Fusion-15: Asian Night Sentinels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 14 Post By wasser

post #1 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Fusion-15: Asian Night Sentinels

This is my L/R Fusion 15 flat pack build.

The top and sides were laminated in Wilsonart Asian Night Laminate. The baffles were painted with Krylon Rust Tough Enamel Semi Flat Black. And I had mtg90 build my crossovers.

Overall impressions: These were mostly to be used for music and frequently loud. They do not disappoint. Although they are just in flatpacks the lower end output is very satisfying. I've often just run them in Direct mode and leave the subwoofer turned off. I haven't really used them for movies, but I've tested them without a center and for now that's how it'll stay. I might reevaluate that later, but movie watching isn't a priority with these.

Build and thoughts:
Unboxing
When the boxes arrived I was alarmed to see a large hole in one of the boxes. Thankfully, nothing was harmed inside. All the items were impressively wrapped and protected. Everything seemed perfect. As I looked closer I noticed the bottom corner of one of the baffles was dented and the mdf was frayed. At first I thought the baffle had been dropped, but then I noticed dents that in the corners of several pieces. Unfortunately, it was the baffle that had the most damage. It was minor damage and I was surprised it had happened despite all the padding. However, after inspecting the shipping boxes, I'm guessing it was dropped heavy on a corner at some point.

None of the parts were an issue except the baffle. Thankfully it was small enough I just glued the separating edge and did a little filling. After sanding and painting you couldn't tell.
Crossovers
The crossovers shipped quick, look beautiful (strange comment about crossovers?), and are absolute bricks. The service mtg90 provides is a great deal imho.
Laminate
Wow. Loved working with laminate. It was a bit intimidating at first. With paint or other wood finishes I know I can typically just sand it and start again if I needed to. The contact cement isn't so forgiving and I'd hate to make a mistake, so it's pretty essential to get things right.

After doing a test piece and gleefully looking at the results I hurried to do the flatpacks.
  • Samples
    First thing to do if you're considering laminate is to order samples. I don't know about others, but Wilsonart will send samples free of charge. I have a stack of 8x10 samples from them. The best thing about these samples is the fact that you can practice cutting, gluing, and trimming with them.
  • Cutting the laminate
There are multiple ways to cut laminate - table saw, circular saw, router, shears, and even just a razor blade. I purchased laminate shear and although it worked great, I had a challenging time keeping it running straight over long distances. In the end I just used a box cutter and a straight edge to cut the pieces.
  • Glue
I used DAP Weldwood Gel for my contact cement. It went on okay, but seemed to dry pretty quick as I applied it. The trickiest part was not getting it on the finished parts. I applied two coats to each piece and then J rollered them before trimming.

Next time I might try the regular, non-gel though.
  • Glue coverage
I used a 32 fl oz can. This was just about enough to cover the top and the left and right sides of each speaker and the laminate sheets with two coats. That's about 32 fl oz for about 60 sq ft.
  • Trimming
I just used a regular flush cut trim bit. Before trimming I masked the edges to protect them. After it was done I just hit the edges with some fine sand paper.
  • The Future
    I'd like to work with laminate again and I'll probably get a few dedicated laminate trim bits and a laminate router.
Baffling baffles
  • Paint: I first used zinnser bin, several coats of a black sandable primer, and then topped with the Krylon spray paint.
  • Gluing the baffle: I decided to finish the laminating the boxes first. The baffles were painted and then glued last. I was concerned I'd damage the paint while clamping, so I decided I'd clamp along the inside surfaces where the waveguide and the woofer screw in. The only area without this was at the bottom with the ports. There I masked the painted surface and used trigger clamps with soft pads. I masked all the edges with low tack tape and then glued the baffles. It was tricky getting them to line up properly, but I eventually managed. I pulled the tape while still wet and wiped everything down with a damp cloth.
Ports
  • I didn't like the texture on the ports, so I decided to sand them smooth and then paint them the same color as the baffle. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. It's hard to see in the image, but the texture on the port matches the baffle.

Unfortunately, I do not have a before picture.
Putting it all together
I'd neglected to dry fit the waveguide and the woofer and, after painting, was quite surprised when the waveguide didn't fit. I could have sanded the edges of the baffle, and I actually did just to smooth them out, but I decided to sand the edge of the waveguide instead. It took quite a bit of aggressive sanding, but I finally got enough material off the edges so they'd fit. I finished the edges down to some 320 sandpaper and you couldn't tell they'd been sanded after mounting.

Fortunately, this problem didn't exist with the woofer. They just slipped right in. That's good because sanding the metal frame wouldn't have been fun. However, it was at this time I found out the metal edge of the woofer basket is shiny metal.

At first this bothered me. I'd planned on a uniformly black front. If I'd noticed this at the start I probably would have painted it black, but I was too close to finishing to bother and slapped them together. It's still noticeable, but I'm not sure if it bothers me any more. It'll probably stay as is.
Other musings
I knew the 15" Deltalite woofer was "lite", but it's still pretty surprising just how light it is. Conversely the compression driver is surprising in its heft. That thing is heavy. Overall I was surprised in the weight of the build. I'd thought they would be challenging to move around, but they're pretty easy to handle.

Next up I need to build some stands.

Thanks to mtg90 for the design and the crossovers and thanks to Erich for cutting the wood, boxing and shipping the mass, and the patience with my order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8115-1.jpg
Views:	1478
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	1615129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8118-2.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	1615137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8115-1-2.jpg
Views:	1989
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	1615145  

Last edited by wasser; 08-21-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 5065
post #3 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Great job on the finish! Don't forget to post your listening impressions.

These are on my "upgradeitis" list.

/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
great story and pics.. gotta be very satisfying

and the Formica work , great choice

The silver ring on the driver -
I used a fat point Sharpy,
but you can't just draw around on the metal, it streaks and doesn't "build" to hide the shiny
but
if you use a succession of dots and "multiple" passes allowing it to dry, you can get it to (almost) disappear,
it may take some time . .

HTH

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looks great, are these in your living room or a dedicated theater and did that influence the choice of a nicer finish? What type of stands are you going to do?
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 870 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
awesome!

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Wasser, fantastic job on these! I bet they sound excellent.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks all for the kind words guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
The silver ring on the driver -
I used a fat point Sharpy,
but you can't just draw around on the metal, it streaks and doesn't "build" to hide the shiny
but
if you use a succession of dots and "multiple" passes allowing it to dry, you can get it to (almost) disappear,
it may take some time . .

HTH
Thanks for the interesting fix. That method definitely looks good on yours and I like the simplicity of the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post
Looks great, are these in your living room or a dedicated theater and did that influence the choice of a nicer finish? What type of stands are you going to do?
These are in the living room and, although my wife is pretty accommodating, I had to dress them up for her. I'm planning on a small cabinet with a door and some storage space. They'll be made out of layered 3/4" MDF to give them some heft. Originally I'd planned on finishing them similar to the speakers with black paint and the same laminate. Now I'm plotting out how I can get it done just with laminate. The durability of the laminate would be good, especially on the stands.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
Awesome job on those, they look great!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-21-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Awesome job on those, they look great!
Ditto. The finshed is just great!
post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I like the laminate work, pretty sweet

Current Setup
Emotiva XMC-1 Anthem MCA 5
Usher UA721 MLTL
Paul K Cantilenas
SI 18D2 Sealed Subwoofer
post #12 of 14 Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 609
These look incredible! Really nice job.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Gorgeous!
post #14 of 14 Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Very nice job, the laminate was a nice touch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page