Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #181 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 340
It pretty much HAS to be in the processing of music. I cant even say its processing of 2 channel audio because REW is using 2 channels. It is very frustrating because it is SO specific of an issue, and it is also pretty much impossible to explain properly to people as demonstrated by a lot of this thread.

Run a sweep, sounds amazing
Watch a movie, sounds amazing
Play music, sounds like a boom box

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Maybe go buy an AVR, see if it fixes it and if not, take it back the same day? ;-)
post #183 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Maybe go buy an AVR, see if it fixes it and if not, take it back the same day? ;-)
Eh, too much effort. As annoying as this problem is, I never even really listen to music on that system anyway so it never really comes up. I still want it fixed, but I am neck deep into a dozen other projects around the house that take priority. If someone brings over a receiver (which will happen sooner or later) I will do some testing. Until then I will just be annoyed with it

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Had this same problem -- even stopped listening for some long while. Audyssey had EQed most of the bass out for one thing, but with my MARANTZ 7702, when I go to music from a CD source, there is no sub in the configuration unless I manually go into the menu and click on LFE + MAINS, giving you the bass from the main 2 front speakers over to the sub -- then the subs get added back into the configuration. Also learned to listen in ALL STEREO mode, not the other sonic modalities.

Making all those changes (start with cancelling the Audyssey corrections if you have them), brought the bass back, and if not, I do have sub boost, lowering the cut-off threshold to the speaker crossovers, or raising and lowering some versus others to make sure the speakers are not knocking out bass from each other or the subs from their unique positioning.
post #185 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Had this same problem -- even stopped listening for some long while. Audyssey had EQed most of the bass out for one thing, but with my MARANTZ 7702, when I go to music from a CD source, there is no sub in the configuration unless I manually go into the menu and click on LFE + MAINS, giving you the bass from the main 2 front speakers over to the sub -- then the subs get added back into the configuration. Also learned to listen in ALL STEREO mode, not the other sonic modalities.

Making all those changes (start with cancelling the Audyssey corrections if you have them), brought the bass back, and if not, I do have sub boost, lowering the cut-off threshold to the speaker crossovers, or raising and lowering some versus others to make sure the speakers are not knocking out bass from each other or the subs from their unique positioning.
I am not using any YAPO correction, have tried different sound modes, have verified that the subs are "on", and have also tried LFE+Mains. Best I can do, with MANY changes from my standard settings is some bass. There has been no configuration that can get me the same bass with music that I can get with a movie.

At this point I am convinced its the Receiver, and NOT a setting. At least not one I can find after all these months and going through everything I can find multiple times. If I swap the receiver and it has bass, I will chuck that Yamaha through a window!

Sean
Raker13 likes this.
post #186 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Couple silly things real quick:

I have an ART Cleanbox you can borrow. If you live in the city you posted on you profile, I work real close by at one of the larger employers in Hoffman Estates. I'd be happy to bring it and have you swing by. Of course I'd have to invite myself over to take a look at your setup later....

My Marantz, complete with 7.1 XLRs into all of my amps does the same thing on movies vs. music (CD, Pandora, or otherwise). I just assumed that movie soundtracks have specifically decoded LFE tracks that feed higher dBs of bassgasmic information than music tracks which essentially have no LFE information. But I'm far from an expert.

You know me from Mike's GTGs of the past. I'm the short guy.

Good luck!
Broke EF likes this.
post #187 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
I am not using any YAPO correction, have tried different sound modes, have verified that the subs are "on", and have also tried LFE+Mains. Best I can do, with MANY changes from my standard settings is some bass. There has been no configuration that can get me the same bass with music that I can get with a movie.

At this point I am convinced its the Receiver, and NOT a setting. At least not one I can find after all these months and going through everything I can find multiple times. If I swap the receiver and it has bass, I will chuck that Yamaha through a window!

Sean
Well, hard to compare systems for sure. I should say it helps to have alot of bass drivers -- I have 8x7.5", 6x10", 10x12", 2x15", and 4x18" bass drivers, and about 10,000 watts, all active for music listening, but still felt the bass output was very low until doing all those changes, so I'm out on ideas -- best of luck to you!
post #188 of 276 Old 10-31-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Couple silly things real quick:

I have an ART Cleanbox you can borrow.

