• 1 Post By Mattcc22

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 64
RSS315HO-4 12 vs Ultimax 12

Hey guys, I am looking to build a small sealed enclosure for my living room. Looking at 12" as that will be enough. Between these 2 subs, what's the best option?

Pros and cons from what I see are the RSS is cheaper, has a smaller box and looks like it can handle more power.

The Ultimax I believe is just a better sub, but it needs a bigger box and its more expensive.

I am not looking for anything earth shattering or anything, just want some decent bass in a small sealed box.

OR are there any other options that are small and cheap?

Room size is 18x13 and open, but like I said, not looking for anything too crazy. I have a dedicated room for that already. Just looking for good as loud as I can get out of a small box bass if that makes sense. If I were to compare it, I would be looking at something like the JL subs which are small and have good output.

And in this instance, size does matter.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Don't know if this helps, but from what I understand the Reference line is a little better at the upper end of the scale, while the ultimax series really hits the low end....

So, movies Id say Ultimax, for music Id lean toward the Reference series....
LTD02 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5776
This is where speaker modeling software comes in.
uniquepattern likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
Beyond speaker modelling, the only thing that I'd add, is that the UM is made of a carbon fiber like substance, so if you did manage to bottom it out, it won't deform like a metal or paper cone would. (Assuming the voicecoil survives, of course...)
uniquepattern likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 861 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
the 390HO offers better sensitivity on the top end, costs about the same, and is probably about the same on the low end as the um12. it can work in a very small enclosure despite being a 15" driver. many folks have built using that sub with good effect. one won't be enough sealed to really "crush it" but a pair would be a great start for what you are looking for. if later you decide to go ported, then the same driver can be used an you will pick up a LOT of output. if you purchased two of those drivers and put them in a dual opposed cab of 4.5-5.0 cubic feet, you would have a close copy of one of the more famous subs. ;-) two separate enclosures would be best for bass response though, as cancellations and modes tend to be a big problem and multiple units help greatly in those areas.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--295-469

btw, usable excursion on the driver is much more than the ~12mm indicated on the spec sheet. good inductance control will provide a clean top end for music applications as well. not the most excursion per dollar, but a great all around performer.

blue line is two sealed cabs with 1kw peak on each driver.

green line is two ported cabs, same driver, same power, 5 cubes each tuned to 20hz. <--that would actually be enough to satisfy most folks who are looking to have some fun with bass, but not go absolutely nutz.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub.png
Views:	817
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1485025  

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 861 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
a flat pack that will get you pretty close to that green line is here:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...be/cube15.html

(and no, i don't get a commission)

this would be a decent option for the sealed version:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/sealed-...flat-pack.html

if you need a flat pack or are just looking for a design idea.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Q: "size matters" - is it the cubic, or footprint? If you're looking at parts-express bundles, the Ultimax 12 is out_of_stock (ETA: late September). Downside: box is bigger, but the increased efficiency & low end extension probably moot the slightly higher power handling capabilities of the RSS315HO-4.

Small footprint pre-fab? I'd suggest going w/dual RSS315HO-4 (12"), or even RSS265HO-4 (10").
If you're building yr own (& unconstrained as to height), you might take a look at LTD02's I-Clʘps small footprint ported design.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks for all the input guys.

Essentially it will be used for everyday TV/movie/music listening at low-moderate volume. I just want more low end as my speakers right now are small and don't produce much, or any low bass.

By comparison I was thinking of getting the SVS SB-2000 but thought I can get more bang for my buck going DIY. I like the size and form factor of the SVS.

Thanks LTDO2 for the info. Although I would like to go ported, that is just too big. Height, width and depth all come into factor. That's why I was intrigued by the RSS because it is a smaller box than the Ultimax. If the output is very close, then being in a smaller box makes it good for me. Almost like the SVS.

I am ok with it not going as low as the Ultimax (although I guess that depends on how low the sub will go, like if it only goes down to 40, then yeah, that's a no go).

I would be looking at the Partsexpress Bundle for both the Ultimax and RSS.

Should I be looking at the HO or HF model? What is the difference between them?

Last edited by 04rex; 06-08-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 583
If you intend to keep listening levels moderate, you can always go small sealed and use an amplifier with built in DSP or an outboard DSP to boost the low end. Great option for smaller listening spaces and/or more moderate output goals.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

Essentially it will be used for everyday TV/movie/music listening at low-moderate volume. I just want more low end as my speakers right now are small and don't produce much, or any low bass.

By comparison I was thinking of getting the SVS SB-2000 but thought I can get more bang for my buck going DIY. I like the size and form factor of the SVS.

Thanks LTDO2 for the info. Although I would like to go ported, that is just too big. Height, width and depth all come into factor. That's why I was intrigued by the RSS because it is a smaller box than the Ultimax. If the output is very close, then being in a smaller box makes it good for me. Almost like the SVS.

I am ok with it not going as low as the Ultimax (although I guess that depends on how low the sub will go, like if it only goes down to 40, then yeah, that's a no go).

I would be looking at the Partsexpress Bundle for both the Ultimax and RSS.

Should I be looking at the HO or HF model? What is the difference between them?

You want the HO version! and it will kick the crap outta that SVS....
post #11 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have two (2) RSS390HO drivers I could part with for a good price. One was barely used (practically new) and the other was used for about 1.5yrs in my living room. PM if interested.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So can everything in this thread also be said about the RSS460 vs UM 18? I've already asked the question in the Martysub thread but it seems a more specialized topic might do the trick.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossten View Post
So can everything in this thread also be said about the RSS460 vs UM 18? I've already asked the question in the Martysub thread but it seems a more specialized topic might do the trick.

Pretty much the same, yeah.... Just bigger drivers....

I was debating these two drivers too and figured Id probably go with the RSS460HO as I listen to music on my setup more then anything else... then I discovered StereoIntegrity and that idea went out the window pretty quick...

Last edited by uniquepattern; 06-08-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page