What fun is a build if you don't have at least a couple of "Oh *****" moments?
My "epiphanies" have all been port-related so far. Guess that's what happens when you wind up with 3 different port designs for your 4 cabs. First issue was the folded slot port for front sub #2
being too long. Took care of that. This latest one is for front sub #3.
I cut the port exit in the side panel incorrectly and it was too late as the cab was glued up already. The old saying "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted" rings true here and actually came in handy as I figured out a fix after staring at the problem for a few minutes.
The port sits inside the box like this, against the top and side panels (the box is upside-down on the bench in this pic)
In this pic you can see the port exit in the side panel of the cab. But as the port is constructed of 3/4" material, you can see that the lower long edge of the port exit is too low. 3/4" too low to be exact. I laid out the port incorrectly.
So, some port surgery was in order. I flush trimmed the side panel with the top of the box, did some sanding in other places and cut a strip of MDF to take up the 3/4" gap.
Patch glued in. Also in these pics, I've already cut the top long edge of the port about 1/2" higher to line up with where the port opening actually should be in the side panel.
This does create some additional extra work in that I have to re-scrape the PL from the edges inside the box, so the port fits flush, but it's better than a ruined cab and having to start over. At this point I hadn't yet glued up cab#4 so I check that side panel and yup, same stupid mistake. So I had to recut a new side panel for that cab, but that was easier than having to do this same port surgery over again on another cab. If you catch your mistake before it becomes a problem, it doesn't count. Right?
This is what I mean about scraping the PL off. Normally, you just leave the squeeze-out there as it helps to seal the box. In my case, I will have a "square box", the port, that needs to sit flush against the rear panel. You can see the PL scraped away from where the back and top panels meet.
So now I have all four cabs at least glued up and two of them already have the ports in.
glued up last night.
I also got my baffles completed. A big shout-out and thank you to
for graciously providing the slab nuts I needed for this build. Thanks again, NWCgrad.
The slab nuts are a tight press-fit in a 5/16" hole. Here I'm drilling pilot holes for the #5
x 5/8" screws that secure the nut.
Slab nuts being installed.
And done. I now have 4 baffles that look like this.
This weekend I'll get the final two ports glued in and hopefully flush trim all ports into their respective port exits. After that, it's time for "Brace-fest 2016"...something I'm not looking forward to, but "labor of love" and all that jazz.