2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 679Likes

post #211 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 533 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 4968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 88
post #213 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmap42 View Post
@eng-399 I am planning on bringing my pair of 88 Specials.

Sweet!!!' I'll add that to the mix of speakers coming I was just talking to @JCJetta about these he was thinking on doing this for his lcr in his room. I always wanted to hear those.
Thanks bitmap42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Yeah that's fine.

If someone wants to buy the VBSS enclosures off me at the GTG (without the drivers, I may use them in another project) that would be cool too! They are just sitting here and I am trying to clear a bunch of unused stuff out.
eng-399 likes this.
post #215 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmap42 View Post
@eng-399 I am planning on bringing my pair of 88 Specials.
Oh hells yes! I'm contemplating spending the extra money and upgrading from the Fusion 8s to those.

Completely unrelated - today marks the first time I hung a sheet of drywall on a weeknight. Hoping to to have most of my drywall complete before this GTG.
post #216 of 808 Old 04-29-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Yeah that's fine.

If someone wants to buy the VBSS enclosures off me at the GTG (without the drivers, I may use them in another project) that would be cool too! They are just sitting here and I am trying to clear a bunch of unused stuff out.
Hmmmm... PM me as I may be interested lol...
post #217 of 808 Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Yeah that's fine.

I might be interested in them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Denon AVR x3200, iNUKE 6000DSP and 3000DSP, Fusion 8 Alchemy Towers and Center, B&W DM 560, Onkyo Atmos speakers, SI DS4 in a full Marty, 4 Infinity 1262s, 4 JBL CS1214
post #218 of 808 Old 04-30-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@mtg90 any chance we can get to hear the flex-12 and VBSS again. I can help out like last time bringing them by.
@mtg 80
I second this request, especially for the VBSS', in fact I can supply the inuke 3000dsp, I just got mine back from Behringer; fully tested, with all presets factory reset, just needs mtg90s .arp files loaded in (by someone more experienced, with better luck than me)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #219 of 808 Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@mtg90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
@mtg 80
I second this request, especially for the VBSS', in fact I can supply the inuke 3000dsp, I just got mine back from Behringer; fully tested, with all presets factory reset, just needs mtg90s .arp files loaded in (by someone more experienced, with better luck than me)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #220 of 808 Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Does anyone have a need for an external 7-channel amplifier? I was going to toss my old Harman Kardon AVR 630 on Craigslist because I no longer have a use for it. It can be used as an external amplifier, as it's been measured to produce 75+ watts per channel, 5 channels driven 0.1% THD...

I also have a Monster Power conditioner HTS 3500 mkii that I'm not using. It didn't seem to make any difference in reducing noise on my system, but others may have a different experience.

I can bring either or both if anyone is interested...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HK AVR 630 3.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	1415138   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK AVR 630 12.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	1415146   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK AVR 630 13.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	1415154   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK AVR 630 15.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	856.4 KB
ID:	1415162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements 1 .JPG
Views:	80
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1415170  

eng-399 likes this.
post #221 of 808 Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub!

Hey guys I think my ears and body were playing tricks on me lol. I had daman918 over last Saturday and we played a few demo clips in the room and the tactical feeling and bass wasn't there like is was before the mini riser went in. I took all the subs out of the box and put better gaskets material on them right before I installed the riser to... Long story short I took some sweeps and tested a few things and the mini riser killed the tactile feeling in base for some reason but I don't know. So I'm pulling the riser out. I like bass more than having more height in the chairs. I'll revisit the riser after meet once I modify it....
Edit: I fixed the wording in this lol if anyone caught what I wrote lol

Last edited by eng-399; 05-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #222 of 808 Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class

It still sounded great though. :-)
derrickdj1 and eng-399 like this.
post #223 of 808 Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Assuming the same physics are at work here, tactile sensations from tactile transducers are highly dependent on how rigid the surfaces are they are attached to, how connects vs isolated the transducer is relative to the seated person, and if there is anything that could ground the vibrations. If we look at your situation, it is possible the riser (which at low frequencies won't be very rigid) is actually resonating at a frequency in line with the subs and canceling some of the bass. We can measure that with my accelerometer if you like. It is also possible that its not isolated enough from the floor (or conversely, if the subwoofer is directly on the original riser and this new one is isolated, it is possible its too isolated. You probably want to tie the subwoofer and mini-riser together and not isolate them from each other. You want it as rigid as possible, etc.

