Titan-615 General Discussion Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 858Likes

post #331 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Come one man.. so if you close your eyes and your talking to someone and they drop to the floor and keep talking.. You can't tell...seriously. DTSX works with our ability to hear object move on the vertical plane and I'm pretty darn sensitive to the vertical plane.

I've had a center , above, below and behind and to pretend I can't tell the vocals aren't locked onto the screen is just crazy. The difference is quite huge.

Is it the end of the world ... no of course not. But it is what it is.
I wonder if anyone has actually ABX tested to see how sensitive we actually are? Assuming that all three were behind an AT screen and placed exactly where the otherwise would be placed. I know having the horizontal center in my view may play a role in my feeling that I notice the difference. If I couldn't actually see the horizontal center (or any of the other speakers), I wonder if that would have a not insignificant effect on my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Quote:
Come one man.. so if you close your eyes and your talking to someone and they drop to the floor and keep talking.. You can't tell...seriously. DTSX works with our ability to hear object move on the vertical plane and I'm pretty darn sensitive to the vertical plane.

I've had a center , above, below and behind and to pretend I can't tell the vocals aren't locked onto the screen is just crazy. The difference is quite huge.

Thats not what I said at all. Of course you can tell in your example. What I said is more like this. Stand 10ft away from some kind of a ventriloquist that can project their own voice and still move their lips and have a conversation. This is hypothetical. Suppose you dont know theyre a ventriloquist and they have the conversation with their voice down around their waist or even knees. As your eyes watch their lips and face and body language, you may not easily identify the that the sound is coming from a few feet vertically low. Keep in mind youre 10 ft away. Closing your eyes is exactly the opposite of what I said.

That would not be as EASILY heard as the same change in the horizontal direction. I did NOT say you would not hear it. Im not even sure how you could interpret my post that way?!?

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #333 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
I wonder if anyone has actually ABX tested to see how sensitive we actually are? Assuming that all three were behind an AT screen and placed exactly where the otherwise would be placed. I know having the horizontal center in my view may play a role in my feeling that I notice the difference. If I couldn't actually see the horizontal center (or any of the other speakers), I wonder if that would have a not insignificant effect on my experience.
A good additional test would be to start testing with a horizontal center in line with the vertical LR then varying the vertical location of the horizontal center channel to determine at what point a difference can be heard.

I am guessing it's also a matter of what we are used to hearing. I don't have a screen so I haven't heard what a center behind a screen would sound like. But my center is only about 4-6" below ear level, tilted slightly up so that points to ear level at listening position. My LRs are right at level. It sounds just fine to me, but that's probably because my center is closer to the TV than it is to the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
... We are MORE sensitive to horizontal cues than vertical. Especially when our eyes provide the brain with an input that is the screen. Our brains help put the sound where it belongs in the vertical position. Theres no debate there, its fact.
Quote:
Come one man.. so if you close your eyes and your talking to someone and they drop to the floor and keep talking.. You can't tell...seriously...

Umm... not even remotely the same thing.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #335 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Wasn't this thread about a certain new speaker?

Q1: I'd need a short center as my AT screen "floats" hence the bottom of the screen (screen height = 55") marks the bottom of the speaker. The horn would be to high up as it is. I don't think it would be a problem to cut the baffle below the woofer and put the ports elsewhere (while preserving the same internal cabinet volume), does it? This way the horn would be exactly in the center of the screen height.

Q2: My L&R are not behind the AT screen, but free standing. I don't fancy the naked behind of the double horn with exposed speaker wire. Can one make a narrow cabinet, the same baffle width as the horn, and with the horn integrated in the cabinet (like the SEOS designs)? And can it be done without altering the crossover? I would even prefer not to have the L&R standing on the floor, but mounting them, again making sure the horn is in the center of the screen height (4' - my seats are 4" elevated BTW)
cdy2179, dwaleke, NWCgrad and 2 others like this.

Building a 9.1.6 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [Surrounds] • Volt 10 altered and added passive radiators [Tops] • LLT 550 liter Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • Marantz MM8003 [2] • NU6000 • XMC-1 [RMC-1 with Dirac Unison wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU
post #336 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Thats not what I said at all. Of course you can tell in your example. What I said is more like this. Stand 10ft away from some kind of a ventriloquist that can project their own voice and still move their lips and have a conversation. This is hypothetical. Suppose you dont know theyre a ventriloquist and they have the conversation with their voice down around their waist or even knees. As your eyes watch their lips and face and body language, you may not easily identify the that the sound is coming from a few feet vertically low. Keep in mind youre 10 ft away. Closing your eyes is exactly the opposite of what I said.

