I am in the process of building a HT in my basement (non-dedicated), and have just completed my LCR and surround purchase and installation (NHT M7's and C1's). I have been spending a lot of time in the (purchased) Subwoofer forum learning about subs and trying to figure out which subs to purchase.
Background & Expectations
- My basement is 8400 cuft as shown in this attachment.
- I am currently thinking about purchasing (2) subs (either high-power 15" or 18" like the Rythmik FV15HP, JTR Cap118HT or PSA V1800) in the locations shown on the layout
- Purchasing the subs above would constitute a budget of about $2600
- I have HTiB sub now (110w 10") that I got as a gift until I can complete my HT; so I don't have a solid baseline that I'm trying to exceed (although I'm hoping to avoid upgradeitis!)
- We enjoy movies (80%) and Music (20%) as a family
- Because the room is not dedicated (or sealed from the rest of the house), most of the listening will be at lower listening volumes (-20 to -10)
- Every once in awhile we will want to 'crank it for fun' (video or top 40/dance). I plan to add Motion Actuators to supplement and allow "fun at lower volumes".
- Sound Quality is a higher priority than SPL.
- I'm pretty sure I want ported subs due to room size
My qualifications (limitations) for DIY
- I do not have the skill (or desire) to design my own system, but I can follow directions/plans that are known and proven (simpler is better!
- I am mechanical by nature, and can perform simple electrical work
- I have a brother in-law that can help me with some woodworking, as I am limited in the tools I have (and little interest to fill my garage for one project)
- The DIY plan needs to include enough design detail that I can implement
I have posted a few questions/comments in the subwoofer forum, and a few people have suggested that I consider DIY as I will get similar performance with higher value/lower cost.
I have a couple of ideas of how I would DIY if it made sense for me.
: I think that a pair of these subs (Rythmik FV15HP, JTR Cap118HT or PSA V1800) would meet my needs.
: Is there a DIY plan that is similar to the subs that I am considering now, with a similar size and SQ?
: My wife would (eventually) like me to add a built-in bench along the backwall of our HT area (see second attached image). This could be a great hiding place for (up to) four ported subs. I love the great execution that @16hz lover
: Is there a ported sub DIY plan that would allow me to put (4) boxes together, and still hide it with a sitting bench over top? (<18" tall, <23" deep, up to 10' wide total). I can wrap/hide the subs, but need help with picking the DIY subs
: Would my bass be very localized if I put all subs about 12' behind the MLP? (Do I need at least one sub in another location to eliminate localizing)?
Thanks in advance for your response(s)!