The V.B.S.S. DIY subwoofer design thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 812Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1494 Old 05-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Member
 
bejoykr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Half way through building dual VBSS's and got a question - whats the right way to add front baffles?

Should I add the 3/4 to the cabinet first and then glue on the 1/2?
or
Glue up the 3/4 and 1/2 outside and then add it to the cabinet?
bejoykr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1494 Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
looks like gain is set to 0.

I have been playing with it and this is all relatively new to me. In terms of EB levels and gain etc so I'll ask some stupid questions.

I obviously dont want the output level to rise and clip/light the red LED correct?
The red LED up front can indicate 2 things - Clipping, or the limiter being engaged. Use the software to see if you are clipping. And if you are, if it is just for occasional, brief periods that's still OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran
How robust are the 460 subs? It says 500 rms, so I assume I can essentially never damage or overdrive them with my bridged 1000dsp which should be doing about 375 rms to each.
An nu1000 won't provide enough power to damage your 2 PA460s. Are you using the settings mtg90 provided?
smcmillan2 is online now  
post #1443 of 1494 Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoykr View Post
Half way through building dual VBSS's and got a question - whats the right way to add front baffles?

Should I add the 3/4 to the cabinet first and then glue on the 1/2?
or
Glue up the 3/4 and 1/2 outside and then add it to the cabinet?
I always assemble the cabinet, cut the outer baffle ~1" over, cut the driver hole in the outer baffle and glue it to the box, then flush trim it to the box. Having the driver temporarily mounted helps with alignment of the outer baffle while gluing.
smcmillan2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 1494 Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Member
 
bejoykr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I always assemble the cabinet, cut the outer baffle ~1" over, cut the driver hole in the outer baffle and glue it to the box, then flush trim it to the box. Having the driver temporarily mounted helps with alignment of the outer baffle while gluing.
Thanks. I've already cut the baffles, but will follow you as it may be easier to align.
bejoykr is offline  
post #1445 of 1494 Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Member
 
bejoykr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
More questions :-)

What size screws should be used to mount the speakers? And do I need to add additional blocks to mount PA460 behind the MDF?

Any advice on the fancy screws like the socket head ones or use just drywall ones? (Got a pack of PE 3/4 screws from an old project)
bejoykr is offline  
post #1446 of 1494 Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoykr View Post
More questions :-)

What size screws should be used to mount the speakers? And do I need to add additional blocks to mount PA460 behind the MDF?

Any advice on the fancy screws like the socket head ones or use just drywall ones? (Got a pack of PE 3/4 screws from an old project)
I used drywall screws into just 3/4" MDF for mine and they are holding just fine. You'll want to pre-drill the holes or the MDF may crumble. If you have any problems, you can simply rotate the driver a few degrees and try again.
kagtha likes this.
dorri732 is offline  
post #1447 of 1494 Old 05-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hudsonville, MI
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I also used drywall screws into the MDF. No worries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Eosone RSF 600 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS - 2 @ VBSS End Tables
DIY 110" AT Screen
jevchance is offline  
post #1448 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone please point me to the posting of the V.B.S.S that had a very narrow dimension for laying on its' side under the screen? I saw it posted last week and I can't seem to find it. The post had pictures as well as dimensions and the CAD images as well from what looked to be done in sketchup.
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1449 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
Can someone please point me to the posting of the V.B.S.S that had a very narrow dimension for laying on its' side under the screen? I saw it posted last week and I can't seem to find it. The post had pictures as well as dimensions and the CAD images as well from what looked to be done in sketchup.
Was it in my pole barn theater build? If so look in my signature.
tjambro is offline  
post #1450 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Member
 
mfagains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
Ok guys I got mine up and running but have some issues

1000dsp
Bridge mode so I'm using a 4 pole speakon, split to two vbss using 2 pole connectors
The lfe out from my onkyo rz830 is going to input A via rca to ts

I downloaded the firmware from the initial post and verified and changed anything that didnt match up. After all its firmware for the 3000. I used the .txt to ensure all settings are correct for the 1000dsp amp.

Everything is working, but barely. I have the gain knob on the inuke maxed, I have the lfe channel set to +10 on my onkyo rz830.