That would not be as EASILY heard as the same change in the horizontal direction. I did NOT say you would not hear it. Im not even sure how you could interpret my post that way?!?
I understand what you're getting at I just disagree as I've had all possible setups. Sure in a living room Having the center a tad low it's less of a big deal and your brain knows the vocals should come from the screen. In a HT on the other hand it's very very obvious as the center is pushed quite a bit above or below the mains. You can choose to ignore it and get used to it but I've found properly placing the center adds quite a bit more to the experience and imersivness.

So basically I disagreed with downplaying the importance of all 3 being on the same level and stating our brains will make the need to be on the same plane obsolete. Sure sometimes we have to make compromises or choose too.. But some compromises have aa pretty big negative impact.
post #337 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
You can make a custom woofer cabinet that is shorter or narrower assuming you keep the internal volume the same. The horn isn't designed to be placed in a speaker cabinet in the same airspace as the woofer because the horn won't really seal up well without modifications. The way around that would be to make a small sealed chamber for the horn separating it from the woofer.

Also just because I have seen it asked the horn is 16.25" wide.

And in case no one looked at the official design thread I posted this the other day:
post #338 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Umm... not even remotely the same thing.
Yeah I should have said standing 10 feet away eyes open and their vocals drop from their mouth to their knees. Would you notice something isn't right .. yes..yes you would.
post #339 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
You can make a custom woofer cabinet that is shorter or narrower assuming you keep the internal volume the same. The horn isn't designed to be placed in a speaker cabinet in the same airspace as the woofer because the horn won't really seal up well without modifications. The way around that would be to make a small sealed chamber for the horn separating it from the woofer.

And in case no one looked at the official design thread I posted this the other day:
So it won't affect the sound to mount the waveguide into the cabinet so long as it's sealed off from the woofer?
That's good news. I was contemplating making a one piece cabinet with separate chambers for the waveguide and woofer.
Link to the official thread? Simce this one has exited the rails and is off in some unknown territory.
post #340 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
So it won't affect the sound to mount the waveguide into the cabinet so long as it's sealed off from the woofer?
That's good news. I was contemplating making a one piece cabinet with separate chambers for the waveguide and woofer.
Link to the official thread? Simce this one has exited the rails and is off in some unknown territory.
Off the rails indeed. Everytime I see this thread bumped I come to check it hoping that Erich or Matt have come to include a link to the order page. But each time there's a new post, I'm sorely disappointed.

Here's the link to the official thread for the speaker on HiFi: Titan 615LX.
NanPatterson likes this.
post #341 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Off the rails indeed. Everytime I see this thread bumped I come to check it hoping that Erich or Matt have come to include a link to the order page. But each time there's a new post, I'm sorely disappointed.

Here's the link to the official thread for the speaker on HiFi: Titan 615LX.
Thanks Vic.
post #342 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand what you're getting at I just disagree as I've had all possible setups. Sure in a living room Having the center a tad low it's less of a big deal and your brain knows the vocals should come from the screen. In a HT on the other hand it's very very obvious as the center is pushed quite a bit above or below the mains. You can choose to ignore it and get used to it but I've found properly placing the center adds quite a bit more to the experience and imersivness.

So basically I disagreed with downplaying the importance of all 3 being on the same level and stating our brains will make the need to be on the same plane obsolete. Sure sometimes we have to make compromises or choose too.. But some compromises have aa pretty big negative impact.
So youre disagreeing with the facts of science that I presented Advanced Theatre when he claimed we're sensitive in the vertical direction, or you do agree with that and we agree that a horizontal center is a compromise, much the same way an AT screen is a compromise? Either you are wrong about science or we agree.

I dont believe Ive made any statements in this thread about how serious of a compromise a horizontal center is? Ive only taken issue with the misrepresentation of known facts that advanced theatre made. I only added the part about our eyes feeding the brain additional info to help temper his extreme view point. So the only thing we may disagree about is how much of a compromise a horizontal center is. To that I would not debate someone because I believe this moves into a personal choice / every case is different realm that isnt for me to decide. I will only temper comments like Advanced theatre made as they are extreme and in one instance plane wrong.

