70Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
selfish

Have you guys ever noticed forum members asking numerous question on build threads and getting a lot of help but when you ask this same person a question its like screw you. People crack me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
Have you guys ever noticed forum members asking numerous question on build threads and getting a lot of help but when you ask this same person a question its like screw you. People crack me up.
I hear ya. If someone "gets" from the forum, they should also be willing to give.

At the same time though, if the person being asked something, isn't fairly confident in their answer, than I think it's probably better to remain silent, rather than giving out bad info.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Not sure what this thread is about. People have lives and other variables in their life that cause people to act certain ways. BUT most here are always willing to help. And most do. I belong to a LOT of forums and always enjoy adding what I can and learning most of the time. BUT at times I just want to lay into some people that cant even look a few threads down and see that the same questions and threads have just been asked.

SO I ask easily see how some dont want to bother answering some questions when they have answered it a thousand times already. SO as I said life is full of variables but most here are willing to help. Just be patient and you will have your answers.
Fatshaft and pmd918 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Do you have a specific example? You say forum members so you must have seen this numerous times.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Slippery Slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post
Do you have a specific example? You say forum members so you must have seen this numerous times.
Let's not go calling out specific people or examples. That is not what we're here for. Maybe I've been fortunate, because I haven't noticed this.

Everyone I've ever reached out to with a question has been open and forthcoming. I try to do the same, when it's a topic I have experience with. I owe this forum more than I can give back, just based on the vast knowledge I've gleaned from others' experiences, and their willingness to share them.

I apologize for any negativity the OP has had to deal with. This is NOT what this forum is about, and if you can look past the downbringers, you will find many truly caring, helpful people here, willing to share the benefit of what they've gone through, and learned, the hard way, so that others don't have to.

All the best to you and yours,
Joseph
Fatshaft, Jonas2, wvu80 and 3 others like this.

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
post #6 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Maybe they just dont have an answer? I have learned a lot on here and try to share what I have learned but there is WAY more that I dont know. Some people are terrified to admit they dont know something,

And if you think about it, maybe the person asking a ton of questions isn't the best person to get help from? And on the flip side, if that same person is not able to help us maybe we shouldnt be so surprised and/or offended?
mesasone likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #7 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
And at the other end there's some people that go out of their way to reply and the detail in their replies are out of this world!
EarlK, lz7j, Jonas2 and 2 others like this.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #8 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
And at the other end there's some people that go out of their way to reply and the detail in their replies are out of this world!
Just sucks when you have to look up on google everything they said because it went over your head. lol.
chadsmith013, EarlK, bmcn and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
I've had it go the other way. People get mad when I won't write them a novel on how to test a speaker or design a sub or what ever. I try to help as much as possible, but there's a finite limit to my time and this forum platform. Hard to explain something 5 times and then have the person mad at you cause you won't do it again, in more detail
post #10 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I've had it go the other way. People get mad when I won't write them a novel on how to test a speaker or design a sub or what ever. I try to help as much as possible, but there's a finite limit to my time and this forum platform. Hard to explain something 5 times and then have the person mad at you cause you won't do it again, in more detail
Just send this to them: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-pl...b_4866711.html
Shadowed likes this.
post #11 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
I am somewhat of a new user here, so here is my perspective from someone who has not contributed a lot. When it came time to make changes to my theater, I was looking for advice from people who are more involved in the hobby/industry. I got what I needed and in return I posted my build progress and even answered a few questions for others. But if I had just come to ask a question about a receiver or a new sub and then bought what was recommended and all was well, why would I suddenly want to make this my long term hobby and dwell on the forums to answer questions? And even if I did, what would make anyone think I have something to contribute? New users are typically those with no knowledge who would like to get advice without having to walk into a home theater retailer and be pressured with the hard sell.

Now, that being said, if I do have the time to lurk and learn more and answer questions, I will. On the other hand, one thing I have learned about all forums is the same questions get asked over and over, and frankly it gets really boring answering the same exact question when the user should just be able to either browse the first few pages of a section or just use the search to find what they are looking for.

So while I may know the answer to a simple question, I might not have time to answer it, may not feel like I am the most qualified to answer it, or maybe it has been answered a thousand times already, most likely on that same page!