I would not be surprised if putting a bottom plate on the mini riser and then having the subwoofer sit on an extended shelf of that bottom plate would restore that tactile feel. Rigidly connecting them (as you had mentioned once before) might further that. However, doing so will also have the problem of creating a sealed box which will act like a panel type bass absorber of unknown tuning and effect. It's also in a particularly bad location for bass dampening. Some have suggested turning risers into bass traps, but I don't see that as a good idea. I think a better option is to make the box much more rigid so its tuning frequency is much higher (well over 100hz) and its Q is very low (i.e. very broad). Another thing people often do that is probably a bad thing is fill the riser with stuffing (fiberglass, rockwool, etc.). That is a good idea for the front stage because the front stage is near a boundary (though if its part of a false wall and is too far out, it may not be a great idea), however you don't want a panel trap bass absorber in the middle of the room away from all boundaries and below where you sit. A sealed box is a giant panel trap but they are highly inefficient at absorbing energy, instead they largely just convert the pressure waves to velocity waves (with a small amount lost as heat). They won't really absorb much bass. Fill it with velocity absorbing material and suddenly its a highly efficient bass absorber.
post #224 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody by chance have a set of Fusion-4 Quad-4's they are bringing lol... looking at those as an option for my loft setup in a L/R/C or L/R config...

The Fusion 8's towers may "barely" be workable but I think they might be a bit too tall for what I'm looking for....

I was mainly looking at bookies but the Fusion-4 seems like a very nice kit, its fairly skinny, shallow and somewhat tall. Plus mated with a sub it seems like it would do decent in my 12 x 16 loft....

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #225 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 254
For what its worth, the Fusion 8 has the advantage of having better vertical dispersion (The MMTMM design of the 4 will create a suckout off axis which on one hand controls reflection from the ceiling but on the other hand can create an uneven response if you are in fact sitting off axis) and better pattern control down to a lower frequency. I've not seen polar response graphs of the 8 so I can't say its a CD design, but the lower crossover point and overall design would allow it to at least have a chance of having CD characteristics down to a much lower frequency, which has been shown to be correlated with perceived better sound by both Harman and Geddes. Based on the design alone, if I was picking based on convenience to mount on either side of a tv, I'd pick the 4. If I was looking for the best sound in a small package, I'd pick the 8.

We would need to see measurements, especially in situ, to really get a sense of this, but there have been some case studies of MTM and MMTMM (especially the MMTMM) designs having undesirable lobing at actual listening positions in the room. It isn't that an MMTMM is a bad design, it has its purpose, it's just that the interaction of the drivers off-axis isn't as straightforward as with a 2 way design and as such people can end up with an undesirable response because they didn't realize how different their vertical response pattern is.

Not that this helps you in the slightest, but when you say loft, if the loft is an open area and the desire is to "shower" the loft area and the open area with sound that is even in tonality and constant in SPL, a CBT design is possibly better. That kind of environment mimics a space more akin to what you see in commercial installations where you really need to pay attention to the dispersion pattern. If you are only listening and only care about the sound quality within a normal listening distance of the speaker (say no more than 2.5x the width between the two speakers) then this doesn't matter, but if the desire is to fill a larger space with the best possible sound, none of these are the perfect tool. CBT is a much more appropriate tool. I really would like to build some DIY CBT designs that are small, just 6-8 drivers based on 2" or 3" drivers in compact straight enclosures and shading. I already told Mike about the project idea, but I just need to find some time to measure a 3" driver I have 6 of so I can make sure that my crossover models will match real measurements and give me the desired shading and response. The design requires tank filters and padding resistors along with parallel-series wiring of the drivers to obtain the desired flat on-axis response and polar response of a CBT.
post #226 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Might take this to PM with you, otherwise feel free to weigh in on my thread here which has some pictures and whatnot. Trying not to muddy up this GTG thread with my personal stuff lol....

