Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Curved Uluwatu Build

I "finished" my home theater a few months ago, which left me speakerless in the living room (1899's moved into theater), so I've decided to build a pair of Uluwatu's for music in the main living area. I have officially joined the "WAF" club, so I now must consider how all future speaker builds will affect her I've built dozens of square/rectangular cabinets, but I've decided to step my game up and attempt to build some curved towers. I am also going to try to veneer these cabinets. No experience with building curves or veneering, so I'm open to any advice/tips/tricks I can get. Special thanks to @dtsdig , @PassingInterest , and others for inspiration and posting their experiences with building curves and veneering.

I have stared the build, I'll post progress below. Here's my hi-tech paint sketch for the curved braces. I made the widest part of the cabinet a little wider than what was recommended by Curt, but overall I will lose some internal volume, with that curvature near the rear baffle.

EDIT (2-2-17): Speakers are finished! Final pics below:

Last edited by Patzig; 02-02-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Using 3/4" mdf for straight pieces and 3 or 4 layers of 3/16" hardboard for the curved sides. The transmission line baffle made the brace cutting a little more tricky. I used a whole piece for the transmission line baffle and plan to attach the curved braces on both sides.

Glued down baffle sketch and cut out my templates with the band saw. Sanded the templates until they were smooth, then used a router with flush bit to make all remaining braces identical.

Next, I cut out the front, middle and rear baffles. All 3 needed angles sides. I didn't do any actual math to figure out the angles...just used the brace templates to get close.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Looking great so far! What's the final height going to be? My 50 inch tall 1099's weigh almost 150 pounds each! Lol
Patzig likes this.
post #6 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 552
That's a great looking skeleton. If you have PassingInterest's thread bookmarked, you've got a pretty good resource, so I think these are going to turn out great. Keep posting pics as you go!
Patzig likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
post #8 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Looking great so far! What's the final height going to be? My 50 inch tall 1099's weigh almost 150 pounds each! Lol
Thanks man. Final height is 47". That's ridiculous lol. I had to purchase a dolly to move the 1899's around, so luckily I'll have that for these towers. Although I imagine I'll be scared to death to move them once I have the veneer and finish applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
That's a great looking skeleton. If you have PassingInterest's thread bookmarked, you've got a pretty good resource, so I think these are going to turn out great. Keep posting pics as you go!
Thank you! For sure, I'll be referring back to his thread for info on applying the finish.
post #9 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4963
post #10 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Sweet, I hope same curve build works nice for my future subwoofer.
Patzig likes this.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
post #11 of 50 Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered veneer already, it got here yesterday. I bought 6 x sheets of "curly ash" with dimensions of 96"x16". Way more than I need, but wanted to have enough in case I screw up somewhere. It was some of the biggest sheets I could find (won't have to splice anything together) for a decent price. Came out to around $100 for all 6 sheets. I am hoping to stain the veneer some shade of cherry as well. I knows there's tricks to make the grain pop, so if anybody has any advice on that procedure, feel free to post. I should have plenty of extra veneer to test stain and finishing on.

One concern I have is that the veneer is a little bit "wavy", especially near the middle, with the thicker grain. It's not terrible (maybe 1/4" of spread near the most wavy part), but I wonder if it's something I'll be able to correct when I apply it, or if it's something I need to correct before I adhere it. Veneer is 1/42" thick. 2 suggestions I received: 1. Wet the veneer, press it flat, wait to dry, then apply with contact cement. 2. Wet the veneer, adhere it to speaker with titlebond (water based) while the veneer is still wet. Or maybe the warp isn't bad enough to where I can just roll and flatten it out with contact cement.

post #12 of 50 Old 12-11-2016, 01:21 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Looking good so far. I had a lot of fun building my curved mains and they are what people notice first when they enter the room. Mine are also built mostly from MDf except for the top and bottom which are Baltic birch. I did this for sturdiness when moving them around while I was building them since mdf chips so easily. Also just in case some water got under them even though I used 1/2" rubber feet. Have fun!
Patzig likes this.
post #13 of 50 Old 12-13-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Got the frames all glued up this weekend. It all came together really well.

post #14 of 50 Old 12-13-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I also got the first layers of hardboard glued on the sides. Made some mistakes, learned some lessons. My first fail was using titlebond to glue down the initial curved layer. I knew I was supposed to use PL premium, but it somehow slipped my mind when I got going. It held the hardboard down ok, but one corner didn't get fully sealed up. I quickly realized I was supposed to use PL, so that those small gaps would be filled out better. I went ahead and ripped that layer off and took the belt sander to clean up all the ribs. I used PL on the next attempt, but I had alot of trouble figuring out the best way to get the hardboard clamped down straight and pretty. Using just raw straps, it left "ripples". I tried to correct that by using straight edges (1" square aluminum pipe) on both ends of the hardboard, underneath the straps, but the pipes kept wanting to slide toward the middle. I also tried to apply clamps during all of this, but the angle was too steep in the rear for the clamps to hold. I finally broke down and built a jig out of some lumber I had laying around(should have started with this). Now the strap angle applies force directly down onto my pipes and they don't slide around. With the jig, the whole process is about 10x easier, and I'm getting perfect contact and seal on all edges I won't post pics of all my failed attempts lol.

The other thing I love about PL is that it doesn't run all over the place. Nice clean beads squeezed out everywhere.

Stuffed acoustafill in the transmission line since I won't have access later.

I built a plunge jig to flush trim the spare hardboard. You can see I had a little trouble getting it adjusted properly lol. Will have to correct some of that with bondo.
gixerking, BacHolz and filtor1 like this.
post #15 of 50 Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yay! You built my jig! Like you said, you should have done that to begin with, haha. It makes it so much easier. How many layers are you doing for the sides?
post #16 of 50 Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Yay! You built my jig! Like you said, you should have done that to begin with, haha. It makes it so much easier. How many layers are you doing for the sides?
Lol what's funny is I could NOT find a pic of your jig, even digging through google pics. But I remembered enough of it when you posted it way back when, so ya, thanks for the help on that. As for layers, that's my next question. I've been talking with the guy I bought the veneer from (Joe from veneer supplies) and he's put some serious fear into me about veneering on hardboard. I know you and others have done it with no problems, but I guess I would sleep better at night if I go ahead and make my final side layers 1/4" plywood. A full sheet is only $18 from home depot, and with my strap jig I'm pretty sure I can bend anything lol. So right now, I'm thinking 2 layers of hardboard, and 1 layers of 1/4" plywood. If there's any reason to not do this, lmk.

Joe also talked me out of contact cement haha. Since I have "raw veneer" (not paper back), he highly recommended using actual veneer glue. The cold press glue he sells is about the same cost as contact cement anyway, so I went ahead and ordered a gallon from him. I'm nervous about gluing the veneer down. For the flat sides, I'll use scraps of MDF and tons of clamps to press it down. For the curves sides, I'm thinking I'll use the strap jig and layers of spare hardboard to apply pressure. Open to suggestions on this as well.
post #17 of 50 Old 12-15-2016, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm pretty far from applying a finish to the veneer but I'd like to game plan and start testing on pieces of the ash veneer I have. I've done a ton of reading, but I'm still trying to better understand the whole process. I am going to want to apply color. I'm going for a reddish brown, but not too dark. I really like the idea of using dyes, because of the freedom to create the shade you want as well as apply multiple layers to keep adding color/shade. I'm also hoping to get the grain to "pop" as much as possible. I read about grain filler, but most reviews I read said it can be difficult to get grain filler to match the final tone of the whole project.

I went to woodcraft to get some advice, but the guy there recommended oil stains and top coating with urethane. I'd have to wipe/brush both of those and I'd way rather spray. So I think I'd rather try the shellac + water based polyurethane many users here have used.

Here's what I'm thinking so far. Basically what PassingInterest does:

1. Apply 1 or 2 coats of Zinsser SealCoat Shellac. What's the purpose of applying this non-dyed layer first, before dye?
2. Apply some number of layers of dyed shellac. Or use dye+water/alcohol here?
3. Apply some number of layers of "Gloss Minwax Water-Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane" to achieve level of gloss desired. Does poly need to be thinned to spray?

One issue I read about was when dying ash, users had a hard time getting dyes to penetrate into pores. Will the initial layer of shellac help keep this from happening?

Another question I have is about dying using water and/or alcohol as your substrate, or mixing it into shellac. Some guys have the opinion that dye in shellac won't actually penetrate the wood, but simply leave tinted layers. I'm not opposed to that, but which method might be easier for a beginner sprayer? I've sprayed before, but def need some practice. I will likely use the cheapo HVLP gun from harbor freight.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
post #18 of 50 Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Nice work.
I'll be watching this with interest as I'm prototyping for a build next year where the front and rear panels are curved; it'll look reminiscent of a SF Stradivari, but the rear will be deeper with more of a V x-section. I've never done a curved build so I'm scouring all the old threads for tips.
Patzig likes this.
post #19 of 50 Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Spent all week getting layers glue up. Ended up going with 3 layers of 3/16" hardboard (Masonite), followed with an outer layer of 1/4" plywood (cheapo Home Depot stuff). This came out to an actual thickness of just under 3/4", so I'm pretty happy with it. The cabs are now already crazy heavy. On my first attempt at gluing the 1/4" plywood on, not thinking about it, I clamped it down with the grain perpendicular to the cabinet. As I cranked it down, I broke the sheet in half lol. I then realized it was much easier to bend the plywood parallel to the grain, imagine that lol. It wasn't as easy to clamp down as the hardboard, but it shaped up nicely. I trimmed up the cabs and sanded it all down. Really happy with them so far.

Got the holes cut out too

post #20 of 50 Old 12-19-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That really looks amazing! I'm glad I followed this thread.
Patzig likes this.
post #21 of 50 Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Impressive work! Reminds me of the hull of a ship. You've got a lot more woodworking patience than I do. I start my projects with the best intentions but sometimes the finished product doesn't reflect it.

