 PA woofers taking care of the higher frequencies and Dynamics.
I have a fairly large Box which might not favor the upper frequencies of the driver.

I have only one downside, and it might be related to my big Sealed Box. When I did the Tempest 12 build, I got the taste of "real dynamic sound".
The MMS of NS18 is slightly over 400grams so it takes some Power to get it moving and maybe it lacks a bit of Dynamics because of that.
(Most drivers with high-xmax has high MMS due to powerhandling and stiffness of the cone)

My solution was to build 2 Bass bins With PA drivers, but now I have a LOT more distortion compared to the NS18.

If you are looking for clean - quality sound, this is the right driver. The build quality is great, maybe the speaker cable Connectors on the drivers could be a bit better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Ace View Post
I have 2 of them. Each driver in its own Sealed Box and about 170litres.

Sadly, I cant compare them to any other SI or TC drivers as I havent experienced them, but the driver itself is one of the most clean-sounding woofer I have ever experienced.

Running them now With a high pass @ about 5Hz and up to 40Hz where I have 2 PA woofers taking care of the higher frequencies and Dynamics.
I have a fairly large Box which might not favor the upper frequencies of the driver.

I have only one downside, and it might be related to my big Sealed Box. When I did the Tempest 12 build, I got the taste of "real dynamic sound".
The MMS of NS18 is slightly over 400grams so it takes some Power to get it moving and maybe it lacks a bit of Dynamics because of that.
(Most drivers with high-xmax has high MMS due to powerhandling and stiffness of the cone)

My solution was to build 2 Bass bins With PA drivers, but now I have a LOT more distortion compared to the NS18.

If you are looking for clean - quality sound, this is the right driver. The build quality is great, maybe the speaker cable Connectors on the drivers could be a bit better.
A few questions for you....

Why a 5hz HPF? You know most of your electronics are rolling off that bandwidth anyway. It's a bit redundant and unnecessary for one there. Higher up, I get.

Having a larger enclosure has zero effect on the higher bass frequencies.

This isn't a high power, low Q type driver and that might attribute to the lack of upper end dynamics but I'll tell ya, this is a best-in-class driver for upper bass response and distortion. You really shouldn't need a midbass system for these. Have you tried running them up to 120hz? If not, give it a shot.
notnyt likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 217
How does this driver compares to the BMS 18N862?
post #6 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Bass Enabler

Different. The Aura NS18 is arguably an actual subwoofer driver. The BMS (my new favorite pro midbass) is just that, it's a pro-style woofer and high sensitivity. It is not really designed for low frequencies like the NS18 would but the BMS is much higher in sensitivity.

Ideally, you would use the BMS and NS18 together. The BMS would do the high punchy bass and the Aura would do the low bass.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
@DS-21

It's a fantastic driver. Wish I had some of these.
Thanks Scott. I'm always looking towards the next upgrade. It's in my blood. I started out with two ht18 sealed in 4cuft flat packs. I can't say I dislike them, distortion is low, they shake the couch a little etc. - they rock. Since they are in our media area... The wife doesn't like them so much, so I can't go bigger. What's the best driver for the 4cuft flat pack? ...I know, it's the magic question. I wish I was ready to pull the trigger, I would have picked up two of the recent lms that came into stock. Now they are gone off course.

It seems the ns18 will work well in the cabs I have, but would they be better, louder, lower and run strong up to 120-150hz? More so than the hst18?
post #8 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Bass Enabler

Definitely. The HST18 is a monster but it has a lot of inductance and an associated hump and high end rolloff. The NS18 will be very flat naturally. Though the HST18 will most likely beat the NS18 <35hz with enough power.

"What's the best driver for the 4cuft flat pack?"

Umm... the LMS Ultra. Dude... there are a lot of good drivers that work in the 4cuft enclosure. "Best" is relative.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had one about 4 years ago, sealed in ~ 4cuft. It was loved to death - literally

Had it running off a bridged Beringher ep4k and came home to a toasted coil one night, still upset about it to this day. Too much space for a single sealed 18 to fill, and not enough distortion to make anyone back off the dial is what killed the beauty.

The driver itself was a work of art both aesthetically and engineered. I would have directly replaced it at the time, but none were available for a reasonable cost so I went to the LMS Ultra. To my untrained ear and moderate setup they are a great matchup, albeit very different. Both low distortion, high excursion premium 18's, but the Aura needed much less power to reach full potential. The Aura was slightly overpowered with a bridged ep4k, the Ultra laughed at it. Given enough power the Ultra has the edge especially down low, but if I were rebuilding a sealed setup from scratch today and wanted a premium long throw 18, I'd choose multiple Aura's with the correct amount of power just to make things more simple. Less power needed from the amp and at the wall, a lighter weight driver/box, and the Aura just felt higher quality in general.

