Broke EF & eng-399 I-CLOps build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Broke EF & eng-399 QUAD I-CLOps build

I am going to try and keep the words to a minimum since I have a lot of pics to post. So a while back my room was starting to finish up and I needed subs! Like everyone I was concerned with space, cost, and of course performance. After a TON of back and forth, and asking questions, and bothering everyone I decided on DIY. After that milestone, I then started all over with all of the questions and bothering everyone. One day I stumbled into a thread where @corradizo was suggesting 4 sealed Infinity subs with a single iNuke 3000DSP to power them. His post sound like a perfect option for me, so I was pretty much on board.

The next day I found THIS thread for the I-CLOps boxes designed by the great @LTD02 . Reading over that convinced me to use these boxes for the Infinity subs I had ordered up instead of the 2cu Ft sealed boxes. Just made more sense for me to get the extra boost from a ported box since I could fit them in my room.

Fast forward a bit and I grabbed 4 sheets of 4' X 8' 3/4" MDF to start building and slapped a box together to test.

I did a quick sweep with the sub in that location, which was just the first place I set it down. I was pretty impressed to say the least!!!

I quickly got busy cutting the rest of the wood

I made a huge mess!

Months went by, and I didn't do much with the subs. I did decide to spend a day moving the box around the 4 different locations to try and find what the best orientation would be. Here are the results of that (which was over 30 different sweeps )

SO all of those measurements were with the mic in the same spot, no EQ, and no changes to the amp settings at all, just different placement. The graphs are smoothed 1/12 octave, but I did check the other day and there was barely any change with no smoothing or VAR smoothing. In fact, here is the graphs for the front right (I think) with all three.

eng-399, LTD02 and sonichart like this.

Last edited by Broke EF; 07-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That brings us to today when I was able to nail down the infamous @eng-399 and solicit his help in building these things. Last night I got the wife's car all loaded up and ready to head down first thing in the morning.

Got the car unloaded. Here you can see just how fast Mike is moving all the time!

Made up the last few cuts and cleaned up

All ready to go!

Got the first one glued up

Braces glued to the back port panel

Box 2 all glued up

Box 3 all glued up

All 4 drying

Mike had to entertain his kids (who were some of the best behaved kids I have met BTW) so I took off after we came up with a plan. I came home to my new circle jig.

Mounted up to a buddies router, all ready to go

This thing was AWESOME!!!!!

All 4 ready to go!

I had to lay out where the braces were going to land to make sure everything was going to work out.

I am glad that these are actually going to end up facing my walls. This is annoying as hell, but then again they are very inexpensive, so I cant complain more.

Drilled up the mounting holes.

Then installed my mounting tabs.

I cant remember where I saw these first, but someone on AVS made some out of billet aluminum. I was able to punch these out of 1/4" aluminum and tapped them 10-32. I also made a bunch tapped 1/4-20 in case I get some big boy subs later. Before anyone asks, I am not selling these. I think the guy who made them up first IS selling them, and his are WAY WAY nicer than these. I will try and find his info and update here.

Moving on, all 4 of those are now done.

While I was working at home, Mike was chipping away at the boxes at his place too!

He started gluing the tops on, but I must have forgotten to upload that pic. I am sure he will be in here with updates soon. I really cant thank him enough for all of his help and hospitality. I am so damn excited to get these things finished up and shaking my house! It shouldn't be too long now!!!

Sean
eng-399, sonichart and LTD02 like this.

Last edited by Broke EF; 07-16-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #3 of 98 Old 07-16-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 548 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 5006
Broke EF & eng-399 I-CLOps build

Today was fun Sean! We still have a little more to go but there coming along good as all your pictures have shown. My kids even helped paint these to lol. This week I'll finish up the slot panel piece on all of them followed by all the bracing. I really can't wait to hear these at Sean's house since I have 8 of these infintys to nearfield. This is a fun build!!

Yes I know I need to clean my garage
Broke EF, sonichart and JCJetta like this.

