• 1 Post By zhillsguy

post #1 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
*tl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have I ruined my amp?

Thanks to the amazing info on this forum, I'm now the proud owner of 3 Elusive 1099s (left/right/center). Building these has been a great experience that I hope to write up at some point.... They've been up and running for about a month now, and are a terrific upgrade over the 20+ year old speakers they are replacing!

However.... Last week, out of nowhere, I started having problems with my AV receiver. Basically, I turn it on, and there's no sound at all. All of the other electronics seem to work—the front display lights up, it passes through HDMI video and changes sources—but there's no sound from any speaker (in a 7.1 system). The problem moreover is intermittent; sometimes when I turn it on, everything is fine, and I have been able to get the receiver to perform normally if I continually turn it off-and-on.

So here's my big question: Is there anything that I could have done (wrong) when wiring the 1099 crossovers that could have affected the receiver's amps to cause these problems? This was my first major DIY job, including first-time soldering of electronics. On the other hand, the receiver is about 5 years old and could just be shot. Also, I'm not getting sound out of any channel, including channels using the same speakers that I've been using for years and my separately powered subwoofer.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really like to make sure that I didn't do something wrong with the speakers before I go out and start shopping for a new AVR. Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Yes if you made a mistake and caused a short in the speaker that could easily damage your receiver. It doesn't sound like that though if it's intermittent. Is the receiver super hot when it stops working?
tuxedocivic and stegen like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Some receivers may have built in protection for short circuited output. If your receiver has such function then it is possible it is not damaged.

Try disconnecting all speakers, then reconnect one that you know is working fine, being careful not to short the outputs with frayed wires, etc. If it works do this to the rest of the output.

If it is indeed a short, it is possible it is in a place other than your 1099 (speaker wire, terminals, etc) so be sure to check those just in case. Before you open your 1099, check the input with a meter to see if its actually shorted.

BTW what receiver do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
*tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Yes if you made a mistake and caused a short in the speaker that could easily damage your receiver. It doesn't sound like that though if it's intermittent. Is the receiver super hot when it stops working?
No, the receiver is not hot. In fact, I only have this problem when I start it up cold. I have been able to turn it on and off until finally it "clicks" and I get sound. Then everything is fine. I've never had it shut down once it was working (although, again, this has only been an issue for a week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Before you open your 1099, check the input with a meter to see if its actually shorted.

BTW what receiver do you have?
It's an Onkyo receiver. How would you check the input? Sorry, I'm pretty noobish .
post #5 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by *tl View Post
It's an Onkyo receiver. How would you check the input? Sorry, I'm pretty noobish .

You're probably in luck. Your symptoms sound like it. Check this thread:

....we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio......

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
*tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
That's helpful, thank you! Looks like I need to check some serial numbers when I get home.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

....we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio......

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html
I had my Onkyo HT-RC360 AVR repaired under warranty in May. It was plagued by HDMI issues from the start, and it was down to audio 2 channel function only after warranty. I have to give Onkyo props on this one... they sent me a shipping box, clear instructions, etc. and they only had it their possession for 2 days and it was returned, the whole process was a little over 2 weeks with shipping both ways. Works better than new now and gave it to my daughter since I bought a Denon a while back.
tuxedocivic likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2016, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
*tl

I tested each of my speakers with a multimeter at the terminals and got a resistance rating of 6.7 ohms. Is that the correct way to test? And given that I had a consistent rating across all three, can I assume there's no problem at my speakers?

And that said, after reading through the Onkyo thread linked above, that really sounds similar to a lot of the problems I'm having, so that's somewhat of a relief! (Unfortunately, the serial number sticker on my unit is gone, so I might be screwed on the warranty end ....)
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just started having the same problem with my onkyo as well. Frustrating.
The old 5.1 Yamaha with RCA's that preceded it made it through years of party house abuse, and is still 100%. I know what I'm buying next.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 117
My onkyo did the same thing. HDMI board starts to turn on and off. when you cant get any sound, go into the network menu on the GUI and see if the firmware and or download options are greyed out. if so your hdmi board is shot or is going bad.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 214
My Onkyo did the same thing for about a month before it just totally stopped working. It was a cheap one bought at bestbuy for a bedroom setup so it didn't really bother me other than the fact I won't be buying Onkyo anymore. It was like 6 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page