I am barely getting bass, nothing impressive at all.

I saw a light flicker once on the side of the knob on the inuke, I assume they should light up like a Christmas tree to show a bouncing gain response.

Help !

Thanks
How did you wire the NL4 to NL2? This may be part if your issue...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
mfagains is offline  
post #1451 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
Was it in my pole barn theater build? If so look in my signature.
yours is not the post Iwas looking for but do you have more details on the enclosure design?
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1452 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I forgot my signature doesn't work in tapatalk. Hopeful it does on mobile avs. This was a design modification by @LTD02 . It is the same basic vbss box but John made it narrower so that I could integrate it more easily into my riser for nearfield mid bass.

Heres the link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=57956776
tjambro is offline  
post #1453 of 1494 Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Member
 
IP11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
Can someone please point me to the posting of the V.B.S.S that had a very narrow dimension for laying on its' side under the screen? I saw it posted last week and I can't seem to find it. The post had pictures as well as dimensions and the CAD images as well from what looked to be done in sketchup.
Sorry I can't link on mobile easily but is this it?

Subwoofer Rut - Help! Polk DSW 660 Pro vs DIY
Keith Ferguson likes this.
IP11 is offline  
post #1454 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
I forgot my signature doesn't work in tapatalk. Hopeful it does on mobile avs. This was a design modification by @LTD02 . It is the same basic vbss box but John made it narrower so that I could integrate it more easily into my riser for nearfield mid bass.

Heres the link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=57956776
BINGO! thank you so much, I will be building a few of these for sure.......perfect fit for my theater.
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1455 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IP11 View Post
Sorry I can't link on mobile easily but is this it?

Subwoofer Rut - Help! Polk DSW 660 Pro vs DIY
This was not it but thank you, this is another very good option for me.
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1456 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
I forgot my signature doesn't work in tapatalk. Hopeful it does on mobile avs. This was a design modification by @LTD02 . It is the same basic vbss box but John made it narrower so that I could integrate it more easily into my riser for nearfield mid bass.

Heres the link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=57956776
What is the port tune per the given dimensions? and did John say it needed to be stuffed, if so how much?
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1457 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
BINGO! thank you so much, I will be building a few of these for sure.......perfect fit for my theater.
Don't thank me thank John @LTD02 he took the time to design it for me, it's the least I could do to share it. Hope it works out for you!
LTD02 and Keith Ferguson like this.
tjambro is offline  
post #1458 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
What is the port tune per the given dimensions? and did John say it needed to be stuffed, if so how much?
Maybe John will chime in but I requested the same volume box and tune as the original so I'm guessing it's the same as the original he designed for the original VBSS.
tjambro is offline  
post #1459 of 1494 Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
Maybe John will chime in but I requested the same volume box and tune as the original so I'm guessing it's the same as the original he designed for the original VBSS.
Dummy me...I forgot the vbss could be built with multiple tunes. Doh! I requested the 31hz tune as this will be for my nearfield midbass needs.
tjambro is offline  
post #1460 of 1494 Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@LTD02
do you happen to remember this enclosure and the details about the design specs?
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1461 of 1494 Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
@LTD02

do you happen to remember this enclosure and the details about the design specs?
It's based on the original VBSS by mtg90. It's the first post of this thread. Same volume with 31Hz tune
tjambro is offline  
post #1462 of 1494 Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I finally finished my near-field Contemporary VBSS build!!



I just need a little help setting up PEQ in NX Edit. I cannot get REW results anywhere close to mtg90s outdoor response below. Maybe this is normal?


My response baseline still has issues after moving the VBSS around as much as possible, but I was able to get it somewhat flat by losing
a few overall db. (It seems that the sofa is what is causing the 50hz dip)

Baseline in Red - PEQ in blue (VBSSs w/1099s)

(LFE crossed @ 80hz, no treble, bass, bass boost, etc on Onkyo 40 Volume AVR, VBSS tune is 20hz by mtg90 on channel A)

I was going to put a low shelf +6db but am afraid that would kill my drivers (xmax)
So instead I used a +10 PEQ @23hz VS a High Shelf @ 30hz to lower 10 Db above 30hz. Was this the right way to do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contemporary-VBSS.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2576714   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtg90-outside-response.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2576716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-BaselineVSPEQinBLUE.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2576718   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-NXEdit-PEQsettings.PNG
Views:	234
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	2576720  

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.

