Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 211Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 688 Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
If your AVR has unbalanced output then stick with the RCA input on the sp1-4000. The newer models no longer have a switch between XLR and RCA connectors for the input, its auto detecting.

I can't help you with connectors for the subs as my drivers are inverted and I just use bare cables to the terminals.

That Speakon NL4 allows for two pairs of cables, at some point you will need to take each pair and parallel them to two of the um18s. The two pairs are hooked up in parallel within the amp.



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 688 Old 12-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
If your AVR has unbalanced output then stick with the RCA input on the sp1-4000. The newer models no longer have a switch between XLR and RCA connectors for the input, its auto detecting.

I can't help you with connectors for the subs as my drivers are inverted and I just use bare cables to the terminals.

That Speakon NL4 allows for two pairs of cables, at some point you will need to take each pair and parallel them to two of the um18s. The two pairs are hooked up in parallel within the amp.



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yea I just have a Denon 5000x or whatever the number is so just 2 RCA outputs. I'll just stick with RCA...thats all I ever used.



I think it would look pretty sweet aving the divers inverted for a sofa table...but that has a WAF of zilch LOL.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #543 of 688 Old 12-16-2018, 06:30 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So I am finally looking at the conduit situation for my near field plan with this sp1 and the UM18s. I asked my builder when we built to run a conduit from the wall to under the sofa so I could run wires if need be in the future. I haven’t ran the fish tape all the way through yet but in looking at this it seems there is one conduit down there but it’s the one the romex wire is run through.

How bad is it going to be running a RCA LFE wire directly next to it in the same conduit? I do t think you can run those two in the same conduit.


If this doesn’t work is there a solid wireless option y’all know if? I tried using the rocket fish ones and they had this popping feed back I have had to live with.

Just came across the SVS units...

Last edited by NOLAGT; 12-16-2018 at 07:40 AM.
NOLAGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 688 Old 12-16-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
So I am finally looking at the conduit situation for my near field plan with this sp1 and the UM18s. I asked my builder when we built to run a conduit from the wall to under the sofa so I could run wires if need be in the future. I haven’t ran the fish tape all the way through yet but in looking at this it seems there is one conduit down there but it’s the one the romex wire is run through.

How bad is it going to be running a RCA LFE wire directly next to it in the same conduit? I do t think you can run those two in the same conduit.


If this doesn’t work is there a solid wireless option y’all know if? I tried using the rocket fish ones and they had this popping feed back I have had to live with.

Just came across the SVS units...

Even if you could run an RCA next to a 120V line, it would result in massive hum from inductance into the RCA line. Don't.....

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
michael hurd is offline  
post #545 of 688 Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
So I am finally looking at the conduit situation for my near field plan with this sp1 and the UM18s. I asked my builder when we built to run a conduit from the wall to under the sofa so I could run wires if need be in the future. I haven’t ran the fish tape all the way through yet but in looking at this it seems there is one conduit down there but it’s the one the romex wire is run through.

How bad is it going to be running a RCA LFE wire directly next to it in the same conduit? I do t think you can run those two in the same conduit.


If this doesn’t work is there a solid wireless option y’all know if? I tried using the rocket fish ones and they had this popping feed back I have had to live with.

Just came across the SVS units...

Even if you could run an RCA next to a 120V line, it would result in massive hum from inductance into the RCA line. Don't.....
That’s what I thought. I was pretty sure AC lines will introduce interference. Kinda mad because my electricians that did my house have caused me grief since day one...and it has continued to pop up over time...including today.

I have a SVS wireless set ordered...my only hope now. Or battle royal with the wife about some wires run across the floor lol.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #546 of 688 Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Started glueing up two um18 flat packs. The other two arrive midweek.

Also got the parts for a dedicated 30A 240V breaker running 10 gauge wire to an L6-20 receptacle. I know 20A should be enough but cost difference was marginal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #547 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Looks like prices have gone up, sp1-4000 was $999 now $1219.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #548 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Looks like prices have gone up, sp1-4000 was $999 now $1219.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk



Oh wow got mine just in time then lol. I should have the things I need to get my 4 UM18s mounted up in there flat packs and onto the sp1.


