Would an inuke3000 suffice for 2 BK LFE's? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Would an inuke3000 suffice for 2 BK LFE's?

I posted this question over in the sub/bass area but figured some of you guys would be better suited to answer this. My Buttkicker amp finally died after 10 years so I need something to replace it with to drive my two LFE's. I currently use an inuke6000dsp to power a pair of UXL-18's and am happy with the product... I was thinking perhaps an inuke3000 would suffice to drive two BK LFE's? This option would run about $100+ less than getting a replacement BK amp but I believe would give me around the same amount of power. Any thoughts or suggestions here? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If those buttkickers are wired in parallel, yes. A Beheringer EP4000 is another viable option.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldkrd1 View Post
If those buttkickers are wired in parallel, yes. A Beheringer EP4000 is another viable option.
Thanks for the reply. How does the EP4000 compare to the inuke3000? Any real advantage of one over the other?

I feel like I was pretty lucky to get 10 years out of a Buttkicker amp as after reading through a bunch of threads on here there are plenty of horror stories out there from them failing long before that in many cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
How does the EP4000 compare to the inuke3000? Any real advantage of one over the other?
I've heard the EP4000 doesn't have a rolloff below 20hz like the inuke does, but don't quote me on that. At the lower frequencies the bk needs a lot less power so the rolloff probably doesn't make much difference.

Configuring the EP4000 requires careful reading of the manual and setting DIP switches, so that's a little bit of a pain. It's a heavier chassis than the inuke, but it can be rack-mounted.

The inuke is quite a bit less expensive. If I were buying it again, I'd get the inuke.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Understood, thanks for the insight.

I would imagine that the DSP model really isn't necessary for this application. The only real advantage I could see to having it would be to be able to boost slightly below 20hz, but other than that with it comes to transducers I don't really see the need for room correction software unless there's something I'm not considering.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM

You wouldn't need DSP, and you won't hurt for power. I have 4 LFEs wired in parallel presenting a two 2ohm loads to a single EP4000 2x2000watt (really 1500w). That gives each LFE something like 750 watts.

I'm going to amend my first statement. Yes, you could wire them in parallel and then connect them to a single channel of either the iNuke or EP4000, leaving you the other channel to power something else. Or you can connect one LFE per channel at 4ohms. The LFEs will see roughly the same amount of power but it's an easier load on the amp.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I don't have the Buttkickers but, use an I Nuke 3000 DSP for my TT's and the amp is a champ handling them. I did get the DSP version and found it help for the Aura Pro shakers. I was able to set the delay and also tailor the low end a bit.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've often questioned if power is really all that important for BK LFEs (relative to subs) anyway. I say this because my father and I have the same exact BK amp, purchased at the same time about 10 years ago. The difference is that mine is powering two LFEs where his is driving 3. If you read the wiring info on the BK amp, it shows that running 1 or 2 LFEs provides each with up to 1000W of power, and if you run 3 off of the amp you are only giving them up to 110W of power and it's NOT recommended. Finally, with 4 LFEs, the literature states 250W per LFE.

Anyway, with two LFEs hooked up to my amp I never ran the gain dial at past say 11:00. This is with my sub on the receiver set to 0 in terms of gain. When watching bass-heavy content at reference level I find this is the point where my LFEs are giving all they can. If I turn the gain up to 12:00, the LFEs start to slap and are being over driven.

Now, with my fathers setup he's got his gain on his BK amp at about 1:00, but with 3 LFEs wired to the single amp is still able to make them tap out when according to the amp specifications they aren't receiving over 110W. I've never been able to figure this one out. Having listened to and felt both of our systems a million times, he nor I can feel any difference at all in terms of LFE performance when in theory mine are capable of receiving 9X the power.

Anyway, I tell this story as I'm not really sure that it matters all too much how much power LFEs are given, for whatever reason based on my illustration above. Any thoughts on why this is the case?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
Any thoughts on why this is the case?
My understanding is that at the lower frequencies (5-15hz or so), the LFEs only need about 15 watts before they hit their limits. Even in a sub-optimal configuration like your father's is capable of that.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What about the rest of the frequency range, though? Certainly 5-15hz content is far less common than 20-80hz content and near as I can tell it all sounds equally impactful whether it's on my system or my fathers system.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Power rating is not the main thing with any TT's, they are all displacement limited.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Makes sense... I just don't want to spend money on a ton of power that I'll never have the ability to use I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page