Beast's 2nd Annual G2G!!!! Nov 21st! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #181 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That was a great experience! Beast was a great host. I definitely hope it's not my last GTG event. I feel like I learned a crapton load of stuff just by listening to the various conversations. Definitely gives me a lot to think about.

To echo 24Changer, 157dbs at 36Hz is something you won't likely soon forget.
ambesolman and beastaudio like this.

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Crummy surrounds I need to replace
Dayton sealed 18" and full sized Marty - EP 4000 bridged
Epson 3500 and Homegear 120" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Beast, you are a terrific host. From the tasty BBQ to the unending selection of local craft brews and positive vibe, I had a great time actually meeting people I have 'known' for quite some time. The house is awesome, the view of the city from the back deck even better.

The theme of the gtg for me can be summed up in one sentence:

"You can never have too much LF....wait a minute...maybe you can."

Your theater can be best described by the phrase 'takes no prisoners'.

The Danley LCR front stage is dangerous. Little to no ear fatigue even at crazy levels.

The subs are very well done, and to say the words headroom and overkill would not do them justice. The back row riser significantly helped, and the front row HST18 nearfield experience was brutal.

The finish on the surrounds that were visible was impressive, especially considering epoxy can be so unforgiving, but wow, what a 'glazed/encased in glass' finish...

I liked the added immersion with the overheads. While I am not quite on the ATMOS bandwagon, I am being pulled in that direction.

But the best part was the people; getting to know everyone, learning how to correctly pronounce names/handles, and shooting the breeze and hearing about systems, room treatments, what people do in the real world, etc.

I think many folks I talked to agreed that a great story trumps cell phone pics/video nearly every time, and is a more social experience, with fewer possible future repercussions.

Meeting people I have been in contact with for years was very cool, Scott, Bosso, Shred, Ricci. Great conversations about horns, preserving midbass punch, how we got into audio, etc.

Many others whose names and handles are blending together, it was great meeting you and getting feedback on the gloves and BEQ trailers. Some trailers improved significantly, others less so, and I'm glad the amps had robust protection mechanisms for that last one.

Glad you're gonna save the Gene Autrey ATMOS demo for next time. I'm not sure I was ready for it last night. It would have been too much, too soon.

JSS
ambesolman, NWCgrad and beastaudio like this.
post #183 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post
MaxMercy's BEQ trailers. Those trailers were insane!
Some info on these, please.
Once your head clears.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Can't wait to hear some of the juicy details of this GTG!

post #185 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
#ItsBoTime
homeskizzle likes this.
post #186 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
I am so tired, and I wiped out at 3 am and 2 am. Don't know how the hardcore's made it on little to no sleep. The 7.5 h drive home sucked due to traffic on I-81 but WAS SO WORTH IT FOR AN EXCELLENT WEEKEND.

post #187 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Sounds awesome! I hope I could attend someday, when the kids get older! I love Maxmercy's BEQ, I use Transformers 2 all the time for demos.
post #188 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just want to say thank's to everyone. I had such a great time. Learned a ton.

Beast is a fantastic host!

Watching the light fixture pistoning like the con rod in my Honda S2000 was a memorable highlight : )

Getting the breath knocked out of me on the "Ride of Death" was another!
beastaudio likes this.
post #189 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just saw they are making John Wick 2, watched the original yesterday and on Beast's system it was epic. Will have to make another road trip when it comes out on blu ray......
carp likes this.

post #190 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Well another great event. Just got home a little bit ago, 10 hours on the nose, pretty good considering I was parked on the beltway for about a half hour! I also only got into one road rage fight!!! So I am pretty happy.

I really cannot say anything more than has already been said. Missed some of the crew, you all know who you are, however it was nice to meet a couple of new people I have read up on and talked with for years here and there. This is probably the 7th or 8th GTG I have been to with Brandon, so he knows my feelings and it is always good to see you man, I love coming down to the Ash for a Balls out GTG weekend. Thanks for having me and your hospitality! I also have to add that all you guys are good people and some I consider friends now. It's good to get out and hang with some cool people, good times, had allot of fun talking with everyone.

I will also throw it in that we also gotta say thanks to the guys that make this stuff happen and pitch in to make it a great event. All these guys pitch in one way or another that make this hobby what it is and they are good people. Lugging 3 8ft^ boxes to an event is not easy along with hours of set up. I love the 24's and they have amazed me every time I have heard them! David has done a great job with his 24 Mariana and they are just an amazing sub! Hearing all these subs and talking to Brandon, I actually changed my mind about selling my ported SIHST18's. I am going to store them for a bit till I figure what I am doing here in the near future.

David @dgage
Nick @Electrodynamic
Dave @bossobass
Paul @Shreds
Josh @Ricci
Spencer @maxmercy

And anybody I missed.

