Gym sound system w/ BFM DR200's and T39's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By squiers007
  • 1 Post By squiers007

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Gym sound system w/ BFM DR200's and T39's

Thought I'd brag a little and make a quick thread showing off the new sound system I just installed in our gym. Our gym is a private warehouse gym primarily dedicated to powerlifters. I was planning on building a pair of these subs but came across a deal on some used that was too good to pass up. So our system now consists of a pair of DR200's and 4 Titan 39's. I'm running the system in Mono off of a Behringer nu3000 and all my x-overs, limiters, and EQ are handled by a Dbx Driverack PA. I custom designed the amp rack so that the mixer would be hidden and access to the amp and Driverack would be restricted. I wanted the system to be as simple and foolproof to operate as possible. Everyone who is a member of our gym has 24hr. access and can come and go as they please. For this reason I had to design the system so no one (but myself) could mess with the settings and amp gains.

We will also be using this system as a PA for when we host meets which is why I went with the mixer in the first place over a simple stereo receiver. We are just using a simple Yamaha 6-channel mixer. The mixer takes input from either an AUX cord or FM radio and feeds a mono signal to the Driverack and then comes the fun part. In order to make it where no one could mess with the mixer I needed a way for people to control the volume separate from the main volume on the mixer. For this I found the Control Freak made by Emotiva. This thing works perfect. Here's the link to the product, but basically it's an external volume knob that attenuates the low level signal coming out of the driverack before it is input to the amp. Since I'm not running in stereo one side of the Control Freak is handling the "Low" output and the other side is handling the "High". So I can now set my gains and main volume on the mixer so that even if someone were to crank the volume knob all the way up they will not be able to damage any of the speakers.

The next piece of equipment that was essential for easy operation was the Furman M-8S power sequencer. This is essentially a power strip, but it has 3 groups of outlets that power up in order with a delay between groups. So first my low voltage equipment powers up (mixer, and driverack), then the FM tuner, and lastly the power amp. On shut-down it powers down in the opposite order so the power amps turn off first. This eliminates any possibility of power down thumps.

So now I've got a setup that only has 1 power switch for everything, 1 volume knob for everything, and access to the mixer, driverack, and amp is restricted. All the members have to do is flip the power switch, plug there phone into the AUX cord and turn up the volume. If they want radio instead all they have to do is turn it on.

Listening Impression:

All I can say is WOW! These speakers are so clean and clear it's incredible! For members who have been around for a while you will probably recognize the speakers I'm using because they are in fact the exact same speakers once owned by MKtheater and used in his speaker shootout thread.

This system will play extremely loud and I have the volume throttled way back at the mixer so we don't get the cops called on us. The Gym Owners were blown away by the system and had no idea they would get this level of system for there modest budget. We now have a sound system capable of Rock Concert like volume's with zero distortion and a PA system that will fill an auditorium.

I'd like to thank the members of the BFM forum for all there help in designing this system and especially Bruce Weldy who answered tons of my questions.

P.S. The sub placement is temporary and it will eventually go in the back corner of the gym and be stacked and V-plated facing the wall for additional free output. Also, I'm sure some of you will notice that the T39's are not built to spec and have 2 access covers that are not flush mounted. I did not build these so I'm not sure why the builder choose to do that, but I checked all of the covers and they each have gaskets that are fully sealing the cabs.

I think it's also safe to say that we currently have the loudest deadlift platform in Texas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equip rack.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1004425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_143234.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1004433   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-18 16.17.13.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1004441  
JCJetta and eng-399 like this.

Check out my End-Table Marty Build

Last edited by squiers007; 10-19-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Awesome! I have been debating on getting the 200's again, they were great!

Nothing right now
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Awesome! I have been debating on getting the 200's again, they were great!
They do sound great! We ended up putting a fresh coat of Duratex on the cabs and put 2 coats of spray shellac on the inside of the horn to give it semi-gloss finish and make cleaning off the dust easier. Really cleaned them up and has them looking like new again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Cool! I was thinking of trying the DR-200 with compression drivers. The DR-250's don't fit in my wall anymore.

Nothing right now
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I'm pretty sure I could hit a deadlift PR on that platform.

I upgrade the sound system a a similar industrial park gym I trained at a while back; certainly the acoustical properties of the brick walls left quite a bit to be desired, but what mattered more was Trivium wasn't distorting completely.

Off topic, I now train in my basement. If Santa brings me a Texas DL bar this Christmas (or EFS puts it on sale), I'll pretty much have all the goodies I need.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
I'm pretty sure I could hit a deadlift PR on that platform.

I upgrade the sound system a a similar industrial park gym I trained at a while back; certainly the acoustical properties of the brick walls left quite a bit to be desired, but what mattered more was Trivium wasn't distorting completely.

Off topic, I now train in my basement. If Santa brings me a Texas DL bar this Christmas (or EFS puts it on sale), I'll pretty much have all the goodies I need.
Yea, I had a good day deadlift day on Sunday with it playing at my back!! These DRs are so clean with no distortion that you find yourself turning up the volume a lot louder than you normally would with no fatigue what so ever. They are just clean and clear!

Thankfully we have a bunch of nice equipment. The space is small and pretty cramped, but what we lack in that department we make up for in quality racks/bars. We have 2 Mono-lifts, 2 power racks, 2 deadlift platforms, 2 dedicated benches, a Texas power bar, a Texas Squat Bar, 2 texas deadlift bars, Duffalo Bar, Cambered Bar, and Safety Squat Bar. We also have no AC, and no Cardio machines. Weighted sled and prowler only! It's pretty much a no frills hardcore gym. Lots of chalk dust and sweat!
JCJetta likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Had some time the other day to play round with my UMIK-1 and REW on this setup and was able to tweak the EQ a bit more to bring things a bit flatter than the auto EQ of the Driverack PA could do. The driverack did a really good job, but there was a couple spots that were still a little off.

Now that I've had a lot of time to listen to this setup I have to say it sounds phenomenal! All of the gym members have been blown away when listening to it and all of them love the lows the subs can produce, especially when I'm there and crank it up for them! The detail and clarity of the DR200's is amazing and there is zero hint of any distortion even when playing at and above 110db's. If anyone is looking for a PA setup or has room for these speakers in there home theater I cannot recommend them enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page