AVS Forum banner

2453H-SL on STX825 waveguide over 2265g-1 center channel

36K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Joustingstick 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got this together the other day to replace a 3677 I was using as a center channel. I needed something that could fit under my screen and wanted something to that would match my left and right closer (4722 with 2452h-be). Very happy with how this came out, sounds great. I considered using the D2430k, but I like the 4" aquaplas and Be CDs better after comparing them back to back.

I'm running this full active driven by a pair of NC400s using brutefir for processing with filters from FIR Designer and an RME fireface UFX+ interface. Keeping the noise floor low was a challenge, but the good interface plus a 12db pad from an autoformer worked well. I compared the 4722s with the network driven by my AVR to running with the active setup and the active config actually ended up quieter.

My build on left, 3677 right.

Dialed in response averaged around listening position

guts, 3636 autoformer and 100uf cap

bracing and damping

CD w/ spacer

"Rough" eq/xover, will refine this later.... 1/48 smoothing with 35 cycle window.

time aligned step response and impulse. Some room interaction here. I wanted to measure this outside, but winter and snow had different ideas.

linear phase

native response of 2453h-sl on stx825 w/ spacer. There's a bit of a gnarly dip/phase issue without it.

All components without any EQ

impedance

in place

Finally got some off axis measurements of something using the same waveguide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice! How much did this cost? I wish you tried out the DIYSG BA-750 and SEOS 18 guide. It would be interesting to compare nonetheless.

#10 ·
I made this thread just for the speaker, since the other thread has a mass of content. I don't see a need to replace the 4722s at this time. The LF section is great and the 2384 gets the job done well. They're the right size for what I want there. I just need someone to buy this 3677 now so it can stop taking up space lol.

#16 ·
I like my 2447 better than the 2446 I had. It does drop off around 15-16khz in the 2352 horn I have. The trade off is it can extend down to 500-600hz.

#28 ·
Haha, pure awesomeness! Your subs and LCR make your projection screen look like a 50 inch TV...you need to be there to get a sense of scale no doubt. I would love to experience this some time...I'm certain this system would make most cinemas sound like a HTIB, lol. What's next...or have you staved off any notions of upgrades?

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
What do you think of the STX waveguide vs 2384? Do you feel its a decent compromise? Is there much of a difference? Thanks for your contributions in testing the various large format compression drivers...I've never heard one in a home setting and I'm interested in trying it out... perhaps cloning a 4722 but using a different lower section maybe if I can't find the 265-h2 drivers at a reasonable price.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

#31 · (Edited)
The STX waveguide seems to be ok down to like 800hz, but that's as low as you can really run it. It's newer JBL tech so it should be solid, but I haven't gotten to measure off axis on it yet.

The 2384 is awesome, but it's also huge. The 2384 provides a good coverage pattern with smooth off axis response. If you can fit it, don't see any reason not to. The STX waveguide won't control the pattern down as low, but it seems fine to me so far using at with a steep 800hz xover. Sounds great, no complaints, but I am also using it in a treated room... At some point I'll get it out into a field and take some measurements, but no idea when that's gonna be.

If you're going to clone the 4722, no need to use a 265h-2, you might want to look at the 2265hpl. I used a single 2265g-1 just to keep impedance close to the 4722s bottoms I use for the L/R, but if you're using 2 15s, any of the H drivers in parallel should do. The 2265hpl is a better driver than the 265h-2 and easier to get a hold of. They're all good diff drive units, but if using only one, the 265h-2 can't handle as much power.

When I checked on the price/availability of the 265h-2, there was a big lead time, and the price didn't make sense. The 2265s should do just fine.

#35 ·
good eye. that seems to be it. i wouldn't be surprised if that was when they shifted from producing cones in ca to mexico. anyway...perhaps they are available. note also, the ribbing is gone.

265H-1 is still listed on the main web spec page:

while the spec sheet has been updated to reflect the new (dark) cones. it seems the change was made at least as far back as 2009 as that is the date on the pdf properties reflecting the change to the 265h-2

so, sites like this may just be using the old model number, since the picture is showing the dark cone.

original with light cones

newer vintage (2013 or so).

