DIYSG Custom Vented 1299 Build - Advice? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4963
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 01-20-2017, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Another small update.

* cut out all the pass-through holes on the bracing and gave them a 3/8" roundover.
* cut out holes for tower ports and rabbet the holes so the ports sit flush.
* glued baffles together. Found out the supplied baffles aren't quite 0.750" so I left a gap for filler.

filtor1 likes this.
post #33 of 50 Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

@ja00 here's a few potato phone pics, nothing special.

filtor1, baniels, EarlK and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Love the router table.

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #35 of 50 Old 01-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX3ST View Post
@ja00 here's a few potato phone pics, nothing special.
Sorry but I could not disagree more. That is pure awesome!!! Thank you for sharing.
post #36 of 50 Old 01-24-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Love the router table.
Which one? LOL
My personal favorite is that pin router. The triple table is just a time saver from switching bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Sorry but I could not disagree more. That is pure awesome!!! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks. I no longer work there, but was a part of the build. There's also a metal fab room to go along with it.

More updates!

post #37 of 50 Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Awesome workspace. Now I'm picturing you doing 2 bracing roundovers at once, one in each hand on that triple router station.
ZX3ST likes this.
post #38 of 50 Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Thanks. I no longer work there, but was a part of the build. There's also a metal fab room to go along with it.
Oh I thought it was your personal workshop! I was going to send you a friend request but since you no longer work there...
nlpearman likes this.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Awesome workspace. Now I'm picturing you doing 2 bracing roundovers at once, one in each hand on that triple router station.
Just call me DJ Porter Cable! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Oh I thought it was your personal workshop! I was going to send you a friend request but since you no longer work there...
I'm still friends with the guys, so I get to use the shop occasionally for personal projects. I have a small setup at home that includes a router table and table saw, but I saved lots of time and I don't own the kickass cyclone dust collection...
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #40 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Don't mind the crap living room condition. I'm in the process of remodeling. Gotta love trying to refinish the space you're also living in... The equipment rack is being relocated once I tear out the closet door.

A few assembly updates. I went with stainless hardware for a little contrast. Literally zero finish work done, as I wanted to test everything out before I went through the trouble. No sense doing the finish work if I don't like the sound results!!! So the cabs are still covered in glue and haven't seen a lick of sandpaper yet. For scale comparison, that's a 65" TV.

@Erich H you might want to adjust your CNC program for the woofer cutouts. The holes were fine but the rabbets were too tight to get the baskets to seat. I had to run through them again with a 1/2" rabbet. Only an extra 1/32" of material would have probably done the trick, but I didn't have the right bit/bearing combo to do that so I ended up closer to 1/16". It worked out though because the woofers now have a very slight gap around the basket to match midrange drivers.

I was originally thinking veneer but long-term I'd like to get these behind an AT screen when I move in a couple years (wasted work?). So now I'm thinking a 3/8" roundover on all the corners and take them to Line-X. And I still need to design/build grilles. Plenty of time to decide... Any other suggestions in this area would be welcome.

I'm powering these through a Marantz AV7702mkii Pre-Pro and their MM7055 5ch amp. So ballpark about 140W each. I suspect probably more like 125W each with all channels driven.

One thing I haven't talked too much about yet is the sub pairing. It's a 10ft^3 enclosure tuned to 20Hz, with 4 Hertz HX300 12" subs. Powered by 2 Crown XLS2502 running 4ohm stereo so I'm hitting them at approximately 800W each. I had heavily considered going IB with 4 18" drivers but didn't want to have to deal with putting the floor back together when I sell the house. They keep up with the 1299s just fine while barely clipping the -10dB light on the amps. I'll need to get the empty enclosure on a scale when it gets finished. I needed a dolley to haul the stupid thing before it even got drivers installed!

I was a bit scared to fire these up for the first time. I haven't had great experience with horn drivers in the past, so this was a bit of a leap of faith for me. I started with 2ch music as a baseline and then swapped to movies. A few thoughts:

* Audyssey clipped the output levels to -12dB and set Xovers to 40Hz. I had to boost the subs +12dB to blend properly. There's that efficiency for you!!!

* I was shocked to find how smooth the upper frequencies are, and how well the dispersion creates a 3D sound field. I had to check to be sure I had everything set to stereo instead of all-channel-stereo.

* High frequency smoothness is a bit of a double edged sword. I find myself cranking the volume because it just sucks you in, but you don't realize just HOW loud you're running it until your ears start ringing. I never thought I'd consider using the volume limiter in the Pre-Pro.

* I may need to throw a MiniDSP at this setup because Audyssey just isn't doing it for me. It's throwing some pretty wild correction curves out there. For the most part it's good but removed much of the lower end house curve and did some strange things to female vocals. I like to use Celine Dion as my female vocal benchmark, and Audyssey removed her room presence. Maybe the Audyssey pro-tune kit would do the trick? More data on this to come, but I think Audyssey just doesn't have enough EQ adjustment range to get everything right. Which is a shame because it otherwise does a great job of setting up a nice large "sweet spot" for the listening area.