While a nice gesture, he said the bass "blows the doors off" when watching a movie, so it's not a signal level problem. It's isolated to when he's listening to music.
Broke EF likes this.
post #189 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its been a while, lets stir this pot up again shall we!

Over the weekend I helped my buddy install a second system in his basement. This is the same one mentioned elsewhere in this thread that has the SVS sub and plenty of bass with music. You can read all the details here.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...em-friend.html

Well didn't really get a chance to crank up up and run it through its paces that night for fear of waking up the one year old. The next day however he did play with it, and tried various material, and found that with music it was flat like my system. Details are in the above link, but I calibrated the speakers to 80db, and the subs to 90db, and they were FLAT. I need to grab the chart from him, but man it looked great. It stayed board flat until about 120hz, and we ended up crossing over at 100hz. We tried 80hz, 100hz, and 200hz, and 100hz ended up being the smoothest.

I have not heard music, or measured it like I have with mine, but he says it is almost identical to how my system reacts. Sounds great with a movie, and like it has no subs with music. When he takes out the miniDSP he says it sounds like it should with music.

Nothing in this system is the same as mine, different make for all of the equipment. The only constant is we used my mic for both, and I made all the adjustments. His case could still be different than mine in the sense that I have measured my system being down ~20db when listening to music compared to a sweep or a movie. His could actually be hitting the same db that it was adjusted to, but he could be wanting more. Just throwing this out there for now, and I will update with more info as I get it. I want to try and get out there this weekend to take some measurements, and see whats up.

I do really hope it is something I am doing wrong. I don't see how or what, but then again if I could I wouldn't be doing it!

Sean
post #190 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its been a while, lets stir this pot up again shall we!

Over the weekend I helped my buddy install a second system in his basement. This is the same one mentioned elsewhere in this thread that has the SVS sub and plenty of bass with music. You can read all the details here.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...em-friend.html

Well didn't really get a chance to crank up up and run it through its paces that night for fear of waking up the one year old. The next day however he did play with it, and tried various material, and found that with music it was flat like my system. Details are in the above link, but I calibrated the speakers to 80db, and the subs to 90db, and they were FLAT. I need to grab the chart from him, but man it looked great. It stayed board flat until about 120hz, and we ended up crossing over at 100hz. We tried 80hz, 100hz, and 200hz, and 100hz ended up being the smoothest.

I have not heard music, or measured it like I have with mine, but he says it is almost identical to how my system reacts. Sounds great with a movie, and like it has no subs with music. When he takes out the miniDSP he says it sounds like it should with music.

Nothing in this system is the same as mine, different make for all of the equipment. The only constant is we used my mic for both, and I made all the adjustments. His case could still be different than mine in the sense that I have measured my system being down ~20db when listening to music compared to a sweep or a movie. His could actually be hitting the same db that it was adjusted to, but he could be wanting more. Just throwing this out there for now, and I will update with more info as I get it. I want to try and get out there this weekend to take some measurements, and see whats up.

I do really hope it is something I am doing wrong. I don't see how or what, but then again if I could I wouldn't be doing it!

Sean
There are so many ways to respond but alas we are here to help.

I think flat is OK for calibrating but you have to employ either a manual house curve or dynamic eq afterwards or it sounds empty.

I use Dynamic eq on my avr and recently turned on the DEQ in my inuke in addition (family room sausage subs). So my house curve is ridiculous, but I like it. I rarely play anything at reference so I don't mind using plenty of boost at -30/-25 (which is where we listen) on the family room system.
post #191 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
It pretty much HAS to be in the processing of music. I cant even say its processing of 2 channel audio because REW is using 2 channels. It is very frustrating because it is SO specific of an issue, and it is also pretty much impossible to explain properly to people as demonstrated by a lot of this thread.

Run a sweep, sounds amazing
Watch a movie, sounds amazing
Play music, sounds like a boom box

Sean
Good, so...make a 5 minute movie, add audio track of your choice and hear if it sounds as good as a movie.
Or, just for kicks, go to AVR settings, reduce trim of all speakers except subs for -10dB, play some music +10dB louder then you usually do, see if it helps.