Last edited by kagtha; 06-06-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: images did not come through
kagtha is offline  
post #1463 of 1494 Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post
It's based on the original VBSS by mtg90. It's the first post of this thread. Same volume with 31Hz tune
what did you do for bracing? and did you double the front baffle?
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1464 of 1494 Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
tjambro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
what did you do for bracing? and did you double the front baffle?

I went with some crude looking window bracing that you can see on my build thread and only a single layer baffle but I did add blocks under the driver so the t-nuts had more to bite into and I will flush mount the driver. Since this isn't a functioning unit yet, maybe you shouldn't take my advice but I think it will be ok.
vn800art likes this.
tjambro is offline  
post #1465 of 1494 Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Voltage Limit

If I am running 2 vbss's off of one channel of a 3000dsp do I double the voltage limit? so 84Vp X2 = 168Vp

-31Hz tuning
Configuration:

Bi-Amp1,
limiter=84Vp, hold=20ms, release=20ms

Filter/crossover:
Highpass 25hz Butterworth 18dB
Lowpass 300hz Butterworth 12dB

DEQ:
Band 1
Gain 6dB, 28hz, Q=1.00, type BP, Threshold -27dB, attack 5ms, release 20ms, ratio 1:10
Keith Ferguson is offline  
post #1466 of 1494 Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
No, doubling the voltage is only used when running sets of series wired pairs off the NU6000 or NX6000.
Keith Ferguson likes this.
mtg90 is offline  
post #1467 of 1494 Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
I finally finished my near-field Contemporary VBSS build!!

I just need a little help setting up PEQ in NX Edit. I cannot get REW results anywhere close to mtg90s outdoor response below. Maybe this is normal?


My response baseline still has issues after moving the VBSS around as much as possible, but I was able to get it somewhat flat by losing
a few overall db. (It seems that the sofa is what is causing the 50hz dip)

Baseline in Red - PEQ in blue (VBSSs w/1099s)

(LFE crossed @ 80hz, no treble, bass, bass boost, etc on Onkyo 40 Volume AVR, VBSS tune is 20hz by mtg90 on channel A)

I was going to put a low shelf +6db but am afraid that would kill my drivers (xmax)
So instead I used a +10 PEQ @23hz VS a High Shelf @ 30hz to lower 10 Db above 30hz. Was this the right way to do it?
The in room response will not look like the outdoor measurement. Every room will influence the response of the subwoofer differently and the EQ settings in the VBSS file only provide minor response shaping and largely just correct for the low frequency rolloff the Driver/enclosure normally present. Once placed in room those settings can be changed if it will help flatten the response.

Your blue EQ'ed response does not look too bad.
kagtha likes this.
mtg90 is offline  
post #1468 of 1494 Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
The in room response will not look like the outdoor measurement. Every room will influence the response of the subwoofer differently and the EQ settings in the VBSS file only provide minor response shaping and largely just correct for the low frequency rolloff the Driver/enclosure normally present. Once placed in room those settings can be changed if it will help flatten the response.

Your blue EQ'ed response does not look too bad.
Thank you so much for responding sir. It sounds like I was headed down the right path.

I just purchased a Denon with MultEQ and wow does it make life easier from direct hdmi from rew laptop to the Audyssey room corrections. (It is simply amazing what advanced DSPs in the new AVRs can do compared to the old Analog (non HDMI, no Room Corrections) AVRs.

I can't wait to see what The Audyssey DSP plots out like because it sounds so smoooooth. Respectable.
jamiebosco likes this.

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
kagtha is offline  
post #1469 of 1494 Old 06-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Craig S King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Craig S King is online now  
post #1470 of 1494 Old 07-01-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
soho54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since this thread has been around for a good while now, how are all the horizontally oriented drivers holding up in these end table builds?

This reminds me to go test out my old RS HiFi 15s. 13 years pointed at the ground. I haven't fired them up in about five years, so it could be interesting...
soho54 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off