4 hst-18 build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
4 hst-18 build

Added two crest amps to drive the 4 HST-18. They are Crest Pro Audio 9200. They put out [email protected] ohms. The 5 other amps are Crest Pro Audio 8200. Here is a picture of the amp rack.


eng-399 and zpatter1 like this.
kutlow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here are the 4 enclosures prior to bracing. They are 22x22x22

kutlow is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here is a picture showing the bracing. It is a very strong cabinet.

kutlow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
lukeamdman and brian6751 like this.
kutlow is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
foam going around the front of enclosure where the driver will be

kutlow is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Painted them with duratex.

lukeamdman likes this.
kutlow is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm getting ready to install the polyfill. I wanted to ask here about a HP high pass filter. Should I set one? If so what FREQ? Thanks in advance.
kutlow is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Added a picture of them in their final resting place.


Fattykidd and Nexgen76 like this.

Last edited by kutlow; 03-05-2016 at 02:38 PM.
kutlow is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
I'm getting ready to install the polyfill. I wanted to ask here about a HP high pass filter. Should I set one? If so what FREQ? Thanks in advance.
No - you have a capable driver with plenty of excursion. And you have a sealed enclosure where the internal "air-spring" will provide protection. That is why you go sealed to go subsonic/single digits.

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /

Last edited by Kubbie; 03-04-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Kubbie is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
thank you.
kutlow is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Although they are rated 1500 watts, you should be able to give them all the 9200 have on movies / program material. When I use sine waves, I just do 3-5 second burps to not heat the coils.

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /
Kubbie is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield IL.
Posts: 5,490
Mentioned: 521 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
I like this thread you have 4-HST 18's in a box that's 22/22/22. I'm looking forward to seeing how these measure and the output of them. I have 4-18's in 4-LLT's and a always wonder if I went this route and built a baffle way how everything would sound. Great job on the boxes and the finish they look great! Can't wait to hear what ya think of them when you fire them up.
eng-399 is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
lukeamdman is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Luke I have a question. I put polyfill in the back 1/2 of the enclosure. The magnet comes right where my baffle brace is. I used the 1 inch foam around the front half of the enclosure. I didn't put any polyfill around the front half because 1 I was in a hurry and 2 did not want to get it next to the driver. Should I put poly around the driver itself or you think this is good enough? It just looked hard to get the fishnet around that area.

Thanks for all your help...
kutlow is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 03-05-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
Luke I have a question. I put polyfill in the back 1/2 of the enclosure. The magnet comes right where my baffle brace is. I used the 1 inch foam around the front half of the enclosure. I didn't put any polyfill around the front half because 1 I was in a hurry and 2 did not want to get it next to the driver. Should I put poly around the driver itself or you think this is good enough? It just looked hard to get the fishnet around that area.

Thanks for all your help...
Nah I think it's good how it is.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I just thought about this and could find a small type pillow and wrap around there or I could get one made with poly. What do you think? It would be hard to take the drivers out now. I fired it up this morning and OH MY GOD! Nearfield is awesome.
kutlow is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
I just thought about this and could find a small type pillow and wrap around there or I could get one made with poly. What do you think? It would be hard to take the drivers out now. I fired it up this morning and OH MY GOD! Nearfield is awesome.

If the whole back of the enclosure if filled with poly I think you're good man. I don't think adding any more would be noticeable.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ok i'm leaving it alone. How do you like your new subs compared to the GH?
kutlow is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
Ok i'm leaving it alone. How do you like your new subs compared to the GH?
There are pros and cons to each, but sealed definitely plays lower and that was the goal. I'm happy with my decision.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 03-06-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 10,593
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
I fired it up this morning and OH MY GOD!
Boom boom! That should increase your ULF score a bit.

Usually sealed subs have a rolloff starting around 30hz, they actually require ULF boosting to get flat to single digits. Pretty much the exact opposite concept of a HPF.

It's a trade-off between excursion/heat/watts and how low it will play.

The downside is that you'll lose some mid-bass if you EQ it any flatter the the native response allows.

