Dual 18cf ported UM-18 Build Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #121 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Good advice, Dave. I happen to have a hand cart and cargo straps too. We'd still have to figure out the mechanics of moving them though. I guess one guy pulling up on the cart and two others lifting from below?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
Good advice, Dave. I happen to have a hand cart and cargo straps too. We'd still have to figure out the mechanics of moving them though. I guess one guy pulling up on the cart and two others lifting from below?
I just reviewed the SVS PB-16 and that was how I had to move it into the house (and out when the review was done). Granted, it was in a box so I didn't have to worry about scratching it. But I put it on the hand cart and my son pushed from below as I pulled it up the stairs into my house.

Another thought...get some large cardboard pieces (from an appliance store) and use that to wrap around each sub as you move it to protect it from scratches, etc. I'd just duct tape it around the sub, then you wouldn't have to worry about the piping (unless you wanted to put that under the cardboard on each corner, which will probably be the biggest concern of damaging).

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #123 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I'm interested in how you'll get them up there, but I'm more interested in how your supports and kitchen below (if I remember correctly) are going to be able to handle all that bass. If there's ever overkill in a space, this is definitely it. Love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
You need a hand truck similar to this!

Great build thread BTW! Suddenly my 11ft3 sealed box for my SI HT18 doesn't seem so big any more!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #125 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow! If had that hand truck I'd be done already! I wonder if they're available for rent somewhere near me? There are a ton of equipment rental places all over the place in my city. I need to look. Thanks, @esappy !
post #126 of 137 Old 01-05-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Wow! If had that hand truck I'd be done already! I wonder if they're available for rent somewhere near me? There are a ton of equipment rental places all over the place in my city. I need to look. Thanks, @esappy !
I just did a Google search and found someone in Texas that rents Wesco products, so you may be able to find one in your area, especially if you're in/near a metropolitan area.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #127 of 137 Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 3749 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
All this fuss over these little guys? Fortunately I only had to go up two steps, so I just rolled mine until the carpet then slid them into place. The tops were "fun" :O

Can't wait to see pics of these in place, nice work.
post #128 of 137 Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
You could have moved the empty cabs into their respective room/place then mounted the drivers. While it still would be annoying to carry upstairs, gives another usable handle, it makes the cabs that much lighter and no risk of something like a corner or what not snagging the driver/surround.

I slide and roll stuff up the stairs all the time. Just use the 90 degree corner the stairs and roll them upstairs.
Most recently I rolled a couple hundred pound gun safe that we hid upstairs in the guest room as a christmas present and was then rolled/slid downstairs christmas morning.
Of course, it was still in its cardboard box but either way, we have carpeted stairs.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #129 of 137 Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
This won't help get them upstairs but, I put wheels on The LLT and other large sub. It helps with moving them around quickly a d .trying them in different locations.
post #130 of 137 Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm most probably going to rent one of those stair-climbing dollies. There aren't any to rent (that I've found anyway) in San Antonio, but there are in Austin. It's 2 hours of driving and $200 that I'd rather not do and spend, but better than trying to coordinate schedules to get a bunch of guys over and then someone gets hurt or the cabs get dropped and go crashing through a wall, etc.

I haven't been able to Duratex that one cab b/c of record lows this weekend in my city. Even with my little space heater, the garage is only in the mid 50's and Duratex instructions specifically state don't apply if the temp is under 65. Now, a few degrees won't matter but it's 52F in my garage currently. I'll have to wait until it warms up a little, which here in south Texas will be next week. The delay is acceptable as I don't have carpet in the HT yet and that has to be down before the subs go up there. I'm sort of stuck in a holding pattern now.

Can't finish the screen wall until the subs are in place.
Can't put the subs up there until carpet is down.
Can't finish the subs until the garage warms up.
Can't build the screen until the screen wall is up b/c I will have no place to store it. I'm not storing my DIY Seymore XD AT screen in my dusty garage.
post #131 of 137 Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm most probably going to rent one of those stair-climbing dollies. There aren't any to rent (that I've found anyway) in San Antonio, but there are in Austin. It's 2 hours of driving and $200 that I'd rather not do and spend, but better than trying to coordinate schedules to get a bunch of guys over and then someone gets hurt or the cabs get dropped and go crashing through a wall, etc.

I haven't been able to Duratex that one cab b/c of record lows this weekend in my city. Even with my little space heater, the garage is only in the mid 50's and Duratex instructions specifically state don't apply if the temp is under 65. Now, a few degrees won't matter but it's 52F in my garage currently. I'll have to wait until it warms up a little, which here in south Texas will be next week. The delay is acceptable as I don't have carpet in the HT yet and that has to be down before the subs go up there. I'm sort of stuck in a holding pattern now.