It would be great if all new users would spend the time to study up and then take the time to answer questions for others, but that's a bit unrealistic to ask of everyone..
post #12 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This behaviour extends far beyond this forum. It's life. I work with a few of them. Maybe selfish, maybe just a lack of confidence. Maybe they just don't want to be held accountable. Whatever it is, there's no changing it. Time shows who the real pros are.
EarlK likes this.
post #13 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 113
We have all seen and answered the SAME questions over and over again. I'll bet there are 1,000's of duplicate questions asked the same or slightly different. That may cause some people not to answer. I do a search first because that answers many questions in threads that already exist. It only takes a sec. to search, reading through the threads may take a while. I am also guilty of asking the same question others commented on when I was "brand new" with zero knowledge and was hoping for an in-depth explanation or reason why.... Of course I made it way more complicated in my mind, now building subs and speakers are easy. How many questions are asked about UM-18, SI -18 with Inuke 3000 & 6000? Many, Many repeats.

This example may be true in other threads as well. ie How to build a false wall or acoustic panels. etc, etc. Perhaps rephrasing the question would help get an answer. Maybe stating you understand the basics, ie How to glue a flat pack together, but want to know step by step how to solder a crossover and why this cap is here and not there. Again, just an example which would help me because I still don't understand WHY and HOW. For me that's what I "want" to know. I can solder a xo with a pcb board but if it were just pieces I would be in trouble. I believe I was taught many years ago their are 3 ways of learning; Visual, Hands-on, Reading. Most people fit 2 of those categories but not the 3rd.

My advice would be to search for your question 1st. You will learn a ton of info. 2nd. Ask a detailed question, don't be vague because that leads to vague answers. 3rd. People don't always understand what YOU wrote. Miscommunication happens a lot with texts and forum posts. Try not to get upset, have someone else (family member) read your question and see it makes sense to them.

Marantz 7702mk2, Panasonic 8000 w/ 130" AT Screen HTPC w/60 tb
DIY QSC SC-2150 L,C,R (10) QSC SR-8101 sides, rears & atmos/dst-x
DIY (4) Fusion Tempest, 88 Special
DIY (6) JBL cx12" UM-15", SI-18" subs, BFM Tuba HT, Dayton MKIII 15", (2) PA460 mbm
post #14 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Here is something interesting. I was having some problems on a different forum because I owned B&W diamond speakers with Mcintosh amps. (yep, I must be a snob) however on a forum that supports hi-end gear any person with less than $20k was ignored or informed to purchase better gear. It really does go both ways.

Anyways...
Before locating this forum I would ask questions about DIY or different speaker brands and equipment. I would ask how to build a theater or setup subs and speakers, etc. I would get help about 30% of the time.
Now for the kicker..... My social experiment.
I created a NEW account as a Female. I asked the same questions just a bit different and received many comments from members 100% of my questions received answers.
My explanation: If I am a male I should have some knowledge or background before attempting a theater build or DIY. However if I am a Female its ok to have zero knowledge, perhaps its expected.

How strange is that.

NO, I have not created a female acct. on this site. I was just curious how if those members that didn't have the time or replied with cocky comments would do the same to a female.
EarlK likes this.

DIY (6) JBL cx12" UM-15", SI-18" subs, BFM Tuba HT, Dayton MKIII 15", (2) PA460 mbm
post #15 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Frankly, I have noticed that the dumber (or rather un-educated to be PC) someone sounds when asking, the more help they get.
post #16 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@rlhaudio

How do you know we arent all women?!!

actually, we just act like it from time to time. ooooooooooooo
mesasone, Jonas2, NWCgrad and 2 others like this.

FOR SALE:
post #17 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
@rlhaudio

How do you know we arent all women?!!

actually, we just act like it from time to time. ooooooooooooo
It was comical how differently I was treated. Funny thing was I said I owned Wilson Sasha's with Krell amps. That's about the same cost as B&W with Mac amps. As a Male I was stuck up but as a Female I needed help. lol You wouldn't believe the number of PM I received for adds to facebook. ROFLMAO, Were not ALL pigs....

post #18 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
I hear ya. If someone "gets" from the forum, they should also be willing to give.