I also have to add that I fell in love with the SH50's. I have heard the fiddy's quite a few times now in a few different rooms and I have been hot and cold. I know the last time I heard them in B's room I liked them, but there was no love. I mentioned it to him last night that I know he did something to them because they sounded so much better this time around. They were much more dynamic and very clean and the imaging was fantastic, the entire front stage was full! Not to mention the bass they were putting out in full range, man they were putting out some thump! They would certainly not work in my theater, but I am wondering if I should revisit the 60F again or the HT60, (if it exist?) That is a little ways off, but they are going to be on my mind for sure! The Atmos demos were great. I have not went full Atmos yet, I have the processor but I think it is time to start getting some Atmos speakers put up.

Again I had a blast and I am already looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Reef
post #191 of 289 Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Beast, what speakers are you using for surrounds and Atmos to match the SH-50's? The SH-50 is one speaker I don't want to hear!
chrapladm likes this.
post #192 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Beast, what speakers are you using for surrounds and Atmos to match the SH-50's? The SH-50 is one speaker I don't want to hear!
Diy Radian 10's.
post #193 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Quoted: 5657 Post(s)
Liked: 5515
Happy that all had a great time! I want to thank those that already posted impressions and encourage those that have not to be sure and chime in when you have some time!

We escaped the day without dropping any can lights out of the ceiling, the only pictures that fell stayed safe, and no pottery above the room was broken, so I would say a massive success!!! Big thanks to David @dgage for bringing some DSS goodies to play with, and for the massive KP effort in the kitchen! Spencer @maxmercy for the BEQ awesomeness (no really, really frikkin cool), Paul @Shreds for his killer measurement rig, and all the other fun stuff we managed to do! I hope you got at least most of what you wanted to measure. We need to do it again sometime without all the additional craziness. Can't wait to see what all you've captured from the SL readings and whatnot.

Dave @bossobass , as always, fun chatting with you about anything and everything. Glad you could make it as well man! Other Dave @Reefdvr27 (we quite a few Daves there...haha) Thanks for the rolls man! I sent some off with a few of the other guys, and kept quite a few for myself as well! Thanks also for letting me use your car as the food delivery service truck. I can't believe the BBQ place screwed up again! At least this time they made it right after a return trip.

Nick @Electrodynamic for his incredible woofers and his buddy for bringing the Tahoe. That was something serious to experience. I am glad I can cross that off my bucket list now to say the least. I don't know if my body/ears liked me much after that...

@ambesolman for all your help and this impressive grit cake thingies.

@Ricci for making the long trip and bringing those massive woofers, I know someone got a pic of those somewhere right?

@Scott Simonian for making the long trip and mad stoked we finally got to hang out in person!

@NWCgrad Steve for making down. always good to see you again man and glad your health is well.

My other NC/SC brethren, @ORIF @24Changer @homeskizzle ....we need to do this type thing more often! Who's next?

@Madaeel for coming down! Great to meet you as well man! Good times!

I think I got everyone Now it's time to get on the phone real quick and call about this dang Gene Autry disc....To explain. I had ordered Gravity atmos edition to demo for everyone this weekend. For whatever reason, it look like 2 weeks to show up from FYE (I had a giftcard, so I used it). I was surprised when I opened the package and saw this instead:

So yep, I guess we will do Gravity in atmos another time.

I was impressed with the amount of content we got to go through. Couple snags here and there, but I feel like we put a pretty good dent into some stuff. There is always that scene or two you don't get through, but my thoughts were to do a few things that are outside the usual go-to's that people have seen 1000 times. I thought a lot of people were really surprised with how well the Danleys managed full range duty on acoustic type material. I many times love enjoying them in PURE direct stereo on that setting later in the evening. I think most people did see a benefit in the Atmos/Auro demos and agree that while subtle, it definitely is an upgrade that many can consider worth it if you have the capability to incorporate it right. I am glad we in fact did NOT shake the PJ off it's rack as I think someone mentioned was the only true yardstick of a successful g2g. What I will say, we definitely improved on the bass immensely. I will let Paul get into that a little bit more, but wow. There was quite a few times while content was playing that I was running around up and downstairs checking out the conversations going on outside the theater and stuff like that but dang man, I just forget sometimes how violent it can get above the theater room while the system is cranked....and the extension we added to the system makes that all the more violent now.

