Dual UM-18 Build Thread (with pictures) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 81 Old 11-21-2015, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Found another picture on my phone. Not sure how I missed this one

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 4.35.02 PM.png
Views:	1305
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	1071674  
INDY27 likes this.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Thanks the meet was a fun time! Its nice to hear all the different diy speakers to. Behind the rack I have 2-20 amp circuits and 1-15 amp circuit. I only use the 2-20 amps circuits though because I never really draw any more power than what was pictured above. Maybe down the road if I bought a clone I would need more power but with what I have and hitting 129db I think I'm good for a while. I would like to go higher but at the same time it's already really loud and I'm always worried about breaking things in the house at that level... The only added thing for power consumption would be me adding 4 more 12's Nearfield and adding an amp for that. The inukes amps have been pretty good for me so far and don't use a lot of amps off the circuit.
Any thoughts on some UM-18s?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 5.56.37 PM.png
Views:	757
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1071682  

post #63 of 81 Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Any thoughts on some UM-18s?

Those subs are my next upgrade if I blow up my HT-18's or the new Stereo Integrity 18 that's coming out in the spring time. Like I said I wish I could do a side by side with them or demo someone else's subs that live around the Chicago land area. I read all the threads on here everyday and wonder how much more bass I would have if I didn't have to set the limiter on my amps and just feed the subs full power. There's guys building horns, IB setups, and much more and have some serious HT systems. It would be nice to demo something in the upper 130's to low 140db sub setups and at the same time see how there house reacts to that much power. When I turn mine up the coffee table up stairs moves and the dishes bounce around in the china cabinet. I'm always worried I'm going to crack drywall or break stuff. How does your house handle your subs. I bet they sound great in your room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 Old 11-21-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those subs are my next upgrade if I blow up my HT-18's or the new Stereo Integrity 18 that's coming out in the spring time. Like I said I wish I could do a side by side with them or demo someone else's subs that live around the Chicago land area. I read all the threads on here everyday and wonder how much more bass I would have if I didn't have to set the limiter on my amps and just feed the subs full power. There's guys building horns, IB setups, and much more and have some serious HT systems. It would be nice to demo something in the upper 130's to low 140db sub setups and at the same time see how there house reacts to that much power. When I turn mine up the coffee table up stairs moves and the dishes bounce around in the china cabinet. I'm always worried I'm going to crack drywall or break stuff. How does your house handle your subs. I bet they sound great in your room!
Well, I guess you would at least have to wait until spring to see the new subs from SI.

My room handles the subs well. With room gain, these aren't turned up very high at all. But my bed still vibrates well enough to put me into the movie very well. Output is great. I have a couple pictures on the wall that make zero noise. No doors are rattling at all. I have a $10 plastic headphone stand with $20 monoprice over ear headphones that haven't even moved. It sits on my entertainment center less than a foot from sub number 2. The bass can be heard outside the room pretty well, nothing obstructive, but noticeable.

I'm currently running my inuke at 70% and receiver at +2 dB. They sound amazing to say the least. I don't know how I'm able to get hit in the chest, and have no neighbor phone calls or door knocks when I play music. I'm not sure how it is, but I feel hardly any vibrations when I place my hand on the wall at -10 dB master volume (average listening volume) even at huge peaks in a certain sweet spot in the room for LFE (no EQ).

It was about a month or so between sending back the SVS SB-2000s I demod but after not being satisfied for the money it cost, I sent them back after a couple weeks and began asking this forum for Ultimax advice. I believe I posted a link on the first page (2nd half of it) of a thread I started where I asked about cost, supplies, and performance of the UM-15 build. I was convinced to go with 18s. SQ is similar between the SB-2000s, but performance is incomparable. I love these subs. My bass upgraditis has gone into a recession. All for about the same price as SB-2000s.

EDIT: I also don't like the black ash vinyl wrap either. I don't like it on any speakers honestly. So the 2 coats of DuraTex is better also, IMO

Last edited by bgtighe23; 11-21-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #65 of 81 Old 11-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Red face

Quote:
Whenever I get around to building my UM18-22's you will be first on my call list for a demo I am sure they will not even come close to your current set up though, I am still in shock over it!