Likewise, plenty of people here contribute A LOT and yet get nothing in return.

Goes both ways around here.
mesasone, bmcn and EarlK like this.
post #19 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
If I am a male I should have some knowledge or background before attempting a theater build or DIY. However if I am a Female its ok to have zero knowledge, perhaps its expected.
How strange is that.
Freud would say it's not strange, it's biological evolution. Males are man's competition, and attracting females is the primary goal; and so they make their competition look stupid, weak and broke while also trying to impress women with their knowledge and expensive possessions.
Anyone with half a brain can see right through the game, but I'm constantly surprised by both gender's lack of this understanding...
Perhaps it's because 50% of humans have an IQ below 100. Which is basically: full-potato

Nobody wants to eat an onion ring that has already seen 50 hot dogs. So it makes sense why the competition must be eliminated at all costs. LOL!

Quote:
Have you guys ever noticed forum members asking numerous question on build threads and getting a lot of help but when you ask this same person a question its like screw you.
I haven't experienced this, that said... I almost never ask questions.

I'm a rare breed of human, I taught myself advanced DOS and the programming back in the 90's.
No teacher and no books.
Just the command list descriptors, and then reading and reverse engineering other peoples code.
It took me 1 year to get decent at it, but I enjoyed the challenge.
50% of programming is debugging or knowing how to avoid bugs, the other 50% is actually making the machine do something.

I also taught myself AV stuff in a similar way.

I also graduated university without opening the text books, I would play video games in class. All the teachers hated me. All the skeletons in my closet are holding boxes full of hate and contempt. LOL!

I'd say the biggest difference between humans and soul-less computers is that humans can learn new things without being programmed or taught them. (Seems almost impossible, but we do it all the time.)

Where as a soul-less computer cannot; it MUST be pre-programmed and schooled by a teacher (programmer) to understand or accomplish anything, and then it can only do that ONE thing, nothing new EVER.

If humans were computers nothing new would ever be discovered or developed. Even in 2016 we still don't know how we do this, let alone... being able to make an AI that emulates it. We may not ever figure it out, perhaps "souls" can't be "engineered".

If you left 100 computers on an empty earth-like planet for 50 years, in that time it wouldn't have done anything "new" and would still be completely unchanged, only weathered. Where as humans would have mined all the resources dry, and filled the air and sea with garbage and pollution, and would be constantly blowing each other up with drones and bullets, with alcohol, smokes and whores at every corner store.

I'm not sure if computers will ever be as "advanced" as us. LOL LOL LOL
alextr75 likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 01-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #20 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just realized I have never ordered a hotdog with onion rings together. Hmmm

FOR SALE:
post #21 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
Here is something interesting....My social experiment.
I created a NEW account as a Female. I asked the same questions just a bit different and received many comments from members 100% of my questions received answers. ....
There's a story about Tom Grimshaw, co-driving with John Buffum, at a rest stop during the first One Lap of America.

Grimshaw was valued as a co-driver because he had the "ability to add and subtract while perched on the hump of a racing camel" as he put it, and he was not one to share trade secrets. So you can imagine how shocked the rest of the One Lap competitors were, as he sat at the rest stop explaining all his tricks to a pretty young lady.

When one of the guys asked why Grimshaw wouldn't share with him, the answer was obvious: "You don't have t*ts."

We're all social experiments...

HAve fun,
Frank
EarlK, Jonas2 and lovinthehd like this.
post #22 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
The main problem is, too many people are scared to try ANYTHING without someone holding their hand the entire way through.
What settings should this be...... where should I place my subs...... what amps should I buy etc. Any amount of reading can usually answer 99% of the questions that get asked on a daily basis but people are too lazy to actually look it up.
It just seems like no one is willing to fail anymore. I bet I built 5 subs boxes on my second build that I did all myself, just to get 1 that would work lol

If you are doing a first build on a sub box or something like that, sure ask away, I'm lucky that I have 3 carpenters in my family, so reaching out for help is never a bad idea but nothing pisses me off more than someone asking where they should place their subs.... Like go throw it in the damn corner and try it the FU%^ out! LOL

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #23 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
The main problem is, too many people are scared to try ANYTHING without someone holding their hand the entire way through.
BAM!