Also, I don't know if you are using SPL meter or MV number on AVR to compare music vs movies, but I guess you realize those two don't have same reference levels and that movies have larger dynamic range...therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd like to run your subs 20-30 dB hotter.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
post #192 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
There are so many ways to respond but alas we are here to help.

I think flat is OK for calibrating but you have to employ either a manual house curve or dynamic eq afterwards or it sounds empty.

I use Dynamic eq on my avr and recently turned on the DEQ in my inuke in addition (family room sausage subs). So my house curve is ridiculous, but I like it. I rarely play anything at reference so I don't mind using plenty of boost at -30/-25 (which is where we listen) on the family room system.
LOL, I know man I am sure I sound like I have no idea WTF I am doing/talking about. One day some other AVS member will come by and can try to explain it.

I see what you are saying, but at least with mine it just doesn't get to the same SPL with music everything being set the same (and even turned up). When its all said and done, I probably will do a "music" curve, but I don't think that is my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Good, so...make a 5 minute movie, add audio track of your choice and hear if it sounds as good as a movie.
Or, just for kicks, go to AVR settings, reduce trim of all speakers except subs for -10dB, play some music +10dB louder then you usually do, see if it helps.

Also, I don't know if you are using SPL meter or MV number on AVR to compare music vs movies, but I guess you realize those two don't have same reference levels and that movies have larger dynamic range...therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd like to run your subs 20-30 dB hotter.
We have tried something like that, and it wasn't as good. I have also turned off the main speakers, and turned the sub amp all the way up. It's just super flat with music.

Sean
post #193 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL, I know man I am sure I sound like I have no idea WTF I am doing/talking about. One day some other AVS member will come by and can try to explain it.

I see what you are saying, but at least with mine it just doesn't get to the same SPL with music everything being set the same (and even turned up). When its all said and done, I probably will do a "music" curve, but I don't think that is my problem.
I don't think you don't know what are you doing. I just feel you have hard time explaining your expectations. Do you have access to a sound system whose sound you find good? It would be great if you would post full range measurement of that one.
And do you have access to any high end headphones?
Also, what is your source for music and/or movies? Lots of pages here...couldn't find it.

Quote:
We have tried something like that, and it wasn't as good. I have also turned off the main speakers, and turned the sub amp all the way up. It's just super flat with music.
Sean
From top of my head, I'd try few more things if you didn't already.
1. Try only one sub...see what happens (keep adding them progresivelly)
2. I find your 100-200 Hz area, especially 120 Hz dip very offending.Not sure how much can you do about it but I know it ruins "texture" of bass, since I have similar scenario and have compared dip vs flat response in that area (probably kills some punch). But i'd try subs -5 and -10dB lower just to see how much you like effective boost in response in 100-200 Hz.
3. Try something like steady downward slope of 6dB from 20 to 100 Hz.
4. Using inukes? Try low cut if available (or HPF with strongest slope) at 15, 20, 25, etc Hz. Not sure how much amp has to struggle with frequencies that low but could be worth trying.
5. Try imitating equal loudness curve or close to it.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
post #194 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hope you know I'm just busting your..uh..bass. We may all just have to converge on your house and just get this fixed.
Broke EF likes this.
post #195 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think you don't know what are you doing. I just feel you have hard time explaining your expectations. Do you have access to a sound system whose sound you find good? It would be great if you would post full range measurement of that one.
And do you have access to any high end headphones?
Also, what is your source for music and/or movies? Lots of pages here...couldn't find it.