* Movies have great impact. Subs could use a little EQ finesse but otherwise blend with the LCR beautifully. You almost can't even tell there's a sub in the room. (in a good way, as in the sub doesn't call attention to itself)

post #41 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

The next item of business is deciding on surrounds.

Is it worth the effort to find a way to make the volt 10 work in the room?
post #42 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
What was the final build size?

4.88 cubic feet tuned to... 40hz? One 6 inch on the towers and four 4 inch ports on the center?
post #43 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
What was the final build size?
4.88ft^3 accounting for driver and bracing displacement, though I had to guess on the SEOS so there's probably a little error there. With the doubled baffle and 0.75" construction, total exterior dimensions are 54h x 14.75w x 15.25d. Calculated tuning is closer to 41Hz because I'm at the minimum length possible for a 6" precision port. I suspect the volume lost to mattress topper bumps actual tuning closer to 43 or 44Hz. One of these days I plan to try and measure where it ended up.

Towers have a single 6" port. Center has 4 3" ports.

Net enclosure volume after port displacement is closer to 4.75ft^3
post #44 of 50 Old 02-12-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Gotcha. Nice build.

Curious to hear the rationale for the 40ish hz tuning vs a higher tuning with more output up top. Certainly your subs could handle a crossover in the 60-80hz range.

I'm planning a similar build... just deciding on the final size and tuning. Appreciate any input.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Great looking setup. That's a monster centre channel. I might have missed it, but what are your plans for finishing all those cabs?
post #46 of 50 Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
* Audyssey clipped the output levels to -12dB and set Xovers to 40Hz. I had to boost the subs +12dB to blend properly. There's that efficiency for you!!!
Can you adjust the gain(s) on downstream amp(s) for the sub(s)? With the subs at +12, you are likely to clip the Marantz outputs. On my Denon, I adjust downstream amps so that my sub gain is -12 because that's the only way to cleanly pass a 7.1 channel full scale peak.
post #47 of 50 Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Nice build. You need a MiniDSP for the subs. Do not, under any circumstances use the MiniDSP with the 1299s. There efficiency will not be good,with the noise floor of the mini.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #48 of 50 Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Gotcha. Nice build.

Curious to hear the rationale for the 40ish hz tuning vs a higher tuning with more output up top. Certainly your subs could handle a crossover in the 60-80hz range.

I'm planning a similar build... just deciding on the final size and tuning. Appreciate any input.
I'm going to build them even bigger. In my model I didn't loose any efficiency up high. I'll look again though.

My final dimensions will be 68" x 19.25" x 14.75"

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #49 of 50 Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Great looking setup. That's a monster centre channel. I might have missed it, but what are your plans for finishing all those cabs?
Thanks. I did talk about it briefly, and still weighing my options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX3ST
I was originally thinking veneer but long-term I'd like to get these behind an AT screen when I move in a couple years (wasted work?). So now I'm thinking a 3/8" roundover on all the corners and take them to Line-X. And I still need to design/build grilles. Plenty of time to decide... Any other suggestions in this area would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awediophile View Post
Can you adjust the gain(s) on downstream amp(s) for the sub(s)? With the subs at +12, you are likely to clip the Marantz outputs. On my Denon, I adjust downstream amps so that my sub gain is -12 because that's the only way to cleanly pass a 7.1 channel full scale peak.
I sure can. The Marantz amps don't have adjustable gain, but they're obviously not the issue. The sub amps are 4 clicks below 1/2.

I'm still tweaking the system but didn't think about clipping the preouts. If I'm turning up output, I try to do so via line level rather than cranking up amp gains. Tends to compromise noise floor otherwise. I'll have to test the Marantz outputs to see where that point is and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: The levels weren't at +12dB, rather +5.5 which was +12dB from the -6.5 that Audyssey set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
Nice build. You need a MiniDSP for the subs. Do not, under any circumstances use the MiniDSP with the 1299s. There efficiency will not be good,with the noise floor of the mini.
I have a MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced already on there for the subs.

This is the first I'm hearing about crap noise floor on the MiniDSP equipment though. They spec a 105dB SNR which I suspect shouldn't significantly degrade the amp's already reasonable 105dB.

But I'm not a loyalist, so any suggestions for alternatives would be welcome.

Last edited by ZX3ST; 02-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #50 of 50 Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is awesome! I was surfing the web to try and understand how people build speakers with 2 woofers, 2 mid and 1 tweeter on a 3 way crossover, but after seeing this post and the crossover used I get a much better understanding!! Thanks for the tread, so much detail and what a project!! Well done!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page