Last edited by eng-399; 07-17-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Today was fun Sean! We still have a little more to go but there coming along good as all your pictures have shown. My kids even helped paint these to lol. This week I'll finish up the slot panel piece on all of them followed by all the bracing. I really can't wait to hear these at Sean's house since I have 8 of these infintys to nearfield. This is a fun build!!
That's right, how could I forget about the kids lending a helping hand! As I said before, you have some great kids! I had a blast today, and we really made some great progress on these things.

Sean
post #5 of 98 Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got some updates from eng-399 today!

This is actually from yesterday.

But these are from today!

Moving right along!

Sean
sonichart, eng-399 and mp3coupe like this.
post #6 of 98 Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
LTD02 for president!! (eng-399 for veep!)

SO this is what happens when I go camping and disconnect for a few days!! Those boxes are coming along beautifully!! Mike's the man and his kids are simply amazing.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Also, @Broke EF please check your PM box!!
eng-399 and JCJetta like this.
post #7 of 98 Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These things are moving right along all thanks to @eng-399 ! I will post some pics later if he doesn't.

As these are wrapping up, I have some questions about finishing them. I am using the Rustoleum(sp) 4X Deck paint with a roller. Do I need to spackle the edges with this method? What about primer? Should I expect this to cover in 1 coat or 2? I am hoping I can get them painted and installed between Saturday and Sunday. I am assuming I can get the first coat on around noon on Saturday.

Sean
post #8 of 98 Old 07-22-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #9 of 98 Old 07-22-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
You are moving along on the project. You have a router: I should of got you to build my subs this summer, lol. Keep on pushin'!
post #10 of 98 Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
You are moving along on the project. You have a router: I should of got you to build my subs this summer, lol. Keep on pushin'!
You can say that again!

Hopefully finishing goes well tomorrow, I want these up and running Sunday.

Also I do not have a router, I borrowed it from a buddy. I did buy the circle jig though which is pretty awesome!

Sean
eng-399, derrickdj1 and mp3coupe like this.
post #11 of 98 Old 07-22-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Broke EF & eng-399 I-CLOps build

What a hot day it was building these. Sean and my self got the baffles on during the heat of the day. I think I lost a few pounds doing this. Next will be fun sanding and the finish work then paint. I recommend lots of small coats of drywall mud let dry and sand and re apply. I never used the paint your going to do this in but I think I might be close to duratex. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of these and hearing how they sound. I have a good feeling your going to really happy with them!b Today was fun!
Broke EF likes this.
post #12 of 98 Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Nice boys! With the restore I used zinnser dark tinted primer. Look at my clampless thread in my sig. I talk about how I did the flatpacks with restore 4x.
eng-399 likes this.
post #13 of 98 Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its update time! Before I begin with pics, please try to ignore my disgusting garage. Its an embarassment right now, but subs don't wait for a nice work area

Yesterday morning the wife and I headed down by Mike to pick these bad boys up. We got them all loaded up in the wife's car

Mike was nice enough to demo is theater for the wife real quick. It of course, shocked, amazed, and impressed like always Once I got the subs back home I started by getting rid of the excess PL that oozed out during assembly.

The box that all of the strips are piled on was the worst box of the bunch. This was the one box I had started to assemble myself and had a hard time with. Mike was able to rescue it, but it was definitely the roughest of the bunch.

Moving on, here are all of the boxes ready to be sanded. You can see I have the old favorite orbital sander, and also a belt sander. I really only used the belt sander a couple times, and it was mostly that one box.

First box pretty much all sanded and ready for mud.

Here is kind of a bad before sanding pic. You can see, it doesn't need a whole lot of work. This was how 90% of it all went, just some 120 on the orbital and it was good to go.

I actually tried twice to take a before and after of the same shot. Both times I just kept working after I sanded that side. So here are some shots of the back of a box after sanding.

Of course after sanding comes mud! I used spackle instead of drywall mud, but its the same idea. Here is the back of one of the boxes.

Ends of two more

You can see that not a whole lot of mud was needed. Most of the surfaces were like this. Keep in mind, this is before sanding.

Here are some after sanding shots on the face of a box. The fronts needed the most work, but I think that had to do with our order of assembly more than anything. After we finished I think Mike and I both though that a different method would have worked a little better, but you can never know that until after you are done. Anyway, it still needed minimal prep for paint all things considered, but as you can see it does need more than the rest of the box.

