I finally got a free weekend to nearly complete my dual Ultimax 18 build. A quick big shout out the the community to convincing me to go with 18s instead of 15s
Ya'll are doing your job well!
The bundle was purchased from Parts Express, so I decided to go with the UM-18s instead of the Stereo Integrity HT18s. I also purchased them because of the bundled price and driver performance/sexiness.
These subs will be powered with a single iNuke 3000DSP with the budget to simply add a 2nd if needed. I decided on the 3000DSP instead of the 6000DSP because these will be going into a 12x12x8 bedroom where room gain is a huge bonus for these monster subs. Although I could have purchased the 6000DSP and called it quits, two 3000DSPs gives me an option for quads in the far future (maybe I'm just trying to justify a mistake, not sure
but I'm hoping the just-under 600 watt/sub will be suitable).
My progress so far is having both cabinets assembled, while one is currently still on clamps. I let the first cabinet sit for a total of 5 hours with 5 clamps and some added top weight. The same goes for the 2nd cabinet.
I did have to go and grab some wood filler and a needle to fill a couple small gaps. I'm not sure if this was an operator error, or a slight warp in the MDF, but a couple corners would NOT line up perfectly on the first cabinet. A little extra sanding, but nothing handicapping or compromising the cabinet. The 2nd cabinet went almost 1000% perfect.
The finish will be a DuraTex finish, roller grade. Nothing super fancy, but it was a simple black finish that blends in well. I was really thinking of something to make those large drivers pop, but I also wanted the subs to fit in with the rest if the furniture, etc. So I think the DuraTex will be fine.
Tomorrow I will sand off the extra glue, calk the cabinets with silicone, drill holes to mount the SpeakOn connectors, fill the cabinets with poly fill, and drop the driver in for a test fire. Once all goes well, the cabinets will be painted, and the drivers will become officially mounted with a T-Nut kit from Parts Express.
Thanks everyone for helping with all the questions. It's not done yet, but I'm glad I decided to go the DIY route to maximize the price/performance ratio. I'm really hoping these subs will be money well spent.
I do have a couple questions: