Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!
With BraceFest and TopperFest 2016 done and over with, it was time to seal up the cabs. There's always that moment of trepidation where you're about to put the first line of PL down and you say "Wait...I must have forgotten SOMETHING..." and you put the PL down, shut off the compressor and stare into the cabs like some clueless guy on the side of the road with the hood of the car up, staring at the engine compartment like he can will the motor to work fine again.
So yeah, I did that for about 10 minutes...couldn't find anything wrong and consoled myself that "Tomorrow, when I see what I missed I should be able to fix it through an almost 17" diameter driver cutout." Well, it's now tomorrow and I've not found anything I missed. Yet. Ignorance is bliss.
As I have four large cabs to close up, I really wanted to get them all done in one shot. But I didn't have even close to enough clamps. So Harbor Freight was really happy to see me yesterday. I bought another 24, 36-inch clamps. I really only needed the 30" clamps, but the 36" were a dollar apiece more. Better to just buy the bigger ones and have that extra capability going forward. I really didn't want to buy so many clamps that I'll probably not use too often, but I didn't want this baffle glue up to drag on for a week while I did one cab, wait a day, remove clamps, do another cab and on and on.
Here is a pile of forty, 36 and 30-inch clamps.
But before we get to the baffle glue-up, we have to ensure that the front-to-back braces won't interfere with the baffle. They need to be just a hair short so the baffle will sit flush. The PL will easily fill a 1/16" gap. To accomplish this task I used my old fence rail from my tablesaw. Basically, it's a bigass, 1/8" thick piece of angle iron. Who keeps crap like this around? This guy and for reasons just like this.
Set it on top of the cab like this:
And check for distance b/t it and the braces like this:
About a fourth of my front-to-back braces needed minor sanding. OK, that's done. Now to get to glue-up. I've got all those clamps and now I have to make sure I can use them. Laid down some 2x4's to elevate the cabs off the floor so I could get a clamp on the back panel, like so:
Assembly line is ready.
Thus began glue up. I used five tubes of PL to glue the baffles onto these four cabs. I put down a bead about 1/2" x 1/2". Total waste of PL but you HAVE TO do it at this step. That cabs' got to be sealed. All the work I did so far? PFFT! Squeeze that crap on there! BTW, in total, I used 14 tubes of PL on these cabs. PL Premium: Making up for your sloppy-ass woodworking for 10 years and counting!
I was pretty concerned with those braces...wanted to ensure everything worked as I thought it would, and it did. Interior shots of braces against the baffle. Happy to report they all look like this.
Shot of one cab with a roll of paper towels for size comparision.
Bracing through driver cutout.
And all four cabs glued up. You can see the sqeezeout. I'm confident these things are sealed tight.
BTW, STILL ran out of clamps and wound up using this old trick twice.
And then some Christmas magic happened! I went into the garage this morning and the Christmas ELVES had scraped all the PL off for me!!!
Well, OK, it wasn't Christmas Elves...it was the Christmas Chimney Gnomes.
Even though is 70F in the garage, I'm leaving the clamps on there for 48 hours...maybe more. As the PL is already scraped off, once the clamps come off I'll true up the baffle with the cab sides and roundover all the edges. Then it's painting time! Flat black primer on all four, Duratex on just one (the one that will be out in the room vs. behind the screen wall.)
Thanks for looking.