I am only talking about a sealed setup - I have no idea if ported changes things.

RIP buddy
post #10 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have one in a sealed box and haven't been using it lately. I wonder if there are any horns that it would work in. Gjallerhorn? Or ?
post #11 of 24 Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Bass Enabler

Probably not. It has a rather high Vas and Q and would probably not work well in a high pressure horn system. That's not really what this driver is about. There are other better choices for such alignments.
post #12 of 24 Old 09-18-2015, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
A few questions for you....

Why a 5hz HPF? You know most of your electronics are rolling off that bandwidth anyway. It's a bit redundant and unnecessary for one there. Higher up, I get.
The EPX4000 amplifier does not like the <10Hz too much. It seemed like the lower frequencies would drain the amp and kick it into protection. With a HPF the amps are doing better and seems to have more headroom for the higher frequencies. REW measurements confirm that my HPF has a effect on the 5Hz HPF, even with Electronics roll-off.

Quote:
Having a larger enclosure has zero effect on the higher bass frequencies.
OK, so then we can leave the conclution to either the driver itself or placement since my bass bins and Aura share the same type of Electronics.

Quote:
This isn't a high power, low Q type driver and that might attribute to the lack of upper end dynamics but I'll tell ya, this is a best-in-class driver for upper bass response and distortion. You really shouldn't need a midbass system for these. Have you tried running them up to 120hz? If not, give it a shot.
I cant say that NS18 is a bad driver. It is very good and delivers great consider the frequency range it may work in. I have tried running it higher 120Hz and even higher, but it didt give me what I wanted.

I previously had B&W 604S3 mains, and I replaced them With the Tempest 12.
The sound between those 2 types of speaker is different. You may not see too much in a REW sweep, but you know they have a different sound.

The Tempest got me thinking, why is there so much difference in the sound?
B&W had clean output (if not driven too hard) and a "soft" signature. Tempest has more distortion and a "hard" signature, but still clean output (even if driven hard).

I figured the Eminence Deltra Pro 12 woofer in the Tempest delivered a more live sound where guitar and drum seemed more dynamic and "sharp"

Why this difference in sound as my Electronics are the same?
Could it be the related to the weight of the cone?

If you imagine yourself, holding 1KG in Your hands, try to move that 1KG as fast as you can - towards yourself and away frequently - How much energy would you use and how fast are you able to repeat that?
Then, if you lower the weight to 0,5KG, and repeat the test, how much energy and how fast are you able to move it?
My solution for this was to use Celestion FTR18-HD 4080HDX.
The power handling is about the same as NS18 but half the weight of the cone. (and much lower xmax)
To me, the FTR18 has more potential to respond more quickly than the NS18.

I dont say that MMS is key to everything, but if you look at that, in relation to the strenght of the magnet, you can see how much weight you are gonna move and what strenght you have the possibility to use.

Using NS18 for ULF and FTR18 for bass and Tempest as mains, has given me a HT With flexibility and great Dynamics (and headroom). I have never listen so much on live Music as I do now
And I do not need to play loud, I still get better Dynamics playing on low volume.

One other thing, When I reduced the NS18 operating frequency range, I needed a New amplifier for the FTR18's.
I now have more wattage to use than before, and the amplifiers used With NS18 has more watt available to use in the frequency range they work in.

Some People tend to have more speakers operating in the same frequency area to improve sound.
I have choosen to have more speakers, just narrowing the range of the frequency so the speakers can work where they are better. Not pushing the speakers to high or to low in frequency.

NS18 is a great driver, just dont expect it to solve all of your needs
post #13 of 24 Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 219
How would the NS18 compare output wise to an HST18 or TC LMS Ultra? Would it have more output than my UM18?

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #14 of 24 Old 10-15-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Here's a newb type question...Say a guy is comparing the Dayton RSS460 to this driver. The Dayton has close to the same xmax, higher sensitivity, and a few other parameters in it's corner. Without measuring the distortion for both of these, is the main difference just the underhung vs overhung motor that makes it better?

Obviously there's the price, which also probably encompasses build quality...

In my current living situation, it almost makes sense to get rid of the 4 RSS460 drivers that I don't really have room for and replace them with 2 of these. From the sounds of this thread I'd gain quality. Similar thoughts have crossed my mind regarding the LMS Ultra's but they aren't available consistently enough to be serious contenders.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post
How would the NS18 compare output wise to an HST18 or TC LMS Ultra? Would it have more output than my UM18?

Based on the specs, about the same as the UM18. Less than the HST and LMS.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
Here's a newb type question...Say a guy is comparing the Dayton RSS460 to this driver. The Dayton has close to the same xmax, higher sensitivity, and a few other parameters in it's corner. Without measuring the distortion for both of these, is the main difference just the underhung vs overhung motor that makes it better?