We have two ears. Both are horizontally spaced apart. Vertically aligned. The physiology alone tells us we are more sensitive to hearing in the horizontal direction.

post #343 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I should have said standing 10 feet away eyes open and their vocals drop from their mouth to their knees. Would you notice something isn't right .. yes..yes you would.
Come on. Why are you trying to make me sound like I said something dumb. You think what I said was plane silly?

I never said you wouldnt notice something isnt right. Im saying it wouldnt be nearly as extreme as if someone fell to the floor as in your example. Please try and give me the benefit of the doubt and comment on what my posts are actually trying to convey.
cdy2179 likes this.

post #344 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I notice that the sketch of the front is different to the actual model... The horn is too big in the sketch! I thought it was bigger, but as you state the horn is 16.25" on top of a woofer cabinet of 25".

16.25" would be a relatively slender speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan-615 sample.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1916961   Click image for larger version

Name:	titan615c.png
Views:	1010
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1916969  

Building a 9.1.6 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [Surrounds] • Volt 10 altered and added passive radiators [Tops] • LLT 550 liter Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • Marantz MM8003 [2] • NU6000 • XMC-1 [RMC-1 with Dirac Unison wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU
post #345 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah that drawing is not to scale, the waveguide is a bit smaller and the woofer cabinet is larger then it shows.
post #346 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Very nice... So basically the sound doesn't change at all if you are 30° off axis. Exactly what I need.

post #347 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry to be .nal but do you have the exact height of the horn section? Looks about 18"?

post #348 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is about a 2dB drop in level at 30 degrees off axis above ~600hz.

Here is the frequency response taken in 10 degree increments:
EarlK, Hifisound and bochoss like this.
post #349 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Sorry to be .nal but do you have the exact height of the horn section? Looks about 18"?
It's about 16.875".
post #350 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Impressive..
AdvancedTheater likes this.
post #351 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

What was the resolution of those measurements ? Can we get some background info on where these came from, how they were done, and information about them ?
post #352 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
It has been tested. There is official center channel height recommendations within the industry. Managing discrepancy in height between the center and the L and R is important, also managing discrepancy in height of all of them relative to the screen is also important. Ideally, all three are the same height, and very near the center of the screen. Some variation is ok, but there is certainly a place where it becomes a problem too.

Quote:

Yes. You are correct, but what you are relying on in your premise is you will be able to trick your brain enough to make the results good. The problem with that is that is very variable and should not be counted upon. It's obviously a lot better choice to actually make the sound come from that location.

On another interesting area:

There is some really interesting things that can happen with psychoacoustics that are a result of how the brain/ear process information.

One audio "cool" item is the precedence effect. Basically the brain assigns a location for sound based on the first arriving sound so sometimes sound that follows it will be understood as coming from the same location. When I took THX audio classes one of the instructors used a track (Kari Bremnes Norwegian Mood Track 2 - Coastal Ships) to showcase this effect how bass which is believed to be omnidirectional can ping pong back and forth left to right because of proper integration and calibration of the subwoofers and main speakers. There is a low bass drum that hits left and right, which you clearly can experience when the system is dialed in. The reason is because the initial the drum strike to the head hits and arrives first, clueing your brain to that as a location to which your brain also assigns location to the bass even though it's routed and XOer to the subwoofers which are not in those locations. Very cool indeed. Worth a try.

Another "cool" is the Mcgurk Effect. That's a combo of sound, and sight. Your brain will hear something differently when it has visual information. Basically it's an interaction between hearing and vision that effects speech perception.

Check this out:

Kind of cool huh ?

However regarding your claims, while you are technically correct your brain can assign a location or perceive sound is coming from a different place, I think I would caution someone from over relying on that. There is in fact official specifications and recommendations regarding center channel placement that are not just arbitrarily thrown out there but rather exist specifically to minimize problems and maximize performance. The best option is to stay within the official guidelines if possible. Usually there is specifications for location and have a +/- XXdegrees attached, I think most audio companies like Dolby, DTS and Auro3D put those out, as well as companies like THX, or the commercial and international broadcast standards. Best option is always to remain within the recommendations, and to side as close as possible to optimum. Nothing wrong with making compromises but I would argue it's best to make a compromise knowing you are doing it, rather than being unaware.

Quote:

A side point I thought about and worth mentioning.