I'm kinda glad sometimes though. Nobody will have the balls to use Wayne's midhorn system like I have.

Anyway...

Marty party time!
EarlK and N8DOGG like this.
post #24 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Likewise, plenty of people here contribute A LOT and yet get nothing in return.
Scott, you're in rarefied company here on AVS .. both in the number of your posts and the leadership value you bring in trying new things and approaches. I'm not sure anyone could really give you anything of value in return other than our thanks .. which seems inadequate. I see this same thing on another non-AV site I frequent. I'm sure you get some satisfaction from being 'peer-recognized as a leader in the hobby and it you weren't enjoying it, you'd probably cut back on your time and posts.

But, this may also be an oppt'y for us to suggest to Scott Wilkinson that maybe some kind of more formal recognition is in order .. maybe something like 'contributor of the month' with some process to accept nominations and a small group to make the decisions to keep it from being self-promotion. It doesn't have to be based on the number of posts (as that might just cause people to become 'post-whores') but rather something that would take into account something that has significantly moved the hobby forward; or helped a huge number of people; or whatever. I'd suggest it doesn't even have to have an money attached to it .. just peer recognition .. or maybe like a star in the virtual AVS 'hall of fame'.

Just my $0.02 worth.
EarlK and Shadowed like this.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #25 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 917
I have noticed some people don't bother to do a little groundwork before asking questions.

Some even seem to be demanding as in
Quote:
"Helper#1, I am awaiting your answer"
, I have seen this.

Also, in one week, I saw 6 posts for "best bookshelf for ~$300... 3 of them in were in one day.

Some in random threads or hijacking popular threads to get answers.
post #26 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
Scott, you're in rarefied company here on AVS .. both in the number of your posts and the leadership value you bring in trying new things and approaches.
Oh, I wasn't talking about myself. Heheh. There are a lot of people who contribute quite a bit around here. Some get recognition, some don't seem to. That's all I meant.

But thanks! I enjoy it when I help and makes somebody happy and maybe save some money which does tend to make people even happier. That's all I care about. I don't need anything in return when I help out or dish out good info.

Btw, they do sorta have a thing now for this. It's not perfect but it gives an idea. When you 'like' a post, that number is tracked a listed publicly with their stats when they post. You can see how many times they've been quoted and liked and such. That is sorta like that function you mention. So the more likes the more likely that this is a person worth listening to. Or they just post a bunch of random funny ****.

The rest ... well.... they have to earn their reputation as I have, I guess. Good or bad.
post #27 of 46 Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
I have noticed some people don't bother to do a little groundwork before asking questions.

Some even seem to be demanding as in , I have seen this.

Also, in one week, I saw 6 posts for "best bookshelf for ~$300... 3 of them in were in one day.

Some in random threads or hijacking popular threads to get answers.
Me me me.....thought the 70s were over, lol! Also the ones who claim to have searched and searched but you google basically their question and it would be answered....
Shadowed likes this.
post #28 of 46 Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
What was your question? Maybe I can help or someone else will chime in.
martinq likes this.
post #29 of 46 Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
When you have a limited budget, limited resources, and limited experience, I would say the smart process would be to make 100% sure you are doing the right thing. Sure, you can get more "bang for the buck" with DIY, but if the results aren't to your liking, not only are you stuck with stuff you can't return, but now you also don't have the money to get something already built that would have worked just fine...

And even when not talking DIY, for people not in the hobby this can be extremely intimidating. Audio equipment is, at least for most people, a big investment into a luxury. Most of the gear is expensive to ship, so if you don't buy local you are looking at big money loss if you make the wrong choices, and if you do buy local you are going to end up with whatever pays the most commission for the salesman. So a place like this is valuable to the noob.