How are you mounting your UMs to the box? Putting 4cft of pollyfill? I have a few options on hand for mounting the subs (t nuts or long screws) and for the speaker terminal (4” cup, 2” cup, or just terminal post).






Last edited by NOLAGT; 12-28-2018 at 08:22 AM.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #549 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
Oh wow got mine just in time then lol. I should have the things I need to get my 4 UM18s mounted up in there flat packs and onto the sp1.


How are you mounting your UMs to the box? Putting 4cft of pollyfill? I have a few options on hand for mounting the subs and for the speaker terminal.
Wood screws, usually I go with 4 or 5 lbs of polyfil in each. I'm going to put some ultratouch denim along the walls in this set.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #550 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I'm going to put some ultratouch denim along the walls in this set.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

In place of the 4-5lbs of polly or in addition too?
NOLAGT is offline  
post #551 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
In addition. I may retrofit it into the original four

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #552 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So what does the denim add that the polly does not? I had just seen that stuff mentioned and haven't looked into it yet. You cover all the sides and leave the braces exposed?
NOLAGT is offline  
post #553 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
So what does the denim add that the polly does not? I had just seen that stuff mentioned and haven't looked into it yet. You cover all the sides and leave the braces exposed?
I just use spray adhesive and glue it on to the inside walls, over the bracing. I don't have the patience to cut it out all neat and tidy.

The denim is much denser than the polyfil, so to me having the sides damped with that and then the airspace with polyfil is the best combo for me. Others don't use any stuffing at all. I believe the theory is that stuffing a sealed box reduces qtc, with 0.707 being a general target but overstuffing can bring you below that (critically damped)?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #554 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I just use spray adhesive and glue it on to the inside walls, over the bracing. I don't have the patience to cut it out all neat and tidy.

The denim is much denser than the polyfil, so to me having the sides damped with that and then the airspace with polyfil is the best combo for me. Others don't use any stuffing at all. I believe the theory is that stuffing a sealed box reduces qtc, with 0.707 being a general target but overstuffing can bring you below that (critically damped)?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Is there a way to measure the qtc once you have it stuffed? I had looked at the parts express DATSv2...can that mesure the boxs qts once its sealed up?
NOLAGT is offline  
post #555 of 688 Old 12-29-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the qts. Hook them up and see how you feel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #556 of 688 Old 12-29-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
Is there a way to measure the qtc once you have it stuffed? I had looked at the parts express DATSv2...can that mesure the boxs qts once its sealed up?
Based on this long thread it can:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...6-overstuffing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #557 of 688 Old 12-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the qts. Hook them up and see how you feel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Getting close to mounting them. So wire question, I’ll wire each sub to be 4ohm internally. When hooking up each box can I daisy chain a wire + to + and - to - (parallel) from each box to the next and end up with just one wire going to the speakon connector and get a 1ohm load?

NOLAGT is offline  
post #558 of 688 Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Member
 
BBLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
Getting close to mounting them. So wire question, I’ll wire each sub to be 4ohm internally. When hooking up each box can I daisy chain a wire + to + and - to - (parallel) from each box to the next and end up with just one wire going to the speakon connector and get a 1ohm load?

That is correct.
BBLV is offline  
post #559 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,612
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
Getting close to mounting them. So wire question, I’ll wire each sub to be 4ohm internally. When hooking up each box can I daisy chain a wire + to + and - to - (parallel) from each box to the next and end up with just one wire going to the speakon connector and get a 1ohm load?

Already mentioned, yes.

The biggest increase in performance to me has to be the lack of rolloff on the low end. I went from 176 mm of x-max with a different amp to 108 mm with the SP1-4000 and I have more low end now than before. I can't keep my doors shut anymore as the pressure keeps opening them. I need to dig a deeper recess for the lock LOL!
Pradeep2 likes this.

Nothing right now
MKtheater is offline  
post #560 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Guys, I am running dedicated ac lines for my 2 channel system. I am using a Crown xls 1502 for my old Kinergetics research sw-800 subs with 5-10 inch drivers per side. I need more power. Thinking I should run one 220 line and grab an sp-12000. You know so no what ifs! Lol

Any suggestions?
flat4 is online now  
post #561 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
. I need to dig a deeper recess for the lock LOL!