Sean
eng-399 likes this.
post #66 of 81 Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
You did a great job on your build! Have you had a chance to eq your subs yet? I think that you know Randy, do you live by him. I tuned his theater a few months ago. I am out in Katy if you need help with anything.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #67 of 81 Old 11-24-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the last gtg meet I took a picture of both of my surge protectors when playing a demo of underworld awakening. The Avr was at +1 and this is what they were pulling. I have 2-6,000 inukes and 1-3,000 inuke and the rest of my gear Avr , 7 channel amp , bluray player all hooked up to both surge protectors.

I used to have my amps on my power conditioners/surge protectors until I realized how much of a bottle neck they were. My amps would go into protect mode on ULF scenes. Removed the amps for them and issue went away. If you are having that issue, or you come across it, that is what I would look at first. Really, it was the 5hz content to would do it.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #68 of 81 Old 11-24-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
You did a great job on your build! Have you had a chance to eq your subs yet? I think that you know Randy, do you live by him. I tuned his theater a few months ago. I am out in Katy if you need help with anything.
Thank you! You are more than welcome to check things out if you are ever on this side of town. I have only run Audyssey. I got Audyssey to set the subs at -8dB, which I quickly bumped up by SEVERAL dB. This isn't much of a theater at all to be honest...

Yes, I suppose I know him, but it was actually to just sell him my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus which he stopped by to pick-up for a friend who lived up north. I believe that was the beginning of this year sometime. The owner got a killer deal haha.

We shouldn't be anymore than 1 hour from each other, depending on traffic. If you're in Katy, the distance should probably be about the same. I was going to attend that Houston G2G, but I thought the "application" process was a little overboard. It ended up being cancelled anyway.

Thank you for offering your help. That really means a lot!

post #69 of 81 Old 11-24-2015, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I finally got a free weekend to nearly complete my dual Ultimax 18 build. A quick big shout out the the community to convincing me to go with 18s instead of 15s Ya'll are doing your job well!

The bundle was purchased from Parts Express, so I decided to go with the UM-18s instead of the Stereo Integrity HT18s. I also purchased them because of the bundled price and driver performance/sexiness.

These subs will be powered with a single iNuke 3000DSP with the budget to simply add a 2nd if needed. I decided on the 3000DSP instead of the 6000DSP because these will be going into a 12x12x8 bedroom where room gain is a huge bonus for these monster subs. Although I could have purchased the 6000DSP and called it quits, two 3000DSPs gives me an option for quads in the far future (maybe I'm just trying to justify a mistake, not sure but I'm hoping the just-under 600 watt/sub will be suitable).

My progress so far is having both cabinets assembled, while one is currently still on clamps. I let the first cabinet sit for a total of 5 hours with 5 clamps and some added top weight. The same goes for the 2nd cabinet.

I did have to go and grab some wood filler and a needle to fill a couple small gaps. I'm not sure if this was an operator error, or a slight warp in the MDF, but a couple corners would NOT line up perfectly on the first cabinet. A little extra sanding, but nothing handicapping or compromising the cabinet. The 2nd cabinet went almost 1000% perfect.

The finish will be a DuraTex finish, roller grade. Nothing super fancy, but it was a simple black finish that blends in well. I was really thinking of something to make those large drivers pop, but I also wanted the subs to fit in with the rest if the furniture, etc. So I think the DuraTex will be fine.

Tomorrow I will sand off the extra glue, calk the cabinets with silicone, drill holes to mount the SpeakOn connectors, fill the cabinets with poly fill, and drop the driver in for a test fire. Once all goes well, the cabinets will be painted, and the drivers will become officially mounted with a T-Nut kit from Parts Express.

Thanks everyone for helping with all the questions. It's not done yet, but I'm glad I decided to go the DIY route to maximize the price/performance ratio. I'm really hoping these subs will be money well spent.

I do have a couple questions: Thanks LDT02
On your cabinet assembly did you consider using glue and a brad nailer then lining all the interior seams with PL adhesive?
post #70 of 81 Old 11-25-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! You are more than welcome to check things out if you are ever on this side of town. I have only run Audyssey. I got Audyssey to set the subs at -8dB, which I quickly bumped up by SEVERAL dB. This isn't much of a theater at all to be honest...