That was all I was able to get done in yesterdays heat. You cant tell from the sporadic pics, but one whole box is mudded, one just needs the ends done, and two need the front and back done. Again with hindsight being 20/20 and all, I could have set the boxes up better to mud them more efficiently, but that's OK. I need to decide if I want to prime these or not, and if so go get some primer. I am hoping to have paint on all of them by the end of the day, but we will see. Stay tuned!

Sean
LTD02, cuzed2, brian6751 and 2 others like this.
post #14 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I-Clops are looking great!
Mike has become a prolific box-builder master

Sean,
Not being too forward - but I would love to hear these once you have them dialed in, "hint - hint".
I have a feeling that these will turn out to be yet another awesome value proposition (equaling or surpassing the VBSS, depending on ones application)
eng-399 and Broke EF like this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #15 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Cuzed! We will have to figure something out for you to come check these things out when I get them done.

I do think these are an under rated option for a good budget setup. I was talking about this with eng-399 on Friday, and its crazy to think I am about $600 all in on these. You can see how one performed in my room already, but 4 ported 12's with ~3000 watts of DSP power for about $600!!! How can that not be a contender for most guys. The boxes are actually pretty easy to build, and a lot easier with a second set of hands. Just follow LTD-02's plans and you're all set. I cant wait for final measurements with all 4 going

Since I am here I may as well update with Sundays festivities! Not a whole lot to look at, so I will go with just pics.

Mud

Sand

Mud

Sand

Mud

Can you guess whats coming next?!?!?! That's right, SAND!!!!

That was all of the exciting pics for yesterday. I didn't really feel like dealing with the heat and humidity yesterday. I did get the last of the mud on, which I will sand today. I am planning on stopping by Home Depot on my way home from work and looking at primer. I think I want to put down a high build primer to really get the surface 100%, but if I have to get it in spray form that may be too spendy for me. We will see what options they have. I am also trying to decide if I want to bevel or round the edges, or leave them as is. I think it can look cool with a bevel or round over, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Stay tuned for more updates!
Sean
cuzed2 and LTD02 like this.
post #16 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
Thanks Cuzed! We will have to figure something out for you to come check these things out when I get them done.

I do think these are an under rated option for a good budget setup. I was talking about this with eng-399 on Friday, and its crazy to think I am about $600 all in on these. You can see how one performed in my room already, but 4 ported 12's with ~3000 watts of DSP power for about $600!!! How can that not be a contender for most guys. The boxes are actually pretty easy to build, and a lot easier with a second set of hands. Just follow LTD-02's plans and you're all set. I cant wait for final measurements with all 4 going

Since I am here I may as well update with Sundays festivities! Not a whole lot to look at, so I will go with just pics.

Mud

Sand

Mud

Sand

Mud

Can you guess whats coming next?!?!?! That's right, SAND!!!!

That was all of the exciting pics for yesterday. I didn't really feel like dealing with the heat and humidity yesterday. I did get the last of the mud on, which I will sand today. I am planning on stopping by Home Depot on my way home from work and looking at primer. I think I want to put down a high build primer to really get the surface 100%, but if I have to get it in spray form that may be too spendy for me. We will see what options they have. I am also trying to decide if I want to bevel or round the edges, or leave them as is. I think it can look cool with a bevel or round over, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Stay tuned for more updates!
Sean
Sean,

I would suggest you strongly consider going with a round-over. I have done this with all of my builds (in the beginning I was a little nervous that I would mess something up - but with mdf it really went well). I will be interested in following your final finish on these - I'm sure it will be very professional
Broke EF likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #17 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
You're doing a good job and moving right along. You will love this setup and have some great bass at the end of the day. On a few subs, I put the driver in after moving the boxes to the HT. The last couple of subs, I put the driver in while still in the garage. The subs are a bit more to move with the drivers in the box but, if any problems with alignment, it is easier to fix near all the tool.
Broke EF likes this.
post #18 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

sorry about the quote instead of the quick reply - my bad!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #19 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Sean,

I would suggest you strongly consider going with a round-over. I have done this with all of my builds (in the beginning I was a little nervous that I would mess something up - but with mdf it really went well). I will be interested in following your final finish on these - I'm sure it will be very professional
Well I have a 3/8" round over that my buddy lent me with his router. I think I would want something more like 1/2", what do you think? I ran a practice piece with the bevel bit just to see, it was pretty easy so I am not too worried about doing something on them. I do think that doing something would be nice. One it will finish them a bit more, but also that hard edge seems easy to chip. I am sure it will be harder once I paint, but still.