So far failing in epic style

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #227 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys I think my ears and body were playing tricks on me lol. I had daman918 over last Saturday and we played a few demo clips in the room and the tactical feeling and bass wasn't there like is was before the mini riser went in. I took all the subs out of the box and put better gaskets material on them right before I installed the riser to... Long story short I took some sweeps and tested a few things and the mini riser killed the tactile feeling in base for some reason but I don't know. So I'm pulling the riser out. I like bass more than having more height in the chairs. I'll revisit the riser after meet once I modify it....
LOL, I'm glad you made the right decision (audio over video). Too bad the riser didn't help, but I have some ideas to help. It's also the resonance frequency of the couch+riser versus the couch by itself that might come into play.
eng-399 likes this.
post #228 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I won't be able to bring the newest addition to the family to this GTG meet, but check it out folks - I scored a pair of Goldenear Triton One speakers last night! Now, I will still bring my Goldear Trition Twos to the meet. And yes, the Goldenear Trition Twos are officially up for sale now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1s.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1422746  
dman918, corradizo and eng-399 like this.
post #229 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
I won't be able to bring the newest addition to the family to this GTG meet, but check it out folks - I scored a pair of Goldenear Triton One speakers last night! Now, I will still bring my Goldear Trition Twos to the meet. And yes, the Goldenear Trition Twos are officially up for sale now

Those speakers look bad $$&! Congrats Mike!!!
murphy2112 and basshead77 like this.
post #230 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Awesome!

Gotta say, that room seems to be BEGGING for a nice projector and screen.
murphy2112 and lizrussspike like this.
post #231 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:
Sure you didn't miswire something when you were installing new gaskets. If it was easily perceptible, its seems quite likely that would be the culprit. An out of phase woofer can kill 2 woofers. And that's significant.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
murphy2112 likes this.

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #232 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Sure you didn't miswire something when you were installing new gaskets. If it was easily perceptible, its seems quite likely that would be the culprit. An out of phase woofer can kill 2 woofers. And that's significant.

Your right I'll give that a second look and see what I find. Good idea.
post #233 of 808 Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
If they're passive subs you can quickly and easily do battery tests to see what phase they're in.

eng-399 likes this.

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #234 of 808 Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #235 of 808 Old 05-07-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
@eng-399 ,
Awesome! I love my Marantz SR 7008, and now you make me want to upgrade.
eng-399 likes this.
post #236 of 808 Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@eng-399 ,

Awesome! I love my Marantz SR 7008, and now you make me want to upgrade.

Thanks it was a late night night getting everything hooked up. I think I stopped at 2:30 once I down loaded most of the updates on it. It looks like there's one more to go the auro 3D and that's it. I had a bad humm through the speakers like last time but I was able to fix that and get the speakers quiet once again, that's what took so long. The another problem I ran into and was able to fix was the two subwoofer pre outs. There next to each other so there was no room to get the second Rca into it. I have 4 sub amps and two preouts on the avr. I had a bunch of different type of ycables and connectors so that helped and got it done. I'll do more later today my rack is still pulled out and I need another cat 5 ran back there that's in a closet next to it. I can't wait to run the room correction on it and see how it changes things. Time get the kids going here and shop for Mother's Day....
post #237 of 808 Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
post #238 of 808 Old 05-07-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, you are probably set for all future uhd and Atmos/DTS:X for a decade now!
eng-399 likes this.
post #239 of 808 Old 05-08-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, you are probably set for all future uhd and Atmos/DTS:X for a decade now!
Mike,

New AVR and ATMOS - you're the man!!
eng-399 likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #240 of 808 Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Mike,

New AVR and ATMOS - you're the man!!

The sound is so much better than before I was running my last avr pure with no room correction I just set the speaker distance on it. With xt32 on the Marantz have a lot more midbass and the subs are delayed perfect and sound better. It also sounds good without subs now. I wish I would of upgraded the avr last year.

The next thing in line now are 4 volt 6's from diysg for the Atmos setup.
Mike Butny, JCJetta and basshead77 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page