I have been a bass head since a young age and it would fascinate me the things I could do with the pressure of the subs in my room lol. When I was a kid in the early 90s I fit some 12" Fosgate Punch into my Sony home stereo towers. I would make my bedroom door close and the lights dim if I had them on low. Rattle the parents glasses in the cabinet downstairs until they yelled lol, those were the days. I really these 18s preform well behind the sofa like this.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #562 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,612
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2547
Yeah, I knocked the projector off the shelf, loose door handle off, many acoustic panels falling off the wall, etc... My hardwood floor above the theater literally flexes like when the ground comes up and then down in WOTW. I still keep craking marble tiles in the bathroom above as well.

Nothing right now
MKtheater is offline  
post #563 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Yeah, I knocked the projector off the shelf, loose door handle off, many acoustic panels falling off the wall, etc... My hardwood floor above the theater literally flexes like when the ground comes up and then down in WOTW. I still keep craking marble tiles in the bathroom above as well.
They are alive! I measure 1.2ohm on the wire with my fluke dmm. Wife does not like them...so that’s a plus. Will need some more time with them...alone. They are thumping but they are not tuned at all. It’s still setup with the last subs and wireless device.



NOLAGT is offline  
post #564 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Looks great. Did the amp come with the internal casing or did you request it especially?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #565 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,612
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2547
Nice looking drivers.

Nothing right now
MKtheater is offline  
post #566 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Looks great. Did the amp come with the internal casing or did you request it especially?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I didnt request anything. I called and talked to them about running it at 1ohm and placing the order so they knew what I was planing on doing with it maybe? So it normally does not come with that vented bottom part?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Nice looking drivers.

Thanks, so far im real pleased with the whole experience. Drivers look good, flat pack boxes went together easy, amp is small and silent and seems to be plenty of power. I cant wait for some alone time with them...the wife really wasn't feeling them last night...thats off to a good start. I pumped it good one time on some random bass mekanic song I had up on youtube...it had my wife giving me the stank eye yelling to turn it off, my daughter calling my cell from upstairs and the Christmas tree lights that is plugged into the same circuit dimming LOL.
chrapladm likes this.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #567 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
I didnt request anything. I called and talked to them about running it at 1ohm and placing the order so they knew what I was planing on doing with it maybe? So it normally does not come with that vented bottom part?





Thanks, so far im real pleased with the whole experience. Drivers look good, flat pack boxes went together easy, amp is small and silent and seems to be plenty of power. I cant wait for some alone time with them...the wife really wasn't feeling them last night...thats off to a good start. I pumped it good one time on some random bass mekanic song I had up on youtube...it had my wife giving me the stank eye yelling to turn it off, my daughter calling my cell from upstairs and the Christmas tree lights that is plugged into the same circuit dimming LOL.
They used to have those internal covers in earlier versions of the Speakerpower torpedo design, and then dropped them from the HT line for cost savings when they dropped the prices back then. Looks like they are using them again, I'm jealous I didnt get one on mine.

You may find that you can trip a 20A circuit with four um18s, especially once you start boosting the bottom end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #568 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
They used to have those internal covers in earlier versions of the Speakerpower torpedo design, and then dropped them from the HT line for cost savings when they dropped the prices back then. Looks like they are using them again, I'm jealous I didnt get one on mine.

You may find that you can trip a 20A circuit with four um18s, especially once you start boosting the bottom end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ah well nice im glad to have gotten one...I was unsure what it would come with or what I am going to do with it. Ill put it under the sofa but ill mount it to a box of some sort.


I thought it may trip the 20amp....if it does I can switch to the 220v 20amp and the few things I have plugged in will have to get an adapter. I really just have my end table lamps and harmony remote charger plugged into that circuit...so just one adapter under the sofa and I should be good to go.
NOLAGT is offline  
post #569 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Did you get the sp1-6000? Yeah 240V is the way to go with that model.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #570 of 688 Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Member
 
NOLAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No I stuck with the sp1-4000 becasue I didn't want to HAVE to switch to 240v and the UMs are getting enough power...but I know in the back of my mind I have room to grow if need be. I may be incorporating some of those $29 JBL 12s into the system too but I have other 20 amp power sources in the room. I don't know that I will have the 12s at the sofa anyway...


Id love to know what that sp1-4000 does at 1ohm?
NOLAGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off