Yes you are correct we are more sensitive to sound coming from the ground, likely a developed evolutionary trait. Interesting point is: The new DTS-X spec has full blow support for floor speakers in it's schematic and within the designed system. It's all in the whitepapers and technical specs, but I do not believe it's been brought to market or utilized yet. Perhaps it's scrapped idea, perhaps market is not ready yet. Just figured I would mention that since it relates a little. I think the idea was to capitalize on the aspect of human hearing, and allow placement of 3D object in space better. Having floor speakers would allow more options to place objects in space. I am not sure if they felt this might be needed because of the challenging acoustical home environments (low ceilings) or if they scrapped it because it's a waste of time.

Quote:
So youre disagreeing with the facts of science that I presented Advanced Theatre when he claimed we're sensitive in the vertical direction, or you do agree with that and we agree that a horizontal center is a compromise, much the same way an AT screen is a compromise? Either you are wrong about science or we agree.

I dont believe Ive made any statements in this thread about how serious of a compromise a horizontal center is? Ive only taken issue with the misrepresentation of known facts that advanced theatre made. I only added the part about our eyes feeding the brain additional info to help temper his extreme view point. So the only thing we may disagree about is how much of a compromise a horizontal center is. To that I would not debate someone because I believe this moves into a personal choice / every case is different realm that isnt for me to decide. I will only temper comments like Advanced theatre made as they are extreme and in one instance plane wrong.

We have two ears. Both are horizontally spaced apart. Vertically aligned. The physiology alone tells us we are more sensitive to hearing in the horizontal direction.
A horizontal is not a serious compromise UNLESS it does not match sonically with the L and R speakers. So a well designed horizontal center is fine. You obviously understand this since you went through a lot of work to make the 1099 work both ways and sound the same. I am pretty sure we agree on a Horizontal center being a compromise, and if needed to make that compromise then it's best to make it match as close as possible. This also includes and should match both the sound and speaker behavior, and also match the height and be located as close to possible as the exact center position between the L and R. I also think we agree that near the floor is the worse place for it (at least out of the options that still keep it between the L and R ). So I really don't think we disagree at all. Unless you don't feel my summary here is accurate. I think half the disagreement was some misunderstanding, and perhaps the other half is just opinion on how much compromise it actually is and whether that is indeed acceptable or not. I don't see the point in fighting over the second part since each opinion can be valid regarding the level of compromise and it's acceptability. However I do feel that locating the center between the L and R, in the same height, and having it match the L and R is indeed important and should be view as "best option" whenever possible. When it is not possible I think it would be generally best to minimize all the potential problems that can arise so that an acceptable level of performance and compromise can result. The truth hurts though, sometimes it's important to realize a compromise has been made, rather than use the natural human empathy tendency to say "it's ok". I've many times seen people say stuff like "it's ok" after a funeral, loss of pet, after a loss of a sports game, an injury, a lost bet, and such other events and I always wonder to myself "is it really ok?" or are people just being nice? Sometimes we just say stuff because it's what we say. But luckily to most people these are not very important issues in the grand scheme of life so it's probably "ok" even if it's not really.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #353 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Pardon my criticism but the polar measurements look heavily smoothed, which obscures diffraction phenomena, narrower driver resonances, and whatnot. Otherwise, they look quite good. Though I'm surprised at how quickly the pattern widens below 600 Hz. I guess the mid horn is not really controlling pattern much below that point.
post #354 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awediophile View Post
Pardon my criticism but the polar measurements look heavily smoothed, which obscures diffraction phenomena, narrower driver resonances, and whatnot. Otherwise, they look quite good. Though I'm surprised at how quickly the pattern widens below 600 Hz. I guess the mid horn is not really controlling pattern much below that point.
600 hz wave is about 22.4 inches so a waveguide that's less than that size won't control it well. The pattern at 600hz (and below) is mostly from the woofer behavior (and orientation or number of them.) and not the waveguide. The waveguide would have to get larger to work lower in frequency since it won't work well on waves that are larger than it is. This is common behavior for most 15" speakers, and most speakers are more omnidirectional on the lower and more directional on the higher frequencies. What is more important is how the transition is made, often called or represented as DI (Directivity Index). A measurement like that Matt posted also is good, mainly because it shows not just frequency response on axis, but a more complete picture. The standard 20-20,000khz +/-3db specification is nearly worthless. It amazes me speaker manufacturers still bother to waste the ink printing it on the box and product pages.
post #355 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedTheater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awediophile View Post
600 hz wave is about 22.4 inches so a waveguide that's less than that size won't control it well. The pattern at 600hz (and below) is mostly from the woofer behavior (and orientation or number of them.) and not the waveguide. The waveguide would have to get larger to work lower in frequency since it won't work well on waves that are larger than it is. This is common behavior for most 15" speakers, and most speakers are more omnidirectional on the lower and more directional on the higher frequencies. What is more important is how the transition is made, often called or represented as DI (Directivity Index). A measurement like that Matt posted also is good, mainly because it shows not just frequency response on axis, but a more complete picture. The standard 20-20,000khz +/-3db specification is nearly worthless. It amazes me speaker manufacturers still bother to waste the ink printing it on the box and product pages.