If you use DEQ for the ULF boost with a precisely controlled target excursion, you might be able to recover from that mid-bass loss at the SPL increases at the expense of some flatness.
This is a trick that Velodyne uses in its DD subs, and many other companies now use as well for their subs...
BassThatHz is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So the upgrade bug continues. I just ordered the JVC RS 400 4k projector. Paired with my new Marantz 7702 MKII. I'll have it on Tuesday. I am waiting for the new OPPO 4K Bluray player to come out in August. Time to go lay down for awhile.
kutlow is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
So the upgrade bug continues. I just ordered the JVC RS 400 4k projector. Paired with my new Marantz 7702 MKII. I'll have it on Tuesday. I am waiting for the new OPPO 4K Bluray player to come out in August. Time to go lay down for awhile.
I'm auditioning that same pj. And for 1080p it's amazing! I really wish it would play nice with my k8500 4K player though :/
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
I'm auditioning that same pj. And for 1080p it's amazing! I really wish it would play nice with my k8500 4K player though :/
I have an rs600 and I completely agree that it is stellar. I think the rs400 will be very close.

Disappointing to hear the k8500 doesn't play nice with it, but I guess it's good to know so I stay patient for an oppo (or other) 4k player.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I called OPPO friday and was told the 103d replacement 4k player comes out in August time frame. Ive heard the panny 4k player is better than the samsung. Ill buy one from Best Buy and use it and return before the 14 day period just to watch 4k for a hot minute.
kutlow is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Fattykidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I like this thread you have 4-HST 18's in a box that's 22/22/22. I'm looking forward to seeing how these measure and the output of them. I have 4-18's in 4-LLT's and a always wonder if I went this route and built a baffle way how everything would sound. Great job on the boxes and the finish they look great! Can't wait to hear what ya think of them when you fire them up.
When i moved my subs from the ported to sealed.. I was worried i was gonna lose output, I don't seem to be missing anything.. Went from 8cuft ported to 3cuft sealed..I'm happy with my decision.
And great job @kutlow . I'm also waiting on oppo and Panasonic to see what's on it's way. My Marantz should arrive next week with some new volt 6 for atmos.. Glad to see I'm not the only one around who "bought the farm" lol..
Fattykidd is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 01:24 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
I have an rs600 and I completely agree that it is stellar. I think the rs400 will be very close.

Disappointing to hear the k8500 doesn't play nice with it, but I guess it's good to know so I stay patient for an oppo (or other) 4k player.

I'm running the RS400 and the 8500 and they are working quite well together, as is member Stoked21. Head over to the RS400 thread and do some reading. Since upgrades the quality and picture is nothing short of breathtaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nexgen76 likes this.
[email protected] is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 01:52 PM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm running the RS400 and the 8500 and they are working quite well together, as is member Stoked21. Head over to the RS400 thread and do some reading. Since upgrades the quality and picture is nothing short of breathtaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish I knew the secret
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey Brian. Here's what I'm running, maybe it will help. I have the 8500, one HDMI to my Marantz AV7005 audio only and other going direct to the RS400 via a 20' run of Blue Jeans Cable Series 1 Certified Premium. The 400 has had the firmware upgraded and has the new rec2020 color profile uploaded and settings comply with guidance just released from JVC for HDR. My 8500 outputs home screen at 4K/60fps and BJC cable carries no problem. Also running FW1003 for the Samsung 8500. I'm not allowing it to upgrade to 1005 (1004 was pulled it was a failure) until I know for sure its stable without issue. Hope that helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected] is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 04-18-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Brian. Here's what I'm running, maybe it will help. I have the 8500, one HDMI to my Marantz AV7005 audio only and other going direct to the RS400 via a 20' run of Blue Jeans Cable Series 1 Certified Premium. The 400 has had the firmware upgraded and has the new rec2020 color profile uploaded and settings comply with guidance just released from JVC for HDR. My 8500 outputs home screen at 4K/60fps and BJC cable carries no problem. Also running FW1003 for the Samsung 8500. I'm not allowing it to upgrade to 1005 (1004 was pulled it was a failure) until I know for sure its stable without issue. Hope that helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you do the firmware update? What is the latest firmware? Link?
kutlow is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
the_abbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looks great! Did you order flatpacks for the HST18 or build your own? I am going to build two of these for my room over the next couple of weeks.
the_abbot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off