Attachments

#39 ·
Notnyt,

How do you like the center after using it for some time now? The 2265 is an interesting diver. Probably works as well as a 2226 possibly a bit better. I would agree about the 4" CD's VS any of the 3" including the D2.

Sorry if you posted somewhere else about it.

#42 ·
Hi Notnyt,

I am currently running a 2452SL with a JMLC 350hz horn.

I am finishing my Home theatre at the moment. The plan is to use the 2452SL's, but to change the horn and bass drivers.

Priority no 1 is smooth pattern control as per the Harman research.

After this, I ideally want a CD setup, low crossover point (600hz or so), but comparatively low dispersion (60 degrees or so.), but this seams almost impossible to get.

I was looking at the horn choices (plan is to mount them in wall), and keep coming back to the:

SEOS24
ZXPC 11 x 9 (Klipsch copy) waveguides.

I have available several choices for bass drivers around:
JBL 2242 (18 inch)
AE TD10M (10 inch)
JBL 2206 (12 inch)

Or purchase an alternative.

Given the choice, Ideally I would like to use the 2242 18" drivers, but don't know if they would work crossed over at the frequencies the horns can meet it at.

Basically, I don't want to mess this up!

Have I missed any good choices and can you offer any advice?
Thanks.

#43 ·
Hi Notnyt,

I am currently running a 2452SL with a JMLC 350hz horn.

I am finishing my Home theatre at the moment. The plan is to use the 2452SL's, but to change the horn and bass drivers.

Priority no 1 is smooth pattern control as per the Harman research.

After this, I ideally want a CD setup, low crossover point (600hz or so), but comparatively low dispersion (60 degrees or so.), but this seams almost impossible to get.

I was looking at the horn choices (plan is to mount them in wall), and keep coming back to the:

SEOS24
ZXPC 11 x 9 (Klipsch copy) waveguides.

I have available several choices for bass drivers around:
JBL 2242 (18 inch)
AE TD10M (10 inch)
JBL 2206 (12 inch)

Or purchase an alternative.

Given the choice, Ideally I would like to use the 2242 18" drivers, but don't know if they would work crossed over at the frequencies the horns can meet it at.

Basically, I don't want to mess this up!

Have I missed any good choices and can you offer any advice?
Thanks.
If crossing around 600-800hz, I'd say use a 15in. The 2265hpl are readily available and good.

I'd use the 2384 waveguide. you'll get about a 90x50 pattern. If you stack a pair of 15s they'll have a rad pat similar to the horn at the xover point, you may even want to consider doing an mtm. 60 is a bit narrow for horiz, would not go so low.

I have the 2384 with 2452h with be diaphragms, and I xover at 650hz to a pair of 15s.

#46 ·
2242= 38db down at 1m 80W. Thats about 118db (Ignoring power compression etc )

comparing the alternative directly:

2226= 38db down at 1m 60W. Thats about 115 db

The 2242 wins on this front and would equal 2x 2226 drivers. But of course I would likely have to drive the horn lower to meet it, and that would increase the distortion on the horn....meh, perhaps I should just assume JBL know what they are doing with their driver choices.

However, as I'm all digital for my crossovers, I can do 96db/oct filters

... decisions decisions!

#47 ·
2242= 38db down at 1m 80W. Thats about 118db (Ignoring power compression etc )

comparing the alternative directly:

2226= 38db down at 1m 60W. Thats about 115 db

The 2242 wins on this front and would equal 2x 2226 drivers. But of course I would likely have to drive the horn lower to meet it, and that would increase the distortion on the horn....meh, perhaps I should just assume JBL know what they are doing with their driver choices.

However, as I'm all digital for my crossovers, I can do 96db/oct filters

... decisions decisions!
Why are you looking at old drivers? Check the 2216nd or the 2265hpl. Also the resonances and breakup on the 15 are higher up in the frequency range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.