Yes, I suppose I know him, but it was actually to just sell him my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus which he stopped by to pick-up for a friend who lived up north. I believe that was the beginning of this year sometime. The owner got a killer deal haha.

We shouldn't be anymore than 1 hour from each other, depending on traffic. If you're in Katy, the distance should probably be about the same. I was going to attend that Houston G2G, but I thought the "application" process was a little overboard. It ended up being cancelled anyway.

Thank you for offering your help. That really means a lot!
I agree about that GTG! That was ridiculous! There was some talk outside of the forums about how stupid it was to go through all of that, and then the meet gets cancelled! I would have been pissed giving up my address and a copy of my drivers license and then not even been able to go. Oh well....

I returned a PM to you.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #71 of 81 Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree about that GTG! That was ridiculous! There was some talk outside of the forums about how stupid it was to go through all of that, and then the meet gets cancelled! I would have been pissed giving up my address and a copy of my drivers license and then not even been able to go. Oh well....

I returned a PM to you.
I believe I'm still subscribed to both Houston G2G threads. It's one thing to cancel a meet and reschedule to next weekend or something, but I think it really crossed some lines not rescheduling it at all.

Thanks.

post #72 of 81 Old 11-25-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY27 View Post
On your cabinet assembly did you consider using glue and a brad nailer then lining all the interior seams with PL adhesive?
I never did after reading and seeing pictures of others who ran the Flat Pack route like I did.

I used Titebond II on every surface edge I could. If you note some of the rotated pics of the inside cabinet, the glue did a great job of coming into the cabinet creating a nice seal and not running down the side puddling up at the bottom. I purchase Silicone, but never used it.

I put a nice line of glue down each seam, and smoothed it out with my finger one panel at a time until the cabinet was assembled (dry fit first, of course) and clamped it down (not the 2nd front baffle). I will advice a minimum of 6 clamps per cab and some scrap wood to cover as much clamping surface as possible. I used lots of top weight as well - probably close to 100lbs. (40lb. bag of pool salt, and one of the UM-18s still in box, plus some extra items which weight about around 20lbs).

Also, once the cab is put together with the glue, put the clamps on one at a time with a snug amount of pressure. Wait until all clamps are on and then tighten them down, even then, don't put all your effort into mushing these clamps on as tight as you can.

I was really stressed ordering these that I wouldn't be able to complete these or it would be too difficult. I was way wrong. These are so easy to accomplish. They just take time - lots of drying time.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. This is a community forum where people are here to help because they want too. I had a thread just for asking questions about the build because I was getting a little uneasy about starting the build.

Check and double check your supplies, and supply list. You don't want to get these 90% assembled, and realize you forgot to get disconnects (or solder) and can't hook up your SpeakOns.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 11-25-2015 at 09:35 AM.
post #73 of 81 Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Quote:
I believe I'm still subscribed to both Houston G2G threads. It's one thing to cancel a meet and reschedule to next weekend or something, but I think it really crossed some lines not rescheduling it at all.

Thanks.

Drivers license to attend a GTG I'm I reading this right? What was that for security or something... I'm not sure I would give anyone that info that's to much with your drivers license number on it. All I did which might sound strange but I checked out threads started by the user and some post the members made for back ground.
post #74 of 81 Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks to bgtighe23 for the informative thread, as I am building the exact same project. Have just finished assembling the cabinets, and will be starting the finishing work next week, also with a Duratex finish. Figured I would post the pics of the box assemblies for others to reference.

I had a dozen 24" clamps and a dozen Quik Grips on hand from previous projects, so used as many as possible for each step. Added extra BB plywood blocks behind the driver mounting area, so I can use screws instead of t-nut (yes, been there done that, and had one seize on me). Also will be adding four more similar blocks on the bottom, so that I can install threaded inserts for feet.

Didn't use a brad nailer either, even though I have a nice Paslode for the job. I plan on rolling the edges some and didn't want to hit any nail heads. Just waited 24 hours between each assembly step, and it worked out fine.