I hope my finish comes out as good as you think it will If there is one thing I know about finish work is that its all in the prep. So far these are coming out really nice and smooth. I just need to not rush it and they should be nice.

Sean
post #20 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I have a 3/8" round over that my buddy lent me with his router. I think I would want something more like 1/2", what do you think? I ran a practice piece with the bevel bit just to see, it was pretty easy so I am not too worried about doing something on them. I do think that doing something would be nice. One it will finish them a bit more, but also that hard edge seems easy to chip. I am sure it will be harder once I paint, but still.

I hope my finish comes out as good as you think it will If there is one thing I know about finish work is that its all in the prep. So far these are coming out really nice and smooth. I just need to not rush it and they should be nice.

Sean
I have done the round-overs at both 3/8" and 1/2".
IMO 3/8 was not quite enough on my larger boxes, I think you will be happy at 1/2"
Broke EF likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #21 of 98 Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Allow me to tell you all a story. It starts last Monday, or was it Sunday? Well whatever, it was some time last week. I came up with the great idea to give up caffeine. I have no idea what drove me to do this since it really makes no sense. Whatever the reason was, it has been hell ever since. If you look up caffeine withdrawal symptoms I have them all. Super tired, unable to focus, massive headaches that are so bad they make me nauseous as the day goes on. Its a real fun time.

The good news is that now a bit over a week later its starting to simmer down. What the hell does this have to do with good bass you may be asking?!?! Nothing really, I just wanted to tell you a story Actually it does play into today's activities, so it wasn't all for not.

Today as work was winding down I only had a "normal" headache, but was getting really tired. On my way home today I had planned on stopping at Menards to get some primer since Home Depot didn't have the stuff I want. On the way home I was being semi lazy and was thinking "Man, I really don't want to go to Menards, its so far out of the way" I had this thought as I was driving past the same Menards I drive past twice a day, EVERYDAY!!! I was all the way in the right lane of a 3 lane road, so that was a no go. Brain fart #1.

I get home, ate some dinner, and passed out on the couch. Shortly after fell into blissful sleep, I woke up to this in my face

Obviously that pic is not when I woke up, but you get the point. He probably wanted to go kill a rabbit or whatever, but it got me up and moving again. I got out into the garage and sanded the last of the mud.

Then I tried to decide on whether or not to router the edges. After some thought I decided on doing the top and the bottom. So I grabbed the router and did the back of a box :/

Yep, brain fart #2 totally thought I was routing the top of the box, and when I went to flip it over I discovered it was the back. Oh well, I think it still looks good!

Thats all for my long pointless story. Tomorrow I will remember that I pass a Menards on the way home, and stop in for the primer. I may not lay it down till Thursday though. Stay tuned for more mistakes

Sean
post #22 of 98 Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sean,

Are you still "caffeine-free" ?
Just wanted to comment that those round-overs look good, nice job.

Craig

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #23 of 98 Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Sean,

Are you still "caffeine-free" ?
Just wanted to comment that those round-overs look good, nice job.

Craig
I am which is unfortunate since I couldn't get to sleep last night.

Thanks, I went with the 1/2" BTW. I am slightly upset I did the wrong edges, but nobody will know and it looks fine this way. I am glad that I rounded them over though. It looks a lot more "professional". Cant wait to get the paint on these bad boys!

Sean
cuzed2 likes this.
post #24 of 98 Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #25 of 98 Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its that time again, UPDATE TIME!!!!!

So I ended up doing nothing on Wednesday because I had to do some running around after work. Yesterday I finally stopped and got some primer, and was ready to go! I primed most of the surfaces yesterday with Rustoleum High Build primer. I do highly recommend this stuff for painting MDF, though I think for the subs it was pointless. More on that in a sec, but I used it when I did my little computer speakers and it worked great! It worked great on the subs as well, but I think with this deck paint being so thick it wasn't needed. I actually only primed some of the boxes because I was lazy about moving everything around yesterday. I have now painted over both primed and not primed areas and I cant see which is which.

