Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question from a DIY Noob.

Hello All,
This story is on the longish side. Apologies in advance.

Way back in 2006 I purchased a set of Onix Rockets rs850 for a reasonable price. The seller mentioned that he had already purchased the boards that you could buy to upgrade the bass in the speakers as that was one of the weak points of these speakers. I negotiated that he install the boards prior to shipping which he said he would do. When they arrived they seemed to be in mint condition. I hooked them up and did an A/B comparison against my B&W 805's (bookshelf) speakers. That was a bad mistake as the speakers did not compare well at all. I found that the speakers had little or no bass at all and the upper end sounded muffled and not nearly as sharp as my 805's. I quickly disconnected them and left them in the corner of my home theater until now. We've recently moved and I don't know what to do with these things.

First off, the outer case is beautiful. I could happily live with these speakers in my new home theater IF they produced a good sound. I don't know if the previous owner of these things botched the board upgrade job and made these things sound bad (according to reviews at the time, they should have been at least decent). Here are my questions:

How would I go about determining if everything in the speaker is working normally?
Can the guts of these speakers be upgraded to produce a high-quality, full sound, without breaking the bank?
If the above answer is yes, where would I possibly get started?

I've attached pics of the speakers to show you that they really are pretty to look at...

Thanks for your feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1631897   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1631905   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1631913  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi TMah

I have RS850s that I upgraded from the original version to the Signature version. I did one at a time so I could do an A/B comparison of the change.
I did find that the change from original to Signature was a big improvement.

Does that sound like the upgrade that was to take place?

I ask because there were also some 3rd party places that made even more upgrades crossovers separately from AV123 (such as Skiing Ninja).

Perhaps one step to take would be to take a picture of the crossover inside the speaker to ensure which version is actually installed currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page