From top of my head, I'd try few more things if you didn't already.
1. Try only one sub...see what happens (keep adding them progresivelly)
2. I find your 100-200 Hz area, especially 120 Hz dip very offending.Not sure how much can you do about it but I know it ruins "texture" of bass, since I have similar scenario and have compared dip vs flat response in that area (probably kills some punch). But i'd try subs -5 and -10dB lower just to see how much you like effective boost in response in 100-200 Hz.
3. Try something like steady downward slope of 6dB from 20 to 100 Hz.
4. Using inukes? Try low cut if available (or HPF with strongest slope) at 15, 20, 25, etc Hz. Not sure how much amp has to struggle with frequencies that low but could be worth trying.
5. Try imitating equal loudness curve or close to it.
I am for sure having a hard time conveying everything. I always have that problem :/

@eng-399 could post a graph of his, but its not exactly on the same level as mine. My computer system sounds good, I have measured it but I don't think I ever did full range to see how much hotter the sub is. My miniDSP is being used on the other system right now so I cant measure it right now. Here is one of the sweeps of that system.

I have some Hyper X Cloud II headphones, and Shure SE215 ear buds. Nothing spectacular, but OK.

I have tried everything for a source, streaming multiple sources on multiple devices, playing files from multiple devices, CD's from multiple devices, etc. Nothing makes anything any better or worse really.

I have done the single sub deal and its the same result.

You are not the first one to mention the 100-120 range. I agree its an issue, but not what my problem is. You will have to go back to see, but I have measured playing music with the RTA and the peaks are ~20db lower than a movie or a REW sweep at any frequency (usually about 40hz). I am kind of waiting to replace my mains before I worry too much about that 100-120 range.

The rest of it I will have to checkout/try one of these days.

This thread is like beating a dead horse. My OCD wont let me just let it go though, so until its resolved I will bother you guys with it once in a while . I am VERY curious what the deal is with my buddies system though. I feel like he is just wanting more bass, not that its doing the same thing as mine.

Sean
post #196 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 533 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 4971
I don't have my laptop in Front of me right now to show my graphs generated from rew but I have this taken from my phone. All I have to show is I'm plus and minus 3-4 across with only the subs to show. Once I get the other two subs I just picked up I'll work at it again.
My room likes bass from 10-60 hz. I'm 20+ db hot before adding filters to bring it down. When I play low stuff my room has a lot of energy in it and gets pressured so I decided to tame it down a little. After the holidays I'll stop by your house we can figure this all out.
Broke EF likes this.
post #197 of 276 Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am for sure having a hard time conveying everything. I always have that problem :/

@eng-399 could post a graph of his, but its not exactly on the same level as mine. My computer system sounds good, I have measured it but I don't think I ever did full range to see how much hotter the sub is. My miniDSP is being used on the other system right now so I cant measure it right now. Here is one of the sweeps of that system.

I have some Hyper X Cloud II headphones, and Shure SE215 ear buds. Nothing spectacular, but OK.

I have tried everything for a source, streaming multiple sources on multiple devices, playing files from multiple devices, CD's from multiple devices, etc. Nothing makes anything any better or worse really.

I have done the single sub deal and its the same result.

You are not the first one to mention the 100-120 range. I agree its an issue, but not what my problem is. You will have to go back to see, but I have measured playing music with the RTA and the peaks are ~20db lower than a movie or a REW sweep at any frequency (usually about 40hz). I am kind of waiting to replace my mains before I worry too much about that 100-120 range.

The rest of it I will have to checkout/try one of these days.

This thread is like beating a dead horse. My OCD wont let me just let it go though, so until its resolved I will bother you guys with it once in a while . I am VERY curious what the deal is with my buddies system though. I feel like he is just wanting more bass, not that its doing the same thing as mine.

Sean
Ok, first...stupid but kinda obvious question, if peaks (or even average sound level) of music is 20dB lower then movies...why not simply increase volume to reach same peak levels in music?
I see you actually compared your Voxel and your main system on page 3, and i see there that volume of your main system is lower...you definitely gotta crank it up to make same exact comparison. Also, seeing this last graph you posted (which I assume is Voxel), I see that sub rolls of at 40 Hz. This leads me to believe, especially if that sub is ported, that with it you get a strong tactile response around the tune, as with a typical MBM...but even if its sealed...simply because your SPL around 40-50 Hz is so high. You might be a candidate for a nearfield MBM.

post #198 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For grins, try the same setup without EQ processing. If you're sensitive artifacts in the time domain, you may be hearing the EQ as an overlay 'masking' cues that make recordings sound more like music.

