Its update time! Before I begin with pics, please try to ignore my disgusting garage. Its an embarassment right now, but subs don't wait for a nice work area
Yesterday morning the wife and I headed down by Mike to pick these bad boys up. We got them all loaded up in the wife's car
Mike was nice enough to demo is theater for the wife real quick. It of course, shocked, amazed, and impressed like always
Once I got the subs back home I started by getting rid of the excess PL that oozed out during assembly.
The box that all of the strips are piled on was the worst box of the bunch. This was the one box I had started to assemble myself and had a hard time with. Mike was able to rescue it, but it was definitely the roughest of the bunch.
Moving on, here are all of the boxes ready to be sanded. You can see I have the old favorite orbital sander, and also a belt sander. I really only used the belt sander a couple times, and it was mostly that one box.
First box pretty much all sanded and ready for mud.
Here is kind of a bad before sanding pic. You can see, it doesn't need a whole lot of work. This was how 90% of it all went, just some 120 on the orbital and it was good to go.
I actually tried twice to take a before and after of the same shot. Both times I just kept working after I sanded that side. So here are some shots of the back of a box after sanding.
Of course after sanding comes mud! I used spackle instead of drywall mud, but its the same idea. Here is the back of one of the boxes.
Ends of two more
You can see that not a whole lot of mud was needed. Most of the surfaces were like this. Keep in mind, this is before sanding.
Here are some after sanding shots on the face of a box. The fronts needed the most work, but I think that had to do with our order of assembly more than anything. After we finished I think Mike and I both though that a different method would have worked a little better, but you can never know that until after you are done. Anyway, it still needed minimal prep for paint all things considered, but as you can see it does need more than the rest of the box.
That was all I was able to get done in yesterdays heat. You cant tell from the sporadic pics, but one whole box is mudded, one just needs the ends done, and two need the front and back done. Again with hindsight being 20/20 and all, I could have set the boxes up better to mud them more efficiently, but that's OK. I need to decide if I want to prime these or not, and if so go get some primer. I am hoping to have paint on all of them by the end of the day, but we will see. Stay tuned!