Obviously there's the price, which also probably encompasses build quality...

In my current living situation, it almost makes sense to get rid of the 4 RSS460 drivers that I don't really have room for and replace them with 2 of these. From the sounds of this thread I'd gain quality. Similar thoughts have crossed my mind regarding the LMS Ultra's but they aren't available consistently enough to be serious contenders.

Yes, the underhung motor is the advantage. Hard to quantify how much advantage it might have without actual measurements. As for your theoretical upgrade, IMO the Aura should be in a 6-8 CF sealed box, so if your 460s are in 4 CF, you don't save much space. You lose output from dropping to two subs, and I'm not sure if you would gain quality from 2 Auras run at 100% vs 4 460s at 50%. The LMS would really have been the winning option.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 4926
@corradizo if your thinking on getting 2 of these subs I could build the box for them for you. If you add 2" inches to each l/w/h it ends up being 7 cubic feet. Your wife shouldn't notice the difference to much on them. Maybe bring them down at night and let her find out when there in place and then beg for forgiveness. Let me know this would be nice in your media area.
corradizo likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Yes, the underhung motor is the advantage. Hard to quantify how much advantage it might have without actual measurements. As for your theoretical upgrade, IMO the Aura should be in a 6-8 CF sealed box, so if your 460s are in 4 CF, you don't save much space. You lose output from dropping to two subs, and I'm not sure if you would gain quality from 2 Auras run at 100% vs 4 460s at 50%. The LMS would really have been the winning option.
Agreed on the LMS but I don't like wasting time on the unknown. I'd go with AE drivers before that. At least I know John's status and process.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Very interesting with the under hung motor, but looking to the spec, should it not be rated ~12.7 mm Xmax?

Voice Coil Winding Length (h) . . . . . 25.4 mm
Inherent Magnetic Gap Depth (He) . . . . . . . . 50.8 mm
post #20 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post
Didn't you get answers to this in your other thread? The NS18 is a different kind of beast, it can be used higher and won't have the issues associated with high inductance drivers. Besides the fact that you won't have to worry about the LMS being damaged in transit or QC issues...
post #21 of 24 Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post
Didn't you get answers to this in your other thread? The NS18 is a different kind of beast, it can be used higher and won't have the issues associated with high inductance drivers. Besides the fact that you won't have to worry about the LMS being damaged in transit or QC issues...
Well I guess I didn't get all the answers. Believe me I would just prefer to check DataBass, but it has not been tested. There is not a whole lot of user input on these drivers either. Also the resale on these drivers is particularly bad, because not many people are aware it exists. I am looking for a sub with relatively low inductance and high output. With many of the current drivers it's either one or the other. So the reason I am looking at the LMS is because it has both elements .

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #22 of 24 Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@corradizo if your thinking on getting 2 of these subs I could build the box for them for you. If you add 2" inches to each l/w/h it ends up being 7 cubic feet. Your wife shouldn't notice the difference to much on them. Maybe bring them down at night and let her find out when there in place and then beg for forgiveness. Let me know this would be nice in your media area.
Thanks Mike! After spending some time working on my setup, thanks to the vibsensor thread, it seems I need much more bass :-) I think if you play the opening scene to EOT enough, all other movies just sound weak. I think I need to play to my rooms strength which is at 18hz. So my next step will be to try porting my SI ht18's. .2 G's ain't cutting it!
eng-399 likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Different. The Aura NS18 is arguably an actual subwoofer driver. The BMS (my new favorite pro midbass) is just that, it's a pro-style woofer and high sensitivity. It is not really designed for low frequencies like the NS18 would but the BMS is much higher in sensitivity.

Ideally, you would use the BMS and NS18 together. The BMS would do the high punchy bass and the Aura would do the low bass.
I have a BMS 18N862 in an 120L sealed cab, and in my room, it has this response:

I've just had the change to get two LMS Ultra second hand, almost as new, for an excellent price.
My first plan is to do what you suggested here:
- 2 LMS Ultra on 125L sealed cabs, covering 0-40/50Hz.
- 1 BMS covering 40/50Hz to 120/150Hz.

(transition will probably be selected using concrete measures, and final response EQ'es using Dirac Live).

I could run the BMS full range, but i'm assuming that freeing it from the low frequencies will allow it to run with inexistente distortion between 40-120/150Hz.
I could also just remove the BMS, but i doubt the LMS would be able to provide the same kick in the chest as the BMS.

What would you suggest?
post #24 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I use a NS10-513-4A in something like 1.5cuft ported (I forget the exact volume). Really musical, and I sometimes do indeed use it even with music. I like it. Would like to hear the NS18 someday myself. No direct comments on the NS18 on my part but if it sounds anywhere near as great as the NS10 it would make a great subwoofer in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page