Anyways, super stoked that all you made it out. Consider yourselves invited any time you want to swing back by! Also I need to shoot some mad props out to my wife for vacating the premises and letting us go crazy on the house for the weekend! I'm a lucky man! I am still in recovery mode today man! Lack of sleep, ears with a slight ring in them for most of yesterday, and a fair amount of soreness in my liver, but all those are totally worth it for good times, good food, and great local beers! Thanks again to all that made this even more memorable this time around!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #194 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
I swear beast's gtgs get better every year! Tons of great demo material and even better folks to talk shop with. Got to see some old faces again as well as meet new ones that I normally only get to give a hard time to here. Definitely more fun to do it in person!
As always, beast is an excellent host and gives the attendees what they want as well as control of the remote (always a questionable decision).
Two long but fun nights lasting until 4am or later makes the lack of sleep worth every second. That system just sucks you in making you never want to leave.
Great weekend of food, fun, folks and bassy goodness. Can't ask for more than that!

Special thanks to @maxmercy to burning the image of the "love board" into my brain. Makes me shudder every time but won't shake the image from my brain.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448306056.876049.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1075082

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
dgage likes this.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #195 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Really disappointed I missed this and catching up with friends...was this || close to coming and my schedule got screwed up due to some unorganized people...was really ticked. Knew everyone would have a great time at Brandon's....wouldn't expect anything else....promise to make it to your next one Beast ...but hopefully one of us does another gtg soon...need an excuse to play.
dgage likes this.
post #196 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Quoted: 5657 Post(s)
Liked: 5515
Haha, I gotta take a month or two off after something like that, but you know I am down!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #197 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
post #198 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Sounds like everyone had an awesome time! Would love to get to one of your GTGs some time Brandon!

That area is gorgeous; my brother attends Western Carolina University, so I've been proximate during a few trips to visit him.
post #199 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Beastaudio's signal chain starts with an OPPO 103 running into a Marantz AV7702 receiver, sub out into a minidsp 2ch XLR and then into 2 amps for his 8 front HT18's and 2 near field HST18s. I ran a loop of his Marantz's sub out jack and added the minidsp bypassed to the mix to see what rolloff the small signal chain stuff had. I'm very impressed with the low end response of the Marantz, it is very close to the OPPO 105's analog sub out. I'll have to post a comparison of the 2 in the appropriate thread sometime soon.

RED trace is the Marantz sub out and the GREEN is the minidsp added to it.

I've been very curious of the AV7702's ability to handle high levels of re-directed bass without clipping the signal for a while now. I was also curious to see if the OPPO (which has been proven to clip movie tracks with hot re-directed bass) http://data-bass.ipb...o-scope/?p=6640 would end up passing the clipped signal out of the HDMI port digitally since the problem is apparently in the OPPO's digital section. I was relieved to find out that it didn't and if you attenuate the Marantz AVR's sub out or MVL by at least 10.5dB you will be for sure safe against clipping in a worst case scenario for a 7.1 track with re-directed bass.

I just came up with a new design for an adjustable, all analog bang for buck sub preamp that can output over 16V peaks clean. It can be used as an LT, line booster/attenuator, RCA to XLR active converter or signal chain rolloff booster. I brought a prototype to the GTG and Bosso and I dialed in a quick curve on it to replace Beast's minidsp in the signal chain mainly due to the fact that it is flat in frequency response to below 1Hz, has a higher dynamic range and it is more flexible in the LT curve it can apply to a sealed setup.

The WHITE trace is the mini DSP and the RED trace is the new SEQSS-V (dash V for variable) at the MLP.

After re-calibrating the gain stages we then played some gun shot scenes from John Wick http://data-bass.ipb...on-poll-closed/ for reference to test the system adjustment.

Even though Beast's system is located in a basement, it has gobs of tactile ULF punch and this was the perfect scene to experience the a$$ whoopin' that it can dish out.

Then we played EOT's intro square wave sustained brutality and you gotta love Beast... he has no problem pushing the limits of whatever system is at his finger tips. He pushed his system until reaching the amps' breaking point and fortunately his Crest and Peavey have reliable protection circuits. You could hear an unpleasant transient sound when they kicked in at the end of the 15Hz tone as they severly limited the output of the following tone.

Not sure if this was really reference level, my guess is that it was quite a bit hotter but I wasn't running the SPL meter at the time.

I wish I had more time to measure to see at what point the amp's power tapered off but there were just too many cool people to socialize with so you guys will have to forgive me.

Then we hooked up 2 of dgage's Mariana HS24 subs. Here are a couple quick measurements:

BLUE trace is a close mic and the RED trace is the MLP. Room was obviously fighting us on this but we didn't have the space or time to tame the peak at 15Hz.

Gage then picked Lone Survivor's helicopter scene as a reference scene to demo:

I had no idea how brutal this scene was as I totally missed this movie. It had the 24's moving for sure and sounded powerful.

