MODIFY Z5500 Z-5500 logitechs and an add on tweeter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 15
MODIFY Z5500 Z-5500 logitechs and an add on tweeter

PURELY FOR GAMING on the PC

Has anyone added tweeters to the Z5500?

Adding 5 x tweeter for each speaker

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/day...m-dome-tweeter

I need to add a capacitor to each speaker, but do not know which type.

Can anyone help?

Any hints, etc

7.2 system at home runs 2 x anthony gallo TR1 subs and 7 x A'Diva, so the Logitech is ONLY for the PC to play games on.

I have Audio Technica headphones too, but like the 5.1 for games
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post
PURELY FOR GAMING on the PC

Has anyone added tweeters to the Z5500?

Adding 5 x tweeter for each speaker

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/day...m-dome-tweeter

I need to add a capacitor to each speaker, but do not know which type.

Can anyone help?

Any hints, etc

7.2 system at home runs 2 x anthony gallo TR1 subs and 7 x A'Diva, so the Logitech is ONLY for the PC to play games on.

I have Audio Technica headphones too, but like the 5.1 for games
Ok I will bite.... why would you attempt this? The set is essentially a htib if you are not happy with them it would likely be easier and yield better results to build (or buy) something all together different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Hey @super kermit

In my opinion this is already a great speaker set. My old roommate had this kit and we used it in the livingroom for several years for music, movies and games. The response curve is not flat for sure due to slightly boomy sub, small satellites and one way design on the satellites. So I do kind of get why you'd have this idea.

BUT, here is a curve I found of the Z5500 (orange line in left graph is the original I believe).

So they do drop off SLIGHTLY at the higher end, but I really don't think this should be a big deal. On a side note: The satellites really go low and so does the output on the amp to the satellites, I remember playing Jurassic Park pretty loud and we were right at the limits of the satellites as far as lower frequencies (seems like they even got down to 100-120Hz ok, really surprising for such a small speaker, I think those drivers were really powerful and well designed).

Anyway, I just swapped out the three front satellites for some bigger speakers and connected them to the amp built into the sub. Man they sounded great. Full sound from big speakers. Center was my JBL S-Center (3 way, dual 5.5-inch woofers, 150 watts, 80 to 20,000 Hz freq resp). L&R were my Bose 701 towers (dual 8" woofers, 400watts). It sounded so good. Deep sound even without the sub. The amp was putting out power at lower frequencies and the center, L and R had large full sound.

So, my suggestion would be maybe to upgrade just those three speakers with something slightly larger, 2 way design, keep everything else the same. It made a huge difference in our setup, really impressed me.

Still those Logitech satellites and their drivers were really good in my opinion, I wouldn't add the tweeters myself, but you might just try adjusting them, because they might be a bit directional being one ways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC-logitech_z5500.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1890873  

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page