Anyway, lets get to the good stuff, PICS!!!!! I didn't get any pics of the primer for whatever reason so we are right into paint. First off, this stuff (Rustoleum 4X deck paint) is INSANELY thick! Think brownie batter, possibly thicker than that even depending how you make your brownies. My drill almost couldn't mix it up, I had to have it in the high torque mode for it to turn at all, and even like that it had a hard time. CRAZY.

This does a poor job of conveying how thick it is.

Moving on, it was a bit of a pain to put on but it went well. I pretty much scooped it onto the surface and then just kept working it around to get a nice even coat. I was very happy with how it came out right away. I used a 4" wide roller just because I had throw away trays for it, and it was 3/8" nap.

Don't worry about the "stripes", they go away when it dries

I let they dry for around 5 hours and them moved them all around to get more done. Poor planning means I will need to do another round tomorrow morning, but thats OK. I got all of the holes drilled and counter sunk for he terminals and painted round two!

I will get pictures of it all dry tomorrow before I finish up with the last round of paint. It smooths out a lot more than what it looks like in the pics. Still has a nice texture, and like an eggshell type finish. I think it looks great! I should end up using right about a half gallon for all four boxes with one coat. I don't think I will do two which would give it more texture. I don't want to wait that long for my subs

For anyone doing some research, I would say to mud your joints and nail holes if you want a perfect finish. However, you can get away with skipping this step IMO if you have nice joints. If you did a flat pack, I would just sand and paint. I did not get some of the nail holes, and they did come through. I will get pics of that tomorrow to show what I mean. It does hide some crimes, but not all even though it is so thick. A second coat would probably take care of that small stuff though.

Well that is all for today boys and girls, come back tomorrow to see more progress!

Sean
LTD02 likes this.
post #26 of 98 Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice job! I noticed if I run my finger across mine, they kinda sand off dead skin (gross I know) and it leaves a mark. A wet rag takes care of it. Alternatively, you can roll on some clear to seal them up but it does give them a bit of a shine.
Broke EF likes this.
post #27 of 98 Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow nice finish work Sean!! these look like there ready roll. I think I'm going to try that paint for my next build. One more coat to go and there done.
Broke EF likes this.
post #28 of 98 Old 07-30-2016, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Wow nice finish work Sean!! these look like there ready roll. I think I'm going to try that paint for my next build. One more coat to go and there done.
I got a half gallon (or so) with your name on it!

I am only doing one coat since my patience is wearing out, but two would be idea. If I could start over I would round off the top and bottom like I wanted, fill in the nail holes, mud the seams like I did, and then two coats of paint without primer. I probably also would have used a 12" roller like I had initially planned.

All in all I am VERY happy with how they have turned out. I am really just nit picking small things that nobody will ever notice. But as always there is always something to be learned on a project.

Pics later today, the first one is all wired and assembled and looks great!!!

Sean
eng-399 likes this.
post #29 of 98 Old 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got a half gallon (or so) with your name on it!

I am only doing one coat since my patience is wearing out, but two would be idea. If I could start over I would round off the top and bottom like I wanted, fill in the nail holes, mud the seams like I did, and then two coats of paint without primer. I probably also would have used a 12" roller like I had initially planned.

All in all I am VERY happy with how they have turned out. I am really just nit picking small things that nobody will ever notice. But as always there is always something to be learned on a project.

Pics later today, the first one is all wired and assembled and looks great!!!

Sean
The other half gallon is at my place is anyone needs any! The stuff goes a long way. Can't wait for you to fire these up! Northern burb gtg!!
eng-399 likes this.
post #30 of 98 Old 07-30-2016, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I have the front two wired up and, the inuke isn't happy. It SHOULD be a 4ohm load, I wired each sub to 2, then together to 4. I adjusted the amp very quick, turned down the level to 0 on the receiver and it clips almost instantly at -10.

I need to actually finish this all up and get it actually leveled with the mic. I will try and not worry about it until then. For now I need to cut the grass and then cook some dinner. Then come the rears, adjustment, and pics for all of you guys.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page