DIY sub behind acoustic screen/wall help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DIY sub behind acoustic screen/wall help

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been brought up a bunch but I haven't found a lot of info on it. I would like to build a sub to go behind an acoustically transparent projector screen. The wall that the screen is on backs up to my utility room and the sub can be placed behind the wall. I'm currently in the building stage and the wall is framed but not drywalled. I'm trying to figure out what the preferred wall construction behind the acoustic screen would be (allowing for a sub). I'm thinking a full Marty but I'm open to suggestions. Should I leave the wall open on the bottom half (where the Marty would sit, and go with some type of acoustic material? I'm a little lost as to what a good way to proceed is. Also, for reference my equipment is Definitive Technology RLS ii's for the front left/right, a UIW 75 center, RSSii's for the surrounds, and I think I'm going to get some tears (maybe DefTech 5.5's). Thanks, any guideance or help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking through past threads trying to find anyone who has built a screen wall on an interior wall that seperates rooms and haven't found anything. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm not sure if I should drywall the wall or leave it with just studs and maybe black acoustically invisible fabric? Thanks
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2016, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my future screen location. (Studded wall behind the kid's mini trampoline). It backs up to my utility room and I'm not sure the best way to prep and finish the wall. Like I mentioned in my original post I was thinking of a Marty sub behind the screen wall since I have so much room back there (after I clean out all the stored junk). Should I install drywall? Can I just leave the wall studded, and install black acoustic material over the bare studs? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it with my floor plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1171482  

Last edited by rsmag9; 01-08-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...reen-wall.html

This thread is a wealth of knowledge/experience.. sounds like you could get some ideas and/or at least a direction to go in from it.. I have it saved for future reference myself - good luck.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...reen-wall.html

This thread is a wealth of knowledge/experience.. sounds like you could get some ideas and/or at least a direction to go in from it.. I have it saved for future reference myself - good luck.
Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Here's my screen/baffle wall with 2x18 on each side. The screen hangs in front of this shrouded by panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater 048.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	1172906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page