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/4807/oTeyFH.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img907/9610/4AuGoj.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/1852/q9VgYB.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/2779/9L9r5r.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/6476/hyhBhz.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/9901/aR6sPm.jpg

I will be using Cardas Patented speaker binding posts instead of Speakons, as I already have some on hand, and the speaker wire I use is 12/4 (hard to install in a speakon). And use simple spade connectors for the wire termination.

BTW, if I had one thing to complain about with these kits, it is the absence of a premade grill kit to fit. I just added some PE magnetic grills to my old smaller subs in the music system and it was a breeze. Haven't decided yet whether I will attempt to build some grills from scratch for the UMs, as the drivers looks pretty nice in the nude.

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/7997/6ttduY.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/579/j0sMEX.jpg

One other word of warning. On the above 12" subs, I had mounted the drivers directly on the Duratex coated boxes. Just recently I tried to remove the drivers, and it was a no go, they are stuck in place. So for this new project, I will be using some foam weatherstripping in between, if for nothing else, future access.

Last edited by jkhome; 11-26-2015 at 07:42 AM.
post #75 of 81 Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^ (post 74)

Talk about some clamp porn!

I used a t-nut kit on one cab and hex screws on another. I HATED using the t-nuts, personally. I won't be using those again.

post #76 of 81 Old 11-28-2015, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
^ (post 74)

Talk about some clamp porn!

I used a t-nut kit on one cab and hex screws on another. I HATED using the t-nuts, personally. I won't be using those again.

What issue did you have using the t-nuts?
post #77 of 81 Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY27 View Post
What issue did you have using the t-nuts?
They are difficult to use unless you have the bolts and t-nuts aligned perfectly for each of the 8-holes on the driver.

I don't want to talk about it other than that
lovinthehd likes this.

post #78 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just watched a few movies and some great music on my new iNuke 6000DSP. I just upgraded from the 3000DSP and I don't ever plan on looking back!

I also purchased these new media/audio/component towers/stands so I can now have a tower center channel
The box to the left is some panels from ATS Acoustics. Still waiting on my 242 panels from GIK.

I was thinking about grabbing either the new Fluance Signature series speakers or the EmpTek R55Ti for the front 3 (tower) but after an unfortunate, phone call with Fluance, they won't/can't sell me a tower as a single. The new line in Walnut (Fluance) or the Red Burl from RBH would look great against the new media towers/stands and against the black acoustic panels on the wall...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 4.30.18 PM.png
Views:	444
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	1167634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 4.32.00 PM.png
Views:	434
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	1167642  

post #79 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I read all the threads on here everyday and wonder how much more bass I would have if I didn't have to set the limiter on my amps and just feed the subs full power.

Little math will get you real close!
post #80 of 81 Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You don't want a center channel speaker that's not a tower? Go with the RBH's in my opinion. I have the R55Ti's and the R56Ci center in my living room. They play clear, loud, and have not disappointed me ever and especially the price they are. If you want a demo. let me know.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #81 of 81 Old 01-08-2016, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't want a center channel speaker that's not a tower? Go with the RBH's in my opinion. I have the R55Ti's and the R56Ci center in my living room. They play clear, loud, and have not disappointed me ever and especially the price they are. If you want a demo. let me know.
I don't really mind it either way. But the entertainment center is a little too long, and the new shelves weren't too expensive. I can then have more flexibility (room) with everything up front because the shelves take up much less width. I mean, if I don't like it, I can just put it all back

The only issue I've had with my center channel is I sometimes hear static during some dialogue. If the center channel content is loud, I don't really notice it, but if it's soft talking, I hear lots of static. Its like an airy whispy sound that feels like it's behind the tweeter that flows along with the content. I can't figure that part out. I don't notice it at all when listening to music. I'm not sure if this is a speaker power handling issue, a receiver/interference issue, or something else.

The R55Tis are on my short list. I was also going to demo the new Fluance Signature series towers (because of the free return shipping), but they won't yet sell them in singles for some reason. I gave them a call yesterday.

But as far as fit and finish, all things point to R55Tis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page