• 1 Post By mrcoop

post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
over driving sub?

Ok, I had a rattle in my sub and thought it was the wires...dont think so. I finished my other full marty and the same thing is happening. used my other driver and the same driver. My guess is, Iam asking to much from sub?. it is in a huge room, but it will be going into a much smaller dedicated theater room. Whats strange is Iam running the inuke 3000 in stereo mode so at the most its pushing is probably 600 watts. I only ran one sub...never used both at the same time, will do that in the theater room. Not sure how the sub is bottoming out with just tickling the clip light at louder levels.

My settings:

Have the sub level pretty high on yamaha aventage avr...around +7.
inuke is set to the 3:00 position.
manually level matched subs with speakers and distances, with an additional +4 for the subs.
subs, the new si ds4.
filter at 20

Rattle is only on intense bass scenes...pods emerge scene when the foot lands on pavement just before vaporizing the poor folks who never see it coming...tough to hear it, but if you put your ear close to box, its audible....and I decided to turn up the juice another 4 db, and you can hear it. I figure there would be no way to bottom out sub if the most juice thats going to the sub is probably 600 watts...am I missing something...probably shouldnt worry until I get it into the theater room but its bugging me and probably will bug me until I get it in the room, which could be a couple months.

My magnum 12's, mid bass modules, no rattle and I can put the hammer to those.

Last edited by mrcoop; 05-27-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
You set a High Pass?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
You set a High Pass?
yes...20hz...actually added a shelf so down to 17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Using the Inuke software check your input levels while those scenes are playing and see if the signal the Inuke is receiving is being clipped. With that high of a sub trim level you may be sending a clipped signal to the Inuke, which could cause some weird sounds/issues with the output.

If the input level looks fine I'd double check to make sure your HPF is actually on and activated.

At only 600w in the Full Marty with a HPF at 17hz, the DS4-18 should not be anywhere close to going into over excursion. When modeled, the excursion is closer to 1/2 of the xmax of the driver. What SPL level were you getting during those scenes?

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
Using the Inuke software check your input levels while those scenes are playing and see if the signal the Inuke is receiving is being clipped. With that high of a sub trim level you may be sending a clipped signal to the Inuke, which could cause some weird sounds/issues with the output.

If the input level looks fine I'd double check to make sure your HPF is actually on and activated.

At only 600w in the Full Marty with a HPF at 17hz, the DS4-18 should not be anywhere close to going into over excursion. When modeled, the excursion is closer to 1/2 of the xmax of the driver. What SPL level were you getting during those scenes?
I never did check the spl level during those scenes. I will when I get a chance. I just took all the drivers out and put everything in the garage until they go to there permanent home. But may bring them back out again and play with them one more time, because its bugging me...wife is not keen on those big ass boxes in the living room.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
You may have something loose in the sub that only shows up at higher spl. I have a couple of Marty's in a large room and they are tough to bottom out. Any PEQ boost?

Last edited by derrickdj1; 05-27-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
You may have something loose in the sub that only shows up at higher spl. I have a couple of Marty's in a large room and they are tough to bottom out. Any PEQ boost?
No, pretty much plug and played, other then level matching, set the distances, and set the hpf. Think I may not worry about it until it gets moved to the theater. Iam only concerned cause both subs are doing it. Iam sure once it's in the main room, I should be able to figure it out...just gonna bug me until then.
derrickdj1 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
double check the tightness on all screws and also check to see if there is a leak in the box (air tight). I have read about this problem before and sometimes its the wood in a non airtight seal rattling. good luck.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post
Have the sub level pretty high on yamaha aventage avr...around +7.
inuke is set to the 3:00 position.
Is there a particular reason you're running the sub level that hot when it will be attenuated back down at the iNuke? Setting the iNuke attenuator knob to max means it will pass the incoming signal to the amp stage untouched. Then you could lower the level in the AVR and eliminate the potential of clipping the signal.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
As Ketnis said, the AVR should be at 0db to avoid digital clipping.

The inuke has all the boost in the world between the knob on the front and the gain button in the software.

You should record the cone so that we can hear/see it.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
As Ketnis said, the AVR should be at 0db to avoid digital clipping.

The inuke has all the boost in the world between the knob on the front and the gain button in the software.

You should record the cone so that we can hear/see it.

Yea, I was thinking that ketnis may be right. I was concerned that max gain on the Inuke would be worse, but I guess that's not correct. I will run the Inuke at max and lower the gain on the avr and see what happens. Gonna make sure I had the driver bolted down tight too...may not of in fear of stripping taking drivers in and out, tho I did use 3/4 birch for the inner baffle to hopefully avoid that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page