I had many more things that I wanted to measure and post about but this was a pretty special GTG IMO (TWO mods from DB?!) and I just couldn't pass up on conversing with as many people as possible. You guys are all as cool as ice and I was happy to spend time with all of you. And Brandon: thanks buddie, you are hands down the host with the most, your theater is top freaking notch, bad to the bone. I really enjoyed the giant image of the Atmos demo and your low end is world class!

Last edited by Shreds; 11-23-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #200 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

One of the ULF highlights of the day was when maxmercy gave us a BEQ demo of what the nanoAVR is capable of doing in the right hands. He took his favorite Dolby/DTS/THX/ demo trailers and BEQ'd em' to extend their low frequency response to full bandwidth. He would play the original recording first and then show what happened with the BEQ applied. It was awesome, everyone could tell a gigantic difference having the ULF in the scenes with Beast's 10 -18's. Here are some highlights:

SCALE:

Bottom one is without BEQ and top is with it applied.

Black lines divide the different scenes.

This last one's EQ'd version was so utterly violent that it shut both the Crest and Peavey sub amps down in a scary manner. We backed it off a bit to experience the awesomely powerful transient effect.

This demo was like getting a free back massage in Beast's comfortable theater seating.
Scott Simonian, dgage and grtuck like this.

Last edited by Shreds; 11-23-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #201 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

There was a competition car guy named Sterling at the GTG who enlisted Nick from SI to build him a new model of the HS24 with a new larger motor and 4" coil that ended up weighing in at ~140lbs each. Nick named the new behemoth the BHS-24. This gentleman was kind enough to give whoever wanted to experience the 2 BHS-24's in a 4th order bandpass in his SUV a ride to demo them with music. I wasn't brave enough to do it (I'm a wimp when it comes to high SPL like that) but my cousin Matt went on a ride and described it as awesome and hard to breath while the beasts were reaching RMS levels of 6000 sustained watts! Apparently the system can reach SPL peaks of 157dB!

Pictures just aren't the same as seeing how large these motors look in person.

Here is a video link that Sterling gave me of the system in action:

Oh and I happened to be talking with Scott and he showed me some drivers that were laying in the front room and my jaw must've been hanging wide open when I saw this futuristic brilliantly designed neodymium super alien technology uber driver. I'm not going to ruin the surprise of who used these to upgrade their system but here are a couple pics:

We didn't get a chance to get these things in motion but just looking at all the details of the design was fun in itself.

I didn't think to take any pics or vids of the GTG (sorry guys) so if anyone else did please post them. -I think a few of you took vid of the ceiling grid flexing?

Last edited by Shreds; 11-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #202 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brandon, man this GTG was epic! Spending a weekend with people who don't think this stuff is nuts was great. Meeting lots of new people was a highlight of the weekend even with the impressive audio demonstrations.

The DSL's were amazing, next time I will bring my Leonard Cohen Live in Dublin blu ray as its freaking awesome. He may be 81 but still puts on a great show and his "The Future" CD is a must have. The coaxial surrounds and Atmos were impressive, especially considering some of the SPL levels we were hitting.

The subs....what can I say it was bass bliss. The 24's and the 10 18's were just awesome in tactile feel and impact. At times my surgical site was hurting like hell, and Friday night was my 6 month pat surgery mark.

Everyone I spoke with was great, I think it takes a certain imbalance to embrace this culture so we all seem to relate well. I couldn't believe how fast the time flew by. Overall great time with great people.
dgage and beastaudio like this.

post #203 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 3823 Post(s)
Liked: 3780
post #204 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
oooo rf 19
+1

A beer says Ricci is going to use this in a horn, probably his GH replacement.
post #205 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM

What is BEQ?

post #206 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
+1

A beer says Ricci is going to use this in a horn, probably his GH replacement.
Really? Think it will fit? Waiting to see the t/s params he measures, this one looks interesting.
post #207 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What is BEQ?
Bass EQ. It is actually rebassing a movie. Some of the guys at DB have figured out how to use EQ to dig that lost bass out of filtered movies. It was pretty amazing at the difference. MaxMercy had a demo disc that did side by sides of clips with standard and then BEQ'd.
post #208 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Really? Think it will fit? Waiting to see the t/s params he measures, this one looks interesting.
Over twice the BL of a 5400...just over 500!
post #209 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Over twice the BL of a 5400...just over 500!
where are you seeing the specs?
post #210 of 289 Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Bass EQ. It is actually rebassing a movie. Some of the guys at DB have figured out how to use EQ to dig that lost bass out of filtered movies. It was pretty amazing at the difference. MaxMercy had a demo disc that did side by sides of clips with standard and then BEQ'd.
This sounds like the old Audio Control Phase coupled activator I used to have around 1987 coupled to my RTR 600D speakers! This does sound awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page