As with most magic tricks, the illusion is dependent on an audience remaining unaware of the deception.

I recommend the DSPeaker antimode products for room modes up to 200Hz.

Above that, I'm sensitive to DSP (that I can afford) and prefer passive approaches. It gets much more complicated with each driver you add.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #199 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Only looking briefly at the first few pages it appears to me that your target curve may be too bottom heavy. 50 - 150 hz is where its at.
post #200 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, first...stupid but kinda obvious question, if peaks (or even average sound level) of music is 20dB lower then movies...why not simply increase volume to reach same peak levels in music?
I see you actually compared your Voxel and your main system on page 3, and i see there that volume of your main system is lower...you definitely gotta crank it up to make same exact comparison. Also, seeing this last graph you posted (which I assume is Voxel), I see that sub rolls of at 40 Hz. This leads me to believe, especially if that sub is ported, that with it you get a strong tactile response around the tune, as with a typical MBM...but even if its sealed...simply because your SPL around 40-50 Hz is so high. You might be a candidate for a nearfield MBM.
This is where my explaining things starts to fall short. When it is 20db down, that is at the same settings, ie volume at 0, amps at 6 clicks from full, etc. I have turned up the amps to 100%, turned up the sub trim in the AVR to +10 (as high as it goes), and will still be short of what it will do with a sweep at my normal settings.

40hz is a good spot to look at since the bass heavy music I like has most of its bass right around there. If I am running the RTA I can watch the bass hits peak right around 40, which is where the voxel peaks due to the port tune. Keep in mind that the voxel is a 5.25" driver in a shoe box sized enclosure with less than 50 watts, but can still get as loud as my four 12's with 3000 watts (also ported boxes). But back to what I keep saying, if we look at a specific frequency (40hz) I can get 110db with a sweep, 110db with a movie, but 90db with music, and maybe 100-105 if I turn the subs WAY higher than I ever could with a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji12305 View Post
For grins, try the same setup without EQ processing. If you're sensitive artifacts in the time domain, you may be hearing the EQ as an overlay 'masking' cues that make recordings sound more like music.

As with most magic tricks, the illusion is dependent on an audience remaining unaware of the deception.

I recommend the DSPeaker antimode products for room modes up to 200Hz.

Above that, I'm sensitive to DSP (that I can afford) and prefer passive approaches. It gets much more complicated with each driver you add.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I have tried it without EQ, I will do it again and measure it. It has been a while since I have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
Only looking briefly at the first few pages it appears to me that your target curve may be too bottom heavy. 50 - 150 hz is where its at.
The music I am looking at mostly (I have tried a few things) is closer to 40hz. Some will be as low as 30hz, and of course some is much higher.

I have some ideas for measurements, and experiments I want to try. My biggest thing is I want to get a different receiver hooked up and see what it does. Until then I will try some things that have been mentioned.

Sean
post #201 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As a test you could try using AC3Filter set to pass through AC3 and DTS and encode everything to else AC3 5.1 at 48,000hz. You can use the bass management in AC3Filter to set your crossover point, and adjust the gain for each channel independently. While this does add extra processing to the signal, it should allow you to move the bass management from the receiver to the PC to see if that makes any changes.
post #202 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
This is where my explaining things starts to fall short. When it is 20db down, that is at the same settings, ie volume at 0, amps at 6 clicks from full, etc. I have turned up the amps to 100%, turned up the sub trim in the AVR to +10 (as high as it goes), and will still be short of what it will do with a sweep at my normal settings.

40hz is a good spot to look at since the bass heavy music I like has most of its bass right around there. If I am running the RTA I can watch the bass hits peak right around 40, which is where the voxel peaks due to the port tune. Keep in mind that the voxel is a 5.25" driver in a shoe box sized enclosure with less than 50 watts, but can still get as loud as my four 12's with 3000 watts (also ported boxes). But back to what I keep saying, if we look at a specific frequency (40hz) I can get 110db with a sweep, 110db with a movie, but 90db with music, and maybe 100-105 if I turn the subs WAY higher than I ever could with a movie.

I have tried it without EQ, I will do it again and measure it. It has been a while since I have done it.

