RCA cables with inuke and DIY sub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 37
RCA cables with inuke and DIY sub?

Excuse me if this is a stupid question -- my theater room is wired with regular RCA cables for subwoofers. I want to build a DIY sub or two and power them with an inuke 6000, which I would keep in the other room with the receiver, HTPC, etc. Running new XLR or speaker wire or whatever to the theater for these DIY subs is not really an option.

Can I just cut off the RCA ends in the theater and do this?

Last edited by curttard; 07-08-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 860 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
i had to delete my post because i think i read too quickly.

the rca cable in your wall is "low level" and designed to carry only a few volts and maybe 1 amp. it is probably 18-22 gauge or so.
in a typical setup, low level signal is sent from the avr to the sub plate amp, where it is then amplified. the wire from the plate amp to the woofer inside the box is speaker level and is probably 12-14 guage.
the output from the inuke to the subwoofers requires high level or speaker level wire designed to carry up to about high current. it would be 12 gauge or something like that.
if you want to put the amp next to the receiver, you will need a converter cable as you have shown in your post.
one can be made or purchased.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777
from the amp to the subwoofer in the room, you will need to run speaker level wire, such as 10-12 gauge in wall speaker wire such as this:
http://www.parts-express.com/belden-...-usa--102-1192

if you try to power your sub over the rca wire in your wall that exists now, you will set it on fire.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 08:34 PM

there are lots of ways to get wire from one spot to another behind walls without tearing everything apart.

"fish tape" is one tool electricians will frequency use to pull wire behind walls. it may help you pull the speaker wire.

it is solid wire that you can "push" behind the wall/ceiling etc. then you hook the speaker wire to it and "pull" the fish tape back out and it drags the speaker wire along behind the wall. if you have an attic over the room or an open basement under the room, that makes running wire particularly easy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I can vouch about those Monoprice cables, they work great.
I use an RCA "Y" splitter from my receiver's sub out into two RCA's, then one of those monoprice RCA > XLR cables on each, and each of those go into an Ep4000.
It would be the same for you, OP, except you don't need a Y cable because only one amp.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I've got fish tape, but running wires is really not an option; the insulation in the walls is rigid so you can't run anything through there -- it's filling the space between the wall and the studs.

Bummer for me I guess. I'll keep watching classifieds for used SVS or whatever.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post
Yeah, I've got fish tape, but running wires is really not an option; the insulation in the walls is rigid so you can't run anything through there -- it's filling the space between the wall and the studs.

Why not opt for plate amps for your subwoofers?
I know they aren't ideal, and probably cost more then an Inuke6000 for the power you get.
But, in the spirit of DIY, I'm sure you could buy the Dayton 1000w plate amp or if you want something really juicy, grab the speakerpower ones and make it work.
(If I'm understanding how your setup is wired)
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:

one alternative is to use plate amps. that way no new wire as to be pulled.

the pa460 driver is about $99.

a 250 watt plate amp is $140.

that's only $240 per sub (exclusing mdf). two such subs could equal a pb13u on the low end and beat it for mid bass.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-803

9 c.f. per cab (about the size of a so-called minimarty) tuned to 22hz gets you this. red is pa460 subs with 35 volts vs measured max output from the pb13u.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9cfat22hz.png
Views:	465
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1536305  

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-09-2016, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. I need a flatpack, as I have no wood skills or tools to speak of. Those seem bigger than I was hoping for -- I was going to go with the usual 18" Ultimax and sealed flatpack. Those are 4 cu ft, which is probably as big as I can get because it's a small room and the subs have to fit between the sofa and the screen. The screen is 18" off the ground and I think around 20" in from the wall on each side.

What's the deal with plate amps? No EQ? And do they make noise (fan)?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting. I need a flatpack, as I have no wood skills or tools to speak of. Those seem bigger than I was hoping for -- I was going to go with the usual 18" Ultimax and sealed flatpack. Those are 4 cu ft, which is probably as big as I can get because it's a small room and the subs have to fit between the sofa and the screen. The screen is 18" off the ground and I think around 20" in from the wall on each side.

What's the deal with plate amps? No EQ? And do they make noise (fan)?
I think LTD was just trying to show how easy it is to beat commercial offerings, even with a relatively cheap driver like the pa460.
The Ultimax 18" are great drivers, and 4cu ft sealed is basically a perfect match.

Most plate amps are passive, and have a huge metal case or heatsink on them, so no noise.
Some of them have a few bands of PEQ to smooth things out, some of them don't.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-809

Dayton 1000w plate amp is a bit pricey but would be a good match for an Ultimatax-18 and I believe it has a few bands of PEQ on it.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-09-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 600
You can place the iNukes near the subs, and use a standard RXA cable with an RCA to TS adapter. XLR is not needed.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
You can place the iNukes near the subs, and use a standard RXA cable with an RCA to TS adapter. XLR is not needed.
I didn't want to keep the inuke in the theater, since I understand the fan is quite noisy without modding the fans (something I'm not really looking to get into).
post #12 of 14 Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
I didn't want to keep the inuke in the theater, since I understand the fan is quite noisy without modding the fans (something I'm not really looking to get into).
FWIW, I have the Inuke 3000DSP in my living room sitting literally directly underneath my couch and it does not bother me in the slightest. My room is not super quiet, but the only time I even notice the fan is during really quite scenes, and even then if I'm not listening for the fan and actually paying attention to the movie I don't hear it at all.

If your amps were placed with the subs and the subs were say 10-12ft from you MLP I'm willing to bet you wouldn't notice them much. A lot of the guys that complain about being able to hear them have dedicated theater rooms with very low noise ceilings making the fan noise more apparent. I'd say buy one, try it out and if the fan noise is too much just return it. Could end up saving you a bunch of money and not having to buy a plate amp...

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #13 of 14 Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If you are only worried about fan noise in the iNukes--consider a Crown amp. Various other threads here have comparisons of the different models. No cable pulling required--maybe just the RCA to XLR adaptor.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page