DIY Speaker Cabinets for Manufactured Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DIY Speaker Cabinets for Manufactured Speakers?

I am trying to get myself a decent 7.1.4 AV system and I am getting tired of looking for the right speakers and just not finding anything to suit. The front 3 speakers are not really an issue as there are plenty of options, but matching surround speakers are proving to be difficult to find.

Over and over, I am finding that the speakers with the right performance are far too deep and/or cannot be wall mounted. I am at the point where I am out of options.

Can I buy a bookshelf type speaker and remove the drivers and crossover to put in a DIY enclosure, providing it matches the volume of the original design?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniCinema View Post

Over and over, I am finding that the speakers with the right performance are far too deep and/or cannot be wall mounted. I am at the point where I am out of options.

Can I buy a bookshelf type speaker and remove the drivers and crossover to put in a DIY enclosure, providing it matches the volume of the original design?
1) ANY speaker CAN be wall mounted.... just a matter of HOW.

2) In THEORY that would work...... in practice maybe not so much depending on the new cabinet.

3) There are 3 choices here..... keep searching, BUILD what you want or CHANGE your parameters.

** BTW this is a DIY forum and you CAN build a speaker just as good or BETTER than anything you could buy.

YMMV
post #3 of 11 Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
I am trying to get myself a decent 7.1.4 AV system and I am getting tired of looking for the right speakers and just not finding anything to suit. The front 3 speakers are not really an issue as there are plenty of options, but matching surround speakers are proving to be difficult to find.

Yes, you can. Just keep the original internal volume (include any bracing that may be in the speaker). The speaker sound may change minimally, due to the different sized baffle, But this typically is something you would not notice.

Before you go through all that trouble, you may want to check out the DIY Surround offerings at DIY Sound Group. They make some great options, that are wall mountable and sound great. Assuming they are in your price range.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the replies.

I do wish there was an easy answer. But if there was then I would already be sorted and happy.

Not sure that I could go full DIY, as I do not have the knowledge or experience. Not even feeling confident enough to follow through with my thoughts in the original post any more.

I guess I will have to buy something else and hopefully improve on things.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I do wish there was an easy answer. But if there was then I would already be sorted and happy.

Not sure that I could go full DIY, as I do not have the knowledge or experience. Not even feeling confident enough to follow through with my thoughts in the original post any more.

I guess I will have to buy something else and hopefully improve on things.
It really wouldn't be that hard to try. You should not have to damage the other speaker box. Assuming, your crossover is easy to take out. It should just be building a new box that fits the same dimensions as you old one. Check out this video, it may help. It shows how to determine box volume based off another enclosure.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
If you change the baffle dimensions or the placement of the drivers on the baffle, it will alter the sound of the speaker.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Not sure that I could go full DIY, as I do not have the knowledge or experience.
If you can build a new box, you're half way there.

I second the recommendation for a DIYSG coax, like this one http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial.../volt-6lx.html , and maybe one of the two box options will work for you.

If you're uncomfortable about the crossover assembly is intimidating, check out the build threads or find someone to solder them up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post
If you change the baffle dimensions or the placement of the drivers on the baffle, it will alter the sound of the speaker.
Likely not as much other things, like positioning and room acoustics, which ought to be addressed by the room correction that most every receiver and pre/pro has.

Noah
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 217
DSP will not fix all off axis anomalies that occur from the issues I mentioned above.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 956
I believe baffle effects are limited to where the baffle step is (in freq), and diffraction effects from the edges, which can easily be improved over the typical sharp edges of commercial speakers.

Noah
post #11 of 11 Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
If you're uncomfortable about the crossover assembly is intimidating, check out the build threads or find someone to solder them up for you.
I highly recommend Matt (mtg90).
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page