The music I am looking at mostly (I have tried a few things) is closer to 40hz. Some will be as low as 30hz, and of course some is much higher.

I have some ideas for measurements, and experiments I want to try. My biggest thing is I want to get a different receiver hooked up and see what it does. Until then I will try some things that have been mentioned.

Sean
Sure. Lots of music have content into the 30ies. However, imo, thats not where the "music" happens. Imo, most music sounds more engaging if 50 - 150 is not recessed. No amount of deep bass will help that. Imo, ymmv, ect :-)
post #203 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Link some of your favourite songs.

post #204 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have some ideas for measurements, and experiments I want to try.

This may have been covered before, but just in case. I saw you mention Pandora etc. for the music and also mention CDs. I would assume yes, with the CDs, but did you play the music CDs from the same source that you use for movies? Blu-ray player etc.? Also, try a concert Blu-ray that has multi-channel audio to see the difference (if any) between 2 channel and multi.
post #205 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The next day however he did play with it, and tried various material, and found that with music it was flat like my system. Details are in the above link, but I calibrated the speakers to 80db, and the subs to 90db, and they were FLAT. I need to grab the chart from him, but man it looked great. It stayed board flat until about 120hz, and we ended up crossing over at 100hz. We tried 80hz, 100hz, and 200hz, and 100hz ended up being the smoothest.

From your link:

Quote:
I need to get the measurements from him, and probably tweak the whole system a bit more once everything is all cleaned up. I can say we had the subs FLAT from about 20htz to 120htz at 90db. That was way better than I was expecting with those little baby subs. I forgot to mention that I was EQing them with a MiniDSP, otherwise they looked like a mountain range

So it sounds like he prefers the "mountain range" (boomy, one note wonder) response that one would expect from a Polk Audio sub. Try to get the graph of his sub response before you EQed it with the Mini and it will give you some insight to which frequencies that he "prefers", and you can adjust his Mini accordingly.

Honestly, most people don't like a "flat" curve as it sounds pretty dead and boring. That's where a house curve comes in. However, some people are used to the way a boomy normal consumer sub sounds and they prefer it.
post #206 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
This may have been covered before, but just in case. I saw you mention Pandora etc. for the music and also mention CDs. I would assume yes, with the CDs, but did you play the music CDs from the same source that you use for movies? Blu-ray player etc.? Also, try a concert Blu-ray that has multi-channel audio to see the difference (if any) between 2 channel and multi.
Yes, I have tried CD through the bluray player as well as youtube, and pandora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
From your link:

So it sounds like he prefers the "mountain range" (boomy, one note wonder) response that one would expect from a Polk Audio sub. Try to get the graph of his sub response before you EQed it with the Mini and it will give you some insight to which frequencies that he "prefers", and you can adjust his Mini accordingly.

Honestly, most people don't like a "flat" curve as it sounds pretty dead and boring. That's where a house curve comes in. However, some people are used to the way a boomy normal consumer sub sounds and they prefer it.
Yes, I am 99.99% positive that he likes boomy bass. I personally like a lot of bass, but I like even loud bass rather than a one note wonder. I will get the charts from him, I was sure to save the before and after.

I am going to take some measurements of my systems this week hopefully. I want to do it in a way where I remove as many variables as possible, and get a comparison between my computer and my main system. I want to try and also run the same test on his systems to compare those as well.

Sean
post #207 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, here are the before and after of my buddies system.

Sean
post #208 of 276 Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reminds me of my bass cherry pop moment. The day the boom died.. It was a hard transition to real, clean, bass. Then I could hear all the notes, it was awesome!
post #209 of 276 Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 103
What I learned from this thread... don't let Broke EF set up your system!! hahaha

Just kidding! Is it the overall volume that is lacking, or just the lowend? Were you ever able to post any sweeps or graphs comparing the two(movie source versus music source)?

Hope you get it figured out!
post #210 of 276 Old 12-07-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Looks like the subwoofer level jumps up 10+ dB around 50hz and on average 5dB if you pull the miniDSP out of the chain. Are the levels recalibrated when removing the miniDSP otherwise subs louder = more punch in music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page