Can't finish the screen wall until the subs are in place.
Can't put the subs up there until carpet is down.
Can't finish the subs until the garage warms up.
Can't build the screen until the screen wall is up b/c I will have no place to store it. I'm not storing my DIY Seymore XD AT screen in my dusty garage.
Looks like it's going to be warm out here the rest of the week! Btw, I'm in San Antonio if you need any help with these beasts. Just hollar and I'll be there. You have to give me a demo though!
post #132 of 137 Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the offer, SXRDISBEST. Much appreciated, and good to see another San Antonian on these forums!

How about some Jurassic Lunch through one of the subs with a Volt10-LX for the highs? Make sure you wait for the burp at the end. Really.

That's just the laptop playing a 360KB/s mp3 of it. I don't think I'm getting a full 550w from the XLS1500, though I did tickle the clip lights a little on "Channel A" which is what the sub is on. Sub is LP'd at 89Hz, top is HP'd at the same freq.

The garage is a 3.5 car garage with obviously a concrete floor. Everything in the room was rattling especially the garage doors. Can't wait to try this on the suspended floor upstairs.

The Jurassic Lunch track goes down to 5Hz. I did not get any nasty noises from the sub as I'm not even close to XMax with this "test." Though...the XLS series does have...a 20Hz HP filter? I know they are low-end limited, ergo I did not choose them to power the subs in theater (I went with QSC RMX2450A's). Anyway, I posted a vid of some semi-serious LFE...I'm happy.

Some pics of the "pretty cab" after two coats of Duratex. One more tomorrow and it's done. Then I'll throw the rest of the drivers in their cabs and do some QC checking and the subs are done. Time for carpet in the HT!

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #133 of 137 Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Busy evening: Installed the other two drivers to the other two cabs going behind the screen wall and tested them out. Results =

Here comes trouble! This is what will be behind my screen wall. In case you've not been following the build thread; the middle cab is ported on top (you can see the port), right cab is ported to the right, left cab to the left. All the cabs are on dollies in this pic but they won't be in situ.

I couldn't fire up all three together as I've only got two amp channels in the garage to play with, but just two, with only about 500w each were enough to rattle every damn thing in the garage including both doors. As the floor is concrete there wasn't much vibration to be felt but I could hear the "vibrato" in my voice when I spoke. So cool.

Here we have cab #4 , the "pretty cab" that will be out in the room. Still don't know how integrating this one cab that will be in the back, left corner of the room will work out, but I'm going to find out.

I like this pic. I know there's no Duratex in the corners but that's about 5" down from the top and in a dark room, nobody's going to see it anyway. At least it's black.

Texture. Finish was wet in this pic. I will let it cure for at least the next 10 days before moving it. This cab has 3 coats of flat black primer and 3 coats of Duratex...a little less than half a gallon. Overkill to the nth degree.

Another pic.

In a few days I'll install the driver in this final cab and test it out. Then it's carpet time for the HT. I'll be hiring that out. Carpet and drywall mudding are two things I can't do.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #134 of 137 Old 01-19-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably my last post in this build thread

Well, sub #4 , "the pretty cab" is all buttoned up and I'm happy to report that it sounds as good as it looks (i.e. pretty darn good IMO )

Front

Driver recess

Port

Back

All speakers are now built; four UM-18's for subs, three 88 Specials for L/C/R and four Volt10-LXs for side/rear surround. I'm glad to be done building cabs and soldering crossovers.
HT build thread in sig will be updated soon, as soon as I get the carpet down in the HT, then it's install time.

Thanks again to all those that helped with cab/port advice, etc. Really appreciate you guys! Thanks for looking.
post #135 of 137 Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Looks like a 10" driver. That's how gigantic that cab must be.
post #136 of 137 Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Airspace for all four of these cabs is 21.7cf gross, before driver, port and bracing displacement. The goal was to have 18cf net. I'm pretty sure I'm still slightly above 18cf. I tried to use the same amount of bracing in all four. They are really big cabs.

In truth, I don't think they sound that great with music...tons of low-low end but not much above 60Hz-ish. But that is from very informal testing in my 3 car garage with no EQ and a Volt10 sitting on top as "mids and highs." But I didn't build these for music; I built them to play every last infrasonic note of a T-Rex crashing through the forest, or the depth-charged scene from U571. From my informal testing with soundtracks, it appears they will do very well at that.

I have a miniDSP that I'll use for filtering and EQ duties, so there's a lot yet to wring out.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #137 of 137 Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
So...how'd this end up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
dayton um18 , ported , UM-18 , um18 , UM18-22