When people stop paying for cable elevators and silver cables 20-20 will go away.

Does anyone else think an elliptical cab would look crazy good with these?
post #356 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post
When people stop paying for cable elevators and silver cables 20-20 will go away.

You don't think speaker cable stands work ?

It's amazing that you'll get some push back on an obvious concept such as scientifically unquestionable as using an identical center channel in the same vertical plane and the near middle of the L and R speakers, but something like that picture above is allowed to be promoted around. That needs to die with fire ASAP. Audio is full of dogma, it's so bad it's actually a negative to be called an "audiophile" these days. I once heard a very famous acoustician say to me "I am a recovering audiophile" and I laughed. But then I thought about it and understood what it meant, perfectly appropriate. I think that I too am a recovering audiophile sometimes. The audiophiles got a lot of things right, some of those basic things are almost lost on the new generation here. But unfortunately everyone has seen a crazy advertisement for cables or the like that is so absurd it casts a big dark shadow on good things around it, and the idiots that line up to buy it thinking the more they spend the better it will sound.

PS: I am selling hospital grade power outlets for $150 + S/H that is guaranteed to improve your amplifier sound. PM me for details. /Joke.
HT Geek likes this.
post #357 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The off axis measurements are just the mid/hi section as it was easier to set just that on my speaker turntable. As the crossover is down around 350hz I expect the woofer radiation pattern will be nearly 180 degrees at that point anyway.

It's not like I can get outdoors this time of the year to take nice clean 4pi measurements so I am limited to what I can do indoors. Yes the polar measurement is a bit over smoothed and I had to gate it to avoid picking up reflections so resolution below 600hz is not really there but I feel it is a decent representation of the off axis behavior down to that point.

Here is the polar response with a bit less smoothing:
post #358 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 06:19 PM

Humans only hear in about 1/3 octave so the sharp dips and peaks in the top end are rarely noticed unless they are pronounced. That said I would not mind seeing the higher resolution measurements. Are you planning to bring this baby outside when it warms up and updating the measurements? Do you mind giving some more information or pointer tips about how you measure ?

@ Erichh you should look into getting third party measurements on your most popular models. There is a couple labs around the country that will do it for a reasonable fee and have a real anechoic chamber. If you need assistance finding it PM me. The cost is very reasonable, perhaps the price of one kit. It could be, and probably should be, burned into the price of the units. I would imagine this might be a good experiment to try on one model to judge the validity. I had an offer once from Sean Olive, he would be interested to test a few internet direct and DIY kits if they could be sent. The conversation we had was oriented around measurements and how oddly many ID companies are perceived to be of superior quality and value on forums, but actually lack accurate measurements to validate that. There was also the suggestion by Sean that if a given product did not receive an equal or much greater amount of research and development, (both from labor and cost perspective) then it's somewhat unreasonable for anyone to assume that the product quality would be better. Personally I would be excited to see how some of the ID companies did in 3rd party measurements, especially the sophisticated ones like they do at NRC, Genelec, or Harman. I guess DIYgroup would be considered an internet direct company too. Oddly, and quite nice is the fact you actually can find more data and measurements on DIYgroup products than you can on some fancy brands. I think designers do a really great job at providing that, especially considering the effort required and the lack of support they have in that area. I predict DIYgroup products would score as well or better than most ID manufacturers. I'm not ready to declare them a Revel, but all things considered I think this is a big strength of the product rather than a weakness. It's also subjectively seen in all the reviews where the DIYgroup stuff is well received, and sometimes better than obviously more expensive or fancy products.
post #359 of 939 Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone see what's new on the DIYSG home page

So...... perhaps a powered PA variant of Titan....I know I can see the eye rolls already, but I couldn't resist.

That's an EV ETX35P w/DSP enabled plate amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DKVBSEATTLE likes this.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.
post #360 of 939 Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What's the smoothing used ? 1/3 ?

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page