Oh and let my know/send your contact info if you want some JBL gear. I saw your PM but can't reply until I accumulate a few more posts.

Nice work though! Maybe sometime I can see it in person.
post #22 of 50 Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What drivers does this build use?
post #23 of 50 Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
These look great so far!
Patzig likes this.
post #24 of 50 Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
What drivers does this build use?
http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_1.html
Patzig likes this.
post #25 of 50 Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
I "finished" my home theater a few months ago, which left me speakerless in the living room (1899's moved into theater), so I've decided to build a pair of Uluwatu's for music in the main living area. I have officially joined the "WAF" club, so I now must consider how all future speaker builds will affect her I've built dozens of square/rectangular cabinets, but I've decided to step my game up and attempt to build some curved towers. I am also going to try to veneer these cabinets. No experience with building curves or veneering, so I'm open to any advice/tips/tricks I can get. Special thanks to @dtsdig , @PassingInterest , and others for inspiration and posting their experiences with building curves and veneering.

I have stared the build, I'll post progress below. Here's my hi-tech paint sketch for the curved braces. I made the widest part of the cabinet a little wider than what was recommended by Curt, but overall I will lose some internal volume, with that curvature near the rear baffle.

I guess I just caught on to the waf part, congrats man! A gal that will accept the 1899's among other things is a keeper
post #26 of 50 Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCharles73 View Post
Impressive work! Reminds me of the hull of a ship. You've got a lot more woodworking patience than I do. I start my projects with the best intentions but sometimes the finished product doesn't reflect it.

Oh and let my know/send your contact info if you want some JBL gear. I saw your PM but can't reply until I accumulate a few more posts.

Nice work though! Maybe sometime I can see it in person.
Thanks! I will pm you my email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post
I guess I just caught on to the waf part, congrats man! A gal that will accept the 1899's among other things is a keeper
Haha thanks man. She is a keeper for sure. She even likes to roll duratex for me!
post #27 of 50 Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Took a break for the holidays, but back at it. Got the other speaker caught up.

Started smoothing them over too, almost ready for veneer.

In the meantime, I've been working on my formula for the finish. I'm on my 5th test piece lol. I think I'm getting close though. Can't wait to start spraying.

psyvision, ja00, Fattykidd and 1 others like this.
post #28 of 50 Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gonna be gorgeous!
Patzig likes this.
post #29 of 50 Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Got the veneering done last weekend. Learned quite a bit. Some helpful tips, for anyone interested: If it's your first time, I'd recommend using paper back veneer (not raw wood), unless you have a vacuum press. I imagine it's alot more forgiving. Flatter, easier to glue down, less likely to tear and split. Dtsdig explained his process of gluing down his paper backed veneer with contact cement and it sounded much easier than what I went through. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my ash veneer was far from flat. I was able to apply enough even pressure on all the flat (non curved) sides, to get the veneer glued down flat. But on the curved sides, my strap jig didn't apply anywhere near the amount of pressure I needed to get the veneer pressed flat. And I cranked the straps almost to the point of breaking them. What I ended up with was "ripples" on the curved sides. Luckily, I applied enough glue to actually fill out those ripples and adhere all the veneer without any bubbles. And even more luckily, the ripples were shallow enough to where I was actually able to sand them out. I came pretty close in some spots though...I started to see the veneer glue seep through the grain where I sanded the most. And I'll only get away with that because I'm dying the cabinets dark enough to cover up any glue bleed through.

As far as cold press veneer glue, I tried Better Bond and Titlebond. I ended up liking Better Bond more. It's thicker and easier to work with. When I rolled the titlebond, it ran and thinned out too easily. That resulted in some spots drying before I could get the veneer pressed down. The Better Bond sat up better and stayed thick.

My other big issue was the veneer splitting at edges. I didn't have any big tear out spots, but I did fill small cracks and chipped corners with bondo wood filler. On my tests, the cured bondo didn't take dye as well as the ash veneer did, so I actually ended up putting a couple drops of dye into the bondo while mixing it. It still cured hard with the dye in it, and now those spots will end up a little darker, so I think it'll blend in with the grain once the finish is complete.

Overall, I'm pretty happy how the veneer job came out. All the mistakes were correctable. I think if I veneer in the future, I'll do it with a vacuum press setup. A vacuum press would also help get curved layers built.

I also got the crossovers all soldered up with wiring and connectors this week. I'm planning to spray dye/shellac/top coat this weekend and maybe even have the speakers finished early next week! I'll post my final process for the finish soon too.

Once the veneer was glued flat and sanded down, the curl really started to pop.

ja00 and d_c like this.
post #30 of 50 Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Really really nice build, this is going to my shortlist of upcoming project, gotta do something, right

A couple of questions though:

1: Are you going to put more stuffing in it?
2: How is the transmission line working when the port is on the baffle?
3: Would you mind sharing your drawings here?

Can't wait to see them finished, and also get some listening impressions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page