Convert active sub (dead amp) to passive sub - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Convert active sub (dead amp) to passive sub

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old Klipsch RSW-10D. A meter tells me the amp is getting power. But nothing happens. So I don't believe it's the power supply.

Regardless. Without buying repair costs, I'm exploring connecting an external amp.

This model sub has the active driver plus the passive driver, that's why I can't just plug in a new plate amp - the existing amp sits on the completely enclosed bottom of the sub; the power plug is on the back of the sub, with wiring inside the sub to the plate amp on the bottom.

So, with my incredibly limited knowledge, it seems like one hurdle will be routing the speaker wires to the outside of the enclosure.

So I'm looking for guidance. Do I drill a hole in the MDF, route the wires through, and seal the hole with, I don't know, silicone or something like that?
Or I could modify the plate that holds the power plug: remove the plug or fuse for example, (I could even drill a hole through that plate I suppose), route the wires through that, and then seal with something?

Again, I thank you for any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonrocks View Post
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old Klipsch RSW-10D. A meter tells me the amp is getting power. But nothing happens. So I don't believe it's the power supply.

Regardless. Without buying repair costs, I'm exploring connecting an external amp.

This model sub has the active driver plus the passive driver, that's why I can't just plug in a new plate amp - the existing amp sits on the completely enclosed bottom of the sub; the power plug is on the back of the sub, with wiring inside the sub to the plate amp on the bottom.

So, with my incredibly limited knowledge, it seems like one hurdle will be routing the speaker wires to the outside of the enclosure.

So I'm looking for guidance. Do I drill a hole in the MDF, route the wires through, and seal the hole with, I don't know, silicone or something like that?
Or I could modify the plate that holds the power plug: remove the plug or fuse for example, (I could even drill a hole through that plate I suppose), route the wires through that, and then seal with something?

Again, I thank you for any guidance.
Before we get into the details on how to wire it up, what size amp was the stock amp and what size plate amp were you thinking about? Depending on the cost to replace the amp it might make more sense to buy a completely new sub instead...

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #3 of 4 Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 116
It was a 500w RMS amp with EQ capabilities. One 10" driver and one 10" passive radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-21-2015, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
Before we get into the details on how to wire it up, what size amp was the stock amp and what size plate amp were you thinking about? Depending on the cost to replace the amp it might make more sense to buy a completely new sub instead...
Yes, the question is, how much money do I want to sink into it. Thank you for that feedback.

I already did buy a new one, a Hsu Research 15 inch sub. Very happy with it.

So my thinking is, if I can buy a used or low-priced 1000 watt amp - I've seen mentioned in these forums something such as Behringer iNuke, ~$150 - $200 - I could give myself a little project, learn a little, and end up with a functional subwoofer along the way.

As the other poster noted, it is a 500 watt amp in the original subwoofer.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page