Heck, I recently got back into this stuff having come from a background where I sold and installed custom home theaters professionally. Despite a strong background in electronics and technology as well as a lot of experience with audio in general, I was very cautious before jumping in. I started with a $1000 budget for new subs and within a couple weeks was $4500 into it and with no end on the horizon, exactly the thing I DIDN'T want to happen. Why, with decent experience in audio, a fully functioning woodshop, decent DIY skills, and enough money to not worry about breaking the budget, was I looking for someone to hold my hand before diving in?? Because I know just enough about the product to know that I needed advice from the people who play with this every day before making a choice or I might end up spending money that would just go to waste. Technology is evolving rapidly. In my time, an LCD projector was crap and if you wanted more than 480 lines you got a line doubler. 5.1 had just come out and THX (and pro-logic) was on the way out the door. Now you have 5.1, 7.1, atmos, dts-x, aura-3d, height speakers, multiple sub channels, Audyssey, HD, QHD, SUHD, 4:3, 16:9, 21:9, DLP, LED, OLED, Quantum Dots, and a whole bunch of other considerations when thinking about a simple home theater. If that isn't daunting to the layman (or even the former pro who hasn't been around the stuff for a while), what is? Anyone who wants to just make sure they are getting the best bang for their buck and doesn't want to end up buying something that is obsolete next week will be asking what you think are stupid questions, and by hesitating, it can appear to the hobbyist that they are afraid.

Personally, I think you need to replace "afraid" with words like "smart", "frugal", or "cautious." Not everyone has the knowledge or luxury to just dive into this and try different things. To some, the thought of buying (or attempting to build) a $1000 subwoofer with the idea that "if you don't like it just try something else" is as reasonable as buying a house with the idea that if they don't like it after a few weeks they can just sell it and get something else. They want the right thing the first time because they aren't going to get a second chance without a heavy toll.
chadsmith013 and Jonas2 like this.
post #30 of 46 Old 01-15-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
When you have a limited budget, limited resources, and limited experience, I would say the smart process would be to make 100% sure you are doing the right thing. Sure, you can get more "bang for the buck" with DIY, but if the results aren't to your liking, not only are you stuck with stuff you can't return, but now you also don't have the money to get something already built that would have worked just fine...

And even when not talking DIY, for people not in the hobby this can be extremely intimidating. Audio equipment is, at least for most people, a big investment into a luxury. Most of the gear is expensive to ship, so if you don't buy local you are looking at big money loss if you make the wrong choices, and if you do buy local you are going to end up with whatever pays the most commission for the salesman. So a place like this is valuable to the noob.

Heck, I recently got back into this stuff having come from a background where I sold and installed custom home theaters professionally. Despite a strong background in electronics and technology as well as a lot of experience with audio in general, I was very cautious before jumping in. I started with a $1000 budget for new subs and within a couple weeks was $4500 into it and with no end on the horizon, exactly the thing I DIDN'T want to happen. Why, with decent experience in audio, a fully functioning woodshop, decent DIY skills, and enough money to not worry about breaking the budget, was I looking for someone to hold my hand before diving in?? Because I know just enough about the product to know that I needed advice from the people who play with this every day before making a choice or I might end up spending money that would just go to waste. Technology is evolving rapidly. In my time, an LCD projector was crap and if you wanted more than 480 lines you got a line doubler. 5.1 had just come out and THX (and pro-logic) was on the way out the door. Now you have 5.1, 7.1, atmos, dts-x, aura-3d, height speakers, multiple sub channels, Audyssey, HD, QHD, SUHD, 4:3, 16:9, 21:9, DLP, LED, OLED, Quantum Dots, and a whole bunch of other considerations when thinking about a simple home theater. If that isn't daunting to the layman (or even the former pro who hasn't been around the stuff for a while), what is? Anyone who wants to just make sure they are getting the best bang for their buck and doesn't want to end up buying something that is obsolete next week will be asking what you think are stupid questions, and by hesitating, it can appear to the hobbyist that they are afraid.

Personally, I think you need to replace "afraid" with words like "smart", "frugal", or "cautious." Not everyone has the knowledge or luxury to just dive into this and try different things. To some, the thought of buying (or attempting to build) a $1000 subwoofer with the idea that "if you don't like it just try something else" is as reasonable as buying a house with the idea that if they don't like it after a few weeks they can just sell it and get something else. They want the right thing the first time because they aren't going to get a second chance without a heavy toll.
To be honest, it sounds like you got in over your head. Baby steps man. Just because you can get into Diy, doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone. Diy sound group is perfect for a beginner. Everything is layed out and you just follow instructions.
K9woofer likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page